Mac HFS Drive getting damaged sooo easily!

Bandes

39 posts in this topic

Mobo : Gigabyte UD3LR

CPU : Intel Q8200 

RAM : 4 Gb 1066 Mhz GEIL

GPU : NVidia Geforce 9600 GT 

HDD : Samsung Sata II 750GB (non SSD)

I have been using Snow Leopard for 2 years almost without major problems. Then on one day i downloaded a DSDT file for my mobo to try it out. At boot it started "PCI configuratin begin" and was hanging there for a few seconds. I lost my patience and pushed the reset button. I never could boot the system anymore(HFS got corrupted at System folders, no chance to repair it). So installed Lion and Mountain Lion right after. It was working for one year. About 3 weeks ago i checked if sleep mode was working fine. I did some patches to make it work before, but looks like never bothered with it. Waking up from sleep mode reseted my CMOS. Then it took me 10 days to stabilize my RAM, because something happened with that, and i could not use the old settings for my memory. I had about 120 BSODs in Windows on one day. It was all because the RAM was dropping errors. 120 BSODs, and WINDOWS DID NOT GET CORRUPTED! I am using that Windows right now, and its stable again. BUT if i have to reset Mac OS X, i am pretty sure, that files and folders will be lost suddenly, and in an unrepairable way! This is below any standards. I had to reinstall Mavericks 4 times in one week! All because of HFS getting corrupted and Disk Utility and fsck could not repair it. (Of course they make it more worse while trying to repair it.)

I was having OpenGL Channel Exception errors while watching html5 videos and going fullscreen in Safari (try here some if you would like test as well : http://ink361.com/app/tag/video ) , which means the whole ui got freezed / crashed and screen got being stuck garbled at one point. But the system was still running in the background. I could not do anything cause no mouse or keyboard input worked anymore. So at this point, what can i do ? I was watching if there was any flashing of the HD leds on my PC. When it stopped doing anything for a while i pushed reset. Later i had a feeling its better to turn off the PC completely, maybe the disk won't be damaged that way. But it will be damaged EVERY F*CKING TIME. AND IRREPAIRABLY. Next time i boot up, it says "fsck started blabla, and then possibly something like this: "removed 15 directories and 16 orphaned files" or so. Oh great. They ARE GONE. FOREVER. Its like RUSSIAN ROULETTE. If i am lucky those were not System folders and i can still boot up. Well, most of time i am not so lucky. I had lost 500 megs of stuff from my HFS partition once with a freeze. Checked those folders in R-Studio on Windows. Folders i never touched, and among those System/Library/Extensions, and everything needed for the system to boot up.

I was trying to fix this issue with the OpenGL Channel Exceptions on the last days. Meanwhile i had to reinstall the whole b*tch system 3 times because of the freezes. 

And then after one install it got stuck at first boot on some Bluetooth kexts. I waited for 5 minutes, then i turned off the machine. Boom. Next boot not working anymore, HFS DAMAGED BADLY. The Disk was not even doing anything when i turned it off! Later i found out i have to boot with -x after install not to get stuck at the Bluetooth kexts. (And right after i need to rebuild kextcache with Kext Utility so i can drop the -x from that point)

So i installed the system once again. It looks like i have no more freezes and Channel Exceptions. Although there are still some artifacts when going fullscreen playing html5 videos. Luckily it fades away and does not crash anymore.Things might have helped is that I removed AGPM.kext and wiped out PCIRoot=anything from boot arguments. Its pretty badly documented what the f*ck that switch is for anyway. Looks like its better for me to leave that off completely. I remember i had to use value 1 for Snow Leopard. Don't have to anymore as it looks with Mavericks. But. The problem remains. Which is. Anytime my Mavericks system crashes, or i have to reboot / turn it off, there is a 90% chance the HFS will get corrupted, and possibly i need a reinstall, because Disk Utility from Install USB Drive and fsck ain't repair anything.

I was searching for things like how could i prevent this damaging thing each time the system crashes or being stuck in a freeze state. How could i make HFS more stable not to loose folders and files so easily, but did not find really useful things sadly.

Sorry to hear such bad things, but for me HFS is just rock solid.

