Beginners guide to UEFI Triple/Dual boot OS X, Windows and Linux (Kali) on an single true-gpt ssd

dual boot osx windows efi gpt uefi clover acer s3 triple boot linux

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

IIIdefconIII

IIIdefconIII

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:pc, hackintosh, servers, soccer, xbox360, work

Hey,

Looks like an awesome guide! can't wait to try. Also, How woukd I change my steps if I am interested in using windows on one hdd and osx mavericks on another? My laptop has two, 1tb hdds.

Thanks!

Thanks well it basicly the same, but instead of choosing windows on the first disk just isntall it to the second one, clover should regonise it automaticly

Leumas1311

Leumas1311

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Getting my first computer build to work.

Hello! Ive recently created for myself a pc that can boot into windows 8.1 and os x 10.10. I have each installation on a separate SSD formatted to UEFI and GPT. I can boot into each installation, but only from going into the BIOS and selecting the correct drive. I have tried installing clover to dual boot but it hasn't worked... :( does anyone have any instructions or guides to point me to?

Thanks in advance for your current work and future work!

IIIdefconIII

IIIdefconIII

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 123 posts

Hello! Ive recently created for myself a pc that can boot into windows 8.1 and os x 10.10. I have each installation on a separate SSD formatted to UEFI and GPT. I can boot into each installation, but only from going into the BIOS and selecting the correct drive. I have tried installing clover to dual boot but it hasn't worked... :( does anyone have any instructions or guides to point me to?

Thanks in advance for your current work and future work!

Can you boot into Clover? if so you need to edit the clover.plist file in /EFI and create a menu entry for the other harddisk.
if you cannot boot into clover from hdd, insert usb off clover, boot from it, go to options, add as boot entry. From there on go the osx and edit the clover.plst

Leumas1311

Leumas1311

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for such a quick response! I re-created the OS X installer usb and booted into clover. I tried adding it as a boot entry, -I think... I'm not entirely sure I did the right thing... what do I do the the clover.plist once I'm into OS X

Thanks in advance!

IIIdefconIII

IIIdefconIII

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 123 posts

Thanks for such a quick response! I re-created the OS X installer usb and booted into clover. I tried adding it as a boot entry, -I think... I'm not entirely sure I did the right thing... what do I do the the clover.plist once I'm into OS X

Thanks in advance!

open Clover configurator find youre the path of the efi loader from windows, it should be someting simulair to /EFI/windows/ if you want i can teamview in youre osx to take a look cause this is a long time ago for me. Also check the wiki of clover.plist

Leumas1311

Leumas1311

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thanks for the response and offer! I'm really grateful for your help! When I was experimenting with booting os's from the clover USB I tried booting into windows, there were 4 different options for windows so I systematically went through them in an attempt to get into windows. However, on the 2nd one, it failed to boot, not even into the BIOS and ever since then I have been unable to get into the BIOS or any operation system! I hope I haven't done something stupid... I called ASUS support and they walked me through trouble shooting things, we came to the conclusion that both of my BIOS chips have gone bad, does this sound right? Anyway, unless you have a solution to this, I'm going to have to order new chips on Monday and then replace them to continue... 

Thanks for all your help, 

Leumas

IIIdefconIII

IIIdefconIII

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 123 posts

Thanks for the response and offer! I'm really grateful for your help! When I was experimenting with booting os's from the clover USB I tried booting into windows, there were 4 different options for windows so I systematically went through them in an attempt to get into windows. However, on the 2nd one, it failed to boot, not even into the BIOS and ever since then I have been unable to get into the BIOS or any operation system! I hope I haven't done something stupid... I called ASUS support and they walked me through trouble shooting things, we came to the conclusion that both of my BIOS chips have gone bad, does this sound right? Anyway, unless you have a solution to this, I'm going to have to order new chips on Monday and then replace them to continue... 

Thanks for all your help, 

Leumas

I have this sometimes while adding uefi too, it resolves when i disconnect the hdds, so bios cannot read bootloader anymore, then boot. Then shutdown, connect the windows hdd, then try again

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dual boot, osx, windows, efi, gpt, uefi, clover, acer s3, triple boot, linux

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy