Thinkpad T430 - Mavericks 10.9.x - Yosemite 10.10

Uoc Nguyen

104 posts in this topic

Requires kext and DSDT edits. Follow instructions in post #48.

Upgrading OS X point version will depend on your procedure for installing... Many updates contain changes to kexts you may have patched, and thus will be overwritten.

Thanx for the info. If i create a DSDT now would that affect my current running mavericks instance. Is there a possibility to create a DSDT only for the brightness fix. Any guide to create DSDT would be a real help.

Thanx for the info. If i create a DSDT now would that affect my current running mavericks instance. Is there a possibility to create a DSDT only for the brightness fix. Any guide to create DSDT would be a real help.

Not sure I understand the question. The whole idea of patching DSDT is to "affect... current running mavericks instance", right? The idea being to fix backlight control.

Basic instructions for using MaciASL are provided at my github link for my laptop repo (first link in post #48). Have you read it yet?

Not sure I understand the question. The whole idea of patching DSDT is to "affect... current running mavericks instance", right? The idea being to fix backlight control.

Basic instructions for using MaciASL are provided at my github link for my laptop repo (first link in post #48). Have you read it yet?

My question was can i create a DSDT only to fix the brightness issue or would i have to create a DSDT to configure for the entire system. My current Mavericks (10.9.0) installation works with out any DSDT. I did try to use a close DSDT to my machine config but i failed to boot so was not sure how to create it

My question was can i create a DSDT only to fix the brightness issue or would i have to create a DSDT to configure for the entire system.

The instructions in post #48 provide only for fixing backlight control.

My current Mavericks (10.9.0) installation works with out any DSDT.

Not true. BIOS is providing native OEM DSDT. A DSDT, whether patched or not, is always in play.

Not true. BIOS is providing native OEM DSDT. A DSDT, whether patched or not, is always in play.

Oh ok great. that a piece of information i was not aware of. thank you. So can i create a new DSDT using maciASL and add ur Brightness Fix using the DSDT patch.

@Rehab,

I have a completely working snappy system. Thank you so much for all your help. I would like to know how to enable iPad charging using the USB ports and suddenly my camera stop working for FaceTime. Any help on this

hi Uoc Nguyen, thanks for your great effort.

may i ask 2 questions,

1. is this installation under UEFI+GPT or Legacy+MBR?

2. how do you deal with the wireless card finally? is a replacement of wifi card possible? or we can only use a USB-Wireless-Card?

may i ask 2 questions,

2. how do you deal with the wireless card finally? is a replacement of wifi card possible? or we can only use a USB-Wireless-Card?

Hi 

if you refer to my installation post and relative package, the setup is totally based on UEFI+GPT.
For  the WiFi i use a Linksys ExpressCard based on Broadcom chipset  that work OOB with OSX. I prefer this solution, because i use my system in working environment and i need to use WPA2 Enterprise authentication that is provided by original Apple extensions. Otherwise the USB wifi dongle,often use an external app for wireless discovery and authentication and is recognized by the system like a classic ethernet device.

@eilatuno,

Could you specify the linksys express card model no and which was the latest supported mac os x OOB

Hi 

if you refer to my installation post and relative package, the setup is totally based on UEFI+GPT.
For  the WiFi i use a Linksys ExpressCard based on Broadcom chipset  that work OOB with OSX. I prefer this solution, because i use my system in working environment and i need to use WPA2 Enterprise authentication that is provided by original Apple extensions. Otherwise the USB wifi dongle,often use an external app for wireless discovery and authentication and is recognized by the system like a classic ethernet device.

may i ask 2 questions,

@Demonbane

1. I'm using UEFI with GPT partitions.

2. I'm using the USB wifi dongle, as eilatuno said, USB wifi dongle will be use an extra application to scan and authenticate wifi network, it is annoying as you will need to start it up when login and wait for it ready before connect to wifi network, and yes, it is recognized as a wired network (ethernet) in network setting / system. So it you will not able to use AirDrop without force enable it before. I have not used express card yet, but I think it will be better than USB dongle option.

@eilatuno,

Could you specify the linksys express card model no and which was the latest supported mac os x OOB

The card is the Linksys WEC 600N, i bought it on ebay at this link http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Cisco-Linksys-WEC600N-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Ultra-RangePlus-Expresscard-/400344427648 (search on internet for other sources..).

I choose this card because i found a guy on the web with original Macbook Pro out of warranty and with airport broken, that use this card for replacement.

Refer to my original post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293762-thinkpad-t430-mavericks-109x/?p=2020717

The card is the Linksys WEC 600N, i bought it on ebay at this link http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Cisco-Linksys-WEC600N-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Ultra-RangePlus-Expresscard-/400344427648 (search on internet for other sources..).

I choose this card because i found a guy on the web with original Macbook Pro out of warranty and with airport broken, that use this card for replacement.

Refer to my original post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293762-thinkpad-t430-mavericks-109x/?p=2020717

Thanx for that info. Does wake using external keyboard or mouse work ?

UocNguyen you have sleep working ? My brother has a T430 comes with only HD4000 ( no Nvidia GPU ) resolution 1600x900 and sleep isn't working ( shutdown immediately ). How comes you can get yours to sleep ? I patched the DSDT using Rehabman repo, the DSDT is almost perfect except for the sleep issue, otherwise things are good

Good to see another Vietnamese fella here

UocNguyen you have sleep working ? My brother has a T430 comes with only HD4000 ( no Nvidia GPU ) resolution 1600x900 and sleep isn't working ( shutdown immediately ). How comes you can get yours to sleep ? I patched the DSDT using Rehabman repo, the DSDT is almost perfect except for the sleep issue, otherwise things are good

Make sure you have properly implemented native power management.

Also, make sure you're not dropping an OEM SSDT that is needed (typically... the one with IAOE object is needed, for example).

• 2 weeks later...

I have sleep work well. As RehabMan said, you will need to patch ACPI Power management kext and make sure the DSDT section for it is patched also.

The sleep start working since I upgrade to 10.9.3. It was something changed from Apple core / kernel.

Hi  I have a problem with my  laptop Model  Thinkpad T430 2344BMG , I installed OSX mavericks  using   niresh distro maverick usb and  files  from post #1  for 10.9.3  and post #42 for graphics fix   everything work's  but graphics QE/CI  and an USB no.

I using Chameleon-2.2svn-r2344.pkg  bootloader because clover not show  win 8.1 partition I do not know why. USB working when conect mouse or usb storage but  when connect iDevice  system freeze  in terminal see kernel  panic.

USB

I tried severals IOUSBFamily.kext  but not works  also  I treid GenericUSBXHCI.kext  for 10.9.4   and  Delete AppleUSBXHCI.kext from stock IOUSBFamily.kext  System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBXHCI.kext   every experiment was unsuccessful   on some cases usb not work's absolutely.

Screen_Shot_2014_09_10_at_2_41_02_PM.png

Graphics 

When  open lunchpad and scroll  page  graphics are rendered slowly I tried fix in org.chameleon.Boot.plist from other forum  but also  unsuccessful

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>7f0000000100000001000000730000000200000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff04002c0000004100410050004c002c00690067002d0070006c006100740066006f0072006d002d006900640000000800000004006601140000006800640061002d0067006600780000000d0000006f6e626f6172642d31</string>

Screen_Shot_2014_09_10_at_2_40_36_PM.png

In DSDT.aml using this patch

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x1A)

{

"AAPL00,DualLink", 

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

}, 

"device-id", 

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x66, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00

}, 

"AAPL,ig-platform-id", 

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x03, 0x00, 0x66, 0x01

}, 

"AAPL,HasPanel", 

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

}, 

"AAPL,Haslid", 

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

}, 

"AAPL,backlight-control", 

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

}, 

"@0,backlight-control", 

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

}, 

"@0,AAPL,boot-display", 

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

}, 

"@0,built-in", 

Buffer (One)

{

0x01

}, 

"vendor-id", 

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x86, 0x80, 0x00, 0x00

}, 

"subsystem-vendor-id", 

Buffer (0x04)

{

0xAA, 0x17, 0x00, 0x00

}, 

"subsystem-id", 

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x07, 0x50, 0x00, 0x00

}, 

"revision-id", 

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x09, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

Please advise me what I still try.

Best Regards  

• 2 weeks later...

You should follow this guide http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2945-guide-for-enabling-vga-and-hdmi-in-intel-hd4000-gpu/

My hex is writing in form of vim + xxd, it is default to 1 word (4 digits) per column. The `0300 6601` is platform id and `01 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 30 02 00 00` is for LDVS (Laptop built-in display). Depend on version of OSX, you can try: `01 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 30 02 00 00` or `05 03 00 00 02 00 00 00 30 02 00 00`.

Hi all.

I would like to share the results of  mixing my work and work of  other before me on my T430s (2355).

I use the post of UocNguyen as template(Thanks for the work!)

Working:

• CPU PowerManagement  (SpeedStep enabled using ssdt-gen script and clover states generation option)
  • Intel HD4000 with AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri patched at latest version (10.9.3) to use internal LVDS and external DP port (i read apple removed support for embedded VGA start from 10.8.3 kext, from my tests i'm able to use a VGA monitor while start laptop from docking station with lid closed but there are something bad with EDID probe and with refresh so i think the very big problem is the VGA output use the same channel of internal LCD/LVDS)
  • Audio work with patched AppleHDA (and IOAudioFamily from 10.9.0) Speaker/Headphone/Internal Mic/Mic on headphone/
  • Ethernet work with AppleE1000.kext
  • Trackpoint, touchpad and keyboard work with VoodooPS2
  • Patched Bluetooth kext with support for BCM20702A0
  • USB 3 with GenericUSBXHCI ( Run at 5gbps), all 3 ports are capable to charging an iPad
  • Battery recognized with ACPIbatteryManager
  • WWAN HSPA Working with SIM inserted, modded CellPhoneHelper.kext,IOSerialFamily and modded CCL in /Library/ModemScripts/ (tell me if work!)
  • UEFI boot with latest version of CLOVER
  • Sleep, wake, restart and shutdown fully working (10.9.2 seems to resolve this issue)
  • Keyboard. Multimedia keys: Sleep, Prev / Play / Pause / Next (Brightness control with Fn-F8/F9 not work, mapped in DSDT with Fn-K/P)
  • Windows Installation on other SSD partition run fine with VMware Fusion Bootcamp and directly form choose it in Boot selection menù (when you boot with windows you must restore Clover EFI boot option manually in UEFI BIOS to start osx later, because the Micro$oft Boot loader set itself as primary when start  :yes: )

Additional external device:

* NOT working and know problem:

• Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 Wireless adapter( simply no kext exist for this device....)
  • I tried to install mPCI-E Broadcom WLAN used in my old T420s but it's seems not possible to flash modded bios without external programmer. No success with any other methods like tape pin 20 of mPCI-E or placing in second mPCI-E slot.
  • Card reader (Partially working with VoodooSDHC kext, but sometimes system hangs. I removed the SD reader for using Wifi adapter)
  • Brought video from iTunes doesn't play on LVDS device (LCD display attached on VGA on board doesn't support HDCP)
  • WWAN icon in status bar appear only after sleep/wake cycle :huh:
  • Headphone jack sometimes not work after sleep (it's seems to fixing itself after another sleep/wake cycle :blink:)
  • Headphone Volume control 

For install use info from T420 thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/page-25?do=findComment&comment=1952283

NOTE: need to change the SMBIOS hardware section and CustomUUID to your own hardware.