I'm using my hack for years now. Starting from Leopard, over Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion and now Mavericks. All worked very well, no crashes, freezes or any data loss.

Just as a tip:

Never use a DSDT provided by someone else. Edit it on your own. When installing make sure everything you need works perfectly including sleep mode before copying any data to your system. And always backup your data (not only on a hackintosh). As long as the system is running don't touch it. For updating you can make a copy with carbon copy cloner.

By the way: There is no need for a DSDT in times of Clover.

And: A hackintosh is a hobby. The software isn't meant to run on our systems. So use it in a production environment on your own risk.

I am using my own old DSDT. I made that around Snow Leopard. But i hate messing with that and editing. Because its such a pain to find documentation about that. What should i edit where and WHY. Then i edit something which should be edited, and the system won't boot. What worked wont work anymore.

Its all a big mess in the forums about patches. I started using Mavericks with Clover. Then i changed back to Chameleon. I don't see any real difference. 

Clover made me upset because they changed the namings of the config.plist somewhere, and my settings were all mixed up thanks to that. There is a converter which freezed while "converting".

And the editor is another {censored} software. Sorry to say that, even if its free. Just {censored}. 

By the way there is a patch set up in Clover to patch my DSDT not to have orange icons on my PATA drives. But they are orange. Even in Chameleon. They were not orange in Mountain Lion with the same settings and DSDT.

And.

I dont care about sleep mode anymore. Another thing which is badly documented. If i read about it and try to do it, then i will probably have an even bigger mess. Then i ask someone why my sleep mode not working. Then they would say something like, "ohh, yeah did you set that up as well, cause thats needed". Probably a thing that would not be listed there, so not.

And my ram got almost damaged. Probably already slightly damaged because of the CMOS reset. Changing voltages while waking up from sleep. Nice.

So you had no crashes, freezes and things like that. Great. And did you had to push the reset button at any time ?

Would you push that for a test while OSX is running ? I guess not !

You would not dare. I still believe if you would, you would loose data from your HFS drive, even if there would be no any HD action in time of the reset.

This is the problem. I had no crashes in Snow Leopard, so i never met this problem, until i pressed reset once at a "PCI Configuration Begin.."

Yeah Hackintosh is a hobby. Of course. I think i should know if the system is that unstable on power outages, then i would think more than twice to spend thousands of dollars/euros on a real mac.

The money which i don't have. So i cannot afford. But even if i would have. I really don't like spending on overprized things. Now that i know that this file system is such {censored}, i really doubt i would spend that money. I have a strong feeling the problem is not with my hardware. Its the HFS. You can read things on searching for it like "unflushed disk buffer on power outages" and so on. If this is all true, then its a terrible huge design flaw. I am slowly getting to think this is why Apple have developed Time Machine and these backup things. Instead of fixing HFS vulneriabilty, they start making another expensive product to fix their flawed design.

Your opinions come from emotion, not reason. And even if was not a HW compatibility issue what is behind all the instability (and quite possibly a few errors by the operator :)), do you really prefer a system that would easily crash (120 times a day, you said) but won't break (and I beg to disagree: it breaks as well, and badly, specially XP) over an OS that seldom crashes if properly set, even on definitely hacked systems (AMD user anybody?) but cannot supposedly hold itself against a power outage? Where you live, is this common? Go buy yourself a no-break, seriously.

Anyway, if you came here to ask for help, post your complete signature, a DarvinDumper report, an IOREG and attach your current DSDT. If I or someone else can help you, we will. But if you came to flame, don't waste your (our) time.

All the best!

I had to press the reset button sometimes. Sometimes while in Mac OS and sometimes while booting. But the system always booted up properly.

On earlier installations I've had CMOS resets. My main board has a dual bios, so if the first one is corrupted it is automatically restored by the second. I will not even notice any corruption.

I have the message with orphaned files sometimes too. But this is not always bad. Every modern filesystem has orphaned files: NTFS, ext3 and HFS. I guess you made some settings that were not suitable for your system if system files were deleted.

Clover config is different to chameleon at least for the names of the keys, yes. But it is not that hard. I've never heard of Clover before Mavericks and after 3 days I got a perfectly running system. For the beginning just install Clover without any changes. It does a lot of work I had to do for running ML or SL automatically.

• Like 1

what i cannot make out of your post, is if the HFS disk is journaled / yes no. Some ppl these days reccomend turning journaling off when using a ssd, this can make a big difference in your scenario, also want to experience some real filesystem corruption in your multi boot / different filesystems ea machine? Try the windows 8 "fast startup" aka "hybrid boot" feature...

Stop, Bandes: many of us know the limitations of HFS+, but it's not like you compared it with ZFS or XFS or even EXT4 - you simply wrote a lengthy post using your unfortunate experiences with Mavericks to pull out an unfavorable comparison of HFS+ with NTFS, which is even more archaic, poorly designed, poorly supported and less stable (see this discussion on Anandtech's http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-2218840.html, only one of quite a few similar threads). I know, you were quite pissed off because of your hackintosh's setup woes, and at first I thought your clueless comparison came from this, but now I'm wondering if it's not your lowest flaming instincts coming to surface indeed. I say: subdue them! If you wanna start a Windows vs OSX thread, this subforum is not the appropriate place. Don't even begin!

Back on what should be the focus of the topic, I'm still waiting for your complete signature, a DarvinDumper report, an IOREG and attachment with your current (and perhaps an untouched one) DSDT, so you can get the help you so desperately seem to need. If you are to post shortly, I really expect something around these lines, because if starts to go OT, there will be the need of deleting posts, and even the entire topic if it falls into a flamewar.

All the best!

Stop, Bandes: many of us know the limitations of HFS+, but it's not like you compared it with ZFS or XFS or even EXT4 - you simply wrote a lengthy post using your unfortunate experiences with Mavericks to pull out an unfavorable comparison of HFS+ with NTFS, which is even more archaic, poorly designed, poorly supported and less stable (see this discussion on Anandtech's http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-2218840.html, only one of quite a few similar threads). I know, you were quite pissed off because of your hackintosh's setup woes, and at first I thought your clueless comparison came from this, but now I'm wondering if it's not your lowest flaming instincts coming to surface indeed. I say: subdue them! If you wan't start a Windows vs OSX thread, this subforum is not the appropriate place. Don't even begin!

Back on what should be the focus of the topic, I'm still waiting for your complete signature, a DarvinDumper report, an IOREG and attachment with your current (and perhaps an untouched one) DSDT, so you can get the help you so desperately seem to need. If you are to post shortly, I really expect something around these lines, because if starts to go OT, there will be the need of deleting posts, and even the entire topic if it falls into a flamewar.

All the best!

If i am right it's not flaming. 

By the way NTFS is not archaic. FAT32 is archaic.

I am pretty sure much more well designed against power losses as the hfs. If you would have read that article about hfs i have linked in, you should not talk about "advanced".

I have read some topics about hfs. Only the ignorant Apple fanboys were talking like "shut up, hfs is great and stable, its by Apple so pretty good, blabla"

Then a guy came and said "i have pretty much experience with all kinds of filesystems and even mac machines. And i can say that hfs is indeed more vulnerable."

Listen i am not against Apple and i am not a Windows fan. Its probably about 50-50. Probably i hate both. And i admire some things in both. But i really don't like when people start argueing without facts.

I have my experiences, and you have yours. 

I don't know what could be wrong with my setup. Everything works fine when the system is running. I have no speed issues or any corruption in normal circumstances.

But if the Window UI Server gets freezed, like because of the OpenGL problems i had, then the system is pretty badly vulnerable to reseting or shutdown. 

As i have been investigating i have found that OSX is doing real time defragmentation for small files, regenerating b-trees, messing with metadata and god knows what else more which can generate disk usage all the time, and possible when its badly needed to shut things down.

And about flaming. Sorry about if it looks like that, but i am pretty disappointed by the lot of problems i had with my machine.

Most of all i am disappointed by the poor software Apple is giving / not giving for repairing disk problems.

You have to have third party software to repair "invalid index key" and things like that. Which i was getting so easily.

(On Windows Chkdsk does the job if there is a problem. On OSX fsck and Disk Utility just messed things even more up. Partition became unaccessible, folder empty / lost / untouchable.)

