Mavericks && ATI 6990

CompSCI

7 posts in this topic

Hello...

Have 10.9 installed using Bronya's rc7 kernel...  

Phenom 1100T w/ ATI 6990

I have tried adding my deviceID (0x671D1002) to AMD6000Controller.kext in /S/L/E - it does change the behavior of the boot => creating one screen white and freezing the computer when loading the graphics drivers and such - but, I have been unable to login once adding this deviceID...  Followed a posting found here => ATI 6990 ...

I have tried adding the deviceID after booting into Mavericks - then using kext wizard to load the kext - but, no luck there either...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Man, I already answered you (jn the 10.9 installation AMD forum: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293748-amd-phenom-1100t-w-ati-6990-boot-hanging/). Did you think asking again will change your situation? Well, some answers can indeed change, but not the reality, and I'll take the liberty of quoting myself: 

"ATI 69xx cards won't work properly under OSX, and that's not because of your AMD CPU. Cayman-series support is poorly implemented by Apple.

I heard about a complicated workaround that enable using a 69xx as long as you have another working GPU acting as a primary card, but 1) I wouldn't know how to guide you through this and 2) I've never heard about this method working with a 6990 (which is a dual card, to make thinks even harder)."

You're wasting your time. And ours. Perhaps someone will come up with a solution, but it's very unlikely, specially for your dual card. Sorry if I'm sounding a bit harsh, but if you want to run OSX on your machine, you ought to resort to another graphics solution. Or you can try the said workaround, at your own peril.

All the best!

Man, I already answered you (jn the 10.9 installation AMD forum: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293748-amd-phenom-1100t-w-ati-6990-boot-hanging/). Did you think asking again will change your situation? Well, some answers can indeed change, but not the reality, and I'll take the liberty of quoting myself: 

"ATI 69xx cards won't work properly under OSX, and that's not because of your AMD CPU. Cayman-series support is poorly implemented by Apple.

I heard about a complicated workaround that enable using a 69xx as long as you have another working GPU acting as a primary card, but 1) I wouldn't know how to guide you through this and 2) I've never heard about this method working with a 6990 (which is a dual card, to make thinks even harder)."

You're wasting your time. And ours. Perhaps someone will come up with a solution, but it's very unlikely, specially for your dual card. Sorry if I'm sounding a bit harsh, but if you want to run OSX on your machine, you ought to resort to another graphics solution. Or you can try the said workaround, at your own peril.

All the best!

My apologies...

I either did not read your answer in the other thread - or, misinterpreted it as not final...

It certainly is not my intent to waste your time...

• Like 1

It's my turn to apologize: I overreacted quite a bit. 

The fact is, people are trying to enable OSX support for difficult hardware, here, there and everywhere, and our success with AMD machines is a testimony it can sometimes be done. The problem is, graphics is in a whole another scale of difficulty, since it's very complex hardware with no open source material to research on in the first place. Sometimes even supported hardware can be a tough task because of our OSX86 particularities, like VGA support, HDMI audio, EDID compatibility etc. I really think it's too much pain for to little if any gains try to run OSX on unsupported or poorly supported (which is the case) graphics. Even if you succeed, you know, there will be performance or usability compromises with all probability. 

You could sell your 6990 and buy a R9xx AMD card: even single chip ones will perform better, consume less and, since they're supported by OSX, enable you to enjoy your hack instead of losing your hair trying to make it work (and perhaps not getting there). Even if you're a natural-born-tweaker and want to get it to work as a personal and enjoyable goal, just like many of us involved with AMD development: it was hard, but at least we had a distinct chance of success since the beginning, since the kernel is open-source. That's it.

All the best!

@theconnactic - no worries...  Getting OSX working on AMD has saved me (at this point) from purchasing a new Intel box...  

NetKas as some interesting possibilities that I will try over the next couple of days...  

I will post back if I get things working...  Of course, a new card might save my head from all of the pounding during the process...  heh...

@shanee - I will try some different combinations...