Dell XPS 8700 haswell system - 10.9 Mavericks

slave-zeo

77 posts in this topic

I managed to get 10.9.3 installed, thank goodness for my roomie having the 10.9.3 app on his computer. After installing 10.9.3 I updated to 10.9.5 without a hitch. So now I'm running 10.9.5.

I tried making a fresh 10.10.1 install USB from the  Install OS X Yosemite.app freshly downloaded form the app store. Making the USB installer went off without a hitch as did installing clover to it. Now armed with an 8GB USB drive I set off to boot and install 10.10.1. Sadly, I've had no luck doing so. I achieved the same results as last time. Hanging shortly after it loads the FakeSMC.kext.

Next I tried running the Install OS X Yosemite.app directly from with in 10.9.5. It did it's thing and prompted me to reboot, which I did. Clover then gave me the new option to boot from my harddrive and install OS X 10.10.1. Again it hung at the same spot.

illuminarok, If you don't mind sharing the knowledge, what did you do to upgrade your 10.9.x to 10.10?

Ok, latest update. I was able to make a NEW usb installer using MacPwn-Yosemite and a 10.10 (not 10.10.1) Install OS X Yosemite.app. This time it seemed to totally error out but eventually went ahead and booted to the installer. I installed Yosemite over my 10.9.5 install and it seems to be working now. My troubles may have came from using UB to make my installer. At this point I'm not sure.