10.9 Mavericks on Dell Precision M6400 (work in progerss)

fegato

85 posts in this topic

Did you manage to make speedstep and gpu power management working?

It doesn't work on mine...

SpeedStep is a work cho me with the Clover Bootloader. If you use of Chameleon, the me ko known following the new version Supported 10.10 did not. Have you choose the SMBIOS combined with CPU of Mac be will be

I have updated from 10.9 to 10.10 using  xBeast tools (no links as per forum policies), and am running with speedstep and gpu power management.
It took lot of reading and (as usual) gathering info from different sources.

I got speedstep working with the attached DSDT and SSDt and a MacBookPro5,2 smbios.plist (NullCpu disabled).
In order to have GPU power management working I had to patch my DSDT and rename all refernces to device AGP to IGPU, and all references to device VID to GFX0.
That got AppleGraphicsPowerManagement kext to load without complaints.
After that, I had to modify  /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist
in the MacBookPro5,2 section and change it to:

<key>MacBookPro5,2</key>
				<dict>
					<key>GFX0</key>
					<dict>
						<key>BoostPState</key>
						<array>
							<integer>0</integer>
							<integer>1</integer>
							<integer>2</integer>
							<integer>3</integer>
						</array>
						<key>BoostTime</key>
						<array>
							<integer>3</integer>
							<integer>3</integer>
							<integer>3</integer>
							<integer>3</integer>
						</array>
						<key>Heuristic</key>
						<dict>
							<key>ID</key>
							<integer>0</integer>
							<key>IdleInterval</key>
							<integer>100</integer>
							<key>SensorOption</key>
							<integer>1</integer>
							<key>SensorSampleRate</key>
							<integer>4</integer>
							<key>TargetCount</key>
							<integer>1</integer>
							<key>Threshold_High</key>
							<array>
								<integer>50</integer>
								<integer>100</integer>
								<integer>400</integer>
								<integer>400</integer>
							</array>
							<key>Threshold_Low</key>
							<array>
								<integer>40</integer>
								<integer>80</integer>
								<integer>400</integer>
								<integer>400</integer>
							</array>
						</dict>
						<key>control-id</key>
						<integer>17</integer>
					</dict>
					<key>IGPU</key>
					<dict>
						<key>BoostPState</key>
						<array>
							<integer>0</integer>
							<integer>1</integer>
							<integer>2</integer>
							<integer>3</integer>
						</array>
						<key>BoostTime</key>
						<array>
							<integer>3</integer>
							<integer>3</integer>
							<integer>3</integer>
							<integer>3</integer>
						</array>
						<key>Heuristic</key>
						<dict>
							<key>ID</key>
							<integer>0</integer>
							<key>IdleInterval</key>
							<integer>250</integer>
							<key>SensorSampleRate</key>
							<integer>4</integer>
							<key>TargetCount</key>
							<integer>5</integer>
							<key>Threshold_High</key>
							<array>
								<integer>300</integer>
								<integer>400</integer>
								<integer>400</integer>
								<integer>400</integer>
							</array>
							<key>Threshold_High_v</key>
							<array>
								<integer>300</integer>
								<integer>400</integer>
								<integer>400</integer>
								<integer>400</integer>
							</array>
							<key>Threshold_Low</key>
							<array>
								<integer>0</integer>
								<integer>87</integer>
								<integer>87</integer>
								<integer>87</integer>
							</array>
							<key>Threshold_Low_v</key>
							<array>
								<integer>0</integer>
								<integer>70</integer>
								<integer>85</integer>
								<integer>94</integer>
							</array>
						</dict>
						<key>control-id</key>
						<integer>16</integer>
					</dict>
					<key>LogControl</key>
					<integer>1</integer>
				</dict>

With these mods I am at last able to use the machine with a decent level of fan noise and at the same time have the graphic card power up when needed (verified with opengl extension viewer)

At the moment I am using VoodooHda for audio and would like to try AppleHDA only, but I'm stumped as to what the correct procedure would be.

DSDT.zip

Hi @madmatt thank you for sharing!!

do you have the nvidia quadro fx 3700m card as mine? Could you please post your machine's specs?

I was not able to run speedstep on Mavericks, could'nt reach desktop without nullcpupm.. Did you?

Currently I haven't had time to try with 10.10 yet, I'll let you know!

Thanks again!

System specs:
- Bios Rev. A10
- 3.06Ghz Core 2 Extreme (X9100) Processor
- 8Gb Memory (4 x 2Gb) DDR3 1066Mhz
- Intel 3945 Wireless (not used in Osx) in the WLAN slot
- Dell 1510 Wireless in the WWAN slot (using the WWAN antennas, got to love the precision design  :) )
- One 128GB  SSD for the OS, one 320GB Hard disk for /Users
- 1GB FX3700M

In order to be able to boot without nullcpupowermanagement I have to use the attached DSDT and SSDT files, and this smbios.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
        <string>AppleInc.</string>
        <key>SMbiosversion</key>
        <string>MBP53.88Z.00AC.B03.0906151647</string>
        <key>SMboardproduct</key>
        <string>Mac-F22587C8</string>
        <key>SMfamily</key>
        <string>MacBookPro</string>
        <key>SMmanufacturer</key>
        <string>AppleInc.</string>
        <key>SMproductname</key>
        <string>MacBookPro5,2</string>
        <key>SMserial</key>
        <string>W89213TF642</string>
	<key>SMUUID</key>
	<string>C0CE2600-93D7-3B41-843A-4D7C8E2C12E2</string>
</dict>

without the dsdt and/or the correct smbios.plist it hangs with a kernel panic.

I got it by trial and error, by putting NullCpu in /Extra/Extensions and booting alternatively wit DSDT=null -f (when I had panics with the DSDT and/or no NullCpu) and with DSDT=DSDT.aml DropSSDT=true when trying not to use Nullcpu.
My GPU specs: 

sh-3.2# nvclock -i
-- General info --
Card: 		G92 [Quadro FX 3700M]
Architecture: 	G92 A2
PCI id: 	0x061e
Subvendor id: 	0x1028
GPU clock: 	414.000 MHz
Bustype: 	PCI-Express

-- Shader info --
Clock: 1512.000 MHz
Stream units: 128 (11111111b)
ROP units: 16 (1111b)
-- Memory info --
Amount: 	1024 MB
Type: 		256 bit DDR3
Clock: 		300.856 MHz

-- PCI-Express info --
Current Rate: 	16X
Maximum rate: 	16X

-- Sensor info --
Sensor: G84 GPU Internal Sensor
GPU temperature: 55C

-- VideoBios information --
Version: 62.92.5a.00.04
Signon message: Dell Nike SKU NB9E-GLM3-A2 VGA BIOS
Performance level 0: gpu 275MHz/shader 550MHz/memory 301MHz/0.85V/100%
Performance level 1: gpu 383MHz/shader 767MHz/memory 301MHz/0.85V/100%
Performance level 2: gpu 550MHz/shader 1375MHz/memory 799MHz/1.00V/100%
VID mask: 3
Voltage level 0: 0.85V, VID: 1
Voltage level 1: 1.00V, VID: 0

and this is my org.chameleon.Boot.plist (I can't boot without dart=0) :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Boot Banner</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>DropSSDT</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GenerateCStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
        <key>EnableC2State</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>EnableC3State</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>EnableC4State</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
	<key>GeneratePStates</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>CSTUsingSystemIO</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>ForceHPET</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>1920x1200x32</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
	<key>Hide Partition</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
        <string>-v dart=0 kext-dev-mode=1</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
	<key>RestartFix</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>
  • Like 1

!tail
tail -f /var/log/system.log | grep AGP
Oct 30 15:04:28 Matt-Lion-M6400 kernel[0]: AGPM: updateGPUHwPstate(0, 0): fHwPstate = 1 fFB = 0xffffff8012d2d800
Oct 30 15:04:28 Matt-Lion-M6400 kernel[0]: AGPM: updateGPUHwPstate(): state = 0. Calling fFB->setAggressiveness()...
Oct 30 15:04:28 Matt-Lion-M6400 kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = GFX0 G-state set to 0 from 1, ControlID = 17. SW occupancy updated.
Oct 30 15:04:41 Matt-Lion-M6400 kernel[0]: AGPM: updateGPUHwPstate(1, 0): fHwPstate = 0 fFB = 0xffffff8012d2d800
Oct 30 15:04:41 Matt-Lion-M6400 kernel[0]: AGPM: updateGPUHwPstate(): state = 1. Calling fFB->setAggressiveness()...
Oct 30 15:04:41 Matt-Lion-M6400 kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = GFX0 G-state set to 1 from 0, ControlID = 17. SW occupancy updated.
this is an example of AGPM kicking in and raising clock/memory speeds when running a graphic intensive app (opengl viewer)

the result is opengl viewer going from around 300 to around 1200 in the benchmarks, and the fans kicking in after a while, but stepping down when finished ... as it should be opposite to the fans always on and no stepping down without AGPM or the fans always off and AGPM not kicking in when not configured with correct parameters

