Beginners guide to UEFI Triple/Dual boot OS X, Windows and Linux (Kali) on an single true-gpt ssd

155 posts in this topic

Thanks for the response and offer! I'm really grateful for your help! When I was experimenting with booting os's from the clover USB I tried booting into windows, there were 4 different options for windows so I systematically went through them in an attempt to get into windows. However, on the 2nd one, it failed to boot, not even into the BIOS and ever since then I have been unable to get into the BIOS or any operation system! I hope I haven't done something stupid... I called ASUS support and they walked me through trouble shooting things, we came to the conclusion that both of my BIOS chips have gone bad, does this sound right? Anyway, unless you have a solution to this, I'm going to have to order new chips on Monday and then replace them to continue... 

Thanks for all your help, 

Leumas

Thanks for the response and offer! I'm really grateful for your help! When I was experimenting with booting os's from the clover USB I tried booting into windows, there were 4 different options for windows so I systematically went through them in an attempt to get into windows. However, on the 2nd one, it failed to boot, not even into the BIOS and ever since then I have been unable to get into the BIOS or any operation system! I hope I haven't done something stupid... I called ASUS support and they walked me through trouble shooting things, we came to the conclusion that both of my BIOS chips have gone bad, does this sound right? Anyway, unless you have a solution to this, I'm going to have to order new chips on Monday and then replace them to continue... 

Thanks for all your help, 

Leumas

I have this sometimes while adding uefi too, it resolves when i disconnect the hdds, so bios cannot read bootloader anymore, then boot. Then shutdown, connect the windows hdd, then try again

@IIIdefconIII Can you tell me how to patch battery status or you have any text patch file? I have MSI Ge60- 2pe seem like gt 70 about battery. I have check the dsdt you attach but can not find the patch.

Sorry i didnt patch my dsdt myself.. you have custom applebatterykext?

• 4 weeks later...

I have this sometimes while adding uefi too, it resolves when i disconnect the hdds, so bios cannot read bootloader anymore, then boot. Then shutdown, connect the windows hdd, then try again

So first of all I want to thank you for all the help you have provided with this thread and earlier with my problems. Asus support is messed up! I just yesterday got my new bios chip, such a hassle.... So I installed it, and my computer still does the same thing, it will not boot into the bios or the operating system... I am seriously starting to freak out now because I can find nothing on the net to help me fix this problem! So I'd really appreciate it if you guys could give me some input, just let me know what specs or info you need, or I could just do a detailed post of everything that's happened.

Thanks so much, Leumas

So first of all I want to thank you for all the help you have provided with this thread and earlier with my problems. Asus support is messed up! I just yesterday got my new bios chip, such a hassle.... So I installed it, and my computer still does the same thing, it will not boot into the bios or the operating system... I am seriously starting to freak out now because I can find nothing on the net to help me fix this problem! So I'd really appreciate it if you guys could give me some input, just let me know what specs or info you need, or I could just do a detailed post of everything that's happened.

Thanks so much, Leumas

Strange srry cant help you further try make a youtube video instead and post it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I'm looking forward to building a mobile music hackintosh workstation based on 10.8 / 10.9. Does anyone know if this guide can be applied to the newer gt60 2qd dominator with nvidia 9xx, or can anyone address me to such a guide?

• 5 weeks later...

Hey IIIdefconIII,

Thanks for the excellent and informative guide and for sharing your files.

I've been lurking the forums for a long time, but this is the first Intel PC I've owned for a long while, so this is my first forray into the wild world of hackintoshes.

Unfortunately my hardware doesn't match yours. I'm on a GT72, rather than a GT70, but I was hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction for solving the error I'm getting.

Here's the error I get every time I get past the clover boot-loader:

JY4InAI.jpg?1

Any thoughts? I really appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Hey IIIdefconIII,

Thanks for the excellent and informative guide and for sharing your files.

I've been lurking the forums for a long time, but this is the first Intel PC I've owned for a long while, so this is my first forray into the wild world of hackintoshes.

Unfortunately my hardware doesn't match yours. I'm on a GT72, rather than a GT70, but I was hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction for solving the error I'm getting.

Here's the error I get every time I get past the clover boot-loader:

Any thoughts? I really appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

I would try to read the Clover guid, it has proberly something to do with the UEFI64DRIVERS folder from clover.

Try this from my original post:

1. Remove *.efi files from CLOVER/driver64EFUI and put you're OWN *.efi files here;

1. [HFSPlus.efi][OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi]

if this does not work if were going to install later, then

2. [HFSPlus.efi][OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi][OsxLowMemFixDrv-64.efi]

and then if this does not work then

3. [HFSPlus.efi][OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi][OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi] (with slide=0 in boot args in config.plist)

and if even this does not work, then try:

4. [HFSPlus.efi][OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi][OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi] (with slide=0 in boot args in config.plist), [EmuVariableUefi-64.efi]

• 3 months later...

