OSX on DELL Vostro 3450 / Inspiron N4110 / XPS L702x UEFI Clover

TimeWalker75a

1,149 posts in this topic

New package, nothing major update-wise (not trying El Capitan for until Public Beta hits), but I've added much needed logging:

-------------- DELL SCT Pre-Installation Start -------------
13:37:34: mounting efi partition
13:37:34: booted disk is currently /dev/disk1s2
13:37:34: efi map created, mounting partition to /Volumes/EFI
13:37:35: /dev/disk1s1 mounted to mapped /Volumes/EFI
--------------- DELL SCT Pre-Installation End --------------
----------- Clover Main Pre-Installation Start -------------
13:37:35: ROM data from config preserved
13:37:35: got serials xxx,yyyy
------------------ Clover Data Backup Start ----------------
13:37:35: created Desktop/Backups/2015-06-14
13:37:35: /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist file backed up
13:37:35: patched acpi tables backed up
13:37:35: previous clover folder removed from mapped efi partition
------------------- Clover Data Backup End -----------------
------------- Clover Main Pre-Installation End -------------
----------- Common Files Pre-Installation Start ------------
-------------- Kernel Extension Backup Start ---------------
13:37:35: backing up kernel extensions to Desktop/Backups/2015-06-14/Extensions
13:37:35: backup dir didn't exist, created one
13:37:35: ACPIBacklight.kext backed up & removed
13:37:35: ACPIBatteryManager.kext backed up & removed
13:37:35: ACPISensors.kext backed up & removed
13:37:35: CodecCommander.kext backed up & removed
13:37:35: CPUSensors.kext backed up & removed
13:37:35: FakeSMC.kext backed up & removed
13:37:36: VoodooPS2Controller.kext backed up & removed
13:37:36: RealtekRTL8111.kext backed up & removed
13:37:36: CustomPeripheral.kext backed up & removed
13:37:36: AWNB290.kext backed up & removed
---------------  Kernel Extension Backup End ---------------
------------ Common Files Pre-Installation End -------------
--------------- Clover Main Installation Start -------------
13:38:07: copying main portion of Clover to /Volumes/EFI
13:38:07: setting hibernatemode as 7 to allow hibernate (not on-demand!)
13:38:07: previous sleep image was removed
----------------- Clover Main Installation End -------------
------------- Customization Installation Start -------------
13:38:08: customized system profile definitions copied to ~/Library/Preferences/
13:38:08: custom system profile definitions removed from tmp
-------------- Customization Installation End --------------
-------------- DELL SCT Post-Installation Start ------------
13:38:08: using sle path //System/Library/Extensions
13:38:08: got os version - 10.10.4
13:38:08: /System/Library/Extensions touched to rebuild kernelcache
13:38:08: got Dell model definition - 14
13:38:08: will be using DH2L postfix for serial if not previously backed up
13:38:08: backup of serial data exists - xxx,yyyy
13:38:08: system uses gigabit ethernet, copied RealtekRTL8111 to mapped efi partition
13:38:08: acpi tables will now be compiled ...
13:38:08: compilation successful
13:38:08: acpi tables copied to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/
13:38:08: unmounted efi partition for disk /dev/disk1s2
13:38:08: removed clutter from tmp directories
-------------- DELL SCT Post-Installation End -------------
-------------- SCT Package Install Successful -------------

Version 1.1.3 (June 14th, 2015):

- Fixed an issue where installer would crash with error
- Added progress logging  (see Console > Library/Logs/SCT)
- Now retaining value of ROM data from RtVariables when installing as an update
- Clover updated to rev.3228
- HWSensors and HWMonitor updated to 6.16.1372 /w Fan Fix
- CodecCommander updated to 2.4.0

- Included hdaverb binary for audio codec debugging
- RealtekRTL8111 updated to 2.0.0d2
- VoodooPS2 updated to 1.8.15

P.S. Due to the nature of new Apple authentication, this package can no longer guarantee an out-of-the-box solution for Messages/Facetime

N.B. If your laptop behaves really slow (kernel_task takes all the CPU load) and temperatures are sky rocketing over 80C - reflash your BIOS using Pflash.efi method, but specify /cvar flag in startup.nsh to clear NVRAM store! This may happen after getting rid of EmuVariable driver with previous releases of the package.

Link is in the OP, as usual. 

@ Timewalker75a

Can you just share your DSDT ? As i am planning to dig into my DSDT after a long time and i want to know whether there are any new optimizations in the code or new patches.

It would be a complex thing to share, because BIOS has been patched with certain ACPI fixes already, so it's a combination of:

1. BIOS

2. ACPI patches via Clover

3. Custom-coded ACPI tables that are injected from patched folder

At any rate, the code is public - https://github.com/Dolnor/DELL-SCT-Support

I want to translate your guide into my language (Vietnamese) to be easier for my friends to understand and I hope to be able to get the official permission from you. All credits will be done fully. Could I???

Hi, thanks for kind words. I have nothing against your intentions, provided you specify the original discussion thread and don't mirror the files ( as it will result in fragmentation and loss of original source).

TW, I did a clean installation 10.10.3 on a L702x I think that HWMonitor doesn’t work on 10.10.3 so I installed the last version 6.16.1372 it is working but sometime when goes to standby it loss fan sensors info. In order to restore it I had to run KextUtility. Also I think that you already know but mute key only work visually but don’t mute the sound.

HWMonitor is working fine with even 10.10.4, but if you are seeing problems I've updated it to latest codebase in v1.1.3. From what I recall, ALC665 always had issues with mute and it was either working sound with no mute or nothing at all. I wasn't the one who did the config for it, so if you can provide an alternative solution - please do. I won't have the time nor patience to research why it's broken in the files @webcivilian provided. 

I am with a problem in iMessage, it functioned normally and now I do not obtain more to send message for it. It says that he is active, but when I open a colloquy, says that the user is not registered. In the FaceTime it functions normal

I'm very sorry, but I think I have never encountered this pics before.

or atleast, I forgot everything about this.

Google doesn't seem to help me either.

What are these?

when you get those picture hit Alt+F5 it will turn VoiceOver on when you get the right screen you can hit Alt+F5 again to turn off VoiceOver

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I'm back!

I managed to install Niresh's Yosemite Zone on my laptop for about a week so that I could be able to download the Official Yosemite Installer App from the App Store. (Forget my friend saying he'd DL the Yosemite App for me)

Now, it is running on Fully updated 10.10.3. :clap:

Though I encountered some issues:

1. An error window pops up just after I logged in but before the desktop is ready. It says "You shutdown your computer because of a problem."

- a. I know it restarted properly. I also tried shutting down (properly) and booted up, but still the error persists.

- b. I remembered when after I installed the Dell SCT OSX Support Package, I unintentionally attempted to continue to 4th part "Adding Clover to F12 Boot Manager". I removed my Clover USB drive, reboot, then I accidentally hit Enter then it started to boot. After a few seconds, boom, kernel panic. I restarted my PC, used the Clover USB drive to bootup. Then the error started. I haven't encountered this when I was on Niresh's Yosemite. No, I am not bringing Niresh's Yosemite here, I just wanted to report what happened and what I did for a detailed scope of activity.

2. After installing Dell SCT OSX Support package, the "About this Mac" still reflects the MacBook Pro version, and not the customized Dell N4110.

- a. I remembered I used the v1.1.2 of the package.

- b. I didn't remember if this worked on Niresh's.

Minors:

- Audio hissing (It was very loud on Niresh's, but I think my accidental [didn't read the label] installation of Lion ##### was the culprit that time.

- No WiFi yet, since I got the unsupported Broadcom 4313 which is not supported since OS X began. I got Atheros 9285 and I will replace the BCM when I got time.

PS:

I just got done working on this. It's 3:30am as of posting time. I got enough for now, and would be back later Googling but I just tried to post here just in case anybody could help me.

romski

Hi, 

Good to know you got it up and running, sort of.. 

1. Kernel panic messages are preserved in nvram (which persists across reboots and shutdowns), so the square saying to restart the computer is the notification that is displayed after a kernel panic. Though it prompts you to power off the machine by holding down the power button, it just goes straight to booting the OSX after the actual panic took place. If you continue seeing this prompt then you might want to clear the contents of nvram by doing sudo nvram -c in Terminal

2. The images of MacBook are pre-cached and sometimes may only update to the actual custom models after OSX update triggers cache rebuild, I wasn't able to find a command that would update the caches on demand. This wasn't the case prior to 10.10.. 

About your minors,

I have never heard audio hiss .. from speakers or headphones, regardless. The Wi-Fi thing is an obvious issue, but it looks like you have it covered.

Thanks sir.

1. I have no luck for this. I tried the sudo nvram -c, no avail. I tried the Command+Option+P+R thing, no avail < I tried this thing many time, since I'm only guessing where the chime kicks off. I'm going to a place with no internet available for me for a few hours, so I'll try to reinstall the whole OS X if this could solve the problem and try not to commit even a single mistake. 

2. Though I put this on the list, the About this Mac should just be a minor issue. So no problem here, I'll just try the 1.1.3 for the last time.

Audio hiss or static noise - Google google google later when I will be back.

Yeah, I already have knowledge for this wifi thing, I just added so I wont miss a thing reporting the issues.

Again, thank you sir TimeWalker for your prompt reply. I'll be back later.

EDIT:

Reinstalled OS X but the error is still there. I tried using these guides: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/when-should-you-zap-the-pramnvram-on-your-mac.html && http://www.macworld.com/article/2881177/how-to-reset-your-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html, many tries I guessed when to hold those buttons since I hear no chime on startup.

Should I be worried that the installer itself is faulty? The signature looks fine though.

Also, when I tried modifying the "About this Mac" manually, I found that the com.apple.SystemProfiler.plist has already been modified to Inspiron N4110. But it failed to reflect on the desktop.

Last option is to revert to Niresh's Yosemite, but no. I'm not yet done, and I want a clean Yosemite setup.

Also, on the Log of the Panic, I think AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement is liable for the panic.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/17nz55jad6b5pmk/panic.txt

I also found this post of yours sir.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293246-osx-on-dell-vostro-3450-inspiron-n4110-xps-l702x-uefi-clover/page-33?do=findComment&comment=2062714

EDIT:

with reference to http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284656-clover-general-discussion/page-29 specifically post 566, I found the panic message on nvram using nvram -p.  Then follows sudo rm /nvram.plist then sudo nvram -c. Next check, nvram -p, nothing was displayed. Restart, still the error is there.

I reverted back installing Niresh to try out. No improvements.  I found something about clearing the nvram using windows. Will it be effective?

As far as I know, this error window doesn't cause further trouble. It is just annoying every bootup. Please correct me.

These buttons from the guides you found don't do anything on a regular PC, nor there's a chime on start up since the physilcal chip that does all these things is absent. 

nvram.plist is no longer being used because AptioFix driver can provide native NVRAM functionality and when it doesn't find EmuVariable driver loaded, the plist to pick up nvram variables won't load either.

As a last resort to get rid of the message (which the only thing it causes is annoyance), you can try to wipe the NVRAM from BIOS update package, just add /cvar flag to it, as instructed in the SCT package for cases of encountered system slowness. 

• Like 1

These buttons from the guides you found don't do anything on a regular PC, nor there's a chime on start up since the physilcal chip that does all these things is absent. 

nvram.plist is no longer being used because AptioFix driver can provide native NVRAM functionality and when it doesn't find EmuVariable driver loaded, the plist to pick up nvram variables won't load either.

As a last resort to get rid of the message (which the only thing it causes is annoyance), you can try to wipe the NVRAM from BIOS update package, just add /cvar flag to it, as instructed in the SCT package for cases of encountered system slowness. 

got it sir. I'm enlightened about the nvram. Thanks!

I tried my theory erasing the nvram with windows. I didn't tried doing it by the command line, but just simply intalling completely windows. (I used win8).

After it finished, I reinstalled Yosemite (the original version I DLed from app store) directly. After it was done, I restarted immediately, fingers being crossed. Fortunately yes, it was gone!

I tried to install needed applications like the SCT OSX Support, skipping the profiling option. Restarted, and no error.

But Im still keeping my fingers crossed not to encounter that error again. It was certainly annoying!

I will attempt to make the 4th major step now, the boot manager. I hope I could avoid the mistake I've done before.

I'll still update whatever the outcome is.

Nevertheless, my big gratitude to you sir Timewalker. I hope I could buy you a cup of coffee, atleast.

EDIT1:

After I removed the Clover USB drive, I can't boot into Clover GUI. I'm sure I was able to encounter it before. I can't think of anything I missed.

Can you actually see the entry you've added in F12 Boot Menu ?

Try adding Shell through bcfg as well and load that from F12 to see if it works, perhaps the files are missing on the ESP partition that you are pointing the bcfg to .. when you are adding the records

I'm not yet into that sir. I'm still on the start of of step 4.

Let's just say I just finished installing Yosemite 2 mins ago. Then a few seconds ago, I just finished installing the Dell SCT OSX Support. Now, I remove the Clover USB, then restart. But only to find out there's no clover gui found. Instead it says Operating System Missing.

You have to go through the stage of adding Clover to boot menu before you can get rid of the usb drive.
I will correct the text later as it's misleading ..

Edit:

Ok the text is only partially correct...

The "Remove USB" is only applicable if you've installed on the primary hard disk, then boot manager can actually pick up EFI/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi, if you've installed on a caddy disk, then you have to keep the USB plugged in because Boot Manager won't be able to pick up the bootloader file.

Sadly, I encountered a lot of troubles.

4. Adding Clover to your F12 Boot Manager

When you have installed the Dell SCT OSX Support Package package remove your Clover USB drive, reboot your laptop and boot into Clover GUI, press F3 and start the Shell entry that has appeared. While in shell you first need to determine what is the number of file system of the EFI System Partition on your DVD caddy drive. Perform the command:

map fs*

The ESP on the GPT disk will be marked as GPT,1 and is usually either fs2 or fs3. Let's assume fs3 is ESP. We don't want the BOOT folder as it won't ever be bootable with HDD sitting in DVD caddy, so we get rid of that:

fs3:
cd \EFI
rm -r BOOT

I have a hard time understanding the technical things here related to UNIX. But I tried to use my common sense and let's see if I'm in the correct path.

when entered map fs*

I got (shortened)

fs0 on blk0 on 1,GPT

fs1 on blk1 on 2,GPT

fs2 on blk2 on 3,GPT

fs3 on blk3 on 4,GPT

The ESP on the GPT disk will be marked as GPT,1 and is usually either fs2 or fs3.

so I assume the ESP is on 1,GPT which is fs0

and to check, only fs0 and fs1 got the \EFI directory

fs3:
cd \EFI
rm -r BOOT

when I tried the rm -r BOOT

it replied...

rm/del: Unknown flag - '-r'

Exit status code: Invalid Parameter

I tried rm BOOT

it replied...

rm/del Cannot find fs0:\EFI\BOOT - Not Found

Exit status code: Not Found

same as on fs1.

I entered ls to see the directory,

on fs0 it got apple, and on fs1 it got Clover

I tried to proceed on fs1 with this code below since Clover directory is found on it.

bcfg boot add 3 fs3:\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi "Clover"

bcfg is not a recognized command.

Now that I even bcfg is not recognized, I could think that I am using the wrong Clover GUI to start with.

I'm confused now.

Im using the Clover USB to boot, the Clover don't have UI.

I can remember I encountered that Clover GUI before, I just can't remember how.

Common Sense failed. I AM VERY SORRY.