Dell Inspiron 530 - 10.9 - Refining my OSX system. Have I missed any possible improvements?

MilesMan

6 posts in this topic

Hello there! 

I have finally gotten my 10.9 Installation nearly perfect. Everything seems to work well however i do have a few concerns.

My Specs: 

Dell Inspiron 530

Mobo: FoxConn G33M02

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GT 640

1) My Graphics performance in OSX is not nearly as good as it is in windows. I like to play a few games (namely mine craft and League Of legends) and the FPS in my OSX install is lower by about 10-30 frames.

2) Sleep. I know that sleep and power management has been a really common issue with non native OSX machines. I have attempted to edit my own DSDT to enable sleep but no dice. The System will sleep after about 30 seconds from telling it to sleep and not instantly. The HDD spins down and all the fans stop, the power LED begins flashing like normal and it appears to be sleeping. However upon waking it up the screen remains black and the keyboard and mouse fail to respond. I have left it on for well over a few hours to see if it would eventually wake but it never does.

I have attempted using various Darkwake flags (yes,no,0-10) with no results. I have attempted changing hibernate modes, I have attempted patching AppleRTC and replacing AppleRTC with a Prepatched one all with the same results. I have attempted to use HDMI DVI, and VGA all with the same results

3) I wonder if my DSDT has been properly implemented or if i am missing a few patches.

What modifications i have done to my system so far:

I have pulled and attempted to edit my own DSDT. I have applied the following patches:

Audio, EHCI, IRQs, HPET, ICH 9 USB, IOATAFamily, LPC ICH9, MacDevices, RTC, DTGP, SMBUS, Wak,

Have i missed any crucial patches to get sleep working properly or improving my graphics performance?

Apple Smbios MacPro4,1

Latest Chameleon Bootloader

BootFlags: GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=1

NvRam module

I have achieved native power management and removed all NullCPU sleep enabler etc.

Installed latest FakeSMC and hwsensors

Rolled back AppleACPIPlatform to the one from 10.8.1

Patched AppleRTC to prevent CMOS reset on sleep

I have edited my AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext with my device ID and changed the thresholds

<key>Threshold_High</key>

<array>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>55</integer>

<integer>85</integer>

<integer>100</integer>

</array>

<key>Threshold_Low</key>

<array>

<integer>50</integer>

<integer>85</integer>

<integer>99</integer>

<integer>100</integer>

Have I input the correct thresholds for optimal graphics performance?

I have spent many months and hours doing my own research on how OSX works and how to get it to work optimally on my own machine and i think i am ready to ditch windows and make the switch for good. Are there any more technical modifications I can make to my system to enable sleep and improve my performance to that of its windows counterpart?

Thank you!

530 guy too :P

Except for I can't install... Even with AHCI enabled...(RAID in BIOS w/o configuring any drives for RAID)

So exactly how did you guys install? My 530 is Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4GB RAM, 160+500GB HDD, Sapphire HD 6570 1GB DDR3...

Thanks in advance, 

Daniel

• 2 months later...