Asus P8B75-V - System

AtticAcoustics

9 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

I'm very new to the whole hackingtosh thing, and I basically got into this by seeing if i could dualboot win7 and OSX on my custom desktop.

Right now, I will list my hardware, and I'm downloading iPC OSX86 10 5 6, and it would be nice if someone could tell me if this is going to work when I burn it to dvd, make a partition for it and install it on the desktop.
My hardware:

Asus P8B75-V motherboard

Intel Core I5 3470 3.20gHz
WD Caviar Blue 500gb 7200 RPM

EVGA Geforce GTX580
Corsair Vengeance 8GB,1600 MHz, 9, NON-ECC (pair of 2)
OCZ StealthXStream 2 550 watt power supply

Running a 64 bit Windows 7 right now and I want to be able to choose between the Apple OS (I don't really care which one, as long as it runs Pro Tools) and my current Windows 7

So... Can I do this when I simply proceed doing what I plan to do (Burn>make partition>boot from DVD> install)
And does my PC automatically give me a choice which OS I want to boot when I turn it on? (when I have 2 operating systems installed)

I'm very sorry if I didn't post this in the right section, but I believe I did and also if I'm not supposed to post a post like this, but I just want to get this to work ASAP, because I need to run Logic (only available on Mac) and I can't spend 2000 on a macbook right now.

10.5.6 is too old for that hardware, neither the GTX 580 or any kind of Core i5 existed in 2008 when 10.5.6 was current!

Not sure from which version Core i CPUs are natively supported but I know that your video card will not work with anything before 10.7.3.

Installing OS X to a separate hard drive is highly recommended.

Seeing as 10.5.6 is not compatible with your hardware at all, it's difficult to answer when you put it that way. :rolleyes:

Mavericks is free from the App Store but the catch is that you need a Mac (or a working Hackintosh) to prepare an installer that will work on a PC. You can use any hard drive or USB flash drive, minimum 8GB.

Having a bootable installer on a partition on the same hard drive that holds your main OS X installation is extremely useful. You'll be able to use it for recovery or repairs down the line.

If you're going to do this on a real Mac take great care that you don't accidentally install the boot loader on the Macs internal drive. That's a situation you do not want to be in. Apart from that, there is no risk or danger.

With a bit of effort you could probably get that iPC distro running in a virtual machine (like VMWare) under Windows, but then you would not be able to download Mavericks - minimum requirement for the App Store is 10.6.8.

There are plenty of tutorials available on how to build the installer, the basic steps are the same for everyone, up to installing the boot loader to the installer partition or drive. With your hardware I guess you should be able to complete a retail installation and boot it afterwards with only fakesmc.kext added. Then comes the fun part, all the particulars for your specific hardware.

Don't ask about any other type of "download" here, that's against the rules.

• Like 1

I don't have, nor do I know anyone really closeby that owns a real mac, so I'll have to just do this the old fashion way and fix it myself.
Now that I know the file I downloaded cannot be used, and Maveric is probably not gonna work because I don't have a mac to prepare it, what are my options? Can I run Mountain Lion?
Today, I have about 4 days remaining before I really  need to have this fixed. Is there anyone here feeling kind enough to actually guide me through it ?(maybe through Email contact, or PM's on this forum?)
Because I'm still new to this and I barely understand what Gringo Vermelho is saying with the the kext and all the other terms.

Also, I'm sorry for asking for a download, will not repeat that action!