• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

slave-zeo

slave-zeo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

A new patched kernel has been released for use with the 2014-002 Security Update. 

https://www.dropbox.....2.2014-002.zip

enjoy!

albert E

albert E

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

I have managed to get installed OS X 10.9.3(first at 10.9.2) working on my Dell XPS 8700, Intel i7, 16gB ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 with 1536 Video Ram. I used all the kext mentioned in this topic except:

1.) Audio doesn't work, my audio is a SB Recon3D PCI-e. Solution:  Added VoodooHDA.kext (trashing AppleHDA on S/L/E) and leaving HDAEnabler1.kext too!

2.) Internal Wireless doesn't work, Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235. Solution: Installed a USB Wi-Fi N

3. No restart/shutdown yet.

Does anybody had a solution for item #3 (restart & shutdown fix)?

Thanks for any help.

Update: June 4, 2014

1) Restart/Shutdown miraCUOUSLY works but takes time to about 30s to restart and/or shutdown. As long it works, will investigate why in the next chapter.

2) Memory card reader also works. No Kext. it just works. :-)

3) Will try to install OS X Yosemite but I doubt it'll work.  Watch in this channel/forum.

Update: June 23, 2014, 9:40am

1. I was successful in installing OS X Yosemite DP1 (now DP2) using the Clover method describe in: http://www.insanelym...taller-updated/

although I have to use a USB drive (as first boot) to boot the OS. At this moment, it is stable, everything works except as described from previous OS X Mavericks installation (above). 

slave-zeo

slave-zeo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Stupid me. I had Intel Multidisplay enabled in the BIOS. I disabled it and then smooth sailing.

For some strange reason when I tried to reinstall my system from an USB installer of 10.9.3 It won't boot properly. The USB drive was made form the 10.9.3 app store download. It installs fine using dart=0. It even boot into safe mode. But on normal reboot it hangs on the command right after the one where it throws a bluetooth error. I'm not sure what the offending command is since there's no output after the bluetooth error. I do not believe the bluetooth error is the problem, though. :(  I'll post a pic of the error screen if I'm fast enough to catch it.

You can get away from not patching the kernel by using the clover bootloader's KernelPM setting, setting it to true in the clover.config file. I've migrated from using chameleon to clover in the past couple of weeks. It has a lot of really nice features. Sadly my install does the same thing regardless of using a patched kernel/chameleon or clover.

Has anyone else used the 10.9.3 download to install OS X on their 8700s. Just curious.

Machine's specs are in my signature.

I have managed to get installed OS X 10.9.3(first at 10.9.2) working on my Dell XPS 8700, Intel i7, 16gB ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 with 1536 Video Ram. I used all the kext mentioned in this topic except:

1.) Audio doesn't work, my audio is a SB Recon3D PCI-e. Solution:  Added VoodooHDA.kext (trashing AppleHDA on S/L/E) and leaving HDAEnabler1.kext too!

2.) Internal Wireless doesn't work, Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235. Solution: Installed a USB Wi-Fi N

3. No restart/shutdown yet.

Does anybody had a solution for item #3 (restart & shutdown fix)?

Thanks for any help.

Update: June 4, 2014

1) Restart/Shutdown miraCUOUSLY works but takes time to about 30s to restart and/or shutdown. As long it works, will investigate why in the next chapter.

2) Memory card reader also works. No Kext. it just works. :-)

3) Will try to install OS X Yosemite but I doubt it'll work.  Watch in this channel/forum.

I managed to install 10.10 DP1 on my 8700 but I'm getting the same boot error problem I get from 10.9.3. No boot, hangs after bluetooth error. Let me know if you figure anything out.

illuminarok

illuminarok

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

What is your Clover setup like? I haven't used it but I'm interested in the unpatched kernel trick you spoke of. 

slave-zeo

slave-zeo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

This is the start of the Dell 8700 Mavericks Guide. Please check here for further updates.

First thing I did was take a look at the BIOS of the system. You can get to the system BIOS by pressing F2 at boot time.

Attached File  BIOS-AHCI.jpg   72.57KB   0 downloads

Make sure to Set the SATA to AHCI. You do this so OS X can read your hard drives. It should be set to AHCI already but make sure just in case.

Attached File  BIOS-legacy.jpg   142.79KB   0 downloads

Next up make sure you set the Boot Mode to [Legacy]. This is so the bootloader can load. It's possible for Clover to work in UEFI, but I haven't been able to figure it out. So for now change it to [Legacy].

<The next part of the Guid will go here. Have patience, please.>

What is your Clover setup like? I haven't used it but I'm interested in the unpatched kernel trick you spoke of. 

Honestly, I just installed Clover and it did its thing. I don't recall doing anything special. But if it automatically reboots when booting (normal unpatched haswell behavior) you can use the keyboard to go to settings on the Clover boot screen. Under Settings is Binary Patches and under it is a KernelPM option, make sure it's checked. But if I recall clover had it checked by default. Below are some photos to illustrate clover's boot time options for the kernel.

Attached File  IMG_0789.JPG   96.49KB   1 downloads

Default unthemed boot screen, the gear is the Options button

Attached File  IMG_0791.JPG   64.39KB   1 downloads

In the Options select 'Binaries patching menu'

Attached File  IMG_0792.JPG   66.45KB   1 downloads

Finally, Make sure 'Kernel PM patch' is checked. This eliminates the need for a patched kernel.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dell, XPS, 8700, Mavericks, 10.9, Haswell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy