[SOLVED] Asus ROG laptops with Kepler cards not detecting DP-2 connected LCD display

gazzacbr

165 posts in this topic

...I can't fire the system while I'm connected to a VGA CRT monitor with NVDAResman on it but if I try VGA booting, the system only starts the VGA monitor, not the internal one...

Hi, from my trials i think you need a proper lcd display monitor. I assume it will send back the right signals to say exacty what it is and OS X is happy to boot.

If you actually mean a CRT then it would be the same as my TV connected to VGA which didnt work. there would be no intelligent signal sent back for OS X (he says guessing wildly ;) )

p.s. changed title of post to be more general, ok?

Hi, from my trials i think you need a proper lcd display monitor. I assume it will send back the right signals to say exacty what it is and OS X is happy to boot.

If you actually mean a CRT then it would be the same as my TV connected to VGA which didnt work. there would be no intelligent signal sent back for OS X (he says guessing wildly ;) )

p.s. changed title of post to be more general, ok?

I have tested VGA lcd display on my laptop G55VW with GTX660M, nothing changed. Nor did HDMI. I think the problem of G55/G75 is more complicate than G750 and no one display port works correctly. I have given up, just waiting your good news.

Nice

To the rest: don't worry. Krazubu will solve it with little help from us. I know it.

Nice

To the rest: don't worry. Krazubu will solve it with little help from us. I know it.

I have a G750JX with GTX 770M and all is working great my display is not 3D, but maybe I can help, but I need an IORegistry explorer save please share it.

The G75 problem is not related to the issue in G750. The G75 issue is related to VBIOS.

Also we can compare the VBIOS inside your 3D display version and mine, in order to find any other possible issue.

Good Luck

I have a G750JX with GTX 770M and all is working great...

Hi AREOS,

well you really know how to upset people :P

Thanks for the heads up on the G75. We had more or less decided that we had slightly different problems but is it not still related to the 120hz screen.

I have attached a IORegistry dump from mine, booted from a Dell monitor through VGA and spec as in my sig. Let me know if you need anything else.

Hope it helps.

Gary Asus G750 VGA.ioreg.zip

Hi AREOS,

well you really know how to upset people :P

Thanks for the heads up on the G75. We had more or less decided that we had slightly different problems but is it not still related to the 120hz screen.

I have attached a IORegistry dump from mine, booted from a Dell monitor through VGA and spec as in my sig. Let me know if you need anything else.

Hope it helps.

Sorry but I can´t open your ioreg save, it seems to be corrupted, please make another one using IORegistryExplorer ver 2.

Good Luck

GTX 670MX VBIOS extracted from inside the dump of my current BIOS. NiBiTor can´t handle it. Neither KeplerGB ...

@NiPeGun, how do you extract the vbios of graphics card? I only can extract the vbios by AIDA64 and the size of vbios is 58.0kb. I also tried the GPU-Z and nvflash which didn't work. Thank you!

@NiPeGun, how do you extract the vbios of graphics card? I only can extract the vbios by AIDA64 and the size of vbios is 58.0kb. I also tried the GPU-Z and nvflash which didn't work. Thank you!

First yo need to dump your normal BIOS to a file or download the official one. After that you need to extract the VBIOS from that file using MMTool software in Windows. Inside MMTool use:

Load image button - extract tab - link present checkbox    and choose the vendor and id of your graphics card, Then click the extract button.

I have a G750JX with GTX 770M and all is working great my display is not 3D, but maybe I can help, but I need an IORegistry explorer save please share it.

The G75 problem is not related to the issue in G750. The G75 issue is related to VBIOS.

Also we can compare the VBIOS inside your 3D display version and mine, in order to find any other possible issue.

Good Luck

The main difference concerning to us between G750JH and G750JX is JH having thunderbolt output. My notebook (G75VX) has thunderbolt, meaning I can connect a thunderbolt output. If you take a look to the end of my post #59 you will find this shortened info of my graphics card:

Connector 0 - (0x282)        DisplayPort-2
Connector 1 - (0x27e)        VGA-0
Connector 2 - (0x280)        HDMI-0
Connector 3 - (0x27f, 0x281) DisplayPort-0, DisplayPort-1

I did that to let the people note that my graphics card has two outputs in one connector. It has not 5 connectors as @gazzacbr think about his. One thing is a port and another thing is a connector. I assume (hope correctly) that the Port3 (DisplayD) of my graphics card has both displayport and thunderbolt out (which I assume is using displayport technology too) The gazzacbr output will be:

Connector 0 - (0x27e)        LDVS-0
Connector 1 - (0x27d)        VGA-0
Connector 2 - (0x282)        HDMI-0
Connector 3 - (0x281, 0x283) DisplayPort-0, DisplayPort-1

Showing 4 connectors too. I know he didn´t wrote "connectors" but I know he was thinking that.

@gazzacbr Do you have thunderbolt on your machine?

@AREOS, what you need to do is follow those instructions about Ubuntu and post your outputs here. Let´s take a look what is different ...

First yo need to dump your normal BIOS to a file or download the official one. After that you need to extract the VBIOS from that file using MMTool software in Windows. Inside MMTool use:

Load image button - extract tab - link present checkbox    and choose the vendor and id of your graphics card, Then click the extract button.

Thank you! I have extracted the vbios by mmtool and the size of the vbios file is 88kB which is bigger than the one by AIDA64. The vbios file can be opened by KeplerBiosTweaker 1.26 now.

Sorry but I can´t open your ioreg save, it seems to be corrupted, please make another one using IORegistryExplorer ver 2.

Good Luck

ok, my bad.  i've just google this and seems that version 3 (latest) has problems. which is what i used.

it will be Sunday (first day of the week here in Dubai) before i can dump it again as i am at home on windows and, as you all know, it wont boot without a vga kickstart :(

@NiPeGun: yes, i have HDMI port and mini DisplayPort/Thunderbolt "PORT". reviews say it works fine with apple display but i have not tested it.

@NiPeGun: yes, i have HDMI port and mini DisplayPort/Thunderbolt "PORT". reviews say it works fine with apple display but i have not tested it.

Now you see my point? I was suspecting this far ago. Maybe that is our problem, or part of it. Many G750 has not thunderbolt-displayport mixed connector. Like G750JX ones. Ours has. So, thing to note.

Maybe we are all wrong about 120hz displays. Maybe is just this thunderbolt-displayport mixed connection messing with the autodetect feature of OSX. We need somebody to try this hackintosh with a thunderbolt display. Difficult ...

Now you see my point? I was suspecting this far ago. Maybe that is our problem, or part of it. Many G750 has not thunderbolt-displayport mixed connector. Like G750JX ones. Ours has. So, thing to note. Maybe we are all wrong about 120hz displays. Maybe is just this thunderbolt-displayport mixed connection messing with the autodetect feature of OSX. We need somebody to try this hackintosh with a thunderbolt display. Difficult ...

Yes, I think my G55VW-DH71 also has the thunderbolt-displayport mixed connector.

post-814142-0-63830100-1389312608_thumb.jpg

All ASUS G750 series have Thunderbolt port which is also used by the graphics card to mini-display port, the problem with the G750 is the Vbios is not numbering ports, all ports has the same port-numer 02 info inside, I tried to declare port 0, port 1, port 2 and port 3 like a real mac does using EFI String/DSDT and also NVCAP but this values are just ignored by the driver. 

If I boot with just my LVDS screen connected and one time I get desktop loaded attach VGA, HDMI, and mini display port displays I get all the four displays working right even my Brightness control and HDMI Audio still works, but if I boot with HDMI connected I get some mix my internal screen lose Brightness control and HDMI Audio doesn't work any more. So there is indeed some issue at boot messing with the type of the display.

Good Luck

Not all G750 have thunderbolt. I know some ones have only minidisplayport connector. Take a look to your specs or just try to connect a thunderbolt harddrive to see if works.

There are other two ways to check it:

1 All Asus notebooks with thunderbolt have the sticker near to the connector like the picture above.

2 In BIOS you can change the way thunberbolt runs. If you doesn't have that option in BIOS you don't have it.

Hi, yes, thats the same sticker as mine. i dont have thunderbolt anything but will ask around in the office next week.

will it prove anything if i can/cannot boot through thunderbolt?

Well, if we all 3 have different notebooks (g55, g75, and g750) and the 3 of us are having thunderbolt and not booting to desktop, it seems to me a lot of coincidence.

We need to find an Apple thunderbolt display and start booting with it connected, to see what happens, and then save IOReg, sure we find some thing interesting

I have tried to add fake device-id in the dsdt, such as 0fe0(Mac GTX660M id), 0fb5(Mac GT 650M id), nothing changed.

attachicon.gifbk.png

Yeah, it must be something so simple that when we discover it we going to just don't believe we were so dumbs.

I think we better check if all people having this issues with asus notebooks have thunderbolt too. That will gives an inportant clue.

Graphi cs card is supported by OSX out of the box. Without injecting anything. The thing is to indicate the system about displays

@gazzacbr can you boot verbose with the vga on and post here all the text output after NvDAGK100 stuff loaded? Is there any reference to NVdAResMan after that?

Yeah, it must be something so simple that when we discover it we going to just don't believe we were so dumbs.I think we better check if all people having this issues with asus notebooks have thunderbolt too. That will gives an inportant clue.Graphi cs card is supported by OSX out of the box. Without injecting anything. The thing is to indicate the system about displays

According the fake device-id try, I think OSX treats all NVIDIA 6xxM Kelper cards the same. I think we can get some clues by comparing the ioreg of the Mac machine using the NVIDIA 6xx cards.

Ok I´m checking your ioreg right now, But I like to ask what happens if you boot only with your internal screen, it reboots? or the screen stays black? Soon I will give you one EFI string to try, and other files to improve your Power management, audio etc, just wait.

Good luck

@areos: thanks, only starting on internal screen hangs with black screen. i think it is still there running as the harddisk light flickers sometimes.

attached is my Chameleon smbios and boot.plist if thats any help.

also a (poor phone quality) screenshot just before blackout. the screen is exactly the same with/without vga connected.

the clipped text on the left only occurs on the Dell monitor not on the lcd. same when running. i saw some settings different between the lcd and dell in the EDID settings when I was playing with those before.

@NiPegun: "Graphics card is supported by OSX out of the box. Without injecting anything."

thats an important point. my attempts at injecting EDID made it worse than before.

Gary Asus G750 VGA smbios and boot.plist.zip

post-393777-0-43821900-1389690428_thumb.jpg

Guys, I just did download a customized Mavericks DMG to install on Asus ROG Laptops. It´s mainly customized to boot and install Mavericks on G75xx notebooks but I´m sure it can fire and install Mavericks in many Sandy/Ivy/Haswell ROG laptops.

Go to this thread and download the zip. Inside you will find a torrent to download the DMG. Just use Disk Utility to clone it to an 8GB pendrive and use it to install Mavericks. Note NVDAResman.kext is in / to have a failsafe install.

You may want to change the SMBIOS inside the pendrive to match your system and change the layout from spanish to your language.

Download and comment!

Hi, thanks for the update. i will give it a try later today when i can download it from home.

can i just download the modified kexts/files instead of the whole dmg? a torrent that size could take a few days...

do you know exactly what the changes are?