my question... is SPDIF optical out only works when i use VLC passthrough, or XBMC as i'm told.
it is working as such, but when i select optical out from the sound pref pane, it is gray out and no volume control available
can it also work for system sounds/alert or even from iTunes/spotify?
Optical out works the same as the the other audio output devices with a couple of exceptions:
1. No volume control, use the receiver volume control.
2. Supports mono and stereo, iTunes, Safari, etc.
3. Supports XBMC/Plex 5.1 surround (DD and DTS). VLC passthrough is DD only.
4. Use Audio MIDI Setup to assign system alerts to Optical.
5. Can switch to/from Optical from/to any working audio output device with the keyboard.Go to the full post