Haswell early reboot, Mavericks, locked MSRs, and HP Envy 15-J063CL (i7-4700MQ)

mavericks kernel mach_kernel locked MSR reboot power management

• Please log in to reply
446 replies to this topic

ameris_cyning

ameris_cyning

I don't know what to write here

• Donators
  • 956 posts
  • Interests:OSx86, female anatomy, electronic music, Clover EFI

No. See post #1.

I am not understanding your post

I am already using a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Its giving me a KP

Edited by ameris_cyning, 04 November 2013 - 09:08 PM.

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,278 posts
  • Interests:skiing, software, classic cars

I am not understanding your post

I am already using a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Its giving me a KP

Just saying "I'm getting a KP" is meaningless. Without a photo, I can't give you any ideas. There are other reasons AICPUPM will KP besides MSR lock (bad SSDT, duplicate pstate info, Processor objects missing in DSDT, etc.)

ameris_cyning

ameris_cyning

• Donators
  • 956 posts

Attached File  IMG_0045-private.JPG   186.24KB   30 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0047-private.JPG   167.53KB   22 downloads

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,278 posts

attachicon.gifIMG_0045-private.JPG
attachicon.gifIMG_0047-private.JPG

You are not crashing in AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

You are crashing in AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext. That is Pike's replacement for MSRDumper.kext. I suggest you remove it.

ameris_cyning

ameris_cyning

• Donators
  • 956 posts

You are not crashing in AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

You are crashing in AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext. That is Pike's replacement for MSRDumper.kext. I suggest you remove it.

I feel like a {censored} moron

You are right.

It works perfect

Damn do I feel like a {censored} fool

HOLY {censored}

My temps were at 90+ Celsius

And that was idling

I was using a iMac14,2 SMBios

EDIT 3

iMac SMBIOS's only generated one state, 8

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,278 posts

My temps were at 90+ Celsius

And that was idling

I was using a iMac14,2 SMBios

Better now, I suppose...

ameris_cyning

ameris_cyning

• Donators
  • 956 posts

Better now, I suppose...

I had to disable it

Good work on it, but it raises temps too much for me.

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,278 posts

I had to disable it

Good work on it, but it raises temps too much for me.

Disable what? What were your observed pstates?

FYI: MacBookPro8,1 results in better pstate utilization.

ameris_cyning

ameris_cyning

• Donators
  • 956 posts

Disable what? What were your observed pstates?

FYI: MacBookPro8,1 results in better pstate utilization.

I didn't capture it before I rebooted, but I definitely had a LOT of states. 

I tried MacBookPro8,1, but for some strange reason, it doesn't load ApplePolicyControl.kext, meaning I can't use flash within Safari.

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

10.9 kernel built from Apple's sources is provided below:

I was able to install Mavericks after I made a stick using clover files from this thread:

http://www.insanelym...ll-mlmavericks/

I also extracted the AppleIntel...,kext from 10.8.5 and also found the patch.  I copied this kext and others from the thread above into the appropriate places by taking the laptop hard drive out of the laptop by attaching it to a old Macbook.  

This is a question I can't seem to find the answer on by googling for some reason, but how do I fix permissions on the S/L/E directory and the kexts inside that directory when the disc is mounted on a "real" Mac?  I'm getting a bunch of access denied errors right off the bat.

Is it as simple as running:

sudo chmod -YYY /Volumes/MacOSX/System/Library/Extensions/XXX

It's been about a year since I've messed with Clover, etc., so everything is a bit rusty.  Thanks.

ameris_cyning

ameris_cyning

• Donators
  • 956 posts

update:

Used a patched 10.8.5 AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and the temps are normal

Currently on MacPro3,1 SMBios

11/4/13, 8:13:21 PM, P States: 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 34, 37

MacBookPro8,1 SMBios

11/4/13, 8:17:52 PM, P States: 8, 15, 22, 30, 34, 37

EDIT

iMac SMBios's only generate one PState: 8. Along with this, it stays at 8, effectively slowing the system

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,278 posts

I was able to install Mavericks after I made a stick using clover files from this thread:

http://www.insanelym...ll-mlmavericks/

I also extracted the AppleIntel...,kext from 10.8.5 and also found the patch.  I copied this kext and others from the thread above into the appropriate places by taking the laptop hard drive out of the laptop by attaching it to a old Macbook.  

This is a question I can't seem to find the answer on by googling for some reason, but how do I fix permissions on the S/L/E directory and the kexts inside that directory when the disc is mounted on a "real" Mac?  I'm getting a bunch of access denied errors right off the bat.

Is it as simple as running:

sudo chmod -YYY /Volumes/MacOSX/System/Library/Extensions/XXX
It's been about a year since I've messed with Clover, etc., so everything is a bit rusty.  Thanks.

Why not just fix permissions using Disk Utility from within the OS X installer?
  • cyf likes this

ameris_cyning

ameris_cyning

• Donators
  • 956 posts

Holy {censored}

My temps are down 10 degrees (in C)

Thats huge!

MacPro3,1 is the best SMBios I have found

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,278 posts

update:

Used a patched 10.8.5 AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and the temps are normal

Currently on MacPro3,1 SMBios

11/4/13, 8:13:21 PM, P States: 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 34, 37

MacBookPro8,1 SMBios

11/4/13, 8:17:52 PM, P States: 8, 15, 22, 30, 34, 37

I'll have to try that and see if I notice any difference (but not really working on this laptop right now... I've got a few other things to do).

Problem with MacPro3,1 is no AirPlay.

EDIT

iMac SMBios's only generate one PState: 8. Along with this, it stays at 8, effectively slowing the system

That would happen if you have an incorrect SSDT for iMac14,2 (maybe). In the case of iMac14,2 you need to inject plugin-type. Or, more likely, you didn't have the correct board-id. The board-id must match the plist for iMac14,2 in IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/X68PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/* This is tricky stuff and everything has to line up. But don't bother with iMac14,2. The others are better.

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:>An error has occurred and your computer will spontanously combust to prevent further damage...
Wow! You've got quite a bit of traffic on this thread already. A day or so ago when I last checked it, there was no replies at all. >_>

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Why not just fix permissions using Disk Utility from within the OS X installer?

Duh...  Booted up from stick with installer and then ran that.  Seems to have fixed that problem.

Now I get an error related to AppleACPIPlatformExpert.

Did I forget to remove a text?  Am I using the wrong plist?  I am using the one from the other thread (the 17 inch started by gygabyte666) even though I have the j063cl, but wanted to just get it to boot first before changing/customizing it.

Enclosed is my config.plist and dsdt.aml that using now.

You think you can upload your config.plist and dsdt,aml?  Are you just using Clover without a custom DSDT?

Amazing how fast you forget this stuff when you haven't messed with it for a while.

Attached Files

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,278 posts

Duh...  Booted up from stick with installer and then ran that.  Seems to have fixed that problem.

Now I get an error related to AppleACPIPlatformExpert.

Did I forget to remove a text?  Am I using the wrong plist?  I am using the one from the other thread (the 17 inch started by gygabyte666) even though I have the j063cl, but wanted to just get it to boot first before changing/customizing it.

Enclosed is my config.plist and dsdt.aml that using now.

You think you can upload your config.plist and dsdt,aml?  Are you just using Clover without a custom DSDT?

Amazing how fast you forget this stuff when you haven't messed with it for a while.

Although I plan to, I haven't tried Clover with this machine yet. I'm just getting my feet wet with Clover using it on a HP ProBook 4540s (since it is known to work well). Those symbols *are* defined in my kernel, so I don't know AppleACPIPlatform is unable to find them:
Speedy-ML:RELEASE_X86_64 Admin$ nm mach_kernel |grep -y _kdebug_enable
ffffff80008ecf88 S _kdebug_enable
ffffff80008d2790 S _save_kdebug_enable
Speedy-ML:RELEASE_X86_64 Admin$ nm mach_kernel |grep -y _kernel_debug
ffffff80005a5570 T _kernel_debug
ffffff80005a5a00 T _kernel_debug1
ffffff80005a4e70 T _kernel_debug_enter
ffffff80005a50f0 T _kernel_debug_internal
ffffff80005a4d40 T _kernel_debug_register_callback
My bootloader is Chameleon using custom DSDT/SSDT and smbios as described in post#1.

Andrw0380

Andrw0380

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Hello. I currently have an HP j070 with an i7 4700MQ, a Intel 4600 and Nvidia 740M and I was wondering how you got your system to boot after you installed OSX Maverick? I used the following to get where I was:

1. Since I didn't have a system running OSX, I used Virtualbox to make a bootable USB to install Maverick by using #####. I then tried to boot with it, but automatically got a reboot, which was only fixed when I used your mach_kernel and told the org.chameleon.boot.plist to boot from mach_kernel.

2. Once I installed Mac OS X on a different USB, I encountered the same issue as before, but doing the same things as before, would result in an automatic reboot. In this case, I used MyHack from within the Virtualbox environment to install Chameleon and the Extra folder and that fixed the automatic reboot, but now I can't boot at all.

3. It is freezing on the IOBluetoothController where it says that the transport was loaded successfully, but removing that and the graphics kexts, didn't help. The only time I ever got a boot, was booting in safe mode and lastly, removing some kexts in /System/Library/Extensions and using Virtualbox's Kext Wizard to "repair" the cache, but once I fully repair from within OSX, I get the same problem.

I was wondering if you don't mind suggesting what I should do to try and get boot because I tried lots of different kernel flags to try and boot normally and nothing has worked? I do have a solid state drive now which I use to boot Windows and my BIOS settings include Virtualization off and UEFI disabled. If you need more info, I'll be glad to provide.

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Although I plan to, I haven't tried Clover with this machine yet. I'm just getting my feet wet with Clover using it on a HP ProBook 4540s (since it is known to work well). Those symbols *are* defined in my kernel, so I don't know AppleACPIPlatform is unable to find them:

Speedy-ML:RELEASE_X86_64 Admin$ nm mach_kernel |grep -y _kdebug_enable
ffffff80008ecf88 S _kdebug_enable
ffffff80008d2790 S _save_kdebug_enable
Speedy-ML:RELEASE_X86_64 Admin$ nm mach_kernel |grep -y _kernel_debug
ffffff80005a5570 T _kernel_debug
ffffff80005a5a00 T _kernel_debug1
ffffff80005a4e70 T _kernel_debug_enter
ffffff80005a50f0 T _kernel_debug_internal
ffffff80005a4d40 T _kernel_debug_register_callback
My bootloader is Chameleon using custom DSDT/SSDT and smbios as described in post#1.

Ahh, yes, you didn't explicitly mention it, but now that I read your post again, it makes sense as I remember the parameters.

I'm going to try and mess around with settings and see if it changes anything.

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,278 posts

Hello. I currently have an HP j070 with an i7 4700MQ, a Intel 4600 and Nvidia 740M and I was wondering how you got your system to boot after you installed OSX Maverick? I used the following to get where I was:

1. Since I didn't have a system running OSX, I used Virtualbox to make a bootable USB to install Maverick by using #####. I then tried to boot with it, but automatically got a reboot, which was only fixed when I used your mach_kernel and told the org.chameleon.boot.plist to boot from mach_kernel.

2. Once I installed Mac OS X on a different USB, I encountered the same issue as before, but doing the same things as before, would result in an automatic reboot. In this case, I used MyHack from within the Virtualbox environment to install Chameleon and the Extra folder and that fixed the automatic reboot, but now I can't boot at all.

3. It is freezing on the IOBluetoothController where it says that the transport was loaded successfully, but removing that and the graphics kexts, didn't help. The only time I ever got a boot, was booting in safe mode and lastly, removing some kexts in /System/Library/Extensions and using Virtualbox's Kext Wizard to "repair" the cache, but once I fully repair from within OSX, I get the same problem.

I was wondering if you don't mind suggesting what I should do to try and get boot because I tried lots of different kernel flags to try and boot normally and nothing has worked? I do have a solid state drive now which I use to boot Windows and my BIOS settings include Virtualization off and UEFI disabled. If you need more info, I'll be glad to provide.

If you're getting to the point of bluetooth logs, then you are actually successful in booting but have a graphics problem. Use the appropriate ig-platform-id injection flags to find what platform-id your system wants. For example with this one here, it is 0a260006, which is IntelAzulFB=12 in Chameleon. Other bootloader mechanisms vary.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mavericks, kernel, mach_kernel, locked MSR, reboot, power management

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy