Laptop - Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p - 10.9 - Mavericks

useletters

332 posts in this topic

Guys, for those of you who use ig-platform-id = 0x0A260006 and have few glitches here and there, this patch is worth a try:

<dict>
	<key>Comment</key>
	<string>0x0a260006 9MB cursor bytes patch</string>
	<key>Find</key>
	<string>0600260a01030303000000020000300100006000</string>
	<key>Name</key>
	<string>AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>
	<key>Replace</key>
	<string>0600260a01030303000000020000300100009000</string>
</dict>

This of course for Clover but can be translated to allow kext-binary on-disk patching for working with other bootloaders.

Guys, for those of you who use ig-platform-id = 0x0A260006 and have few glitches here and there, this patch is worth a try:

<dict>
	<key>Comment</key>
	<key>Find</key>
	<string>0600260a01030303000000020000300100006000</string>
	<key>Name</key>
	<key>Replace</key>
	<string>0600260a01030303000000020000300100009000</string>
</dict>

This of course for Clover but can be translated to allow kext-binary on-disk patching for working with other bootloaders.

Does this resolve the 16-bit issue we're having?

Update to the patch posted above (the values of From and Replace should be put into Clover Configurator but in config.plist they are encoded differently as usual):

<dict>
	<key>Comment</key>
	<key>Find</key>
	<data>
	BgAmCgEDAwMAAAACAAAwAQAAYAA=
	</data>
	<key>Name</key>
	<key>Replace</key>
	<data>
	BgAmCgEDAwMAAAACAAAwAQAAkAA=
	</data>
</dict>

Does this resolve the 16-bit issue we're having?

The only way to fix 16bit color is completely disabling nvidia card. You can do this in bios (i haven't founded such option) or with patched SSDT. currently my clover doesn't work well, he doesn't load any kexts or patched DSDT/SSDT. currently i have no any chance to fix 16bit color untill i will have fully working clover. deleting NVDA kexts doesn't solve the problem at all and probably wrong action.

The only way to fix 16bit color is completely disabling nvidia card. You can do this in bios (i haven't founded such option) or with patched SSDT. currently my clover doesn't work well, he doesn't load any kexts or patched DSDT/SSDT. currently i have no any chance to fix 16bit color untill i will have fully working clover. deleting NVDA kexts doesn't solve the problem at all and probably wrong action.

If you don't have the option to disable Nvidia in BIOS try to update BIOS firmware because I have that option. However, neither disabling it from BIOS nor via DSDT/ACPI made any difference to the issue under investigation. I'm saying this because I tried both way and the problem still presist.

If you don't have the option to disable Nvidia in BIOS try to update BIOS firmware because I have that option. However, neither disabling it from BIOS nor via DSDT/ACPI made any difference to the issue under investigation. I'm saying this because I tried both way and the problem still presist.

Do you have 16bit color display now?

If you mean having 16-bit colour in general then no. Not now with Nvidia disabled and never happened even with Nvidia is enabled. I only get the 16-bit colour after setting display to sleep then wake it up. This can be reproduced by many ways, for example assume you have nice graphics then do one of these:

• Open System Preferences, click Desktop & Screen Saver, click Screen Saver, click Hot Corners, and set any corner to "Put Display to Sleep" and hit OK. Now move the cursor to that cursor and display will turn off (but system is running). Move the cursor or hit any key to wake it up and graphics is distorted and restart will be lost.
  • Assuming your system can sleep and wake normally then do that, let it sleep and wake it up. Once it up the same symptoms will happen, graphics is distorted and restart will be lost (that's because waking the system involves waking the display which replicate the previous scenario).

If, however, we do not need to put OS X to sleep at all or generally we won't ever need to set display to sleep then this issue won't be happening. I also found it's related to the mobile ig-platform-id (be it 0x0a260006, 0x0a260005, 0x0a260000, or 0x0a26000a). The desktop ig-platform-id (0d220003), however,  doesn't have that same issue. Using that and upon waken the display from sleep the colours remain fine but the graphics seems to be unstable when moving objects, opening menus, or dragging windows.

I would say the graphics driver for HD4600 needs on more patch not yet available and I hope someone would care to dig it through.

If you mean having 16-bit colour in general then no. Not now with Nvidia disabled and never happened even with Nvidia is enabled. I only get the 16-bit colour after setting display to sleep then wake it up. This can be reproduced by many ways, for example assume you have nice graphics then do one of these:

• Open System Preferences, click Desktop & Screen Saver, click Screen Saver, click Hot Corners, and set any corner to "Put Display to Sleep" and hit OK. Now move the cursor to that cursor and display will turn off (but system is running). Move the cursor or hit any key to wake it up and graphics is distorted and restart will be lost.
  • Assuming your system can sleep and wake normally then do that, let it sleep and wake it up. Once it up the same symptoms will happen, graphics is distorted and restart will be lost (that's because waking the system involves waking the display which replicate the previous scenario).

If, however, we do not need to put OS X to sleep at all or generally we won't ever need to set display to sleep then this issue won't be happening. I also found it's related to the mobile ig-platform-id (be it 0x0a260006, 0x0a260005, 0x0a260000, or 0x0a26000a). The desktop ig-platform-id (0d220003), however,  doesn't have that same issue. Using that and upon waken the display from sleep the colours remain fine but the graphics seems to be unstable when moving objects, opening menus, or dragging windows.

I would say the graphics driver for HD4600 needs on more patch not yet available and I hope someone would care to dig it through.

i have no any problems that you describe in general. My graphics works perfectly after all this scenario. I have no any artefacts, flickerings, colors changing or whatever neither after cold boot nor after sleep. i have perfectly working with HDMI external monitor. i only have 16bit color display in general)

i have no any problems that you describe in general. My graphics works perfectly after all this scenario. I have no any artefacts, flickerings, colors changing or whatever neither after cold boot nor after sleep. i have perfectly working with HDMI external monitor. i only have 16bit color display in general)

Saying you are having 16-bit colours in general is a worst problem and of course you wouldn't have the exact problems I'm talking about. How would you feel you have a wet hand when you are diving under the water !!!! It's annoying for me (and others) to have 16-bit colours after certain operations but you have this all the time so you don't have to replicate the certain operations to have it, you won't find any difference!

I'm sorry man, it's not that I'm decriping something doesn't exist because it does. It's that you have bigger issue that needs to be fixed right away so you can see our current problem.

How did you install the system and how did you got the graphics (cough) to work?

No I didn't but I don't think they are relevant as the problem persist as the problem occurs even when Nvidia card disabled. Are you just suggesting or you have good progress in this? 

I was just suggesting as I'm currently not tweaking my OSx boot. :D

LoooooL. C'mon man, be brave and sail on with me. Are you leaving in the middle of the road? I need a hand here!

Well, actually I have a project that has to be done a week a go. I'm far behind schedule that's why I'm not quite tinkering my machine. hehe. I'll help you guys as soon as I can. :D

Saying you are having 16-bit colours in general is a worst problem and of course you wouldn't have the exact problems I'm talking about. How would you feel you have a wet hand when you are diving under the water !!!! It's annoying for me (and others) to have 16-bit colours after certain operations but you have this all the time so you don't have to replicate the certain operations to have it, you won't find any difference!

I'm sorry man, it's not that I'm decriping something doesn't exist because it does. It's that you have bigger issue that needs to be fixed right away so you can see our current problem.

How did you install the system and how did you got the graphics (cough) to work?

I installed with clover efi usb stick. Nothing special) Then my clover worked good it loaded all kexts and patched dsdt/ssdt, but my graphics didn't have QE/CI. Then suddenly clover stopped load any kexts (I had to install it manually on disk) and dsdt/ssdt. And my graphics started to work with QE/CI but in 16bit color only in general). I think it's not bad, i have QE/CI/shutdown/sleep/restart works perfect) I've tried to change almost all in config.plist, I've tried different graphic kexts patches - no differents. I've tried different ig-platform-id - the same result) I can boot with any id. OS X works perfect) It loads just in 3-4 secs.

Yes, 16 bit color is annoying but I'm used to it) But I don't stop trying anyway)

Okay we are getting you closer to converge to our problems :D.

Not relevant but the issue (of 16-bit gradients) I'm still having not only occuring at System sleep/wake, Display sleep/wake, but also while trying to connect an external monitor. Basically, any process for turning off the display then turning it on without rebooting the system will cause the issue. Something changes when display is turned off and doesn't get changed back when it is on again.

Okay we are getting you closer to converge to our problems :D.

Not relevant but the issue (of 16-bit gradients) I'm still having not only occuring at System sleep/wake, Display sleep/wake, but also while trying to connect an external monitor. Basically, any process for turning off the display then turning it on without rebooting the system will cause the issue. Something changes when display is turned off and doesn't get changed back when it is on again.

you could try to modify the bios, intel HD4600 vbios and uefi driver (GOP) could be updated to the latest.

you could try to modify the bios, intel HD4600 vbios and uefi driver (GOP) could be updated to the latest.

Thank you for that but have you done that so you don't have an issue? Say connect an external display then try to restart will it do so?