Low-end "portable" hack, will this work?

7 posts in this topic

Hello, I am thinking of splitting up my hack into a home version and a tiny "portable Mac Mini look-a-like".

Just wondering if this parts list will be a success with Mavericks??

MB: Gigabyte GA-B75N

CPU: Intel Pentium G2030 (maybe lower multiplier to run around 2.5GHz to emit less heat)

CPU Cooler: Akasa CCE-7106HP low profile copper core aluminum cooler

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz 8GB CL9

SSD: 240GB Intel 520Series

+ HDD: random WD HGST 500GB 2.5" drive (SSD + HDD maybe setup in FusionDrive mode)

Chassis + PSU: 120w random mini PSU in a e-mini Q6 case

Because I already have the most expensive parts I can get the whole thing for less than $300 (living in Denmark with extremely high taxes so might be a better deal other places in the world).

Is there anything on my list that will give me problems I have to work around???

I only need the machine for when I host lectures and need to do a keynote on location, I don't like laptops and powerpoint is just not good enough. So better bring my own gear.

Yes, I have installed ML in this board no problem, but the integrate graphics from this cpu not a good idea, not work, try one with HD4000 or a Graphic card

Edit: HD 2500 not good idea, HD 2000 not work , not have support to QE/CI problematic card, integrate that work very easy is HD4000

Yes, I have installed ML in this board no problem, but the integrate graphics from this cpu not a good idea, not work, try one with HD4000 or a Graphic card

Edit: HD 2500 not good idea, HD 2000 not work , not have support to QE/CI problematic card, integrate that work very easy is HD4000

Hey wait a second, I do already have a HD4000 CPU, in my current system! 

So I take the i3-3225 I have there and replace with a i3-3240 because I already have a GTX660 there and will never need to use the onboard on that machine.

So if the list look like this:

MB: Gigabyte GA-B75N

CPU: Intel i3-3225 (maybe lower multiplier to run around 3GHz to emit less heat)

CPU Cooler: Akasa CCE-7106HP low profile copper core aluminum cooler

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz 8GB CL9

SSD: 240GB Intel 520Series

+ HDD: random WD HGST 500GB 2.5" drive (SSD + HDD maybe setup in FusionDrive mode)

Chassis + PSU: 120w random mini PSU in a e-mini Q6 case

Will that work?

PSU minimal 150W, I think,  or take a look in the suma of all hardware if this is sufficient 

If I calculate it should only use up to 130watt at absolute maximum, but you are right, it is on the edge... Thanks for letting me know, had not thought about it :)