OSX on DELL Vostro 3450 / Inspiron N4110 / XPS L702x UEFI Clover

TimeWalker75a

1,149 posts in this topic

LCD backlight control require re-work from scratch

USB require re-work in general (patch set for DSDT)

USB 3.0 ports won't work without third party kext - not something I'm a huge fan of.

All in all, I'm staying away from 10.10 until at least 10.10.1 is released and the fuss calms down.

Support will come, eventually .. as I use this computer for work I can't really scrape everything off and start fresh any minute.

• Like 1

I generally stay away from initial releases of anything. Usually least of all Apple, but even Apple's code has got unbelievably sloppy since Jobs passed. Initial iOS releases are a prime example. I doubt Steve would have let anything that buggy get to beta, let alone release. Then again, he wouldn't have let a the GUI design be outsourced to some Android fans either... Cupertino start your photocopiers :D

• 4 weeks later...

@TimeWalker75a I noticed recently that after sleep system performance seems a little sluggish. Have you come across this? I believe it might be after the 10.10.5 update although I can't be sure as only just noticed it. A reboot fixes the issue, but it makes sleep a bit annoying.

If it's the same sleep problem I had, putting EmuVariableUefi-64.efi back in the drivers64UEFI folder will solve it. This is due to non-standard implementations of NVRAM on our Dell machines, which sometimes wreaks havoc depending on what's stored.

On other matters, seeing as 10.11.1 is out, has anyone tried to write USB & Backlight kexts for the Dell machines? El Capitan works surprisingly faster on my macbook pro than yosemite did, and wanted to see how it would run on the XPS 15z now that things seem to have stabilised...

• Like 1

November is going to be crazy business trip busy for me, so no chance to try it out. So don't expect anything until late November to early December, probably. I barely had time to install Capitan on my Macbook last week and now 10.11.1 hit already...

Rehabman has revamped the backlight kext, I just need to see whether it will work ok on Yosemite and if so ditch everything from ACPI as this is where it was going in regards to that. As fast as USB go, I saw someone put a legacy that enabled Fresco Logic 1009 work, but I highly doubt that a legacy will do anything  for older units with NEC chips. 

Oh, an I have the laptop sitting at my desk most of the time these days going in an out of sleep without any obvious performance impact issues, so I guess the safest bet would be to try resetting nvram, otherwise what @jkbuha said.

• Like 1

Turns out upgrading to 10.11.1 was less of a hassle than expected.

Rehabman has implemented a backlight kext that works seamlessly with the existing ACPI calls so this plugs in nicely without any modifications. AppleHDA has been changed, so if replacing the 0x11D41984 codec with our 0x10EC0269 as usual, 0x11D41983 needs to be zeroed first, and then works fine.

The single USB2 port on the XPS works thanks to a patched AppleUSBXHCI kext, but no solutions so far for the NEC/Renesas USB3 ports. Might be worth checking if anyone has had any luck flashing the USB PCI Vendor IDs to match the FL chipsets, but the best solution appears to be to develop a native USB3 kext.

Otherwise the performance is surprisingly stable and runs at lower temps than Yosemite. Battery consumption looks better too; though this may be in part due to the fact that some USB3 internal devices are powered down.

USB3 niggles aside, looks like 10.11 will remain on this machine for now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out upgrading to 10.11.1 was less of a hassle than expected.

Rehabman has implemented a backlight kext that works seamlessly with the existing ACPI calls so this plugs in nicely without any modifications. AppleHDA has been changed, so if replacing the 0x11D41984 codec with our 0x10EC0269 as usual, 0x11D41983 needs to be zeroed first, and then works fine.

The single USB2 port on the XPS works thanks to a patched AppleUSBXHCI kext, but no solutions so far for the NEC/Renesas USB3 ports. Might be worth checking if anyone has had any luck flashing the USB PCI Vendor IDs to match the FL chipsets, but the best solution appears to be to develop a native USB3 kext.

Otherwise the performance is surprisingly stable and runs at lower temps than Yosemite. Battery consumption looks better too; though this may be in part due to the fact that some USB3 internal devices are powered down.

USB3 niggles aside, looks like 10.11 will remain on this machine for now.

Could you share the link of the patched AppleUSBXHCI kex? Thank you so much.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear friends:

Frist of all, thanks a million for this amazing blog, where we can find all we need to work and play successfully with MAC OS X.

I have a couple of issues.

- First issue. When I start my computer, and I try to write on shell, I can not use : , so, I can not write fs2: I have tried with my bluetooth keyboard, and with the one in my Dell 3450, but it´s imposible.

- Second issue. Every time I turn on my pc, my sound board is making a horrible noise until I go to Voodoo and hit down the input gain. The problem is, this is not fixed, and I have to do the same change every time I turn on. I attached 2 slides to show it.

Could some one help me with this 2 issues?

Thanks a million in advance. And congratulations to every body for this help.

post-1618851-0-88335100-1448268821_thumb.png

post-1618851-0-91141000-1448268822_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hiiiiii everybody.

Any good news about "El Capitan" update?.

TW, when do you think you could help us to update from yosemite to El Capitan?.

I would like to try this new OS, but I do not want to change my distro if you do not help us.

Please, take some break on Christmas time and release a new built of your distro.

Thanks a million in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hiiiiii everybody.

Any good news about "El Capitan" update?.

TW, when do you think you could help us to update from yosemite to El Capitan?.

I would like to try this new OS, but I do not want to change my distro if you do not help us.

Please, take some break on Christmas time and release a new built of your distro.

Thanks a million in advance.

Hey! I don't think its possible to make El Capitan work flawlessly in our system. Specially because USB3 won't work, caused by the Fresco FL1009 chipset.

Happy New Year everyone! Hope you all had a great Christmas too :-) have a great 2016!

Merry Christmas and happy new year!

for USB3 FL1009 chipset:  The H61N-USB3 motherboard it has FL1009, so I implemented a USB property injector and DSDT fake device ID that leverages the native support of FL1100. see the link in my signature to see how to get USB3 with FL1009 working on El Capitan.

I'm having problem apparently with the video on a Dell XPS L702X with 10.0.3 when I go to Youtube in some of the video when i go to full screen then the system freeze then i have to press power key to shut down, sometime when it goes to sleep mode and wake up then artifacts appear. I reinstalled a new installation of Yosemite but same problem. If i reinstall DELL SCT OSX Support Package 1.1.3 the sound and wifi does not work. I have to reinstall SCT like 3 to 5 in order to recognize sound and wifi again. when it happen i tried boot with no cache or touch system but nothing work. This is weird cause it was working fine in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

When audio stopped working for me, I deleted the entire contents of the caches folder in /System/Library (but not the actual folder) then did a permission repair (sudo diskutil repairpermissions /) and that fixed everything after a reboot. Try that.

Hi everyone, I have Dell Vostro 3450, after installation I noticed what one usb3 port not working. Does anyone have the same problem? My laptop has one USB2.0 port and two USB3.0 ports. And that one who are in back of laptop doesn't work.

When audio stopped working for me, I deleted the entire contents of the caches folder in /System/Library (but not the actual folder) then did a permission repair (sudo diskutil repairpermissions /) and that fixed everything after a reboot. Try that.

Thanks for your suggestion, i tried it but didn't work in my situation. It happen only on Mac on Windows everything is working fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I have Dell Vostro 3450, after installation I noticed what one usb3 port not working. Does anyone have the same problem? My laptop has one USB2.0 port and two USB3.0 ports. And that one who are in back of laptop doesn't work.

Hey Driftu, what version did you install? Yosemite or  El Capitan?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi folks:

I have a problem. Somehow I changed my clover boot loader configuration, and now I can not start automatically. I going to show you what I see everytime I restart, but if I copy a new boot loader on a USB It let me start automatically.

Anyway, I would like to install the new "El Capitan" or reinstall Yosemite again. Anybody could help me? I quite new on it.

file:///Users/MoretSSD/Downloads/IMG_2313.JPG