10.9 Mavericks on Dell Precision M6400 (work in progerss)

fegato

85 posts in this topic

THANKS @djouija for the awesome work! just follow post #4

_

old stuff:

Looks like today I'm lucky..

I just booted and I'm using osX 10.9 on my M6400: fine tuning now..

First of all I used MyHack solution 3.3 + the mbr patch for mavericks (still unsopported in myhack while writing)

I also put in extra my DSDT from a previous 10.6.8 osx install

booted with graphicsenabler=no and good old npci=0×2000 to avoid stuck on PCI Configuration begins

(truth is i modified org.chaemeleon.boot.plist with chameleon wizard and also set graphics mode to 1920x1200x32)

I had to remove all NVDA kext from extesions folder to make it bot as was hanging on a black screen suddenly.

however

I installed and the pc booted completely..

now I'm tryin' to fix other stuff 

working:

Checking now but almost everything to just use it

keyboard and touchpad (out of the box thanks to myHack)

WiFi (but I have a Atheros board that worked out-of-the-box)

audio (just used old Applehda and hdaenabler for IDT audio from SL)

Full Graphic Acceleration (kinda SOLVED using Maverick DP8 drivers found here)

bluetooth (kext used for snow leopard)

not working

Audio (I'll try with patched Applehda and hdaenabler for IDT audio)

full Graphic Acceleration (I dont know why.. the system detect it correctly both using DSDT or graphic enabler and everithing looks like is there but there are glitches in chess and topbar is not translucent)

SDHC reader

I'll make this first post better when I'll have more results

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to this awesome post, you have sparked my interest in getting Mavericks up and running on my M6400 again...

Will be following up here soon with a guide on how I got my machine 100% functional (including sleep, power management, speedstep, and more!)  Currently fixing some minor issues with sleep and battery, but will be posting here shortly... stay tuned!

• Like 1

As a man of my word, I am back to post my method to running Mavericks 10.9 on my Dell M6400.

All referenced materials are available as an attachment in this post.

I take no responsibility for any damages incurred while following this guide.  All files included worked flawlessly on my machine but may not necessarily work for yours.  

Note that with this configuration I have a fully functional 10.9 installation, including SpeedStep, Native Power Management, SLEEP w/Lid Support, Full QE/CI Acceleration, Ethernet, Sound w/Function Key support, SD Card Reader, Battery and Bluetooth Support!

Ensure you have Execute bit enabled in the BIOS and are in AHCI mode.  Note that my machine was running the most recent version of the M6400 BIOS available from DELL.  Also be aware that you will need to install a secondary wireless card into the M6400 which is OSX compatible as the stock one doesn't fit the bill.  The Broadcom BCM4321 Wireless N Mini PCIe is an excellent choice for native support out of the box, and eBay has plenty for less than $10.

1.  Download a copy of Mavericks 10.9 from the Apple store and install to USB key using _UniBeast from Tony Mac and select the "Enable Laptop Support" option.

2. [Optional]: If you need MBR support, apply the MBR Patch as outlined here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/145-mavericks-mbr-patch/  --  For my installation, I chose to go with using a GPT partition scheme (to keep things more vanilla :)) and this is realativly painless due to the M6400's dual drive bays!

After creating the installer, run this command in terminal replacing "installer volume name" by the name of your installer drive. If it contains spaces, surround the name by " or precede each space with \ (you can just drag and drop the drive to terminal when typing the command)
sudo tar zxvf ~/Downloads/Mavericks_GM_MBR_Patch.tar.gz -C /Volumes/"installer volume name"

If you download with Safari, it will automatically expand the gz, so the command should be
sudo tar xvf ~/Downloads/Mavericks_GM_MBR_Patch.tar -C /Volumes/"installer volume name"

3. Restart and boot into the installation USB and press tab to view the command line, and enter npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=No -v into the command line.  The installation should boot.  Note that it may take some time to get to the installation window, be patient :)  Once it does, open Disk Utility, create your partition, exit Disk Utility, and Install away!

4. Once installation completes, reboot the machine and boot from the USB installer key again, but select your new Mac OSX Installation this time, and boot using GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v and you should be able to boot into OSX and setup your account. 

5. Now download and install the latest Chameleon release from: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/59-chameleon-22-svn/
and install it to you Mac OSX Installation partition.

UPDATE: iMessage Fix:  If you get activation error when trying to sign into iMessage, install the latest Chameleon 2.2svn from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/59-chameleon-22-svn/ and click on the "Customize" button on the 'Installation Type' screen when installing, and select the 'File_NVRAM' option under the 'Modules' section, then complete the installation and reboot.  iMessages should be working!  :)

x0PFzVc.png

6. Download the attached "DELL_M6400_MAVERICKS.ZIP" file, extract the archive and copy/move the contents of the /Extensions folder from the attached to /System/Library/Extensions on your OSX Installation partition.

Note: If you are NOT using my attached DSDT and do NOT wish to use one, you need to install NullCPUPowerManagement.kext to /S/L/E and remove AppleLPCInjector.kext or you will get [no HPETs available] kernel panic.  If you are using your OWN DSDT, ensure you have applied the  proper LPCB and HPET dsdt injections (eventually to be included in this post below).

8. Copy/Move the contents of the /Extra folder from the attached "DELL_M6400_MAVERICKS.ZIP" file to /Extra on your OSX Installation partition.

9. Install the Rehabman VoodooPS2Daemon; See bottom of https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/wiki/How-to-Install  Note you can disable the trackpad on demand (after completing the remaining steps of this installation and rebooting) by double clicking in the top left corner of the trackpad to turn it on and off.

10. Download and install the "DellBluetoothHCI.1.2.pkg.zip" package from http://www.osx86.net/files/download/749-dell-wireless-365-370-410-bluetooth/

11. Download and run Kext Utility: http://www.osx86.net/files/file/3665-kext-utility-255-super-speed-edition/ and ignore Mavericks warning about kexts being from unidentified developers.

12. Follow the guide at http://www.gizmolabs.org/~ecronin/w/Main/OSXSetMac to automatically set or define your Ethernet cards MAC address on boot to fix issue/bug with Ethernet card getting 169.254.xxx.xxx IP address consistantly if no ethernet is connected upon boot. Note that you will need to replace "00:11:22:33:44:55" with your ethernet card MAC address.
(If you don't know your ethernet MAC address, just ensure the cable is plugged in and connected when you restart your computer and perform these steps later once you get it from System Preferences).

13. [OPTIONAL] Install NVIDIA CUDA for OSX here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-5.5.25-driver.html

14.  Restart your machine and enjoy!

I will update this post later with more information on where the extensions used were obtained and what patches were applied to my included DSDT file so that you can do the same to your own generated DSDT if you prefer.  I just wanted to share this as quickly as I could for now so that others may bask in the wonder of Mavericks on x86.  Hopefully the device IDs used in my DSDT are similar across all M6400 models. 

So far it's been a really stable setup :)  I will post any revisions and updates in the near future.

DELL_M6400_MAVERICKS.zip

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I have dell Precision m6400 too..but when I try to install Mavericks using niresh distro (I dont have any OSX before, that why I use niresh), igot this message :

"[PCI Configuration begins ]"

its just stuck on this display..

please help me..

thanks

sorry for my bad english

Hi, I have dell Precision m6400 too..but when I try to install Mavericks using niresh distro (I dont have any OSX before, that why I use niresh), igot this message : "[PCI Configuration begins ]"

This is a EXTREMELY COMMON problem: so common I'm sure if you just SEARCH even on google "PCI Configuration begins" you'll find the solution in many languages. So less "please help me" and more "search before" as this is a forum community, is obviously made for mutual help, but a little brain using can help to get helped more than begging.. Said so try to boot with npci=0×2000

This is a EXTREMELY COMMON problem: so common I'm sure if you just SEARCH even on google "PCI Configuration begins" you'll find the solution in many languages. So less "please help me" and more "search before" as this is a forum community, is obviously made for mutual help, but a little brain using can help to get helped more than begging.. Said so try to boot with npci=0×2000

I had try boot with npci=0x2000 option, but it still show message "[PCI Configuration begins ]" and installation proccess is stopped

npci=0x2000 and GrapicsEnabler=no

yes, I have try boot option npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnalbler=No, npci=0x3000, GraphicsEnabler=Yes, aand all its combination, but still, it stuck in PCI configuration begin..

this my Hadrware Spec :

dell precision m6400 :

Intel Core 2 Duo T9600

6gb memory

nvidia Quadro FX 2700M

2 HDD, 160gb@7200rpm in primary bay and 750gb in secondary bay

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi.. finally I success installed mavericks on my dell m6400..

but, I got another problem, when I shutdown my laptop, its not really power off, led indicator is still on..

anyone have same problem?

thanks

Make sure you either have NullCPUPowerManagement.kext installed or have the proper LCPB/HPET DSDT injections in place.  Also, try using ev0reboot or something along those lines to see if it helps resolve the problem.  Also try disconnecting any USB devices and see how that fairs.  Are you certain the indicator isn't for charging the battery? Are the fans still going then?  Do you have to hold down the power to actually turn off the machine?

