Windows 8/Mavericks - Dual Boot woes/questions

4 posts in this topic

I have a few Windows dual boot woes/questions. I previously installed OS X 10.6/10.7/10.8. They worked beautifully, and my system is fully supported.

But the problem I've always had has been on the Windows end. Any time I get an update for OS X (minor, e.g. from 10.8.1 to 10.8.2), my Windows installation would spontaneously stop booting. I would have to manually use an install disk to set the active/boot partition back to the Windows one, and then run a boot repair from the install disk (bootrec /fixmbr, bootrec /fixboot), then boot into OS X and re-install the bootloader. I'm now attempting a 10.9/Win8 dual boot.

So, would this problem still happen? What would be the suggested solution?

Any answers/time you may give me is appreciated, even if you just take time to read the question.

I should also mention that this time around, 10.9 is on a different HDD entirely. Yes, I have 2 HDDs.

I have a few Windows dual boot woes/questions. I previously installed OS X 10.6/10.7/10.8. They worked beautifully, and my system is fully supported.

But the problem I've always had has been on the Windows end. Any time I get an update for OS X (minor, e.g. from 10.8.1 to 10.8.2), my Windows installation would spontaneously stop booting. I would have to manually use an install disk to set the active/boot partition back to the Windows one, and then run a boot repair from the install disk (bootrec /fixmbr, bootrec /fixboot), then boot into OS X and re-install the bootloader. I'm now attempting a 10.9/Win8 dual boot.

So, would this problem still happen? What would be the suggested solution?

Any answers/time you may give me is appreciated, even if you just take time to read the question.

I should also mention that this time around, 10.9 is on a different HDD entirely. Yes, I have 2 HDDs.

It's just like what you did before, install osx, windows then repair windows. That's how MBR system works.

If you want easier installation, move from Chimera/Chameleon with HybridMBR drive to Clover UEFI bootloader with pure GPT drive. Dual boot is only a breeze.

It's just like what you did before, install osx, windows then repair windows. That's how MBR system works.

If you want easier installation, move from Chimera/Chameleon with HybridMBR drive to Clover UEFI bootloader with pure GPT drive. Dual boot is only a breeze.

This might be an awkward question. My motherboard does have EFI, but not UEFI. Also, my Windows HDD is MBR, and my OS X HDD is GPT. Will this still happen?

I do not want to re-install my Windows, since it'll take a long time to set up.

This might be an awkward question. My motherboard does have EFI, but not UEFI. Also, my Windows HDD is MBR, and my OS X HDD is GPT. Will this still happen?

I do not want to re-install my Windows, since it'll take a long time to set up.

Try creating a Clover UEFI and boot from it, to see if it works,

For a working Windows UEFI, you have to reinstall in UEFI mode. I don't know if you can convert it.