Laptop - Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p - 10.9 - Mavericks

useletters

332 posts in this topic

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Boot Banner</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>EHCIacquire</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>1920x1080x32</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>dart=0</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>SkipAtiGfx</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>SkipNvidiaGfx</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>UHCIreset</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>
I don't see anything about it except SkipNvidiaGfx=Yes.

What version of the bootloader?

Something is goofy with your setup (maybe you're not using the Boot.plist you think you are?)

Here is from Chameleon source:

case PCI_VENDOR_ID_NVIDIA:
							if (getBoolForKey(kSkipNvidiaGfx, &doit, &bootInfo->chameleonConfig) && doit)
							{
								verbose("Skip Nvidia gfx device!\n");
							}
								else
							{
								setup_nvidia_devprop(current);
							}
							break;
And, the message you're getting comes from setup_nvidia_devprop:

bool setup_nvidia_devprop(pci_dt_t *nvda_dev)
{
	if ((nvPatch = patch_nvidia_rom(rom)) == PATCH_ROM_FAILED) {
		printf("ERROR: nVidia ROM Patching Failed!\n");
		free(rom);
		//return false;
	}
If you're really using SkipNvidiaGfx=Yes, you'd never reach the setup_nvidia_devprop code.

i pm'd you that you should disable discrete graphics in bios it will boot first time, use -v just incase

hi peeps, new here, thanks to (rehabman, useletters, Sfairat) I'm up and running mavericks

first off Sfairat's dsdts and ssdt's and some kexts helped me fix display brightness, use fn insert+home for brightness.

patched the mach_kernel with rehab mans patch,

used ssdtprgen.sh to create my pm for the cpu, matched with mac pro 8.3 smbios.

deleted all the nulcpupm kext stuff

the only exception i have is that I'm using a patched applehda.kext for audio

works a treat, auto detects headphones etc. no distortion from voodoohda as i don't have it.

​I'm using rehabmans latest voodoops2 for kb/mouse, also works great, only thing that bugs me is the delay in dragging and releasing (no coasting fix i guess).

if anyone wants i will post my extra folder with kexts. and with mach_kernel, but you must have the i7_4700mq.

what works:

audio

hdmi (no audio) toledo's guide is damn impossible to understand and i compile android for unsupported phones... go figure

display

sleep/restart/shutdown. no deep sleep though.

everything except hdmi audio

[edit]

forgot to mention i also flashed svl's modded bios so i could use any wifi card... :)

GUIDE Lenovo Y510P OSx_10.9 Mavericks. 

Firstly Thanks To Useletters For The Initial Guide

HUGE BOOST IN PERFORMANCE AFTER THE PM SSDT

FROM 2500 2D 8000  3D

TO      5000 2D 12000 3D IN GEEKBENCH

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P

Intel I7-4700MQ

Intel HD4600 integrated graphics

Remove extra GPU from Ultrabay

Do your self a favour and disable discrete graphics in bios.

Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Elan/synaptics Touchpad

lenovo ship the y510p with various cards including: Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 Atheros AR9485WB-EG, neither work in osx.

Lenovo EasyCamera

Sound: Realtek. ALC282 codec

I had to use niresh Mavericks .dmg, as my DVD drive didn’t like osx

1a. burn it to a usb stick in windows: (8gb minimum) with win32 disk imager, select open change filetype to all, select niresh_mavericks.dmg and write to usb

1a_alt. burn it to usb in linux. you’ll need to use dd in terminal, or Disk Utility in osx

2a. Reboot to BIOS, and enable legacy boot support/ legacy first. make sure ahci is set for  SATA

3a. Reboot while pressing f12, Select your “USB STICK” now you should land in clover, Highlight the “USB STICK” and enter xpcm-free -v -f -x, it will boot.

3a. Now once it loads you’ll see a Strange Picture just press on the spacebar and click the mouse pad buttons till it disappears.

4a. setup your install Partitioning etc. With Niresh Installer you have an (Options) in the installer, make sure chameleon _standard is set for boot loader.

5a. continue install, once finished reboot without the usb (if it says boot0 error which it doesn’t for me,proceed to next step) boot with -x -v -f

5ab. SKIP THIS IF YOU DONT GET boot0 ERROR.  you’ll need to use the niresh usb to boot the HDD, select the install and use -x -v -f. fix the boot0 error with chimera 3.0.1

6a. Finish the installation of Mavericks it will tell you when the niresh app finishes installing stuff.

7a. Install attached files http://d-h.st/mHW to the root dir, don’t panic it should replace some files, give it permission, remove conflicting kext, (VoodooHDA.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext) goto system/library/extensions and delete them

8a. finished. it will boot without any boot flags now, 1 word of warning if you have windows installed on uefi it will hang on boots if you have fast boot or hibernate enabled on windows DISABLE IT!

9a. if it hangs at boot -x -v and fix permissions and take a look at the logs.

10a. CONGRATULATIONS you should now have a Working Install of Mavericks Exactly the same as my install!

hope this helps someone

SOME NOTES:

some people don’t get that if they’re using VOODOOHDA they have to goto audio midi setup and set the default audio device for sound to work. NOT NEEDED HERE THOUGH.

Once your setup goto touchpad and select your settings

everything else you need is already setup with the extra folder, dsdt’s and ssdts are from Sfairat thanks man! except the cpupm ssdt by me! thanks to pikeRalpha for the script

don’t forget to change you serial number in smbios!

Whats Working:

- Camera

- USB 3.0

- HDMI (no Audio)

- Ethernet LAN

- QE/CI

- Integrated graphics only (HD4600)

- Audio

- Trackpad

- Battery status

- Bluetooth (I won’t work for everyone as lenovo ships with different cards)

- WI-FI for Me as i flashed my bios with svl7’s whitelist modded bios from TechInferno Forums

- Sleep (no Deep Sleep)

- Display Brightness ( Fn INS+HOME)

- Card Reader

- Builtin Mic

- Lid Disables LCD backlight

- CPU Turbo + PM with mac pro 8.3 smbios

Not Working:

- HDMI Audio

- Discrete Graphics (GT750m)

CREDITS TO: PikerAlpha TOLEDA REHABMAN USELETTERS SFAIRAT VOODOO.

• Like 3

7a. Install attached files http://d-h.st/mHW to the root dir, don’t panic it should replace some files, give it permission, remove conflicting kext, (VoodooHDA.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext) goto system/library/extensions and delete them

Can somebody explain a bit in more details about what are the steps that are required in step 7a of the above tutorial?

Many thanks to everybody!

Download the attachment.

Open finder and use go to in menu bar and type \ then enter. If nothing shows up then you need to show hidden files.

Your in the root of your install of osx. Copy system and extra and mach_kernel to the root dir, giving permissions when it asks to replace files.

Define "Successful" ? I mean, what would you expect from an install to assume it is "successful" ?

Ok I didn't explain correctly. I expect stable working Yosemite after "successful" installation)

Is any guide in this topic suitable for 10.10? I have stable 10.9.3 and want to update to 10.10. 

In that case, Yosemite is working almost stable on Y510P. There's, however, problem with graphics even after patching and having full resolution with QE/CI. You can read about it in post installation issues section in this forum. Other issues does exist but mainly, the system works good.

Hello there

I am trying to copy the files from the usb to the root of my Maverick installation just as onejay09 suggested, but I am having difficulties.

So, once I set Show Hidden Files on your Mac and type 'defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE' in terminal, mach_kernel can be deleted and replaced by the patched one.

Also, the Extra folder get's copied across smoothly, just requesting the 'administrator name and password' and then confirm with 'Replace'.

But when it comes to the 'System' folder and I drag and drop it from one place to another, the authentication is required once again, only that this time I get a message saying  "System" can't be modified or deleted because it's required by OS X.

Any advice how to get through this message so I can proceed further with the installation?

Many thanks.

Hi guys,

I'm sorry I've been inactive for so long as I've switched to windows 8 for work purposes (I got annoyed removing my ultrabay card every time I switch my machine on).

Nevertheless, I'll try to do a new hackintosh with Mac OS x 10.10 Yosemite.

Anyway, I bought a caddy and replaced the ultrabay GFX.

Also, has any of you guys successfully achieved working single GT750m?

As far as my research gone, I think we can make it work by disabling switching in BIOS, (MODDED BIOS) and set primary display to PEG (PCIE GRAPHICS).

Though when I try to, I get a blank boot (Windows 8) so I have to put my ultrabay GFX to get LVDS display back on.

Now, I came to a resolution, removing Intel HD kext, and keeping NVDA kext on, as GT750m is supported natively by OSx, as seen on this link (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5942MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013 & 2014)

These  are all my theories and not have in anyway tried if it worked, as I'll be making a new hackintosh from scratch.

Thank you!

