• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Hameer Abbasi

Hameer Abbasi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

I have a few Windows dual boot woes/questions. I previously installed OS X 10.6/10.7/10.8. They worked beautifully, and my system is fully supported.

But the problem I've always had has been on the Windows end. Any time I get an update for OS X (minor, e.g. from 10.8.1 to 10.8.2), my Windows installation would spontaneously stop booting. I would have to manually use an install disk to set the active/boot partition back to the Windows one, and then run a boot repair from the install disk (bootrec /fixmbr, bootrec /fixboot), then boot into OS X and re-install the bootloader. I'm now attempting a 10.9/Win8 dual boot.

So, would this problem still happen? What would be the suggested solution?

Any answers/time you may give me is appreciated, even if you just take time to read the question.

I should also mention that this time around, 10.9 is on a different HDD entirely. Yes, I have 2 HDDs.

pokenguyen

pokenguyen

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

I have a few Windows dual boot woes/questions. I previously installed OS X 10.6/10.7/10.8. They worked beautifully, and my system is fully supported.

But the problem I've always had has been on the Windows end. Any time I get an update for OS X (minor, e.g. from 10.8.1 to 10.8.2), my Windows installation would spontaneously stop booting. I would have to manually use an install disk to set the active/boot partition back to the Windows one, and then run a boot repair from the install disk (bootrec /fixmbr, bootrec /fixboot), then boot into OS X and re-install the bootloader. I'm now attempting a 10.9/Win8 dual boot.

So, would this problem still happen? What would be the suggested solution?

Any answers/time you may give me is appreciated, even if you just take time to read the question.

I should also mention that this time around, 10.9 is on a different HDD entirely. Yes, I have 2 HDDs.

It's just like what you did before, install osx, windows then repair windows. That's how MBR system works.

If you want easier installation, move from Chimera/Chameleon with HybridMBR drive to Clover UEFI bootloader with pure GPT drive. Dual boot is only a breeze.

Hameer Abbasi

Hameer Abbasi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

It's just like what you did before, install osx, windows then repair windows. That's how MBR system works.

If you want easier installation, move from Chimera/Chameleon with HybridMBR drive to Clover UEFI bootloader with pure GPT drive. Dual boot is only a breeze.

This might be an awkward question. My motherboard does have EFI, but not UEFI. Also, my Windows HDD is MBR, and my OS X HDD is GPT. Will this still happen?

I do not want to re-install my Windows, since it'll take a long time to set up.

pokenguyen

pokenguyen

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

This might be an awkward question. My motherboard does have EFI, but not UEFI. Also, my Windows HDD is MBR, and my OS X HDD is GPT. Will this still happen?

I do not want to re-install my Windows, since it'll take a long time to set up.

Try creating a Clover UEFI and boot from it, to see if it works,

For a working Windows UEFI, you have to reinstall in UEFI mode. I don't know if you can convert it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mavericks, win8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy