OSX on DELL Vostro 3450 / Inspiron N4110 / XPS L702x UEFI Clover

TimeWalker75a

1,149 posts in this topic

Fn+F3 only opens the Clover - About.

renaming that file - still nothing happens.

Question:

Since you, sir, clearly stated in the first page that:

Also I should mention that booting Legacy Windows from UEFI Clover is a big no go with Tiano firmware, so don't expect that. The only way to access Legacy Windows is to either use F12 and choosing Hard Disk or exiting Clover.

Is it harmful if I install Clover bootloader in Yosemite for the meantime? Installing clover on boot manager would always be better.

I only have one HDD for the meantime, since I haven't bought a disk caddy yet. But I do plan to buy one, a plan of mine long time ago.
I am still really looking forward to install Clover on the bootloader.

Renaming the file should have allowed you to enter the correct SHELL by starting the only visible Shell you supposedly see on the text GUI. Thus allowing you to use bcfg etc ... 

You can't install a bootloader into Yosemite, the only way you can install it is the guide in the first post. Since you only have single hard disk I would advice to stick to USB booter for now .. just copy every file from your ESP to USB drive by mounting ESP using the Mounter app that was installed with SCT package.

Renaming the file should have allowed you to enter the correct SHELL by starting the only visible Shell you supposedly see on the text GUI. Thus allowing you to use bcfg etc ... 

Oh, troubleshooting...

I uploaded a video simulating how I created the Clover USB.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qqmvd1i8aq5d7i5/Untitled.mp4

but I think it has nothing to do with it, since I was able to boot.

You can't install a bootloader into Yosemite, the only way you can install it is the guide in the first post. Since you only have single hard disk I would advice to stick to USB booter for now .. just copy every file from your ESP to USB drive by mounting ESP using the Mounter app that was installed with SCT package.

Oh.. Can't install..

I didn't get the next part though. I'm googled on how to mount all HDD partitions (including hidden) but haven't tried it yet, since double-clicking the Mounter app gives me nothing after entering the admin password. I think I'll stick with the Clover USB to boot up. 

When you run the Mounter app and input your password, it then mounts a partition called EFI in the side bar of your Finder window. From there you can copy the contents of it to your flash drive. Otherwise having USB drive Clover, there's no proper config there to begin with, it has a basic set up to get you through the installation. 

Hi!

Since yesterday, I was trying to make my WLAN + BT working. I started by switching my stock WLAN card, BCM4313 (which is not supported since OS X began), into Atheros ar9285 (technically, AR9285 single-chip 1-stream 11n and AR3011 single-chip Bluetooth in one). Unfortunately, this card causes my USB 2.0 and eSATA ports suffer fluctuations. I wasn't able to address this issue by installing the corresponding drivers for this device. Luckily, I have a friend, a technician, who got a couple of broken laptops. I found this BCM943225 (WiFi only, no BT), took it home and tried. At first I wasn't able to make it work but when I restarted, it finally worked! 

Now, I finally able to make my hackintosh 88% working, leaving behind bluetooth (1%), boot manager (3%) each and 2 USB 3.0 ports with 8%.

- BT is not a big deal to me since I miraculously use it.

- Booting without the Clover USB is fine, but nothing compares with the hassle-free booting.

- I could use my USB 2.0 and eSATA ports, but every USB port is preferable.

I'm on my way reading to make these Renesas USBs 3.0 work.

I'm also waiting for my HDD Caddy to arrive.

Big thanks to Sir Timewalker75a for the help and guidance to make OS X work on our units.

:thumbsup_anim:  :graduated:  :thanks_speechbubble:

Sir Timewalker75a,

desert-storm-desert-storm-soldier-war-sm

You will get all your USB prorts once you start using the bootloader that you've installed on your hard disk via SCT Package. It's already there and provides patches for USB ports to function properly... All that's needed is for you to add Clover to Boot Manager using SHELL2.efi from EFI/CLOVER/tools on Clover USB.

Hi sir. I managed to view the contents of the EFI partition with the help of terminal commands.

post-1130326-0-76178400-1435835473_thumb.png

post-1130326-0-36832100-1435835497.png

post-1130326-0-33164100-1435835508.png

post-1130326-0-73124800-1435835516.png

post-1130326-0-86692600-1435835526.png

should this be the only file inside EFI?

also, on the shell, I was able to rename the SHELL2.efi to Shell64U.efi, then I was able to access 2.0 Shell.

post-1130326-0-93726800-1435836206.png

But I disobeyed you on the line

rm -r BOOT

since putting -r gives me invalid parameter. I only entered

rm BOOT 

:(

the next lines of codes were fine. But I did it on fs0, since I can't do it on other fs. 1,GPT was on fs1 though.

also, how could I clear the entries on the boot manager? I messed up.

Improvement:

USB 3.0 now working!

Hi sir. I managed to view the contents of the EFI partition with the help of terminal commands.

should this be the only file inside EFI?

also, on the shell, I was able to rename the SHELL2.efi to Shell64U.efi, then I was able to access 2.0 Shell.

But I disobeyed you on the line.. 

the next lines of codes were fine. But I did it on fs0, since I can't do it on other fs. 1,GPT was on fs1 though.

also, how could I clear the entries on the boot manager? I messed up.

Hmm.. How come your mounted ESP doesn't have anything related to Clover? oO

It disobeyed one line as -r is a unix flag for directory removal and it should be just rm like you ended up doing .. will correct the line in the first post.

bcfg boot dump  - list all the boot entries
bcfg boot rm entry_no - remove specific entry number.

If I were you I'd re-install SCT package and check the contents of ESP over again.

Boot manager cleaned.

I already did, still nothing.

Should I try reinstalling the whole yosemite?

Is there anything we can do like copy-pasting into the EFI partition? IDK if the EFI is write capable though, I didn't try.
Or it should go through installation?

EDIT:

ALso I found this in System Preferences

post-1130326-0-14060100-1435898529.png

post-1130326-0-83049200-1435898542_thumb.png

post-1130326-0-04144800-1435898558_thumb.png

post-1130326-0-40154600-1435898570_thumb.png

Might be useful.

I finally made it through!

Since I was able to confirm that the EFI partition is writable, I tried to do the plan I devised learning that EFI partition could be mounted. (credits to this thread /yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html from tonymac)

I just copied the whole CLOVER folder from the Clover USB to the EFI directory on EFI partition, as I learned from the commands that the boot manager should be directed to fetch the .efi file from EFI partition.

Restarted, then boom! Clover bootloader installed!

Now, I finally have a fully functional Hackintosh Inspiron N4110. 

Thanks sir TimeWalker!

Again,

desert-storm-desert-storm-soldier-war-sm

PS:
Is there anyway to clean up the boot entries in Clover?
It got 4 boot options to choose from, and it's kinda dirty to look at.

The files on that usb stick are just temporary to get you through the I installatIon, but not for daily use as they lack serial and other proprietary configuration. You are meant to install SCT package, which combines the settings you choose into a proper boot loader configuration...

• Like 1

Your ps above is achieved by using custom entries functionality in clover config. You are supposed to create entries that are going to be hidden by default.

I haven't heard a single complaint about SCT not mounting ESP, so I can't tell why it's not good for you particularly. Check the log in Console to have an idea about what happens ..

• 1 month later...

Nope, not yet. I know for a fact that USB3 will be a problem in 10.11 as Fresco Logic FL1009 doesn't seem to be supported not to mention the NEC chips on the FastEthernet daughterboards

Also, MacBookPro8 range never came with USB3 support. The rest seems like a no-brainer .. RehabMan addressed brightness control issues as far as I know.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...