Haswell early reboot, Mavericks, locked MSRs, and HP Envy 15-J063CL (i7-4700MQ)

RehabMan

469 posts in this topic

When using a Sandy Bridge smbios, be sure to use a Sandy Bridge SSDT (no plugin-type injection).

Thanks a lot for paying attention to my issue and for the kernel. Apparently it wasn't the only problem, so maybe my experience could help somebody.

1) 10.8.5 AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement was complaining to some of the P-States when using ssdtPRGen.sh (state 17 or 18, can't remember for sure, maybe bug in the script or AppleIntelCPUPM). SSDT generated by Clover works.

2) 10.9.0 AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement doesn't work

3) I was booting from an USB Flash which contained the MacBookPro8,3 smbios. With MacBookPro10,1 SandyBridge PM worked.

4) Last but not least, the resulting SSDT contained both the PM section by ssdtPRGen.sh and Clover. Either one of them should be disabled.

5) In order to get working Sleep/Hibernate, I had to use Clover's Halt Enabler.

• Like 1

And finally I managed to flash the PMpatched UEFI BIOS. With the same power management configuration, temperatures are about 5°C lower than RehabMan's kernel. Also, HWMonitor began to show decreased CPU frequency (most of the time 799 Mhz). CPU+Graphics+Memory controller power consumption is reported less than 12W now (I'm still using MacBookPro10,1 SMBios and going to try MacBookAir6,1/6,2 together with the new Power Management). For my CPU, I'd say it's better to update the BIOS rather than using an old 10.8.5 kext and custom mach_kernel — it gave me better CPU temperatures with no extra steps, and it will survive after the system update.

However I'm sure this kernel will be good enough for HP laptop users.

And finally I managed to flash the PMpatched UEFI BIOS. With the same power management configuration, temperatures are about 5°C lower than RehabMan's kernel. Also, HWMonitor began to show decreased CPU frequency (most of the time 799 Mhz). CPU+Graphics+Memory controller power consumption is reported less than 12W now (I'm still using MacBookPro10,1 SMBios and going to try MacBookAir6,1/6,2 together with the new Power Management). For my CPU, I'd say it's better to update the BIOS rather than using an old 10.8.5 kext and custom mach_kernel — it gave me better CPU temperatures with no extra steps, and it will survive after the system update.

However I'm sure this kernel will be good enough for HP laptop users.

Yes, if you have the option to flash a patched BIOS that is probably the best route because you'll get the intended Haswell power management. Many laptops however (this HP, for example), have RSA encrypted BIOS and flashing a modded BIOS is not a possibility.

Sounds good. Where can we find applicable information regarding bios patching etc?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285444-pmpatch-uefi-patching-utility/ this thread.

However some BIOSes are heavily protected (HP laptops), but you are likely to be able to patch the ASUS BIOS. The author is able to offer some risky options to flash "unflashable" BIOSes, too (if you're brave).

If someone is interested, after patching the BIOS, I was able to enable "normal" Haswell Mavericks power management (without AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement). CPU temperature is the same (50C).

For me, RehabMan's kernel + old AICPM was only a bit worse.

Hi RehabMan & fellow Haswell OSXers!

I was very happy to find this thread earlier as I didn't do any real research wrt OSX compat. when I bought my new laptop recently. This has affirmed that I do have a good chance off getting Mavericks installed on my System76 Gazelle Pro as it has almost identical specs to RehabMan's HP in every aspect but the wifi chipset. I'm not sure what chipset my laptop uses but seeing as it uses the same CPU, GPU and NIC I'd not be surprised if its the same.

I've done a few successful Hack installs before but only using distros. I have made a 10.9 install USB using myHack, replaced its kernel with RehabMan's and added a MBP8,3 SMBios into the /Extras dir. I can get the installer to start but it crashes right after choosing a language. It doesn't take down OSX, just the installer as I can still use the Disk Utiiity and Terminal etc after the crash. Here's the install error log:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/7388128

That means nothing to me but hopefully someone reading this can explain the easy way out without me having to start over using plain Chameleon and having to do all the post-install stuff manually, which I understand myHack should take care of a lot of it for me (if not get all my drivers working etc.).

Thanks for your help!

I got boot! After trying your suggestion with the InjectIntel-ig and the IntelAzulFB without success, I decided to install Chimera bootloader 2.2.1 and use IGPEnabler=Yes with GraphicsEnabler=No. One problem I face, is I still don't have QE/CI or any resolution adjustment. In fact, I had to use Graphics Mode to set it. The AppleIntel5000 Kext has loaded as does the FB and IOGraphics, but in the Graphics tab of System Info, shows "No Kext loaded," but the name says Intel 4600 Mobile. Any suggestions?

post-923358-0-24937300-1384048414_thumb.jpg

Hi RehabMan & fellow Haswell OSXers!

I was very happy to find this thread earlier as I didn't do any real research wrt OSX compat. when I bought my new laptop recently. This has affirmed that I do have a good chance off getting Mavericks installed on my System76 Gazelle Pro as it has almost identical specs to RehabMan's HP in every aspect but the wifi chipset. I'm not sure what chipset my laptop uses but seeing as it uses the same CPU, GPU and NIC I'd not be surprised if its the same.

I've done a few successful Hack installs before but only using distros. I have made a 10.9 install USB using myHack, replaced its kernel with RehabMan's and added a MBP8,3 SMBios into the /Extras dir. I can get the installer to start but it crashes right after choosing a language. It doesn't take down OSX, just the installer as I can still use the Disk Utiiity and Terminal etc after the crash. Here's the install error log:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/7388128

That means nothing to me but hopefully someone reading this can explain the easy way out without me having to start over using plain Chameleon and having to do all the post-install stuff manually, which I understand myHack should take care of a lot of it for me (if not get all my drivers working etc.).

Thanks for your help!

I always recommend a retail install.  It is the only way to know what you actually have...

I got boot! After trying your suggestion with the InjectIntel-ig and the IntelAzulFB without success, I decided to install Chimera bootloader 2.2.1 and use IGPEnabler=Yes with GraphicsEnabler=No. One problem I face, is I still don't have QE/CI or any resolution adjustment. In fact, I had to use Graphics Mode to set it. The AppleIntel5000 Kext has loaded as does the FB and IOGraphics, but in the Graphics tab of System Info, shows "No Kext loaded," but the name says Intel 4600 Mobile. Any suggestions?

If you have "No Kext Loaded" then the graphics drivers are not loading.  Make sure they are present in /S/L/E and you have the correct ig-platform-id set.

It looks like I may have just killed my brand new Gazelle Pro laptop that I got 3 days ago trying a vanilla Mavericks install! What's worse is I'll have to ship it back to the US from the UK and I expect they'll make me pay for at least half of the postage - hopefully not but I'd be surprised!

I followed this guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners-updated-for-mavericks/

To create a vanilla Mavericks install USB. I followed the first two parts to the letter with the two exceptions of not including the NullCPUPM kext (as I'd read in this thread not to) and I used the kernel from the OP instead of using the stock one. I used the MBP8,3 SMBios as recommended in the first post.

I was happy to see the installer get much further than myHack did in that it didn't crash after choosing the language. Install seemed to go fine until there was about 5m remaining which is when my computer started beeping. I did realise that this likely meant it was starting to overheat but I'd just spent 3 full days trying to get 10.9 to install and I was almost at the finish line so I thought I'd see if it could survive a few more minutes and it seems that was a fatal mistake as my laptop shut down with 2m left to go of the install and it will not turn back on now!

I think its prob. best that I be upfront with them and tell them exactly how it died and hope that installing OSX isn't cause for voiding my 1 year warranty. I've done 1000's of OS installs (of Linux and Windows) and I've never killed a machine before. Is this something that happens frequently with Hackintoshes?

:(

It looks like I may have just killed my brand new Gazelle Pro laptop that I got 3 days ago trying a vanilla Mavericks install! What's worse is I'll have to ship it back to the US from the UK and I expect they'll make me pay for at least half of the postage - hopefully not but I'd be surprised!

I followed this guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners-updated-for-mavericks/

To create a vanilla Mavericks install USB. I followed the first two parts to the letter with the two exceptions of not including the NullCPUPM kext (as I'd read in this thread not to) and I used the kernel from the OP instead of using the stock one. I used the MBP8,3 SMBios as recommended in the first post.

I was happy to see the installer get much further than myHack did in that it didn't crash after choosing the language. Install seemed to go fine until there was about 5m remaining which is when my computer started beeping. I did realise that this likely meant it was starting to overheat but I'd just spent 3 full days trying to get 10.9 to install and I was almost at the finish line so I thought I'd see if it could survive a few more minutes and it seems that was a fatal mistake as my laptop shut down with 2m left to go of the install and it will not turn back on now!

I think its prob. best that I be upfront with them and tell them exactly how it died and hope that installing OSX isn't cause for voiding my 1 year warranty. I've done 1000's of OS installs (of Linux and Windows) and I've never killed a machine before. Is this something that happens frequently with Hackintoshes?

:(

It is likely your laptop had hardware issues.  Bad heat sink.  Bad heat sink to CPU interface.  Bad heat pipe connection to heat sink.  Bad fan, etc...

