Crazy boot problem

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I really have a crazy boot problem.....no a problem really........

Ok I have Windows XP Pro on my first hard drive.......Primary NTFS partition 1

FAT32 Drive on Partition 2....logical.......

Mac OS X86 10.4.6 on Partition 3 (Active)

and Fedora 6 on Partiotion 4 Primary......

I can boot into Windows and Fedora from the Grub......(Cannot Boot into OS X)

I copied Chain0 to C:\ Drive and added it to boot.ini......and when I try to boot into OS X ....it says error in Chain Loader.........

TO go into OS X ..... I have to boot from the OS X bootable DVD and Wait for 8 Seconds...and then It boots into OS X.......If I press F8 at the OS X boot loader.....Just my DVD-Drive with OS X disk appears........

In the Strat-up disk (OS X).....nothing comes Up.......

I have OS X disk in the Grub loader but it does not boot from GRUB....when I select OS X from Grub it says invalid executable file......

Please help me to boot 3 OS

Oh... I even installed the Acronis Boot Loader and Just XP works.....

I think OSX has to be on a Primary partition.

When you put in the Install DVD, try pressing down ( I forgot what key, maybe its Enter) You may see the Mac Drive here. If you do, boot from it. Also I have always been unsuccesful with GRUB. Acronis works with me always. Currently using Chain0. RHEL4 doesnt work with Acronis for some weird reason also. I would recommend NTLDR (Windows boot menu) linked to OSX (Chain0), Windows and GRUB. GRUB can be linked back to NTLDR amd if possible OSX.

muitommy, if you donot understand the question, please shut up.

i have the same problem ....

to boot osx i have to insert the install dvd and specify that the kernel is on disk0s7

on my 80 gb ide hdd i have these partition : (in this order)

the first 15 gb for XP

5 GB for Novell Linux

15 GB for another XP

20 Gb for OS X

the rest is a FAT32 partition to move files from OSX

(i have 2 windows installs, one for daily use and the other for video editing)

i have copied chain0 and tried it with NTDLR and it gives me a "chainloader errror"

is the OSX partition too far away and it can't be booted normaly ?

to boot osx i have to insert the install dvd and specify that the kernel is on disk0s7

on my 80 gb ide hdd i have these partition : (in this order)

the first 15 gb for XP (partition 1)

5 GB for Novell Linux (partition 2)

15 GB for another XP (partition 3)

20 Gb for OS X (partition 4)

the rest is a FAT32 partition to move files from OSX (partition 5)

is the OSX partition too far away and it can't be booted normaly ?

The OSX partition is the 4th one. If all of the first 4 partitions are primary (not logical/extended) then that is OK.

But using the "disk0s7" parameter is telling it to boot the 7th partition ("disk0" = 1st hard drive, "s7" = 7th partition). That really doesn't make sense if OSX is on partition 4.

Rammjet the OSX partition cannot be primary as the 4th primary will be the extended logical. As I said earlier. XP has no probs whatsoever booting of logical. But OSX does. So do this use partition magic to make one of your XP partition to Logical. Now convert the OSX one to Primary.

Note make that partition logical, which is closest to the extended/logical partition

ie

Part1) Novell

Part2) WinXP

Part3) WinXP **Convert this to Logical**

Part4) Extended

Part5) Fat32

Part6) ....

Part7) OSX **Make this primary**

Rammjet the OSX partition cannot be primary as the 4th primary will be the extended logical.

True. If there are only 4 partitions, then all can be primary. If there are 5 or more, one of the primary partitions has to become extended logical.

But OSX often balks if it is after any logical extended partition. So it would be better if OSX was on any of the first 3 primary partitions and any logical extended partitions came after that.