• Like 1

I never heard of any case that someone enabled discrete gfx for OS X on an optimus system. The main problem, AFAIK, is to disable the integrated gfx completely and connect display via discrete gfx as you already stated. For other laptops this could be understandable because discrete gfx may have no connection to display but in our laptop I donno ... I don't understand how gfx work while in SLI mode. When both nvidia cards are on the display seems to be connected through nvidia and intel gfx seems completely non exist. So as long as there is no technical thing I'm not aware of, our first nvidia card is connected to the display and to get it recognized by OS X is a matter of altering BIOS to priorize nvidia over intel for display (because SLI is currently the only case nvidia is at first port to display and SLI is not supported by OS X AFAIK).

All of this I think you know already and my words may be yours rephrased.

Well as far as my installation of 10.10, I have yet to enable QE/CI on my Intel HD 4600, also, I don't think we'll be able to boot the system with disabled IGFX, as it is where the LVDS is connected. We can disable IGFX but we have to put on the ultra bay GFX too have a working PEG on the LVDS. Again, just my theory.

Edit:

Do you have a working 10.10 install with QE/CI? I can't seem to make it work.

Yes, I had one. You have to patch these 2 kexts: AppleIntelHD5000Graphics.kext and AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext. If you are using Clover, you can batch them on the fly from config.plist with this data:

Name: AppleIntelHD5000Graphics
find: 3D868012047410EB5D
repl: 3D868016047410EB5D

Name: AppleIntelFramebufferAzul
find: 3D86801204
repl: 3D86801604

Also, make these settings in the same file:

Devices/FakeID/IntelGFX=0x04128086
Graphics/Inject/Intel=Yes
Graphics/ig-platform-id=0x0a260006

Otherwise, if you don't use Clover, you might need to patch the kexts manually. See this link for details: https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2014/09/10/experimental-bin-patch-for-hd4600-mobile-gt2/.

I didn't invent these, but found them on post by RehabMan on the forbidden forum. So credit goes to him.

I can't seem to make them work.. Gettin' rusty. Trying to make it work for the last 8hrs haha -_- I use clover, I used the installation guide from AIO Guide hackintosh. Can you post your config.plist here so I could check it out? Thanks!

Edit:

Is the clover on the fly patch should be used on a vanilla install?

Thanks, I'll try it with a vanilla install.
Will keep you posted.

Edit:

I used Vietnam Hackintosh tool to make a config.plist, having hd4600 patch and haswell mobile cpu. After logging in, I get stuck, just the spinning beach ball right after loggin in. Any idea? I have to boot my MacHD from the installation bootloader to get into desktop.

Edit 2:

Still can't make it work after a new installation. Here's my config.plist http://pastebin.com/3L2LxMRz

Edit 3:

I get this graphics (see attached) on the LVDS from this config.plist http://pastebin.com/wamYzeKi

post-1199894-0-44750000-1414041367_thumb.jpg

Hello there

I am trying to copy the files from the usb to the root of my Maverick installation just as onejay09 suggested, but I am having difficulties.

So, once I type 'defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE' in terminal, mach_kernel can be deleted and replaced by the patched one.

Also, the Extra folder get's copied across smoothly, just requesting the 'administrator name and password' and then confirm with 'Replace'.

For the content of 'Systems' folder, I use kext wizard to install the kext's that are present inside the folder.

While this is a Niresh .dmg (nothing else would boot), I follow onejay09's guide from post 178 and after doing the above steps (7a), replace some files, give them permission..., and remove conflicting kext... thus removing:

drwxr-xr-x  3 ZsikoBoom  staff   102 Nov 24  2012 AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

drwxr-xr-x  3 ZsikoBoom  staff   102 Nov 10  2011 NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 ZsikoBoom  staff   102 Jun  8  2013 VoodooHDA.kext

Issue is that after restart the screen top side is flickering or osx is not restarting (Stuck @ loading in a loop)

Touchpad is dead atm, and Elan touchpad V4 kext didn't work; I'll try the VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip soon.

BTW, my BCM4352 arrived and the wireless works like a charm (Bluetooth needs investigation).

Help is much appreciated. Thanks.

@useletters, I checked the config.plist I uploaded earlier and I can confirm it is faulty. Sorry for that but as I said I didn't have OS X and just picked the wrong backup. I installed from scratch and here's the one that should work: http://pastebin.com/3ZF5uZ7K.

Let me know if it didn't (it works on my machine).

Maverick freezes after 5 min after reboot now... 

Did you install Chimera 3.0.1?

did you use the config.plist i included,

if your having issues, then you can always use MBST, and select EBST, then re-replace the system & extra stuff and delete evoreboot.kext, that should fix it 4 ya