Maybe, but I tested all the hardware under Ubuntu and Debian and all seemed well. It has been running Debian all day for the last few days (as I've been off work) without a hitch but its true that I hadn't got round to doing anything to really stress the CPU before this happened. However, surely installing an OS is only taxing the installation drive a bit. It shouldn't be a big stress on a (modern) CPU and I would've expected it would survive the 20/30m required to install OSX even if PM wasn't working correctly. Maybe not!

Hi bronxteck!

(I can't say I'm surprised you read these forums too)

Hopefully there is such a procedure as I'll be without it for a few weeks (at least?) if it needs to go back to the US. I couldn't see any mobo manuals or details on their site, I don't know what sort of MB or chipset it uses and nor do I want to bust it open to find out in case I invalidate the warranty. I've just written to them now but I don't expect I'll get a reply until tomorrow as its weekend. When I get it resolved I'll update these threads.

Thanks for your help!

I was wondering if the InjectIntel-ig would work with GraphicsEnabler=No and IGPEnabler=Yes? Also from following the Chimera boot flag commands, they use IGPlatformID which is apparently like the injected value but with your device id and port configuration, do you suggest leaving their IGPlatformID out and using the InjectedIntel one? Lastly and correct me if I'm wrong, but if I use the InjectIntel-ig command, does that automatically change to the appropriate IntelAzulFB value or do you have to define both? Thanks so much for the help.

Maybe, but I tested all the hardware under Ubuntu and Debian and all seemed well. It has been running Debian all day for the last few days (as I've been off work) without a hitch but its true that I hadn't got round to doing anything to really stress the CPU before this happened. However, surely installing an OS is only taxing the installation drive a bit. It shouldn't be a big stress on a (modern) CPU and I would've expected it would survive the 20/30m required to install OSX even if PM wasn't working correctly. Maybe not!

For the duration of the OS X install you are running without power management due to the use of NullCPUPowerManagement. This could stress a non-working or weak cooling system.

I was wondering if the InjectIntel-ig would work with GraphicsEnabler=No and IGPEnabler=Yes? Also from following the Chimera boot flag commands, they use IGPlatformID which is apparently like the injected value but with your device id and port configuration, do you suggest leaving their IGPlatformID out and using the InjectedIntel one? Lastly and correct me if I'm wrong, but if I use the InjectIntel-ig command, does that automatically change to the appropriate IntelAzulFB value or do you have to define both? Thanks so much for the help.

Which bootflags you use for injecting the ig-platform-id depend on the bootloader you're using.

Yeah I figured as much as Chimera only mentions IGPlatformID opposed to the InjectIntel-ig command. The reason why I post is that I have been trying to use the inject code "00001604" and "02001604" which is my device id for my Intel 4600 and since that doesn't work, I tried the IGPlatformID with Chimera and still it didn't work when used the way they suggest. If I switch back to Chameleon 2266, what other commands do you suggest besides GraphicsEnabler=No, IGPEnabler=Yes and the InjectIntel-ig?

First, I owe rehabman an apology for not following his instructions properly! For my first attempt at doing a vanilla install, I didn't use the patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement so that probably explains why my laptop went into a coma. Let this be a warning to any future Haswell hackintoshers!

I had left my brand new and presumed dead Haswell laptop unplugged for about 24 hours earlier after I had pretty much told System76 I was going to have to return it for repair but before boxing it back up I thought I'd have one last try and was delighted to see the LEDs light up when I inserted the PSU! I tried the power button and, lucky me, its back from the dead for more Hackintosh-related antics!

After having replaced the official AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement with the patched 10.8.5 one, I was able to install Mavericks without any beeeping, computer comas or even a single boot flag. Amazingly, install 'just works' now so it was an unexpected disappointment that the HD install doesn't boot - even after replacing the kernel with the same one used to install (Rehab's). I have attached a screenshot of where my the booting of my HD install stalls. It looks like the drive is being mounted read-only, which doesn't sound right, although maybe thats not the problem here? I've tried fixing the permissions and verifying the drive but its not helped.

The other issue I'm having now is my laptops integrated keyboard and trackpad aren't working. Bronxteck has already given me a link to a Elan pad driver (which I've not tried yet) but I'm more concerned about the keyboard. So far I've just tried Rehab's latest VoodooPS2 kext which claims to support Mavericks (and yes, I did read his (voodooPS2) instruction this time!) but that failed to get my keyboard to work. Are there any other kexts out there that may get my AT laptop keyboard working with Mavericks? I used a bluetooth one to install with but I wouldn't want to have to use that or an external USB one all the time.

Thanks!

http://imgur.com/d3gkfiA

Yeah I figured as much as Chimera only mentions IGPlatformID opposed to the InjectIntel-ig command. The reason why I post is that I have been trying to use the inject code "00001604" and "02001604" which is my device id for my Intel 4600 and since that doesn't work, I tried the IGPlatformID with Chimera and still it didn't work when used the way they suggest. If I switch back to Chameleon 2266, what other commands do you suggest besides GraphicsEnabler=No, IGPEnabler=Yes and the InjectIntel-ig?

Refer to this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/288241-intel-hd4000-and-haswell-inject-aaplig-platform-id/

First, I owe rehabman an apology for not following his instructions properly! For my first attempt at doing a vanilla install, I didn't use the patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement so that probably explains why my laptop went into a coma. Let this be a warning to any future Haswell hackintoshers!

I had left my brand new and presumed dead Haswell laptop unplugged for about 24 hours earlier after I had pretty much told System76 I was going to have to return it for repair but before boxing it back up I thought I'd have one last try and was delighted to see the LEDs light up when I inserted the PSU! I tried the power button and, lucky me, its back from the dead for more Hackintosh-related antics!

After having replaced the official AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement with the patched 10.8.5 one, I was able to install Mavericks without any beeeping, computer comas or even a single boot flag. Amazingly, install 'just works' now so it was an unexpected disappointment that the HD install doesn't boot - even after replacing the kernel with the same one used to install (Rehab's). I have attached a screenshot of where my the booting of my HD install stalls. It looks like the drive is being mounted read-only, which doesn't sound right, although maybe thats not the problem here? I've tried fixing the permissions and verifying the drive but its not helped.

The other issue I'm having now is my laptops integrated keyboard and trackpad aren't working. Bronxteck has already given me a link to a Elan pad driver (which I've not tried yet) but I'm more concerned about the keyboard. So far I've just tried Rehab's latest VoodooPS2 kext which claims to support Mavericks (and yes, I did read his (voodooPS2) instruction this time!) but that failed to get my keyboard to work. Are there any other kexts out there that may get my AT laptop keyboard working with Mavericks? I used a bluetooth one to install with but I wouldn't want to have to use that or an external USB one all the time.

Thanks!

http://imgur.com/d3gkfiA

Your problem is graphics related. Make sure you're injecting the right ig-platfrom-id. See post #69 for a link.

I finally got the graphics to give me full resolution and in one instance had full QE/CI with IntelAzulFB=7 and HDMI, but after reboot, I just got a white screen for a split second then the black screen with the cursor. If I use value 9, I just get a complete white screen with the mouse cursor and if it boots, I get complete corruption when opening up Finder. Value 10 gives me all corruption but also HDMI. Any suggestions? I went back to Chameleon and this is the furthest I have come. BTW when I used the Graphics Mode command, that is when I get boot with value 9, but the corruption, when it wasn't set, I got QE/CI that one boot.

I finally got the graphics to give me full resolution and in one instance had full QE/CI with IntelAzulFB=7 and HDMI, but after reboot, I just got a white screen for a split second then the black screen with the cursor. If I use value 9, I just get a complete white screen with the mouse cursor and if it boots, I get complete corruption when opening up Finder. Value 10 gives me all corruption but also HDMI. Any suggestions? I went back to Chameleon and this is the furthest I have come. BTW when I used the Graphics Mode command, that is when I get boot with value 9, but the corruption, when it wasn't set, I got QE/CI that one boot.

I suggest you open a separate thread for your graphics issue. It is off-topic.

Hi...

does someone knows if I can have good result with this kernel on a asrock h87m pro4?

instead patch bios...

thanks

c.frio

If you have the hardware, why don't you try and tell us?

Hi rehabman!

Thanks for looking at my errors, but I don't understand how you deduced its a graphics-related issue as I don't see anything in that screenshot that looks like it relates to GFX. Of course, its just text in that image as I used -v but if I don't I use -v I at least see the Apple logo when I boot off my 10.9 HD install. I presuming it must be because my boot has stalled at the point when the gfx drivers would normally get loaded?

I have so far tried booting with GraphicsEnabler=Yes combined with IntelAzulFB and values from 0-9 but none of the AzulFB values I've tried so far have made any difference whatsoever - boot still stalls at the same point.

As nice as it would be to have QE and GL working, I'd be happy enough with just unaccelerated ('VESA') gfx as this seems to work fine when I boot off USB so it makes no sense that I can't even get a basic graphical display as soon as I boot off HD? Its exactly the same OS! Is there some relatively easy way to discover and replicate the settings used when booting from USB?

It'd be great if you could update the first post with a few more details on how you got (fully) functional GFX (and everything else) to work, making note if you had to use any patches or boot arguments etc. I'm presuming you used your voodoops2 kext to get your keyboard working?