I want to report that I managed to update too to Yosemite.

using @madmatt method but mixing his org.chameleon.Boot.plist solution with my DSDT and smbios.plist probably because I have Qx9300 CPU and didn't work with his smbios

THANKS

now I'm trying to enable power management for my custom upgraded Quadro 5000m found on internet and hand hammered to fit in the fx3700m slot (not kidding B)) as is too hot..

I guess that I can do that by using your DSDT, SSDT and AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext mod

(question @madmatt: I have to use both SSDT in your zip?)

thank @madmatt for the enlightening report!

I think for AGPM you won't need my DSDT/SSDT combo, you'll have to patch /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist for sure and eventually your DSDT to make them agree on naming.

What SMproductname are you using in smbios.plist ?

Depending on that you'll need to patch your DSDT or simply modify an entry in the Info.plist of AGPM kext

Mattia

Oh I see. actually my smbios.plist is a MacPro 3.1, I also find out my DSDT was already patched as you posted before (AGP to IGPU )

did you solved for the audio?

I'm using an older AppleHDA.kext (the one working already with Mavericks) + HDAenabler and Enable HDMI audio flagged in chameleon boot (checked using chameleon wizard) and works very well

did you managed to update nvidia drivers?

Davide

You'll have to change the smbios to MacBookPro5,2, otherwise AGPM will never engage. (MacBookPro5,2 has the closest type of processor to the Q9300, as far as I can tell)

I don't think you can use my SSDT files as my processor model is slightly different (Q9100)

You'll have to dump them from linux by following this procedure:

EXTRACT YOUR SSDT WITH UBUNTU Live CD (this is what i did)

In Ubuntu open up terminal and enter the following commands:

cd /home/ubuntu/Desktop

sudo cat /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/SSDT > SSDT.aml

This will place the SSDT.aml on you desktop. Move this to a USB drive and then reboot into OSX.

Once you are in linux you'll be able to dump all SSDT* files (and also the unmodified DSDT)

then, after removing NullCpuPowerManagement and using my boot flags you should be able to boot and enable AGPM

Audio:

I'm using VoodooHDA, never connect audio to anything except headpones, so I never had the need for HDMI audio ...

NVIDIA drivers:

why should I update them, everything except sleep is working well on my rig ...

mmm.. the boot is correct but my screen remain black if I use your smbios.plist but i'm using my SSDT now..

feel like the problem is the quadro 5000: look like is working fine but I can't test it.. even HW monitor do not show it anymore.

but hey it seem to me that yosemite runs much cooler! (just my automatic screen dimmeri don't work, is always maxed, how's yours?)

I have the same behaviour (black screen) unless I boot with dart=0 .

Regarding the card not recognized, are you booting with graphicsenabler=yes?

What device is listed in dpcimanager (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dpcimanager/)?

I don't use the auto screendimmer,but the fn keys for setting the screen luminosity work flawlessly. The only button that isn't working is the power button

Hi everybody!

I have bought Dell M6400 (QX9100, 250 Gb 7200rpm, 8G RAM, FX2700, but my adapter only 130W) and I tried 10.10 on my laptop. And this is my step:

1/ I downloaded from this: http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/11232880/OS_X_Yosemite_10.10_(14A389)_bootable_USB_for_Intel_PCs. Follow instruction: use  ImagieWriter to write file RAW to USB (at least 8G) and I call 10.10 USB.

2/ And I downloaded all djouija's file, extract into 10.10 USB.

3/ Use USB to boot Dell M6400 , install 10.10 (change AHCI before).

4/ Downloaded the newest of Multibeat and use Multibeat to load djouija's DSDT on 10.10 USB, don't forget tick FakeSMC v6.11.1328 HWMonitor and NullCPUPowerManagemnet. 

5/ Follow djouija's instruction to fix audio, bluetooth, PS2, trackpad, cuda, iMessage,...

6/ Reboot. Done.

But my adapter only 130W so the Yosemite receive 1.2Ghz (not 3 Ghz). I will try using the new adapter 240W. I also replaced Wifi card with BCM94322HM8L (native kext)

It take me more an hour to finish. This is first time I install by myself. And I'm very gratefully djouija's instruction to help me. I found that this is the easiest to get 10.10 on M6400.

PS: I'm from Viet Nam and I'm not at good at English. Hope everyone could understand all my step.

Good luck.

did you solved for the audio?

I'm using an older AppleHDA.kext (the one working already with Mavericks) + HDAenabler and Enable HDMI audio flagged in chameleon boot (checked using chameleon wizard) and works very well

I had VoodooHda loaded, but I like things to look as clean as possible, so I started fiddling with AppleHDA.

In the end I had to:

1 - Download a patched hda from here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/188-applehda-for-dell-latitude-e6400-idt-92hd71b7/

2 - Edit Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist

and set LayoutID to 0

3 - Edit my dsdt and change the Audio section (renamed from AZAL to HDEF) to:

Device (HDEF)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)  // _ADR: Address
                Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
                {
                    Store (Package (0x04)
                        {
                            "layout-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                            }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                            Buffer (Zero) {}
                        }, Local0)
                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)
                }
            }

After these changes I have Speakers/Headphones/mic working using AppleHDA :)

post-471766-0-59670900-1415892942_thumb.png

Hey guys!

Thank you once again for sharing your infos. 

I'm currently on 10.10, finally booting without nullcpupm thanks to madmatt guide, so my machine's running correctly native cpu power management (aicpupm), and appleGPUPM.

One different thing I have noticed from using nullcpupm is that now hwmonitor reads the CPU and GPU (and thermal zone) temperatures around 14-18°C highest than before (currently Cpus at 51° & 50°, GPU at 54° and T.z. at 52° C, with nullcpupm all of them around 35°C).

I didn't include my ssdt file in /Extra folder yet since I don't currently have an ubuntu live cd. My question is: is this strictly required for speedstep? If so actually I shouldn't have it working... May I test that in some way?

Currently on my machine i have yet to fix:

• native hda audio (I'll try to patch applehda following madmatt guide) see below
  • native input kexts (I'll try to just remove voodooPS2 kexts since appleps2 are loaded too) see below
  • sleep works great but then I cannot wake up, I had the same issue with lion on my dell 1545 until I've got a great dsdt.aml file from mald0n (I didn't realize what actually fixed that, I'll post it if it could help in some way)
  • update to 10.10.1 but the software update cannot see it by now... see below

everything else seems to work fine!

:thumbsup_anim:

edit: @madmatt I didn't know about the patch for SSD, did you mean the "SSD chameleon optimizer" one? I'll try that too since my 10.10 partition is running on a SSD drive.

edit 2: successfully updated to 10.10.1: got a couple of black screens (the first one after boot, before login screen; the second one while surfing the web on google maps) and had to force shut down, so then I checked AppleGraphicPowerManagement kext and discovered it was replaced by the update. So re-applied the patch above from madmatt and now it seems to be ok again, let's see what happens...

edit 3: now running AppleHDA audio with DSDT patch by madmatt and the kext linked above. And finally I could remove all voodooPS2 kexts and keep ApplePS2 ones from myhack I've got with the previous Mavericks installation to be able to get internal keyboard and trackpad working.

• 2 months later...

Just to let you know: I have just successfully updated to 10.10.2: re-applied AGPM patch and replaced AppleHDA with the previous one as above and everything seems to be ok!

• 2 months later...

Could someone please re-link the m4600.zip file it seems to have been removed.  I've managed to get Mavericks booting and working almost 99% but I'm thinking that this way will be better and I'll learn a lot more in the process as well.  Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi!

I understand that the board had problems last mont and went offline for a while.

The administrator crew is still working to restore some of the features like the upload folder.

If you were looking to the m6400 zip by djouija try to download it from here

Good luck and please report your experience to the community!

UPDATE - I've just successfully updated to 10.10.3: re-applied AGPM patch and replaced AppleHDA with the previous one as above and everything seems to be ok. Installed Chameleon SSD optimizer from Alessandro Boschini and I was able to fix wake from sleep issue too (sat hibernate status to "0"). Anyway once wake my system lacked ethernet connectivity until reboot.

08/2015 UPDATE - Just to let you know that following the same steps as above I've successfully combo-updated to 10.10.5 with apparently no pain.

• 5 months later...

Ciao!

@fegato I hope that everything was fine with your attempt!

I'm wondering if 10.11 is worth the update on those machines.. Currently Yosemite's working pretty fine here. 

Let us know!