I am talking from emotion and pretty bad experiences. I have been reading now some Apple forums and seen some topics about messed up disks on Apple hardware. 

Looks like i have to make a flaming big voice, because then more people will look here at least.

I will post my stuff, when i will have time for that. Sorry but i am busy and was not running OSX in the last two days.

Here is my DSDT for first which i am using.

I will make an XBench test, which test harddisks too. It might give some extra info if there is anything wrong. But as i said in normal operation scenario, the disk does not get corrupted.

Only at a kernel panic or getting stuck freezed at bootup or GUI crashing (which luckily i could not replicate anymore lately)

what i cannot make out of your post, is if the HFS disk is journaled / yes no. Some ppl these days reccomend turning journaling off when using a ssd, this can make a big difference in your scenario, also want to experience some real filesystem corruption in your multi boot / different filesystems ea machine? Try the windows 8 "fast startup" aka "hybrid boot" feature...

it's journalled. and my drive is not ssd.

i am thinking too of turning it off anyway, cause it should be a feature to prevent these sort of damages, but it isn't helping anything. which is another riddle.

at least the journaling data should go through to the disk.

On earlier installations I've had CMOS resets. My main board has a dual bios, so if the first one is corrupted it is automatically restored by the second. I will not even notice any corruption.

I have the message with orphaned files sometimes too. But this is not always bad. Every modern filesystem has orphaned files: NTFS, ext3 and HFS. I guess you made some settings that were not suitable for your system if system files were deleted.

Dual BIOS does not protect you from CMOS resets as i know. It only protects you from flashing with a wrong BIOS.

A CMOS Reset clears all saved settings from the BIOS, but it keeps the Flash BIOS program there.

Mine has got dual BIOS too.

I think the biggest problem with CMOS reset is that it can damage motherboard components.

Like my RAM has stopped working stable on 2.2 Volt after that wake from sleep when the CMOS got cleared.

AUTO settings for the RAM Voltage is about 1.8 Volt. So i don't think changing voltages are good for components which are not designed for that..

Anyway, it was a stress situation for the RAM or/and the Memory controller.

I have read people with same problems. My RAM works now well on some settings. Then bad on the next morning again. After two hours being turned off this happens.

Cold boot scenario. So other people said, they sent back the RAMs because they were faulty.

So very probably mine are too already. I am just happy i don't gave up and kept on trying, then i found a stable setting which works with even cold boots. 2.06 Volt.

At 2.10 V its already bad again.. Before the CMOS reset i could use It on 2.1 or 2.3 too. I did not notice any problems. Memtest worked without any errors.

Not anymore.

Ahh, yeah. And orphaned files are pretty bad for my taste. It might could happen on ntfs as well, but haven't happened with me yet.

Those are lost files as i know. If it's Safari cache, then its ok. No real loss. But it can be some thing from Library or anything System critical.

I made a screenshot after i ran Disk Utilty from Install Disk. Right after it failed to boot after fresh install being stuck at Bluetooth Controller.

I could not believe my eyes. Lost and Found folder full with other folders and files. 560 megs.

Then i thought what happened was that the System started, but the UI did not came in. Spotlight started indexing the drive or the System started up building folders for first use.

But anyway i think it's pretty crazy that i press the reset button when i think there is no more any harddisk action, and 560 megs just getting lost.

And the "supersafe" journalling feature is turned on.

Now i read in the Arstechnica article that there can only be one process at a time accessing hfs drive.

So how could hundreds of folders getting lost if a press reset button ?

I just don't understand this.

post-38872-0-68451600-1384558767_thumb.png

Dual BIOS does not protect you from CMOS resets as i know. It only protects you from flashing with a wrong BIOS.

A CMOS Reset clears all saved settings from the BIOS, but it keeps the Flash BIOS program there.

Mine has got dual BIOS too.

That's right. It doesn't protect you from resets. But you talked of corruption. For me this means damaged, unusable not just lost values.

I think the biggest problem with CMOS reset is that it can damage motherboard components.

Like my RAM has stopped working stable on 2.2 Volt after that wake from sleep when the CMOS got cleared.

AUTO settings for the RAM Voltage is about 1.8 Volt. So i don't think changing voltages are good for components which are not designed for that..

Anyway, it was a stress situation for the RAM or/and the Memory controller.

I have read people with same problems. My RAM works now well on some settings. Then bad on the next morning again. After two hours being turned off this happens.

Cold boot scenario. So other people said, they sent back the RAMs because they were faulty.

So very probably mine are too already. I am just happy i don't gave up and kept on trying, then i found a stable setting which works with even cold boots. 2.06 Volt.

At 2.10 V its already bad again.. Before the CMOS reset i could use It on 2.1 or 2.3 too. I did not notice any problems. Memtest worked without any errors.

Not anymore.

So you over clocked your RAM and maybe more? No need to say more...

Ahh, yeah. And orphaned files are pretty bad for my taste. It might could happen on ntfs as well, but haven't happened with me yet.

Those are lost files as i know. If it's Safari cache, then its ok. No real loss. But it can be some thing from Library or anything System critical.

Orphaned files are files which are linked to other files, that don't exist any more. If you have a file X and a symbolic link Y and you delete file X then the link Y is an orphaned file. This has nothing to do with your loss of system files.

So you never had the message that Windows could not been booted normally? And Checkdisk never ran prior to boot? There can be tons of orphaned files in Windows too.

Of course NTFS is archaic. It's been developed in the beginning of the 1990's. Why do you think Microsoft introduced ReFS with Windows 8 and Windows 8 Server?

That's right. It doesn't protect you from resets. But you talked of corruption. For me this means damaged, unusable not just lost values.

So you over clocked your RAM and maybe more? No need to say more...

Orphaned files are files which are linked to other files, that don't exist any more. If you have a file X and a symbolic link Y and you delete file X then the link Y is an orphaned file. This has nothing to do with your loss of system files.

So you never had the message that Windows could not been booted normally? And Checkdisk never ran prior to boot? There can be tons of orphaned files in Windows too.

Of course NTFS is archaic. It's been developed in the beginning of the 1990's. Why do you think Microsoft introduced ReFS with Windows 8 and Windows 8 Server?

http://www.geil.com.tw/products/showSpec/id/70

My RAM is 1066 Mhz. I did not overclock it !

Its no more working stable on AUTO settings after the CMOS reset.

Only at 800 Mhz.

On my manual settings i found after 10 days looking for a working one and running memtest it works at 1066, but i have to set everything, internal timings, Voltage down to 2.06 V.

My crashes on Mavericks were 100 % not RAM related.

I had hard disk data corruption! Hello!

Even if NTFS is 1990, its somehow still better at stability. Things does not have to be old to be good.

Fact is i am not loosing data on ntfs on resets or power losses if that would happen.

On HFS its 90% guaranteed i loose things.

"Software is written with certain target hardware in mind. When HFS was created, the top-of-the-line Macintosh came with an 800K floppy drive, the "high-end" storage offered by Apple was a 20MB hard drive the size of a lunchbox, and the CPU was from the Motorola 68000 family. Thirteen years later, HFS+ replaced HFS, the floppy disks were 1.44MB, and Apple's hard drives topped out around 6GB. Keep this context in mind as we consider the following details of HFS+'s implementation.

When searching for unused nodes in a b-tree file, Apple's HFS+ implementation processes the data16 bits at a time. Why? Presumably because Motorola's 68000 processor natively supports 16-bit operations. Modern Mac CPUs have registers that are up to 256 bits wide.

Some of those features were an easy fit, but others were very difficult to add to the file system without breaking backwards compatibility. One particularly scary example is the implementation ofhard links on HFS+. To keep track of hard links, HFS+ creates a separate file for each hard link inside a hidden directory at the root level of the volume. Hidden directories are kind of creepy to begin with, but the real scare comes when you remember that Time Machine is implemented using hard links to avoid unnecessary data duplication.

Listing the contents of this hidden directory (named "HFS+ Private Data", but with a bunch of non-printing characters preceding the "H") on my Time Machine backup volume reveals that it contains 573,127 files. B-trees or no b-trees, over half a million files in a single directory makes me nervous."

Oh yeah. Very advanced. Don't know if i should cry or laugh!

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/horrors-linus-torvalds-calls-hfs-utter-{censored}/1278

Horrors! Linus Torvalds calls HFS+ 'utter {censored}'

"(I've found) OS X in some ways is actually worse than Windows to program for. Their file system is complete and utter {censored}, which is scary."

I never heard of REFS. Doesn't care as i look at it its for servers, not for everyone.

And Why do you think Apple introduced ZFS into OSX Leopard Server ??

I would not even call this a filesystem.

post-38872-0-18399300-1384616658_thumb.jpg

post-38872-0-10916200-1384616672_thumb.jpg

these are pictures from two separate installs.

both time hard disk got so corrupted whole folders became empty and lost.

oh yeah i could save most of my data luckily cause there is windows software called r-studio which found lost folders and recovered data from them.

but so many folders and so many files lost in one event, it has to be a very big design flaw. folder names were lost and their position on the folder tree.

my version is that hfs is being constantly reoptimized and rewritten, all the b-trees getting rewritten if there is something attached to them.

probably everything has to be regenerated from the point of the attachment. so if those things don't get regenerated, and there is a sudden stop, then everything from that point will be lost on the b-tree. journalling on and off doesn't matter. and if the folder is damaged too where fsck or boot files needed, adieu.

oh yeah i might not be accurate, but that's what i see when trying to recover these folders and files.

i have a laptop too with OS X Leopard installed. I did not try to upgrade to newer versions, its a bit harder. 

That drive is also damaged already after 3 years. Invalid Index Key or what. I tried to repair with install dvd, it failed.

As i said Apple's Disk repair software is just a bad joke. Repairing nothing.

It can repair orphaned files or some small things, and nothing above that.

"Try to backup as many data as you can and reformat the drive"

UTTER {censored}

You need Disk Warrior if you want to repair anything serious.

(Which can happen pretty easily as it looks)

I could not run Disk Warrior, you need a recovery system for that.

Don't know if that would repair invalid index key or restore the lost folders in to the folder tree.

But they say it can.

So i am very curious if you guys find something in my setup or dsdt related to SATA controller or hard drive settings.

But I don't have though much hopes about any finds that would make hfs robust against resets / freezes / forced shutdowns.

As English is not my mothers tongue I don't understand everything.

Did you or did your BIOS over voltage your RAM?

I'm not fully able to relate to your problems as mentioned earlier I've never had those problems despite using OS X for years now.

ReFS was introduced by Windows 8 Server. Like Microsoft always did, they introduce new filesystems on server operating systems. But it is available at Windows 8.1 too. Currently you cannot boot ReFS filesystems though.

For your knowledge, this is what happens to your filesystem: LINK.

I would strongly recommend taking another hard drive if this happens cumulative, even if the smart status of your drive doesn't show any noticeable problems.

As English is not my mothers tongue I don't understand everything.

Did you or did your BIOS over voltage your RAM?

I'm not fully able to relate to your problems as mentioned earlier I've never had those problems despite using OS X for years now.

ReFS was introduced by Windows 8 Server. Like Microsoft always did, they introduce new filesystems on server operating systems. But it is available at Windows 8.1 too. Currently you cannot boot ReFS filesystems though.

For your knowledge, this is what happens to your filesystem: LINK.

I would strongly recommend taking another hard drive if this happens cumulative, even if the smart status of your drive doesn't show any noticeable problems.

I did not overvoltage it. Closer to the opposite. I was using on the lowest suggested 2.20 V for 3 years.

I tested on 2.30 V too. It has heat spreader, and can take voltages up to 2.5 V. 

2.4 V is the upper working limit which is written on the module. I don't think i need those high voltages, only if i would use it overclocked. This a tuning ram, so it can be turned up until 1140 Mhz or so. On that settings probably the 2.4V is needed too.

The problem with my Motherboard was from the beginning that it detects the memory as 800 Mhz, and sets Voltage to about 1.90V if it's left on auto.

That's not enough for 1066 Mhz for sure. So i turned it up to 2.20 V. And it was working ok.

Except that i had crashes from Windows 7 waking up from sleep modes after several hours.

I thought that was because of other driver problems possibly. 

But now i realised, that the voltage setting was not good for cold booting and possibly wake from sleep.

I never had crashes running the system normally. Only at after waking from several hour long sleeps.