My pack: https://www.firedrive.com/file/9991150C50684CB7

I want to thanks all creators of any components used for this test.

PS: sorry for bad english  ;) 

why couldn't the battery of my device be natively recognised by ACPIBatteryManager? have you done some kind of DSDT patches for Battery? 

and i'm also curious how did you rename all the "VID" to "IGPU"? the patches of Rehabman don't work for me...

and in additional, which patches did you do to your DSDT? only the ig-platform-id in graphic part and the layout-id in HDEF?

hi Demonbane

i used some patches found in Rehab repository, especially the Lenovo Patch x220 and t430u(if you see in patches notes, you read the compatibility for other lenovo product, so after a little research i find that many lenovo products share same chipset, components, maybe same motherboard like t430 and t430s).

i copied and pasted only parts those i think need for my config for example HDA, ig-platform, battery and AC, thermal and fan. i've created and tested many DSDT before find the best.

Then i tell you to study a functional DSDT and find/replace the parts who interest you or using the patches on the repository.

For example, if you have a T430s (like me) you can use the DSDT parts of T430 with the same specification, or copy and replace the parts you need, like ALC269 (audio) or HD4000 (video) that are used in T430 and T430s model.

hi Demonbane
i used some patches found in Rehab repository, especially the Lenovo Patch x220 and t430u(if you see in patches notes, you read the compatibility for other lenovo product, so after a little research i find that many lenovo products share same chipset, components, maybe same motherboard like t430 and t430s).
i copied and pasted only parts those i think need for my config for example HDA, ig-platform, battery and AC, thermal and fan. i've created and tested many DSDT before find the best.
Then i tell you to study a functional DSDT and find/replace the parts who interest you or using the patches on the repository.

For example, if you have a T430s (like me) you can use the DSDT parts of T430 with the same specification, or copy and replace the parts you need, like ALC269 (audio) or HD4000 (video) that are used in T430 and T430s model.

thanks bro,

did you meet such kind of problem: if the laptop get sleeping, then wake up and reboot, the laptop will stuck at the initial of GUI... i should force the laptop to shutdown by pressing the power button, then the it become normal again... seems there're problems with sleep.

PS: i didn't use all your stuffs, because there's problem with the graphic card. the GUI is much larger as the resolution, as the screen is exploded...

thanks bro,

did you meet such kind of problem: if the laptop get sleeping, then wake up and reboot, the laptop will stuck at the initial of GUI... i should force the laptop to shutdown by pressing the power button, then the it become normal again... seems there're problems with sleep.

PS: i didn't use all your stuffs, because there's problem with the graphic card. the GUI is much larger as the resolution, as the screen is exploded...

Hi

I've encountered this problem with an old version of UEFI firmware.

Update fw and retry, by my experience it solve many kind of problem, like sleep and nvram persistence.

For resolution you need to patch framebuffercapri and edit DSDT to reflect your ig-platform.

why couldn't the battery of my device be natively recognised by ACPIBatteryManager? have you done some kind of DSDT patches for Battery? 

and i'm also curious how did you rename all the "VID" to "IGPU"? the patches of Rehabman don't work for me...

and in additional, which patches did you do to your DSDT? only the ig-platform-id in graphic part and the layout-id in HDEF?

I have re-apply some new patches from Rehabman and get mixed up many patch for Battery, Sleep / Shutdown ... stuffs from tluck, some section need to specified patch caused it not work like T420.

I was keep VID in last DSDT but was changed all to IGPU for apply patches from Rehab repo.

For HD4000, it is fine with last patch (with binary patch also), but now I'm using Nvidia most of time as it is only way to make miniDP work well (with Dell external monitor)

I will attach my new package soon, included 10.9.x and 10.10. Same DSDT can be used for both OS X versions.

Oh, forgot to mention that since I not used Intel HD4000 so I was not intent to fix QE/CI for it atm. I will rework on it after Apple release the final version (in this month).