Marvell 88e8056 asus p5e3 problem

johnrock

26 posts in this topic

o guys!Thanks for the kext,but i have a problem ,if you can help i'll be grateful.I have OS X Mavericks installed with myhack..installation worked fine no problems,etc...it is mostly vanilla.the only thing bothering me is that i can't get ethernet to work.After installing this kext,i can only boot if i set the bios to disable ethernet,otherwise i get a kernel panic.I have tried booting with the 0x3000 option but that does t work either.My motherboard is asus p5e3.Luckily,i was able to install the standard ionetworking back.The weird thing is that :the first time i installed mavericks,the kext worked without problems but after a reboot it didn t work.I thought it isn t supported by mavericks so i went back to mountain lion but i found out that the kext the kext i used does t work anymore....Please,can you help me?I am now on mavericks again and as i told you something that worked the first time doesnt work anymore :?????i tried every kext under the sun

You mention "this kext", but you don't tell us what kext that is.

I have Marvell 88e8056 ethernet.  I use the vanilla ethernet kext (IONetworkingFamily.kext) along with a special injector kext that injects the id for 88e8056.  I've used it for a long time and it has worked on Lion, ML and Mavericks.

Just install the injector kext to /S/L/E

88E8056 Injector.zip

• Like 1

Hello rlf .Than you very much for taking time to answer.I have already tried this one,but it causes my system to be unable to boot unless i disable ethernet in bios.Here is a list of kexts i tried : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/35-marvell-yukon-88e8056-108-1085/ ,all the kexts on this website plus injectors.To understand why i find this situation so odd:previously i had ml and it worked perfectly.after this i installed mavericks and did the same thing - it worked.After i rebooted the system hanged at boot screen and i couldnt boot with -v -x or anything like this.I went back to mountain lion thinking the kext wasn t compatible and.........It didn t work there anymore either ...:(.Thanks again.

now i am on mavericks and every kext/injector kext i install (ionetworking/appleyukon2injector etc) causes my system to hang at boot if i don t disable ethernet.I have repaired permissions and all that stuff.I repaired them both with kext utility and manually via terminal.When i repaired them from terminal and updated system caches it said something like -ionetworking.kext not valid- omitting

Hello guys! do you think that since the patched ionet kext worked the first time i installed mavericks and previously with mountain lion and now it doesn t work with any of them,i might be doing sth wrong?I formated thd hd and installed clean....PS:for some further inf when i first installed mavericks,i had leopard on another hdd,do you think it s possible they didn t get along?This thing is driving me mad,i have constantly trie to make it work around 3 hours a day this week...

You are doing something to the kexts that you install that causes problems with the kextcache.  You even said this before which is an error that should have been fixed:

and updated system caches it said something like -ionetworking.kext not valid- omitting

If I were you, I would start with a fresh installation of Mavericks.  Use Kext Wizard http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/253395-kext-wizard-easy-to-use-kext-installer-and-more/ to install only kexts you absolutely have to have like FakeSMC.kext and maybe NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Then install the injector kext I provided into /S/L/E (not /E/E) using Kext Wizard.

Reboot.  Test your ethernet.

If it works, add any other kexts you may need, using Kext Wizard to install.

Thanks again,rlf.I m gonna try it and see what happens.BTW,myhack installs other extra kexts like appleps2mouse,ispcidrv.I have to remove them after install,right.Till now i installed kexts with kext helper or [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].Does it make any difference.I would really like to know why the same install worked before and now it doesnt..,

Hello rlf,I did exactly as you told me,I installed mavericks fresh and then used kextwizard to install the injector you gave me.Same thing,freezes at boot and can only boot if i disable ethernet....bump

should lan boot rom be active in bios?

This might be an issue with Mavericks requiring signed kexts. The injector kext may not be in the excluded kexts list. Did you get a warning after installing the kext that it wasn't from a registered developer but would still be loaded?

Try using this to add the injector to the list and see if it solves the boot freeze.

• Like 1

There must be sth really weird going on with my computer:(If it helps i wanna add some further information.I have 2 hdds that have 2 partitions each.First i had leopard on hd,then on the other hdd i installed ml and thr injector worked.I then installed mavericks on the ml hdd with clean install.I installed the injector and it worked.Thr next day it froze at boot and,what d more weird:i couldn t boot the leopard hdd either.I installed MAvericks again and formated the other hdd which had leopard(just in case).It still didn t work.I then installed ml again and it didn t work there anymore....

And now i am on the almighty mavericks...

If i boot with -v it hangs at something like com.apple.iokit pci failed ...If i remember correctly

Lan boot room wasn t active.I just wanted to make sure if it needed to be.This the strangest thing ever considering 88e8056 is so easy to patch....I can install other kexts,but the ethernet ones make my system freeze....

Do you think it might work if i install a dsdt (i don t need it but...)?

I will test this theory somehow...On the other hand,if the ethernet has gone bad/bios problem,shouldn t os x still boot,but not detect ethernet?.The only thing that makes me somewhat believe the ethernet has gone bad is that at the same time,my leopard install on one hard disk and mavericks on the other both froze at boot...And a day before,they worked...

And ,if i remember,some mavericks installs ago :)), i patched ionetworking (not with injector) and the system workef but when i cliked the network in system preference it froze...

I opened up my computer and the onboard ethernet board has a led which show an orange light,so i don t know...

If i boot with-v it stops at:Bsd root:disk0s2 major 1 minor 1.it gets past the pci configuration etc

I have a router and prior to the booting screen it shows ethernet as active and,after it gets to the booting screen it shows as if i unplugged the cable from the computer.I also have a led at the ethernet port in my motherboard which shows orange prior to booting screen and after that,it stops.If i disable ethernet in bios,the router identifies active ethernet all the time...I don t think it s a hardware issue

There must be sth really weird going on with my computer:(If it helps i wanna add some further information.I have 2 hdds that have 2 partitions each.First i had leopard on hd,then on the other hdd i installed ml and thr injector worked.I then installed mavericks on the ml hdd with clean install.I installed the injector and it worked.Thr next day it froze at boot and,what d more weird:i couldn t boot the leopard hdd either.I installed MAvericks again and formated the other hdd which had leopard(just in case).It still didn t work.I then installed ml again and it didn t work there anymore....

And now i am on the almighty mavericks...

If i boot with -v it hangs at something like com.apple.iokit pci failed ...If i remember correctly

Read closely what you said there.  Leopard was working.  ML was working.  Mavericks was working.  Then suddenly, they ALL stopped working.  The software didn't suddenly change.  The hardware had to suddenly change.  Either the hardware broke or the BIOS which controls the hardware got corrupted.

Try using the ethernet in Windows or Linux.  If you don't want to install Windows, use a Linux live CD to boot and test ethernet.  Also, for BIOS, consider resetting it to factory settings and reconfiguring it.