5970 on Mavericks 10.9

romaincs

41 posts in this topic

Hey, I just managed to get my HD5970 working by using posted kexts and AtiConfig: Zonalis. Got my 2 monitors hooked up and working. The only problem is that my HWMonitor is reporting ~50*C on first core (with is ok), and up to 80*C on the second. Any idea who could be the cause of this?

Hey,

No idea. On my board, there is only one fan for both gpu with one heat sink. The second gpu is usualy hotter than the first one when both are running.

Your second GPU should not be hot as it's not used with that kext. Maybe you managed to activate both ? lol ?!

5970 is a real heater by the way... On summer it's the hell in the room. But it runs good.¥†

That said, I would check for dust in it. If you do so, get some thermal paste and pads before to achieve that.

FYI it's quite cold in here (like 15ºC) and my temps are GPU1 75ºC/GPU2 62ºC while stressing the card with Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0. I just cleaned my board few weeks ago.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. I will give a try this night when I will come back from my work. As soon as possible I will give you a feedback

No news, good news ? :lol:

I suppose cleaning is long overdue, but I just went through a basic mode of UH Benchmark 4.0 and while maintaining ~50fps temp stayed at no more than 80*C. 

Normally I wouldn't worry with those results, but while idle GPU goes down to 40-50*C on Windows, on OSX it stays at about 70, as if it was still under stress.

Is your card cooling down while idle? And is there a way to check if 2nd core is active (as much as I doubt it), or maybe a way to under-clock my GPU on OSX? 

I agree with you. I did not check temp after stress. I will.

For the second gpu, if you did no edit to the provided kext, the second gpu is inactive for sure.

To underclock your gpu, you will have to go through bios edit and flashing. I don't know software way to achieve that on osx. I would not recommend to flash you gpu bios.

I noticed that some windows settings for hardware remains even if you boot to osx. The temp you report are after reboot from windows or cold boot ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for reading,

Yes, I forgot to mention that I edited "AMD5000Controller.kext" as "ATI5000Controller.kext" and "AMDRadeonX3000.kext" as "AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext".

I'm not realy familiar with FB things. In ML, when I used AtiConfig=Uakari and added ID under cypress, which FB does it used ? I'm asking myself if they did not moved the FB in another kext like X4000 one.... ?

Hun what? 

Could you be a bit more precise please?

Do you mean renamed AMD5000Controller.kext" to "ATI5000Controller.kext" and "AMDRadeonX3000.kext" to "AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext"? 

If that is the case you also added/created an info.plist and version.plist for each? I ask because in 10.9 those 2 files do not exist in AMD5000Controller.kext. 

Where did you get the Info.plist from?

And what is FB, FaceBook? 

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

10.9.4 kexts for 5970

Thank you!

Just want to confirm that It worked perfect in my system.

GA-X58A-UD7 rev2 FD

AMD RADEON HD5970

i7 950

Two monitors with dvi to hdmi connectors 1080p

UB mavericks 10.9.4 (also tried with Niresh but I didn't manage to make it work)

AtiConfig=Zonalis

GraphicsEnabler=Yes

PCIRootUID=0

NPCI=0x3000

• 2 years later...