• 4 weeks later...

Make sure you either have NullCPUPowerManagement.kext installed or have the proper LCPB/HPET DSDT injections in place.  Also, try using ev0reboot or something along those lines to see if it helps resolve the problem.  Also try disconnecting any USB devices and see how that fairs.  Are you certain the indicator isn't for charging the battery? Are the fans still going then?  Do you have to hold down the power to actually turn off the machine?

sorry for slow response..

finally mavericks work on my dell precision M6400, I install mavericks using myhack and using your DSDT sir..

thanks so much

• 1 month later...
Hi guys, I would like to join this topic since I'm now a m6400 owner as you can see in my signature.

Starting from my 1545 hackbook I've followed this guide and I would like to thank you all for letting me boot Mavericks.

However on my machine I've got now 2 installations within the two hard drives: the first one runs 10.9.3 installed (from 10.9.1 and then upgraded with system upgrade) using myHack and the second one running 10.9.1 from (uni) beast (instead of "easy beast" if I correctly understood at step 1) as described above by djouija, even if I had to boot the installer usb stick with GraphicsEnabler=Yes instead of what's recommended in the step 3. 

The first one boots from its chameleon svn2266, although I experienced random KP at boot. myHack.kext is included in S/L/E and contains NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, I think is loaded instead of the native one, in fact I cannot wake from sleep. I tried to remove myhack.kext and to add the ones provided here but I wasn't able to boot. 

The second one (from (uni?) beast) boots only from the usb stick's chameleon with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. There's no way to get the desktop with the v2.2 svn r2377 installed as described at step 5. Tried verbose boot and other flags combinations, but I cannot see no KP, it simply hangs at some point (which seems to be never the same).

I would prefer a native power management configuration, maybe using the dsdt provided by djouija, but I'm not sure why it's not working, maybe due to a different hardware setup?

Any other advise would be very appreciated

Thanks in advance for your time and for sharing your experience!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, some update from my m6400 Maverick installations experiments:

first of all I discovered my wlan card is a Broadcom BCM94312HMG and it's working fine just swapping the default IO80211Family.kext with this one patched with the right device id and from ML!!!

So currently I've got still 2x 10.9 installations working similarly fine: I just cannot wake from sleep from both.

On drive 0 

through myHack

booting from chameleon svn2266

or from last chamaleon svn release 

myHack.kext present and containing:

AppleACPIPS22Nub

ApplePS2Controller

ApplePS2Keyboard

ApplePS2Mouse

ApplePS2Trackpad

FakeSMC (v1111 (?))

lspcidrv

NullCPUPowerManagement

Patched_10.7_AppleRTC

I believe I'm using those applePS2 kexts and they are working nicely 

it boots also with AppleLPCInjector.kext and dsdt.aml from djouija. In this case the system's able to sleep but wakeup doesn't work. It seems to wake but the display remains off and the laptop seems not to respond to any input.

On drive 1

through  (uni) beast

booting from usb installation drive with chimera v2.2.1 r2248 with -f -v npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes

or from last chamaleon svn release on the drive, but only with NullCPUPM in E/E or S/L/E

dsdt.aml and kexts from djouija

Sleep is working but I cannot wake up as described above.

I hope to solve the wake issue than I'll keep just one of the two mavericks partitions..

Edit

I believe I can only boot both drives with NullCPUPowerManagement kext present.

tried many different dsdt solutions thanks to the olarila.com guys, but if I remove NullCPUPM the boot process hangs around "NVDAStartup: Official" or "No interval found for . Using 80000" or other VoodooPS2 stuff without KP.

Only with both dsdt,aml and NullCPUPM I've got sleep working fine, but then I cannot wake.

• 1 month later...

Well I've managed to get Mavericks installed and several devices working. Thanks to c0ke I have working wifi, even though it only seems to talk to open WiFi hotspots - won't connect to my home WPA2 router. The major hurdle I'm facing is getting QE/CI working. I've got native res, but I have no graphics acceleration with my ATI FirePro M7740. Supposedly this GPU uses the same chip as a Mobility Radeon HD 4860, but despite 'injecting' the device ID (94a31002) into ATIRadeonX2000.kext, AMD4600Controller.kext and AMD4800Controller.kext I still can't get graphics acceleration working. I've found mention of an 'exotic' kext here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/270-qe-ci-exotic-patch/

However, the tutorial is in French, which I don't speak. I'm also not familiar with the bootloader Clover (I've been away from the OSX86 scene for a while.) FWIW, I'm not using a custom DSDT, but am having no problems with shutdown or restart (haven't tried sleep yet, though.)

Anybody with this GPU have any luck getting it working? I do have an NVidia Quadro 2700M I can swap out, but swapping GPUs in the laptop is a major pain, and at least a little risky. The Firepro also has 1GB of RAM and is a lot faster.

PS Ignore my sig...I need to update it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I'm happy to know that my info has been useful. However I confirm that BCM94312HMG cards, being recognized with the kext described above, are only working with open wlan networks and with those WEP encrypted.

I think the issue is generated in some way by the system's connection management. 

I've bought a BCM94322HM8L replacement for a very few Euros on ebay and it works perfectly also with WPA and WPA2 encryption.

Meanwhile I upgraded my "drive 0" installation to 10.9.4 via software update without problem.

I'm still unable to wake from sleep but didn't try dsdt and native cpupm anymore.

@imrazor I'm sorry but I cannot help you because I have an Nvidia card on my M6400. However I have a fine working mob.radeon on my lion running dell 1545, maybe the crazybirdy's methods are still useable also with newer osx!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Greetings @MienSuongTrang, great job!

According to the pic you did a fresh install, isn't it?

Could you post your machine's specs, what's working and what is not?

And what method did you follow?

I'm currently on 10.9.4 and burned my ac adapter, so I'm waiting for a new one to come and then I'll try the upgrade too.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I do not use the distro (or error it whenever you want to update), I used Apple's app store, it is Vanila. If you have time I will share you how to make the soonest. My English is very bad, very inconvenient about this, I am a Vietnam

Everything works fine, you can use the old DSDT as from 10.9, the sound can even use the AppleHDA 10.6, if you can patch AppleHDA since 10:10 kext it will support much more than I thought as such, and do not have time to do this, I still use from 10.6. Things like mouse, sleep, increasing or decreasing light work. For a long time I did not use Chameleon, I used Clover Booloader, I could Hackintosh on my M6400 Mac OSX versions as you can see. Windows UEFI worked as a machine from windows vista 64bits to 8.1 

My Dell M6400 can run to 10.5.8 10:10. But I'm still with 10.8 hackintosh and it has not succeeded.

you can contact me via facebook: quamiensuongtrang 

If possible I will write GUI in Vietnamese, finished the translation and editing your back to help the community

3.tiff

• Like 1

I do not use the distro (or error it whenever you want to update), I used Apple's app store, it is Vanila. If you have time I will share you how to make the soonest. My English is very bad, very inconvenient about this, I am a Vietnam

Everything works fine, you can use the old DSDT as from 10.9, the sound can even use the AppleHDA 10.6, if you can patch AppleHDA since 10:10 kext it will support much more than I thought as such, and do not have time to do this, I still use from 10.6. Things like mouse, sleep, increasing or decreasing light work. For a long time I did not use Chameleon, I used Clover Booloader, I could Hackintosh on my M6400 Mac OSX versions as you can see. Windows UEFI worked as a machine from windows vista 64bits to 8.1 

My Dell M6400 can run to 10.5.8 10:10. But I'm still with 10.8 hackintosh and it has not succeeded.

you can contact me via facebook: quamiensuongtrang 

If possible I will write GUI in Vietnamese, finished the translation and editing your back to help the community

Did you manage to make speedstep and gpu power management working?

It doesn't work on mine...

Good news!

I managed to update from Mavericks to Yosemite on a backup drive too.

Currently I don't really know what's working and what's not, I'm still booting from the USB installation drive with chameleon.

I'll post any other detail as soon as possible with the upgrade procedure I've adopted.

stay tuned

post-193090-0-01805800-1414155878_thumb.jpg