Beginners guide to UEFI Triple/Dual boot OS X, Windows and Linux (Kali) on an single true-gpt ssd

dual boot osx windows efi gpt uefi clover acer s3 triple boot linux

Best Answer frankiee, 01 December 2013 - 01:15 AM

Nice guide! So, would that also work with Windows 7? Have a 64bit pro version and at least in theory it should also be EFI bootable.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

Poll: Beginners guide to UEFI Triple/Dual boot OS X, Windows and Linux (Kali) on an single true-gpt ssd (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Did it worked for you?

1. Yes (18 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. No (6 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

yoga2

yoga2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks so much. Wonderful guide. Got triple boot working. Had a question. I want to switch out my hard drive for an equal size ssd. Can I use Macrium Reflect free edition?

Will it clone the drive including all partitions (HFS+,EFI, NTFS, EXT4 etc.) to the new drive?

Thanks

ctugt

ctugt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:pc, hackintosh, servers, soccer, xbox360, work

Thanks so much. Wonderful guide. Got triple boot working. Had a question. I want to switch out my hard drive for an equal size ssd. Can I use Macrium Reflect free edition?

Will it clone the drive including all partitions (HFS+,EFI, NTFS, EXT4 etc.) to the new drive?

Thanks

Not sure if this will work proberly not, harddisk has a other interface no chip only blocks, you may try but if  it was for me i definly suggest to start over on the ssd. This also cause windows defrag is on, and a ssd shouldnt be defragged. Nahh just start over to be safe

yoga2

yoga2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Not sure if this will work proberly not, harddisk has a other interface no chip only blocks, you may try but if  it was for me i definly suggest to start over on the ssd. This also cause windows defrag is on, and a ssd shouldnt be defragged. Nahh just start over to be safe

Thanks-  was hoping to avoid it since I got everything working just the way I wanted it Will take your advice and start over.

davidosullivan

davidosullivan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Great guide by the way, just about got this all working on my Dell l702x...

Main issue I have had that has caused me to start over a few times is making any changes whatsoever to the partitions once you have everything installed and working seems to really screw things up... anyway on my third try now and looking good!

So I'd really like to do a backup...i see you mention macrium reflect just wondering if you could give a bit more info on that process...

I want to create an image of the whole disk first of all and then create a clone disk I can swap out which will hopefully just boot...

Is the free version OK for this and can I do it from Windows or do I need to do it from the Macrium recovery disk... In which case should I make the Windows PE disk or the Linux one?

Sorry if these are basic questions just this has taken me days to get right and I really want to make sure I make a backup that will actually work! ;)

ctugt

ctugt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 75 posts

Great guide by the way, just about got this all working on my Dell l702x...

Main issue I have had that has caused me to start over a few times is making any changes whatsoever to the partitions once you have everything installed and working seems to really screw things up... anyway on my third try now and looking good!

So I'd really like to do a backup...i see you mention macrium reflect just wondering if you could give a bit more info on that process...

I want to create an image of the whole disk first of all and then create a clone disk I can swap out which will hopefully just boot...

Is the free version OK for this and can I do it from Windows or do I need to do it from the Macrium recovery disk... In which case should I make the Windows PE disk or the Linux one?

Sorry if these are basic questions just this has taken me days to get right and I really want to make sure I make a backup that will actually work! ;)

Hi, free version is ok, boot from usb is better not in windows, windows PR you should use. Ill update the post later in a hour from now thnx reflect is defintly the wat xd for recover boot from dvd or USB and select the image done

davidosullivan

davidosullivan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK so I did a image using Reflect of my osx/win disk and it took forever (about 3 hrs)... I thought it best not to use 'Intelligent Sector Copy' since it seems even the slightest change to any partition or the GPT can mess everything- so maybe that slowed things down... do you know if it's possible to use 'intelligent Sector Copy' or will this ruin the backup?

ctugt

ctugt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 75 posts

OK so I did a image using Reflect of my osx/win disk and it took forever (about 3 hrs)... I thought it best not to use 'Intelligent Sector Copy' since it seems even the slightest change to any partition or the GPT can mess everything- so maybe that slowed things down... do you know if it's possible to use 'intelligent Sector Copy' or will this ruin the backup?

No need to change any settings, just rewind whatever you did and try again

davidosullivan

davidosullivan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I read on he thread that the 555m will never work because of Optimus, So now I'm wondering what laptop I could get that has a powerful graphics card that would work. I see the top of the range Mac Book Pro switches between Intel Iris Pro and the nvidia 750m so what method of switching does that use and are there any PC laptops that work the same way that I could buy?

drywerk

drywerk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks for this guide, i've just installed UEFI dual boot OS X Yosemite & Windows 8.1 :)

Carstiman

Carstiman

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

hello, thx for your nice guide.

but i´ve got a problem with partition my 2 TB GPT hdd because more than 4 primär partition.

i need the Efi, OS X, Recovery, WIN 8, Recovery, Personal Data.

But behind the Win installation i don´t see all drives in windows, can´t repair windows and os x diskutility won´t work right.

got a running WIN 8 and OS X on an other hdd but don´t get it work with disk util or the windows one.

would gparted, from a Linux Live CD, do it right for OS X and Windows ?

help would be great

Edit:  did it, first 1 create one GPT partition on my Drive with disk utility. booted from gparted live and deleted the partition.

behind i created my other partition as wanted wirth geparted.

my prob right now is to create a WIN 8.1 bootable fat32 USB stick. i did it with WIN7 for now

NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
I keep getting the following error when booting the USB Installer.

Attached File  uploadfromtaptalk1402921219340.jpg   61.08KB   2 downloads

Does anybody know how to get past this?

ctugt

ctugt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 75 posts

I keep getting the following error when booting the USB Installer.

attachicon.gifDSC_0010.JPG

Does anybody know how to get past this?

Which notebook, if it isnt the acer s3 we cannot support here.

NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
It's the Samsung 540u3c. I was told by yourself on the 19/11/2013 that this guide would work with that laptop.

ctugt

ctugt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 75 posts

It's the Samsung 540u3c. I was told ages ago that this guide would work with that laptop.

I proberly wont, you need youre own DSDT. i think this DSDT of yours is faulty, create a new one ;)

eddmecha

eddmecha

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

hi i have a problem to get clover to work.i have 2 hdd for each os(1 hdd with osx maverick and another one with windows 8) my problem is i can't boot without usb stick.btw my laptop is asus A55VD i5-3210M.

ctugt

ctugt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 75 posts

hi i have a problem to get clover to work.i have 2 hdd for each os(1 hdd with osx maverick and another one with windows 8) my problem is i can't boot without usb stick.btw my laptop is asus A55VD i5-3210M.

Did you install clover to the proper partition after installing osx?

eddmecha

eddmecha

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Did you install clover to the proper partition after installing osx?

Well i install maverick using #####...but i tried to install clover to my usb n i get b1f:init6 error....so basicly i cant boot without usb,when go into bios i cant find my hdd and there is no dropdown selection for it either,

slemblod

slemblod

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Hi again ctugt, just thought I would drop my own guide here. It's based on some of the steps in this guide, but in greater detail. Thanks for the help on the way. Hopefully it may help someone in this thread.

http://www.insanelym...-gpt-dual-boot/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dual boot, osx, windows, efi, gpt, uefi, clover, acer s3, triple boot, linux

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy