/com.apple.Boot.plist not found !

megavolkan

104 posts in this topic

I'm not so sure an IDE to SATA converter will work for the DVD drive. In VMWare, I used a virtual drive to boot the image from and I still got the same error.

I also tried loading from the image on my hdd (rather than enabling a dvd drive) and still the error occurred.

"Intel PXE Network" sounds like a BIOS message. Try to press F8 right after you hit Enter from the "Intel PXE Network" message.

Its not a BIOS message, 'Intel PXE Network' thing is just a choice that you should choose out of a boot location list of OSX installation. And that is something that comes after you press F8.

My opinion is OSX installer doesn't recognize the right boot sector of Installer disc. Maybe this is the problem that must be fixed. And i believe we can do it in the command console (or Darwin) by entering some sort of command which tells the installer where to start booting on the OSX DVD.

Any suggestion what could that be?

i found out that my dvd drive in my laptop was not compatible with booting. i plugged the hard drive into another laptop and installed osx86 there and slapped it back in mine. the drive still works in osx86 with no problems with patchburn3

i found out that my dvd drive in my laptop was not compatible with booting. i plugged the hard drive into another laptop and installed osx86 there and slapped it back in mine. the drive still works in osx86 with no problems with patchburn3

Did your laptop hdd have Windows on it first? Can you really install the operating system on one computer and then put it in a different computer? Doesn't the install keep a blueprint like thing of the system, so you aren't able to just put it in something else?

I tried using a different dvd rom, but that didn't help. However, if installing the OS on another system works, that could be a possibility for me. I don't really understand how it could really work, though.

Did your laptop hdd have Windows on it first? Can you really install the operating system on one computer and then put it in a different computer? Doesn't the install keep a blueprint like thing of the system, so you aren't able to just put it in something else?

I tried using a different dvd rom, but that didn't help. However, if installing the OS on another system works, that could be a possibility for me. I don't really understand how it could really work, though.

i used my dad's ibm thinkpad (855 chipset w/ ati graphics).. i think by default all drivers are installed.. my laptop is a lenovo 3000 c100. it has a 915 chipset. so it's not a controller issue. i suppose if you installed the base os on a similar chipset system, you should be find unless it's a controller issue. i have an xp-osx dual boot using chain0 method cuz i don't like acronis.... i plan to overhaul the install though. i cloned the hd to a 100gb from a 40gb. i might want a bigger osx86 partition now. we'll see.

Well, I finally got my mobo in the mail and my coputer setup (took sooo long, but wiring is killer).

Anyways, I've been fidgeting with the bios and trying to get the dvd to boot... still no luck.

By the way, has anyone tried installing from a external USB DVD or something like that? Any success?

I've decided to test this out, but alas, it still gave the file missing error, even in both scenerios with the JMicron controller enabled and disabled.. ;)

I tried fiddeling with the AHCI for the jmicron.. still nothing, and I even tried swapping to another dvd burner from my other older box that mac isntalled on.. still no go, file missing errors galore :)

As far as the IDE to SATA goes, I've not made it to the store, and probably won't for some time (kinda lazy like that). If anybody wants to try this, please do and inform us how it goes.

Oh, I also think that once it's intalled to a drive using the JMicron controller, the OS will boot fine; the older mac os I had loaded from my other box starts to boot, but then errors out on some firewire stuff, no matter if I enable or disable the onboard firewire :( hmpf.

Does anybody have a P965 motherboard that has an onboard boot menu feature (common in laptops, according to the abit "techie")? I'm curious if this method would get around the file missing like it did in my other board.

Also, I know the BIOS in my board is still one the one that's out, but am still curious if the update might fix it; if anybody has an Abit AB9 Pro and gets teh bios 14 working, let me know :)

[i think I'll resort to calling the abit tech line and 'guiding' me through it, so if the board flakes on me again I can blame them :s]

"Intel PXE Network" sounds like a BIOS message. Try to press F8 right after you hit Enter from the "Intel PXE Network" message.

When OSX boots, first the screen turns black then grey with a spinning icon. As soon as the screen turns black (after you hit Enter), start tapping the F8 key quickly and repeatedly until a command prompt appears. Type -v at the prompt.

I don't know if you know Rammjet, but I must say, I think it's a problem with the Darwin loader, it doesn't get to the GUI of OSX when it gives the file missing error... Which leads me to my next question: Does the OSX isnatll DVD have to be HFS+ partitioned? Could it not be another format? And if it could, couldn't the disk be compiled so the bios could recognize everything on there?

Hmm, I guess I'll test this as I'm anxious to figure this out :)

Any success with a SATA drive so far? Anyone?

Or are we stuck to the all IDE dirves. Has anyone got a MSI P965 Neo mobo and OSX86 installed?

