G73SW - 10.9 Install

jeffc2009

142 posts in this topic

I've got it finally working with Mavericks 10.9.0 not with Mavericks 10.9.3 because this gives me al lot of errors and no booting anymore (lot of text on screen while booting, and don't boot)

To get it working I've used this tutorial to copy Mavericks 10.9.0 to my USB: http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3836

Once on my desktop, I first installed Enoch, then I installed all the kext from the first post of this topic including the PMPatched BIOS AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext, and the kext from styrian.

Then I copied the extra folder to the root of my Mac Disk.

Reboot

Then override the displays-daf and install the app store updates (Not the 10.9.3 update)

That worked for me.

I've got it finally working with Mavericks 10.9.0 not with Mavericks 10.9.3 because this gives me al lot of errors and no booting anymore (lot of text on screen while booting, and don't boot)

To get it working I've used this tutorial to copy Mavericks 10.9.0 to my USB: http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3836

Once on my desktop, I first installed Enoch, then I installed all the kext from the first post of this topic including the PMPatched BIOS AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext, and the kext from styrian.

Then I copied the extra folder to the root of my Mac Disk.

Reboot

Then override the displays-daf and install the app store updates (Not the 10.9.3 update)

That worked for me.

Hello!

Nice!

I am happy for you, that you have now a happy  :happymac:  :) 

Have fun!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi All, newbie here. I've successfully installed 10.9 on my g73sw following this guide. Many thanks for that.

My issue is, it only works as an external drive.

During install, if I placed the hard drive in the Sata slot, the OS X installer would not recognize it at all. So I've done the install using an external USB drive, and it all worked well, and boots from Usb without problem.

I've tried placing the HD in the Sata slot in the laptop, but it won't boot - a bit after the hackintosh screen comes on, it stops with a block sign.

I know the Sata board works, as I have a working Windows on the second hard drive slot.

Any suggestion as to what I should look into?

When you turn the laptop on, tap escape a few times at the Asus logo until you get the blue menu and enter setup. Go to advanced > SATA configuration and check what SATA mode selection is set to. It should be AHCI but I'm willing to bet it's IDE. Does this solve it?

Thank you Ellnic, that did the trick!  :)

It's booting nicely now. I've just landed abroad from a long flight and as soon as I can I will go through stuff and see if/what's not working properly. But for now, I've got wireless (using a wireless card from a Mac), sound, usb. Usb 3 isn't working, though it's powering  up devices.

Great :) Glad to hear it works. I don't have this model laptop anymore as mine was problematic for me, but I'll help you as much as I can. For USB 3 try powering off and removing the battery for 5 mins, then power back on.

Thank you for the help :)

I've tried the battery trick it twice but no joy yet. It did something though: Usb2 hard drives now work on the Usb3 plug.

However the Usb3 hard drive powers on, but does not show, not even in disk utility. It does work plugged on the Usb2 plugs. In Windows, Usb3 works properly. Weird.

What works: sleep, function keys, display brightness, sound, microphone/headphones, wireless, Usb2.

What does not work: Usb3, bluetooth, keyboard backlight and ethernet. (Keyboard backlight and ethernet don't work in windows either; recently I made the mistake of replacing the motherboard with a used one, and lost them as a result...).

I'm still trying to get the trackpad gestures to work—need to go over it again to make sure I;ve done it right. Not wrking at the moment.

I have standard bios 205, using the WithoutPMpatched kext that Jeff provided. Should I switch to his bios?

I wouldn't get too disheartened about USB 3. Mine worked when it felt like it. Which was never when I needed it most.

From the sounds of it, you have most the main things working. For this model, I would be pretty pleased with that. We'll discount backlit keys and Ethernet as that looks like a hardware fault.

The problem that I found is that there are apparently a ton of sub revisions for these laptops and the little differences cause the same kexts to work for one person and not for others. Problem items are audio, backlit keys and USB 3 and battery - maybe more. I've even heard of people with apparently identical hardware and the same kexts just don't work. For no reason. The sub never works. Even in windows. Or at least, not at the same time as the stereo speakers. Instead of letting the bios handle the woofer and backlit keys, Asus let that be handled by drivers. This is where the problem comes in.

The modded bios Jeff posted is for using with a vanilla AICPM kext. If you are booting, you are already using the patched kext (as you mentioned), so flashing the modded bios will cause a kernel panic because you will need to restore the vanilla kext. Personally, if it works, stick with it. A note on this laptop's BIOS and flashing - stay away unless you really have to. There are bios bugs that can brick the board. If you really must flash, use the EZflash utility and MAKE SURE you have the rom on a fat32 key drive. There is a bug in the bios that Asus refuse to fix whereby flashing from NTFS will brick it. Others in this thread have experienced this bug first hand and it has cost them. Bad Asus!

A final thought... There was some work over at Olarila getting Yosemite to work with Clover on the G73SW. You may want to look at that also. It might help your USB 3, Bluetooth etc to work.

EDIT: additional info.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

I know it's an old topic but I am also facing the black screen issue...

I am the owner of an Asus G73SW and I followed the tutorial on the first page. However, the only way I could get the installer to start was by adding nv_disable=1 as a boot flag.

Once the OS is installed, I reboot and install all the kexts as indicated. When I try to reboot, I get stuck at 

**** [ IOBluetoothHCIController ][protectedBluetoothHCIControllerTransportShowsUp] -- connected to the transport successfully -- 0x6000 -- 0x8800 – 0xf400 **** , at which point the system just reboots after a few seconds. 

I've tried both Chameleon and Clover and I've also try adding different board IDs in System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist

I understand the problem comes from the gtx 460m as I can't boot the installer without nv_disable=1 but this boot flag doesn't work after following the procedure... 

How did you get the installer to launch without boot flags?