So yeah, this way 2.20 V looks like a bit too much, around 2.1 V looks enough on the speed i am using the modules.

But anyway, it should not harm the modules.

About the hard drive. I just don't think it's faulty. I am not loosing data on Windows. 

As i said, only scenario i lost data on Mac was when i had to reset / shutdown.

So i don't think the hard drive is at fault.

That partition is a bit underused probably. There are two more partitions on the disk i used way more.

Ran through the article, but i don't see too much technical information. 

I have tested XBench now. It's getting pretty old benchmark now as it looks. I could not run thread test, it hanged there. So i skipped that.

From what i see the speeds look ok. Random speeds look a bit slow, but it's not SSD, and points scores are not that low.

post-38872-0-09031200-1384650987_thumb.jpg

and Permission Repair

post-38872-0-27290100-1384651125_thumb.png

nothing serious i guess

I don't think i will have problems until i found a software which might cause another GUI crash or somethink like that.

Console is writing always something out to the disk, so logging generates constant disk usage, but i have no idea why the folders are so fragile on freezes.

I have a feeling Mavericks might delays disk actions for energy saving purposes. Like the CPU timer coalescing. This way there might be a change-buffer which is getting charged up until at one point and then being written out to the disk.

This way i could imagine why i can loose folders and files when suddenly a reset wipes every caches out, and possibly opened and unsaved files on the disk, like journalling gets also cleared.

I will check some tweaker apps which reveal hidden settings for the system, maybe i find something.

Meanwhile 10.9.1 is coming soon.

It will have graphic fixes. Will see what that means for us..

• 2 weeks later...

Problems Strike Again!

I had several User Interface crashes yesterday.

While i was using the newest version of Numbers.

If i start scrolling up down fast i can reproduce the freeze.

OpenGL Channel Exceptions. So it looks like i could not escape them yet.

I had to press reset button a few times as well.

As a miracle i am still able to boot into Mavericks.

No system files damaged as it looks.

Although files and folders were orphaned again..

2013.11.29. 2:18:19,000 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0xd = GR: SW Notify Error

2013.11.29. 1:46:56,000 kernel[0]: hfs: Removed 23 orphaned / unlinked files and 6413 directories 
(It might have been because i trashed a large app before with a few 100 Mbs in size which might had containing that many directories)

2013.11.29. 1:56:43,000 kernel[0]: hfs: Removed 17 orphaned / unlinked files and 35 directories 

post-38872-0-72396100-1385726654_thumb.jpg
post-38872-0-91163700-1385726665_thumb.jpg

I tried PCIRootUID 1 and 0
GraphicsEnabler No and Yes
changed MacPro3,1 to MacPro 5,1
No difference
Although it seems like Dashboard is loading much quicker this way.

I removed some kexts also:

ApplePolicyControl.kext
AppleTyMCEDriver.kext
AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext

Crashing still present.

I think your rig is seriously messed up to have all those problems. I've been using OSX in my hacks since Leopard and I've had lost files maybe once or twice on power loss or resets (AMD Athlon times  :whistle:) but since Lion I haven't seen any kind of file system damage.

Ladies and Gentleman

Here We Go Again!

post-38872-0-03630900-1385734508_thumb.jpg

post-38872-0-07532900-1385734520_thumb.jpg

post-38872-0-09540500-1385734532_thumb.jpg

So i tried to revert to 10.8.4 NVidia kexts, cause at 10.8.5 was where all the graphical crashes started.

System loaded, but the UI was sluggish. I put back Nvdaresmantesla.kext so it would might help. (In 10.8.4 there was no such kext, only Nvdaresman.kext)

The Next time i am loading the system, black screen upon loading UI. 

Reset. I wanted to boot into Windows to remove that kext, but hit the wrong key, so Chameleon loaded once again Mavericks. Ok, black screen again.

Reset. Loaded Windows. Let's See. HFS Partition looks TOTALLY EMPTY.

Haha, i was somehow expecting this. Great. Looks like i can try reinstalling today once again.

Or if i just leave the whole thing there.

Since there seem to be no real fix to prevent OpenGL Channel Exceptions for my Nvidia 9600 GT in Mavericks.

I think your rig is seriously messed up to have all those problems. I've been using OSX in my hacks since Leopard and I've had lost files maybe once or twice on power loss or resets (AMD Athlon times  :whistle:) but since Lion I haven't seen any kind of file system damage.

messed up ? really ?

Windows is working perfectly. So my hardware is OK.

And Snow Leopard was working ok for one year. Mountain Lion one year long until at 10.8.5. Graphic Crashes started happening.

So i did not mess anything up. It's just that OS X became unstable for my rig.

Update : Yeah, Cannot Boot Anymore, System is Gone Totally.

All because i pressed reset button after black screen.

Hundreds of Folders and Files gone. With System critical stuff. And the root folder is not even browsable without recovery software.

So i am pretty fast already in installing Mavericks. At the 5th time one gets full of routines  :whistle:

System is up and running again. 

Since Mountain Lion Nvidia Kexts do not work as it looks, i checked the drivers from Mavericks Developer Preview 8.

And after one hour hard trying i had no crashes with those ! It's too early too go hooray, but I might be lucky this time !

Although i still see garbled screens when going fullscreen on html5 videos. (http://ink361.com/app/tag/video)

post-38872-0-50070100-1385746878_thumb.jpg

post-38872-0-05021300-1385746889_thumb.jpg

As long as the UI doesn't crash,  i don't care about it.

I don't watch these videos anyway, only for testing purposes.

Numbers did not crash until now, so it looks promising.

I just don't understand why is that the Golden Master version of OS X Mavericks is more buggy than the Developer Preview.

are you doing clean installs, or re-installing over an existing install from before?

And why are you worried about :

2013.11.29. 1:56:43,000 kernel[0]: hfs: Removed 17 orphaned / unlinked files and 35 directories 

which shows up if you are looking back at boot records.

Not a thing to worry about here, it is clearing out temp files at start up. If you are trying to fix this, then that is what is messing up your system, because you are trying to fix something that isn't broken.

are you doing clean installs, or re-installing over an existing install from before?

And why are you worried about :

which shows up if you are looking back at boot records.

Not a thing to worry about here, it is clearing out temp files at start up. If you are trying to fix this, then that is what is messing up your system, because you are trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Of coure, clean install. Imagine having a partition you can't even read. Disk Utility Verify and Repair not working. How the hell could you reinstall anything on that ??

I have to do always erase partition and do it from zero. No other options.

As i said a couple of times, hfs partition is getting damaged randomly after pushing resets on frozen system.

HFS did not get corrupted on every resets. But after i was trying out a few options for the graphic drivers, there was one point where it has DAMAGED BADLY.

ALL THE FOLDERS GONE from the drive.

I could luckily copy back some of the contents i needed with a recovery software.

Folders contents are still there somewhere, but their names are gone, and they are out of position.

They just being gathered in a "found folders" section.

I just copied these lines from Console here. This is not my problem.

These orphaned things all occured after resets.

And there was once 6000 folders orphaned, so those were definitely not temp things.

I suggested those were from the trash folder, but anyway i could not fix anything with them, so.

Please read what i am writing, i am not that stupid!

AS I SAID. FOLDERS GONE. SYSTEM NOT BOOTABLE. BASTA. THERE WAS DEFINITELY SOMETHING TO BE FIXED.

I DON'T FCKING CARE ABOUT ORPHANED FILES AS LONG MY SYSTEM BOOTS.

BESIDES I CANNOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT THEM EITHER WAY.

THE REAL PROBLEM IS. FOLDERS GO LOST EASILY ON RESETS.

And its pretty random. Most of the time it's ok. But if you have to do it enough times. I guess on the 10th occassion at least you will face what i faced, 

Some serious data corruption on hfs partition.

Much worse than orphaned files.

I cannot copy messages from that. Disk Utility(from the install usb drive) says then only "Backup as much as you can, and reformat" Good luck..

Recently went thro a patch of similar disk corruption on my old setup P45-DS4P with Mavericks. With Mountain Lion there was no such problems.. Seems to have been resolved after yanking out 800MHz Ram pair and leaving 1066MHz pair only.. Problems started when joint pairs were clocked at 800 but not at 667.