Thinkpad T430 - Mavericks 10.9.x - Yosemite 10.10

Uoc Nguyen

104 posts in this topic

Hi all.

I would like to share the results of  mixing my work and work of  other before me on my T430s (2355).

I use the post of UocNguyen as template(Thanks for the work!)

Working:

• CPU PowerManagement  (SpeedStep enabled using ssdt-gen script and clover states generation option)
  • Intel HD4000 with AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri patched at latest version (10.9.3) to use internal LVDS and external DP port (i read apple removed support for embedded VGA start from 10.8.3 kext, from my tests i'm able to use a VGA monitor while start laptop from docking station with lid closed but there are something bad with EDID probe and with refresh so i think the very big problem is the VGA output use the same channel of internal LCD/LVDS)
  • Audio work with patched AppleHDA (and IOAudioFamily from 10.9.0) Speaker/Headphone/Internal Mic/Mic on headphone/
  • Ethernet work with AppleE1000.kext
  • Trackpoint, touchpad and keyboard work with VoodooPS2
  • Patched Bluetooth kext with support for BCM20702A0
  • USB 3 with GenericUSBXHCI ( Run at 5gbps), all 3 ports are capable to charging an iPad
  • Battery recognized with ACPIbatteryManager
  • WWAN HSPA Working with SIM inserted, modded CellPhoneHelper.kext,IOSerialFamily and modded CCL in /Library/ModemScripts/ (tell me if work!)
  • UEFI boot with latest version of CLOVER
  • Sleep, wake, restart and shutdown fully working (10.9.2 seems to resolve this issue)
  • Keyboard. Multimedia keys: Sleep, Prev / Play / Pause / Next (Brightness control with Fn-F8/F9 not work, mapped in DSDT with Fn-K/P)
  • Windows Installation on other SSD partition run fine with VMware Fusion Bootcamp and directly form choose it in Boot selection menù (when you boot with windows you must restore Clover EFI boot option manually in UEFI BIOS to start osx later, because the Micro$oft Boot loader set itself as primary when start  :yes: )

Additional external device:

* NOT working and know problem:

• Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 Wireless adapter( simply no kext exist for this device....)
  • I tried to install mPCI-E Broadcom WLAN used in my old T420s but it's seems not possible to flash modded bios without external programmer. No success with any other methods like tape pin 20 of mPCI-E or placing in second mPCI-E slot.
  • Card reader (Partially working with VoodooSDHC kext, but sometimes system hangs. I removed the SD reader for using Wifi adapter)
  • Brought video from iTunes doesn't play on LVDS device (LCD display attached on VGA on board doesn't support HDCP)
  • WWAN icon in status bar appear only after sleep/wake cycle :huh: 
  • Headphone jack sometimes not work after sleep (it's seems to fixing itself after another sleep/wake cycle :blink:)
  • Headphone Volume control 

For install use info from T420 thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/page-25?do=findComment&comment=1952283

NOTE: need to change the SMBIOS hardware section and CustomUUID to your own hardware.

My pack: https://www.firedrive.com/file/9991150C50684CB7

I want to thanks all creators of any components used for this test.

PS: sorry for bad english  ;) 

• Like 3

Good job @eilatuno

It is long time I have not boot into OS X as I am quite busy and most of time I'm working on Linux environment. Just back and took an upgrade to OS X 10.9.3 and it work well. I'm updating new report to #1 to keep topic clean and easy to find information.

Hey guys! I'm having a problem with my T430 (Intel GPU). At first, after installing mavericks with a myHack installation USB, my laptop wouldn't start. After replacing the Bluetooth-related kext with the ones you provided, I was able to boot, but I couldn't get the actual Bluetooth working (it seems to be undetectable). My experience with other thinkpad laptops (which are, in general, quite good for this stuff) is that the problem was the Chamaleon bootloader, so I decided to install Clover, but when I installed it and after rebooting it (I replaced the standard config.plist with yours), I got the strange EFI bootloader screen (which is not related with clover in anyway, it's part of the UEFI Bios system). So, to sum up, I don't know what do I have to do in order to install Clover and boot up the machine.

Oh, the disk is partitioned as GPT and the Bios is set to "Legacy First".

Thank you guys!!

Hey guys! I'm having a problem with my T430 (Intel GPU). At first, after installing mavericks with a myHack installation USB, my laptop wouldn't start. After replacing the Bluetooth-related kext with the ones you provided, I was able to boot, but I couldn't get the actual Bluetooth working (it seems to be undetectable). My experience with other thinkpad laptops (which are, in general, quite good for this stuff) is that the problem was the Chamaleon bootloader, so I decided to install Clover, but when I installed it and after rebooting it (I replaced the standard config.plist with yours), I got the strange EFI bootloader screen (which is not related with clover in anyway, it's part of the UEFI Bios system). So, to sum up, I don't know what do I have to do in order to install Clover and boot up the machine.

Oh, the disk is partitioned as GPT and the Bios is set to "Legacy First".

Thank you guys!!

Hi Anita if you use my package you must set UEFI only boot setting in your BIOS config. Before this you must configure the EFI/ESP partition and place the EFI folder from the zip directly in this small partition that already exist if you partition table is GPT. You have only to reformat this hidden partition from HFS to FAT32. This is a good guide for do this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287737-how-toclover-on-efi-partitionadd-to-bios/.

• Like 1

Oh, thank you!! I'll check it out now and post what happens  ;)

EDIT: Ok, so I've successfully installed Clover, but every time I try to boot Maverick, the screen goes completely black (with no Apple logo whatsoever) and, after 2 minutes or so, the computer reboots. Booting with the -v flag shows this message:

efiboot loaded from device Acpi(PNP0A03.0)/Pci(1F|2)/SATA(0.0)/HD(Part2.SigFF040F85-B046-95E0-91830FEBA0857)
boot file path: System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi

My GPU is a Intel 4000 and I have NOT added any SMBIOS or UUID to my config.plist. I have tried to boot with GraphicsEnabler=N, but clover keeps stuck in that step.

Oh, thank you!! I'll check it out now and post what happens  ;)

EDIT: Ok, so I've successfully installed Clover, but every time I try to boot Maverick, the screen goes completely black (with no Apple logo whatsoever) and, after 2 minutes or so, the computer reboots. Booting with the -v flag shows this message:

efiboot loaded from device Acpi(PNP0A03.0)/Pci(1F|2)/SATA(0.0)/HD(Part2.SigFF040F85-B046-95E0-91830FEBA0857)
boot file path: System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi

My GPU is a Intel 4000 and I have NOT added any SMBIOS or UUID to my config.plist. I have tried to boot with GraphicsEnabler=N, but clover keeps stuck in that step.

Have you tried to boot without caches from clover?

• Like 1

Ok, ok!! Sorry for being that annoying, but I've finally managed to get EVERYTHING working. The problem is that, after updating to 10.9.2, I don't know how to patch the AppleIntelCapri kext thing. Can someone please, please, upload their own patched version, I would really appreciate that a lot. Thanks for all!! ;)

Ok, ok!! Sorry for being that annoying, but I've finally managed to get EVERYTHING working. The problem is that, after updating to 10.9.2, I don't know how to patch the AppleIntelCapri kext thing. Can someone please, please, upload their own patched version, I would really appreciate that a lot. Thanks for all!! ;)

Anita

you can use this http://fileom.com/q231lkyl331z

;-)
  • Like 1

The screen keeps on going to black before I see the desktop. I have changed the kexts (bluetooth and capri ones) and corrected permissions. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?? Do i have to add something to Clover's config.plist?? Is it that I need to use the DSDT?? What am I doing wrong??

The screen keeps on going to black before I see the desktop. I have changed the kexts (bluetooth and capri ones) and corrected permissions. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?? Do i have to add something to Clover's config.plist?? Is it that I need to use the DSDT?? What am I doing wrong??

if you use my pack, the DSDT is already included...

To alleviate some confusion, most of your post install issues have been discussed over here in the 420 thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/page-25?do=findComment&comment=1952283 This link also drops you right on tluck's 420 guide which is a good jumping off point for those of you still having trouble installing. The thread was meant to be renamed to include the 430 but I never provided the OP with my files. It seems that Uoc Nguyen and eliatuno have a good packs. Please feel free to head over there and continue the discussion. I'd hate to see fellow 430 owners struggle and redo research when there's a parallel thread. Thanks for your work so far.

• Like 1

@Sheep_Reaper: I think it is better to make another thread for T430 caused T420 and W520 are good threads for modern Thinkpads but they are a bit old and have some different hardware with T430 need another solution to solve it such as: NVIDIA card, Intel HD 4000, Bluetooth... I have research across all related threads and forum to make T430 work well with latest release of the Mavericks. Based on your reply, I think it is better to put all related links to OP to make it easy to reach and solve people issues (common issues).

Ah ha,

Quite persuasive. I concur. However, the OP for the 420 thread is hard to contact. He has not been active for quite some time. As 430 questions pop up, I will direct them here. Currently there is at least one user that needs to enable discrete graphics and has thus far been unsuccessful. Perhaps you could jump in temporarily over to the 420 thread for some advice? I have a 2349GCU so no discrete graphics I'm afraid.

Hi all

i've updated my system to 10.9.4, so i patched the new version of AppleIntelFramebufferCapri and IOBluetoothFamily, you can find them at end of post.

i tried to patch AppleHDA but audio don't work has expected, so i ask if anyone has successfully patched audio for ALC269?

i've another question for you, this update (10.9.4) and 10.9.3, broke my shutdown/reboot sequence, is the same for anyone?

Have a nice day

modded_10.9.4.zip

• 1 month later...

Thanx for the nice Guide. I followed it but when it booted the installer USB it says CPU halted and shutsdown. So i used myHAck and installed the system and was able to login to the installed system using -v -f GraphicsEnabler=No. Any help on how to setup graphics, ethernet , audio. Below is my Thinkpad config

Thinkpad T430( Model: 2350-B49), Core i5 (ivy), Intel HD4000, 12 GB RAM, 1600X900 res.

Hey,

i managed to get everything working except BT and Mic. 

Can you please tell me what you have done to get it work?

Thanks!

//EDIT:

Sound working

BT working

Hey,

i managed to get everything working except BT and Mic. 

Can you please tell me what you have done to get it work?

Thanks!

//EDIT:

Sound working

BT working

Can you tell us if Brightness work and what kexts was used if so. Any info on getting the battery monitor working wold be helpful. Thanx

Hi all.

I would like to share the results of  mixing my work and work of  other before me on my T430s (2355).

I use the post of UocNguyen as template(Thanks for the work!)

Working:

• CPU PowerManagement  (SpeedStep enabled using ssdt-gen script and clover states generation option)
  • Intel HD4000 with AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri patched at latest version (10.9.3) to use internal LVDS and external DP port (i read apple removed support for embedded VGA start from 10.8.3 kext, from my tests i'm able to use a VGA monitor while start laptop from docking station with lid closed but there are something bad with EDID probe and with refresh so i think the very big problem is the VGA output use the same channel of internal LCD/LVDS)
  • Audio work with patched AppleHDA (and IOAudioFamily from 10.9.0) Speaker/Headphone/Internal Mic/Mic on headphone/
  • Ethernet work with AppleE1000.kext
  • Trackpoint, touchpad and keyboard work with VoodooPS2
  • Patched Bluetooth kext with support for BCM20702A0
  • USB 3 with GenericUSBXHCI ( Run at 5gbps), all 3 ports are capable to charging an iPad
  • Battery recognized with ACPIbatteryManager
  • WWAN HSPA Working with SIM inserted, modded CellPhoneHelper.kext,IOSerialFamily and modded CCL in /Library/ModemScripts/ (tell me if work!)
  • UEFI boot with latest version of CLOVER
  • Sleep, wake, restart and shutdown fully working (10.9.2 seems to resolve this issue)
  • Keyboard. Multimedia keys: Sleep, Prev / Play / Pause / Next (Brightness control with Fn-F8/F9 not work, mapped in DSDT with Fn-K/P)
  • Windows Installation on other SSD partition run fine with VMware Fusion Bootcamp and directly form choose it in Boot selection menù (when you boot with windows you must restore Clover EFI boot option manually in UEFI BIOS to start osx later, because the Micro$oft Boot loader set itself as primary when start  :yes: )

Additional external device:

* NOT working and know problem:

• Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 Wireless adapter( simply no kext exist for this device....)
  • I tried to install mPCI-E Broadcom WLAN used in my old T420s but it's seems not possible to flash modded bios without external programmer. No success with any other methods like tape pin 20 of mPCI-E or placing in second mPCI-E slot.
  • Card reader (Partially working with VoodooSDHC kext, but sometimes system hangs. I removed the SD reader for using Wifi adapter)
  • Brought video from iTunes doesn't play on LVDS device (LCD display attached on VGA on board doesn't support HDCP)
  • WWAN icon in status bar appear only after sleep/wake cycle :huh: 
  • Headphone jack sometimes not work after sleep (it's seems to fixing itself after another sleep/wake cycle :blink:)
  • Headphone Volume control 

For install use info from T420 thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/page-25?do=findComment&comment=1952283

NOTE: need to change the SMBIOS hardware section and CustomUUID to your own hardware.

My pack: https://www.firedrive.com/file/9991150C50684CB7

I want to thanks all creators of any components used for this test.

PS: sorry for bad english  ;) 

I have a t430 (Model: 2350-b49). I have all of them working on the installed MAvericks 10.9.0 except Brightness control. So i wanted to know if there is any kext to implement this without DSDT and any shortcut key to do this brightness change

I have a t430 (Model: 2350-b49). I have all of them working on the installed MAvericks 10.9.0 except Brightness control. So i wanted to know if there is any kext to implement this without DSDT and any shortcut key to do this brightness change

HD3000/HD4000 Brightness Fix:

DSDT Patches from here: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch

Apply:

"Rename GFX0 to IGPU"

"Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000)"

- rename patch must be done first and to all DSDT/SSDT that contain references to GFX0 that you're including in your final SSDT set

- Brightness patch must be done to the DSDT or SSDT that contains the definition for Device GFX0 (search for 'Device (GFX0)'

- Place DSDT and SSDT (if necessary) into a place where the bootloader will load them. For Clover, EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched (DSDT.aml, SSDT-x.aml where 'x' is a number). For Chameleon, /Extra/ssdt.aml, /Exra/ssdt-1.aml, /Extra/ssdt-2.aml, etc.

Install: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Backlight

Shortcut keys are a separate issue from working backlight control... Depends on the PS2 drivers you're using.

HD3000/HD4000 Brightness Fix:

DSDT Patches from here: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch

Apply:

"Rename GFX0 to IGPU"

"Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000)"

- rename patch must be done first and to all DSDT/SSDT that contain references to GFX0 that you're including in your final SSDT set

- Brightness patch must be done to the DSDT or SSDT that contains the definition for Device GFX0 (search for 'Device (GFX0)'

- Place DSDT and SSDT (if necessary) into a place where the bootloader will load them. For Clover, EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched (DSDT.aml, SSDT-x.aml where 'x' is a number). For Chameleon, /Extra/ssdt.aml, /Exra/ssdt-1.aml, /Extra/ssdt-2.aml, etc.

Install: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Backlight

Shortcut keys are a separate issue from working backlight control... Depends on the PS2 drivers you're using.

Can we do this with a kext rather than a DSDT( never done this).  Any guide as how to upgrade Mavericks 10.9.0 to 10.9.4

Can we do this with a kext rather than a DSDT( never done this).  Any guide as how to upgrade Mavericks 10.9.0 to 10.9.4

Requires kext and DSDT edits. Follow instructions in post #48.

Upgrading OS X point version will depend on your procedure for installing... Many updates contain changes to kexts you may have patched, and thus will be overwritten.