OS X Mavericks in VirtualBox

70 posts in this topic

Thanks @pippox0, I followed your step-by-step instruction and now Mavericks is booting and running in VirtualBox 4.3.6.

However, I got no luck on iCloud/iMessage. With or without the /Extra/modules/FileNVRAM.dylib method.

For iCloud, OSX won't allow me to either login or create new accounts. 

For iMessage, the login box just hangs there.

Please help. 

post-52590-0-27724700-1393095686_thumb.png

post-52590-0-56021800-1393095698_thumb.png

post-52590-0-81676000-1393095713_thumb.png

Hello,

I'm new in the forum and I have tried to install Mavericks in VirtualBox, but it doesn't work. When I boot the .iso, the bootloader stops with "Still waiting for root device". I used the Hackboot_Mav.iso, but Nothing help. Has someone an idea?

My system:

Hackintosh 10.9.2

Virtualbox 4.3.8

Thanks,

luki20

I'm using OS X in VB for a while now, under Ubuntu 64 bit and Windows 7 64 Bit and even under Mac OS X itself. I am accessing it from the ipad via Temviewer most of the time, so i have a real Mac OS X on my iPad :-)

VirtualBox 4.3.8 does not work. I tried all possible options, with and without EFI (chamelon) with my exisiting Mavericks VDI.

I had to reinstall VirtualBox 4.3.6, wich is still available on the VirtualBox homepage, to get it running again.

I'm using OS X in VB for a while now, under Ubuntu 64 bit and Windows 7 64 Bit and even under Mac OS X itself. I am accessing it from the ipad via Temviewer most of the time, so i have a real Mac OS X on my iPad :-)

VirtualBox 4.3.8 does not work. I tried all possible options, with and without EFI (chamelon) with my exisiting Mavericks VDI.

I had to reinstall VirtualBox 4.3.6, wich is still available on the VirtualBox homepage, to get it running again.

Workaround is documented here https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/12736

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to this forum and i have problem installing any OSX on my laptop using VirtualBox.

My host is a linux box with archlinux 64 bit

using Asus N750JV - T4069H Intel i7 - 4700HQ and  NVIDIA GT 750M

usinv Virtualbox 4.38 (i alreday read the workaround)

. No matter wich OSX I try to install (tried allv versions of haclkboot.iso with diferent iso images) my installation stops immediatly after I hit f5 and  a message appears wich seems me it indicates a problem with the uuid of the disk (see attached image).

Is this problem related to my asus pc?, or  with linux or  what else?

I spent lot of days googling but found nothing about this-

Thx for any help

EnumaElis

post-1322260-0-55415500-1395649197_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

Niresh Osx Mavericks .ISO fails at install boot on VBox4.3.6 with Win8.1 host

no matter which boot flag I choose.

Install boot always stops at the "bluetooth transport" error message (so the issue seems to be related to the graphical virtual hardware, being the next to be loaded at boot)

Seems on VB official forums talking about OsX support is taboo/forbidden.

Yesterday I ended up installing VmWare Workstation 10.0.1 (with a pirated serial) and a preconfigured mavericks-VM (from the PirateBay)

It's a VM with 150GB thin provisioned vmdk (actually less than 8GB space effectively used on host physical harddisk).

There was just to run a batch (I inspected) to automatically move the .iso of the mavericks vmware tools to the right directory and to modify a couple of RegKeys

Plus to use a HexEditor to edit a .dll because of a issue with wmware website (just have to add a "/" in the end of url used to check for updates)

I was able to flawlessly use iTunes/AppStore to upgrade to 10.9.1 and install free iWorkSuite ("legit", no hack to do this)

There are guides to create an iTunes account without credit card and this is needed to install the iWork suite update (just download&install the old iWork9 suite from softpedia and you'll get a free upgrade)

NB upgrade to OsX 10.9.1 needs reboot: if you just care of the vm display it seems to crash during reboot, but just trust the virtual hard disk blinking green led to realize indeed it's workring even if you just see a smashed screen in the vm

Finally I added vmware-tools and SVGA-II driver from opensource project.

Actually the VM takes only 15GB on my physical harddisk, but indeed its just 2x ~8GB (I made a snapshot of the pre-configured and running Mavericks vmdk before going further with the software installations and Apple's upgrades....I'll wait a couple of days to delete the old snapshot)

OsX Mavericks guest inside VmWare Workstation10 on Win8.1 host ADVANTAGES:

• procedure works and is easy  and fast
  • OsX-vm runs like a charm (fast)
  • no extra configuration/hack needed for hardware support (es. audio works by default)
  • Time it takes: 2 hours (plus the time to download the torrent)

VmWare Workstation DISADVANTAGES:(compared to VirtualBox4.3.x or VmWare ESXi5.5)

mostly due to little virtual hardware options compared to ESXi or VBox:

• limited virtual graphic card===> Apple's Apps (es. Maps) needing OpenGL support crash. Even you have to disable hardware acceleration within Flash player plugin for Safari (download the plugin with your Windows PC as far as mavericks-vm's Safari crashes on Adobe website.)
  • no usb passthrough
  • no multitouch/gestures support for modern touchpads

I don't like to overhead the Windows Host with so many hyper-visors (I use VMs to run Windows8.1 nested in Windows8.1 as My main Os just to be free to make messes and easily revert to a previous snapshot).....but seems VmWare Workstation and VBox can coexist. Even the virtual network interfaces of the hyper-visors are not messing around with my numerous tap network interfaces (without having to configure anything manually).

Seems nobody on the internet was able to install Mavericks on a VM in VBox with Win8.1 host.

IMHO

The matter is...considering how taboo it is to write about OsX support in the official VBox forums....I think VBox will hardly support OsX guest on Win8.1 hosts....

I installed OS X Mavericks successfully on VMware but having problems with my mouse. When I get into OS X, my mouse spazzes out and moves everywhere and just clicks nonstop. Do I need to VMtools separately? If so, where do I get it from?

Thanks!

Hi,

Tried to follow the guide as well as I could. I cobbled together an ISO image file from the 'Install OSX App' downloaded from the Mavericks app store and copied the kexts into the system folders like the Dell guide that was linked in this thread. But Virtualbox after loading the hackboot and then my Mavericks.iso file stalls. I have included an image video capture of whats going on in verbose mode. In my system this video plays in Firefox.

Thanks.

I installed OS X Mavericks successfully on VMware but having problems with my mouse. When I get into OS X, my mouse spazzes out and moves everywhere and just clicks nonstop. Do I need to VMtools separately? If so, where do I get it from?

Thanks!

fklioside,

Wrong thread for help on VMware, but yes you need to install the VMware Tools. If you are running ESXi then you can select your running virtual OS X and from the vSphere Client menu choose Inventory > Virtual Machine > Guest > Install/Upgrade VMware Tools. In Workstation or Player you need to mount the darwin.iso see link below for hopefully all the help you should need:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290949-how-to-install-os-x-10x-snow-leopard-lion-mountain-lion-and-mavericks-in-vmware-workstation-910-or-player-56/?p=1936143

Or you can pick up the latest tools from the following link:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/31-vmware-tools-for-os-x-darwiniso/

Hi,

I have a question to the op of this forum. When you made your mavericks install ISO how did you do that? Did you follow the Dell guide and create a Mavericks USB key and then convert the usb key to a dmg image and then to iso? Or did you make a read/write image of 8gb in size with the Mavericks Base Image DMG imaged into it? And then copy modified kexts into it? And then convert to ISO?

The Dell guide is a lot of fun but time consuming. We need a modified guide for VM users. I have successfuly converted the 'Install Mavericks app' into an ISO but with out kexts like Nullcpu and so on. Is it possible to modifiy an ISO within OSX? Will permissions need to be corrected?

Last question: My Virtualbox configuration only lets me setup a 32bit environment template. Why no 64 bit? Will 32 bit work? Can OSX be forced to run in 32 bit mode with an archi386 boot command?

Thank you thank you very much for writing the guide and all your help.

Peace!

First of all, this guide is confusing, being unfamiliar with OSX. You could almost see the question marks hovering above my head. It needs WAY more information without going into needless details.

That aside, it doesn't work. I did follow the whole thing, but I'm stuck:

post-1343909-0-83821900-1399388317_thumb.png

I've tried adding "-v -x" and "-v -x -f" and "-v -x -F", none of these help.

I've put FakeSMC.kext into /System/Library/Extensions.

mach_kernel is in the root.

Still, this error. If you look closely, you can see an error about FakeSMC. So perhaps it's broken? I got it from Install109.zip, so I should assume it works. Maybe the problem lies elsewhere, I have no fricking idea to be honest.

What should I do to get this thing to work?

(and please, be exact)

First of all, this guide is confusing, being unfamiliar with OSX. You could almost see the question marks hovering above my head. It needs WAY more information without going into needless details.

That aside, it doesn't work. I did follow the whole thing, but I'm stuck:

attachicon.gifOSX Mavericks.png

I've tried adding "-v -x" and "-v -x -f" and "-v -x -F", none of these help.

I've put FakeSMC.kext into /System/Library/Extensions.

mach_kernel is in the root.

Still, this error. If you look closely, you can see an error about FakeSMC. So perhaps it's broken? I got it from Install109.zip, so I should assume it works. Maybe the problem lies elsewhere, I have no fricking idea to be honest.

What should I do to get this thing to work?

(and please, be exact)

I have the same issue as yours. However, I found that the image can run on other PC. 

I'm thinking that this is the HASWELL cpu issue.

(I tried this option "ahci disk=1 debug=8" It can boot a bit  deeper. but it still hang.

I have the same issue as yours. However, I found that the image can run on other PC. 

I'm thinking that this is the HASWELL cpu issue.

(I tried this option "ahci disk=1 debug=8" It can boot a bit  deeper. but it still hang.

Mavericks doesn't support Haswell cpu's? I find that hard to believe (although it *is* Apple...)

There's no way to trick the VM into thinking it's running on a different cpu model, is there? 

Btw, I'm running Mountain Lion just fine on VB on this machine, but I have to admit the installation for that has been done on a Sandy Bridge based pc.

Mavericks doesn't support Haswell cpu's? I find that hard to believe (although it *is* Apple...)

There's no way to trick the VM into thinking it's running on a different cpu model, is there? 

Btw, I'm running Mountain Lion just fine on VB on this machine, but I have to admit the installation for that has been done on a Sandy Bridge based pc.

I posted this in another thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/294504-virtualbox-sllml-and-core-i7-hasweel/?p=1975352:

VBoxManage modifyvm <vmname> --cpuidset 1 000206a7 02100800 1fbae3bf bfebfbff
  • Like 1

Hm, it installed just fine, but now it's getting stuck when booting into OSX:

post-1343909-0-01182000-1399539899_thumb.png

I'm still using the hackboot iso as described.

(edit: even though it says "reboot", it's not actually rebooting... maybe related)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have installed ML and Maverick using others methods on VirtualBox

When I activate EFI, I didn't get  resolution defined in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist anymore and stick with 1024x768

If I disable EFI, good resolution is back.

I didn't see neither Chameleon boot loader.

Any ieas ?