I tried installing to a SATA with the JMicron controller disabled, and booting from my converted usb dvdrom.. and tried 2 different burners, still failed... :2cents:

And should be any p695 shouldnt it? Currently, I've isntalled win and going to try via vmware.. hope that works :D

Hmm... I'm not so sure it's the JMicron controller. I've searched around a little bit and there are a bunch of people that share the same mobo as me (P5W DH Deluxe) that have successfully installed Mac OS. On the HCL list, it doesn't mention anything about the JMicron controller either. This is leading me to believe it's something els... I just don't know what.

EDIT: I found a solution!!! At least a solution that works for me. On my mobo, I have 2 IDE ports. One is the JMicron one, and the other is the ICH7R (I think that's what it is.) I read elsewhere that when turning on AHCI, you have to plug in the DVD-rom in the ICH7R port. I thought I did this but I guess not. This is why when I put it on AHCI last time I didn't see my DVD-rom. Well I switched it to the ICH7R port and turned on AHCI, and it works! I'm installing it this very moment. Hope this helps!

Ah, interseting souled.. sadly, my mobo only has one IDE controller :) and is by the JMicron controller as well as 2 SATA ports... Hmm, I wonder if a PCI - IDE card would fix the issue, I got one laying around, I'll test that this minute.

And your solution is supporting that it is indeed the JMicron controller; something about it and Disc devices don't work (try booting into a Win9x DOS floppy with cd-rom support, fails miserably.. :) ) Although, booting to mac from on a JMicron IDE controller is possible, by what I've seen my old one do (cept it errored on firewire like I mentioned earlier).

Well, I'll see if the IDE-PCI card work, I'll letcha all know of course :)

EDIT: Well, seems this will take a bit longer than I thought, the my dvd burner isn't recognized on this damn card I have, dunno if its bum IDE cables or something, be another 30 mins or so, gonna go on IDE cable hunt. :s

EDIT2: Hmpf, still no go on my card, windows recognizes the card, can't find a x64bit driver but only looked for about 2 secs.. and SATA plugged into it (its a 2 port sata and 1 port ide to pci card) doesn't get recognized, so thinking either card is in bad pci or bios conflicting... or, maybe i shutdown my good box and test a working card? If I don't doze off again, I'll be puttin results in faster than this last time... ;P

Err, ok, so I figured it out; I had unplugged the sata drive's power from the main power channel, ( i knew that was simple ) but the cdrom still failed... from the online manual "The card does not support ATAPI devices such

as Zip drives or CD/DVD drives." Well isn't that lovely?? I guess I'll deal with another pci-ide card tomarrow, just a matter of switching off my main computer... i'd rahter not though.

Anybody try the IDE - SATA method yet with a DVD Burner/Rom?

Yea, i agree man, still only got my theories myself...

Has any of you tried booting from an old DOS 9x boot floppy with CD-Rom support?

I'm sure it will fail for anybody using the DVD Rom on the jmicron controller... I'm about to order one of those IDE to SATA connectors (18 bucks with shipping via newegg.com).

BTW, i successfully (yea, what a concept for this board) upgraded my BIOS to a modded newest version... still didn't make the thing work. I'm also thinking, since it's the open darwin that can't find the file, would it not be a driver issue with open darwin? Arg, I wish I knew how to make my own drivers.... I'm gonna play around with the open darwin boot disk and try to fiddle away.

Oh ya, I almost got to test the install via vmware but msUpdate rendered my registry corrupt.. so I get to reinstall, YAY!! (oh, besides the fact my hdd sounds like an ewok...)

I'll letcha know how well it boots into mac os using that ide channel tomarrow sometime :D

EDIT:

lol, megavolkan, I think its just you and me that's having this stubborn problem and glad to hear you're stubborn like me in tring to get it to boot without having to do the win step inbetween :) although, I think the ide-sata method will work, going to order that right now, should be here next tuesday (i'll expect it wednesday)

Thought I'd add in, booting with just the Open Darwin cd, gives me an error right as fast as the osX setup does:

"/System.config/Default.table" not found

hmm, I swear it didn't error on my asus board, I'll check it tomarrow morning. [Just tried the disk in VMWare on this old box of mine, it actually boots till my comp can't handle it]. So, I think it's a problem with the darwin loader conflicting with the jmicron ide controller? Perhaps maybe, jsut maybe it's a simple driver issue with darwin?

Edit: Er, i meant to say, I think darwin has a problem with cd-devices on this jmicron cotroller, or at least the ver of it that we have ;)

be interesting, if there was a way to load a driver on there and test it....

Thank god I found this thread! This problem has been driving me insane! Anyway, after reading everybody's posts I figured I throw my 2 cents of desperation in. Here are my specs:

MSI P965 Neo

Intel Core Duo 2 1.86ghz

320gb Western Digital IDE HD

1gb RAM

ATI x1600

So basically I tried everything you guys tried, with the exception of the USB boot and the IDE -> SATA converter, all to no avail. Today I went and bought a SATA HD to test out, and the OS X still failed.

My conclusion is that, at least for me, booting OSX on a 965 MB is impossible at this point and time. Even with the SATA plugged in, it only saw the PXE Boot Client, which means it wasn't reading either my IDE controller or my SATA controller, so tomorrow I'm returning my 965 for a 945. Good luck with everything!

Now wait just a minute, it may still be possible! The IDE to SATA device is a little 12 buck converter... (It's for making the DVD Burner a sata device, not the HDD I'm installing to; I've got plenty of sata devices and checked that part first). Mine is still in the mail, I'm hoping to get it tomorrow sometime.. latest friday (it helps entering your credit card info correctly, heh, damn date check). Well, I'll let everyone know what happens yet, and I just got windows re-installed, so will try install through VMWare, I'm pretty sure the OS will boot natively once it's installed :D

So keep your hopes up, 2 more test trials to do, and well, hope both of them work.

OK, here's the deal:

Got my IDE to SATA connector today (FINALLY!!).

Plugged my dvd burned into ther, plugged it into my main SATA controller (not that damn jmicron one).

Well, DARWIN BOOTS!

Sooooo gooood. Using my 10.4.6 dvd currently, looks like it hung with a grey apple... gonna do verbose mode next here in a minute.

Lets see, I think that's it... I'll post what verbose does for me.. unless thats for darwin part only... hmm, we'll see :)

Oh yea, if I can't get it to boot properly, I'll try the vmware way.. I've got a fresh new 80gb sataII drive for the job as well :D

EDIT:

Ok, found my problem, probably will work for you:

Verbose mode gives ugly results.. exactally what the installed os 10.4.6 drive said from my other box when I poped it in this one...

FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 8023 PCI: Bad selfID's, issuing bus reset (retry -has a number that goes to 40)

/SourceCache/AppleFWOHCI/AppleFWOCHI-259.4.0/AppleFWOHCI.cpp 2760: ERROR: Firewire (OHCI) TI ID 8023 PCI: handle UnrecoverableErrorInt

Then, after 40'th time:

Still waiting for root device 3 times..

FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 8023 PCI: 136 bus resets in last minute.

Still waiting for....... several more times; I'm gonna fiddle with bios now, the ahci and ata thingie.. maybe pop in another sata port.

ooo, new thingie:

FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 8023 PCI: 96 bus resets in last minute.

Still waiting for root device

guess it does in 3x intervals? I wonder what happens when it hits 0....

EDIT: hmm, stalls and does 3x od waiting, doesnt go less than 96 :)

Thought I might also pop in:

Since this is a cpp file and erroring on what looks like line 2706 (That right?) couldn't it be edited and fixed? or bypassed?

EDIT:

Yay, more info :\

Well, with AHCI for the controller the dvd rom is plugged into, comes up in verbose and hangs quite quickly:

Waiting for boot volume with UUID [bunch of numbers, too lazy to copy]

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourcesMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

heh, guess I'll try the 10.4.7 cd next, then vmware-ing it. :)

Hope this helps, hope somebody has answers to my above questions :)

Final Edit for the night:

Well, I tried all 3 of my SATA controllers (SiI, Jmicron, and the one the bios refers to as IDE (or raid/ahci)... couldn't get it to boot the installer with any combinations :)

I had to unplug my ps/2 KB, plugin a usb one (poped in my mac kb).. then it came up with

USB device thingie (i dont remember it 1:1) signaled wake (ahci [or something])

ect.......

so, i dunno what else to do other than VMWare... I'll work on this come sunday, work tomarrow, booo.

mMiniImManN:

Please let us know what's happening with your machine. I succeded with an Athlon 3500+ machine, but now I'm failing terribly with my brand new Abit Ab9 + Conroe + nVidia 7600GT.

I tried booting from IDE DVD and there was the boot.plist failure. Then with the USB DVD and the same thing. Now I'm trying with VMWare but.... No working. My next move is a Sata-IDE convertor, an Abit Bios update and... I'll be out of ideas.

So, plz let us know if you have any success. Coz I know you will man!! ;)

We'll conquer you Stevie!

same problem here .... but got it solved when i extracted it again from the rar file and burned it again at low speed.....

i burned it with clone dvd 2.9.0.1 which even solved my ebios error ....... which alcohol and nero could not

how? You were having the /com.apple.Boot error and it's solved now?

So i have a 10.4.5 native install DVD (with patches of course), and if i remake the DVD via clone dvd way it will be solved...

wish i was at home now and give it a try

can't wait!!!

(cross the fingers :) )

what if i install MacOS with VMWare on a separate disk and try to boot it natively?

Does this solve the problem?

Any ideas?

Did you try any other installation dvd's? JaS 10.4.6 with 10.4.7 update is working great here.