Alright- WHAT?? I am experiencing the same issue as someone on page #3, where Kali does not show up in Clover. I installed GRUB to a USB to boot off of for now, but Clover refuses to boot Kali- and note I do not linux files in my EFI directory- though I tried copying grubx64 and booting off that (Clover would only detect it as "Linux" not "Linux Kernel All"

I saw you provided the user with a config file, I was going to inspect what you set in the GUI part of clover configurator, but to my surprise its a game config file- I expected it and confirmed this.

What??

What do I need to do to get Kali working? I installed it fine, but I can not find the appropriate files to boot from - or how to make Clover handle them properly.

Alright- WHAT?? I am experiencing the same issue as someone on page #3, where Kali does not show up in Clover. I installed GRUB to a USB to boot off of for now, but Clover refuses to boot Kali- and note I do not linux files in my EFI directory- though I tried copying grubx64 and booting off that (Clover would only detect it as "Linux" not "Linux Kernel All"

I saw you provided the user with a config file, I was going to inspect what you set in the GUI part of clover configurator, but to my surprise its a game config file- I expected it and confirmed this.

What??

What do I need to do to get Kali working? I installed it fine, but I can not find the appropriate files to boot from - or how to make Clover handle them properly.

which file are you reffering to exactly...

I made very amateur mistake! I was booting KALI installer as legacy! The initial guide was not clear that it is necessary to extract the EFI folder from Kali's /boot/efi.img file and place it in the root of the USB.

After this all is well, except that Clover needs to have grubx64.efi set to Linux, not LinuxKernel as the guide shows.

• 1 month later...

Hey buddy, were you able to get all USB2/USB3 ports working on El Capitan ? If so what changes did you make to the DSDT/Clover config.plist ?

On my build (GT70-2OD) i get all USB3 Working with my previous files from Mavericks/Yosemite, but nothing working on USB2.

Thanks.

Hey buddy, were you able to get all USB2/USB3 ports working on El Capitan ? If so what changes did you make to the DSDT/Clover config.plist ?

On my build (GT70-2OD) i get all USB3 Working with my previous files from Mavericks/Yosemite, but nothing working on USB2.

Thanks.

I stopped this project, :) to much everytime, to update patch bladibladiblaa, now i have windows + os x in vmware + linux in vmware :) much better to maintenance

• 5 months later...

I installed every thing but Kali linux doesn't show in clover boot menu.

How did you install it which partition? also uplload youre info.plist so i can take a look, n some cases we need to add the path manually

I installed it in separate partition also ubuntu is installed ubuntu is listed in clover boot options but kali linux is not listed i can access it only from bios.

attachicon.gifInfo.plist.zip

Did you create the installer like my guide? Maybe you installed it in non-uefi mode, mbr.. instead. i will take a look at youre info.plist now

please upload CLOVER/config.plist instead of info.plist (my bad)

It is installed in uefi mode. I have used the kexts suitable for my laptop.

attachicon.gifconfig.plist.zip

double check youre entries: take myne as example:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293574-beginners-guide-to-uefi-tripledual-boot-os-x-windows-and-linux-kali-on-an-single-true-gpt-ssd/page-1?do=findComment&comment=1968832

post #8

I didn't install windows, I uninstalled ubuntu but that didn't work too.

Edit: I installed VBoxExt4-64.efi driver and it worked

Edited by ThunderBolt_Mac

I didn't install windows, I uninstalled ubuntu but that didn't work too.

Edit: I installed VBoxExt4-64.efi driver and it worked

Great to hear you got it working!

• 2 weeks later...

I set my Hackintosh up following these instructions sometime ago and I was just wondering if anyone has done an Upgrade to Windows10 from an earlier version?

If I let Windows update itself from 7 to 10 I dont suppose there is any chance the installer is clever enough for that to 'just work' with all this funky UEFI stuff is there?

I set my Hackintosh up following these instructions sometime ago and I was just wondering if anyone has done an Upgrade to Windows10 from an earlier version?

If I let Windows update itself from 7 to 10 I dont suppose there is any chance the installer is clever enough for that to 'just work' with all this funky UEFI stuff is there?

Nope i didnt, but i do think windows will create its own partition correctly. But maybe you have to boot from clover usb again to add it as boot option. Make a image first with macrium reflect. So if anything goes wrong, you are able to revert it back easy. Good luck and let us know youre findings so we can write an post how to update and add it to Original Post