• Other Chameleon based
    • I could go both ways
    • Ozmosis
    • OpenCore

71 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...

Who forgot to put Ozmosis on the list. -_-

I use Enoch fr my AMD hack (Clover hates any USB Keyboard/Mouse I try),

and my hand modified Ozmosis BIOS UEFI on my Intel hack.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys, someone already install the Big Sur on a Hackintosh

Clover will need update, im guess...

Long Life for Clover!! 

PS: Slice, don't forget to give a Kickass on this ARM processors with a BIG KEXT!!!! :) 

Edited by Max.1974

• 2 months later...

@Jief_Machak, @Slice, this may sound a little harsh, but might it be the time to say goodbye to Clover as it is? OpenCore follows rather different design and philosophy and making it work on top of Clover is not the greatest idea, as it replaces 90% of the functionality in Clover except the UI maybe. It is my personal opinion, although shared by a number of developers, but OpenCore code is also a lot cleaner and better documented.

Perhaps, a better approach would be to merge the most useful Clover parts into OpenCore if there still are any, as a driver or even to mainline, and continue developing the unified project together? I understand that we have different understanding of how the UI should work, but this thing works via the protocol, which can technically be extended and replaced by a standalone driver with Clover-like UI.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, vit9696 said:

@Jief_Machak, @Slice, this may sound a little harsh, but might it be the time to say goodbye to Clover as it is? OpenCore follows rather different design and philosophy and making it work on top of Clover is not the greatest idea, as it replaces 90% of the functionality in Clover except the UI maybe. It is my personal opinion, although shared by a number of developers, but OpenCore code is also a lot cleaner and better documented.

Perhaps, a better approach would be to merge the most useful Clover parts into OpenCore if there still are any, as a driver or even to mainline, and continue developing the unified project together? I understand that we have different understanding of how the UI should work, but this thing works via the protocol, which can technically be extended and replaced by a standalone driver with Clover-like UI.

I agree working together would be great. I wasn't really involve and following like now when you started OpenCore. I don't know why it started.

I also already thought about putting the UI of clover in OpenCore. But in the end, Big Sur is probably the last macOs version that will exist on Intel (not sure, do you know more?). If PC manufacturer don't start to make ARM PC, this 2 projects will be useless soon anyway. Is it worth the effort ?

• Thanks 4

55 minutes ago, vit9696 said:

Integration is a good idea but there is a little problem. Too different sources and compilation technique. Moreover Clover GUI is written on C++ now. I don't knwo if it is possible to implement it into OpenCore.

The better idea will be using OpenCore sources on C as an additional libraries for Clover.

Anyway I can't compile the branch opencore_integration with numerous errors starting as

[CC] BootFixes3
Section 1 .text mCoffOffset=576(0x240) mCoffOffsetNew=576(0x240) diff=0(0x0)
Section 5 .eh_frame mCoffOffset=37520(0x9290) mCoffOffsetNew=38336(0x95c0) diff=816(0x330)
Section 3 .data mCoffOffset=38336(0x95c0) mCoffOffsetNew=37568(0x92c0) diff=-768(0xfffffd00)
Section 1 .text mCoffOffset=576(0x240) mCoffOffsetNew=576(0x240) diff=0(0x0)
Section 5 .eh_frame mCoffOffset=63984(0xf9f0) mCoffOffsetNew=65536(0x10000) diff=1552(0x610)
Section 3 .data mCoffOffset=65536(0x10000) mCoffOffsetNew=64000(0xfa00) diff=-1536(0xfffffa00)
[GENFW] XhciDxe

and ending

lto-wrapper: fatal error: /Users/sergey/src/opt/local/cross/bin/x86_64-clover-linux-gnu-gcc returned 1 exit status
compilation terminated.
/Users/sergey/src/opt/local/cross/lib/gcc/x86_64-clover-linux-gnu/10.1.0/../../../../x86_64-clover-linux-gnu/bin/ld: error: lto-wrapper failed
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [/Users/sergey/src/CloverBootloader/Build/Clover/RELEASE_GCC53/X64/FileSystems/VBoxFsDxe/VBoxIso9660/DEBUG/VBoxIso9600.dll] Error 1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Released Macs this year (e.g. iMac20,1) will be supported for at least 7 years from now. So we expect at least 5 more operating systems after 11.0 that will support Intel Macs. We are also interested in making older operating systems work on vintage computers and virtual machines (even on ARM Macs when they are released). So yes, we believe there is some good reason to support a clean thing.

The primary reason we started OpenCore was that Clover has many "automatic" actions, which behaviour is not documented anywhere. This caused many issues on various platforms from Macs and virtual machines to even hacks. There also were some design issues like no bless model (operating system discovery that works not like on Macs and often breaks), legacy kext injection, a lot of legacy in the configuration, and so on.

• Like 5

• 10 months later...

Topic unlocked

Poll (re)opened

Added OpenCore

The topic will stay unlocked but on one condition - No egos war!!! 

Stay focused on the main question which is to share which your favorite boot loader/manager is, not which one is best. Any post that does not meet this condition will simply be deleted. And in the case of flaming/abusive behavior, the topic will be definitively closed.

Thank you for your understanding.

BR

fantomas 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, fantomas said:

Any post that does not meet this condition will simply be deleted. And in the case of flaming/abusive behavior, the topic will be definitively closed.

All This posts were moved to This topic from clover thread. I dont know who has done this, but i'm Sure those werent originally in This thread. 

Why is it not allowed to discuss about bootloaders in This Forum?

14 minutes ago, Intel6600 said:

Why is it not allowed to discuss about bootloaders in This Forum?

If you want to discuss about Clover, then we have a dedicated forum, as well as for other bootloaders. :)

Each time we have a such discussion, it ends up in a muddle between the main actors (i.e. developers), and some users like to put fire on the oil by opening this kind of topic. That is the reason.

Each bootloader has its own advantages and disadvantages, none is perfect. They are worth all and w/o them, they wouldn't be hackint0sh.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

None, I would rather the unit just boot up....

so much configs and all the rest. Days and nights spent to eliminate and figure out.

Voice activated, solar powered nano bano like in all the scifi

Both Clover and Opencore are good. Been using Clover for some years and has served well.

Opencore works well as well, but it gets to be somewhat cumbersome when you forget to add or eliminate

something in the config.plist.  Can be brutal.  

A more smart bootloader is in order. like AI

Edited by makk