OSX on DELL Vostro 3450 / Inspiron N4110 / XPS L702x UEFI Clover

TimeWalker75a

1,149 posts in this topic

@sheepster - FWIW, the latest Clover packaged versions on SourceForge (2999-3050) continue to work just fine. (I'm actually on 3056 as i generally do a daily build) and all have been working great for me on similar HW (T420). One thing to mention perhaps, is recently the VBoxHFS driver was reworked and seems to work as well if not better than the HFSPlus.efi driver ... and in fact seems to be a tad faster. 

• Like 1

@sheepster - FWIW, the latest Clover packaged versions on SourceForge (2999-3050) continue to work just fine. (I'm actually on 3056 as i generally do a daily build) and all have been working great for me on similar HW (T420). One thing to mention perhaps, is recently the VBoxHFS driver was reworked and seems to work as well if not better than the HFSPlus.efi driver ... and in fact seems to be a tad faster. 

Thanks @tluck, I will try and update clover later, I am stuck at the version included in the package.

I can confirm that the MLB and ROM mod works, just needed a real mac. :)

Hi, I have N4110 and I want to try OS X Yosemite on my laptop but I have some questions about this guide

Here is what I have do:

1. Flash BIOS
  2. Put UEFI Clover USB contents to my first flash drive after renaming config-14.plist to config.plist and patched-14 to patched
  3. Make bootable OS X Yosemite on my second flash drive using transmac
  4. Boot from my first flash drive then UEFI Clover Shell showed

And my questions are:

1. Did I do something wrong?
  2. Is it okay to use transmac?
  3. Which flash drive should I boot first?

Thanks

Hi, I have N4110 and I want to try OS X Yosemite on my laptop but I have some questions about this guide

Here is what I have do:

1. Flash BIOS
  2. Put UEFI Clover USB contents to my first flash drive after renaming config-14.plist to config.plist and patched-14 to patched
  3. Make bootable OS X Yosemite on my second flash drive using transmac
  4. Boot from my first flash drive then UEFI Clover Shell showed

And my questions are:

1. Did I do something wrong?
  2. Is it okay to use transmac?
  3. Which flash drive should I boot first?

Thanks

How did you download the OS X Yosemite? The best way is to use a real mac (or a virtual machine) and download the official version via AppStore. And then you use a program like DiskMaker X to burn it to the USB drive.

You should boot your clover USB drive. Did you format it to Fat32? Apparently all you did "wrong" was using the transmac.

How did you download the OS X Yosemite? The best way is to use a real mac (or a virtual machine) and download the official version via AppStore. And then you use a program like DiskMaker X to burn it to the USB drive.

You should boot your clover USB drive. Did you format it to Fat32? Apparently all you did "wrong" was using the transmac.

Sorry, my fault

I downloaded the wrong .dmg, but I manage to solve it with Transmac using Yosemite by niresh

I skipped the fourth step and nothing happen, I can boot normally to OS X

When I tried using Official Yosemite from App Store, I always get stuck on black screen with apple logo and progress bar

But now I'm facing a new problem, how to make wireless card work?

I've installed Dell Wireless 1702 from DELL SCT OSX Support Package then install airportatheros40.kext using kext utility, but it seems not work for me

Sorry, my fault

I downloaded the wrong .dmg, but I manage to solve it with Transmac using Yosemite by niresh

I skipped the fourth step and nothing happen, I can boot normally to OS X

When I tried using Official Yosemite from App Store, I always get stuck on black screen with apple logo and progress bar

But now I'm facing a new problem, how to make wireless card work?

I've installed Dell Wireless 1702 from DELL SCT OSX Support Package then install airportatheros40.kext using kext utility, but it seems not work for me

The problem with that distro is that it contains some custom adjustments in order to work with a hackintosh. Some things may not work (like your wifi), mostly because of kext conflict. There is I need for installing new kexts after the package.

I have faced the same problem using the official Yosemite. I managed to instal it using the option Load Video Bios in Clover. Please try and use only the official installer to avoid compatibility issues with our package.

The problem with that distro is that it contains some custom adjustments in order to work with a hackintosh. Some things may not work (like your wifi), mostly because of kext conflict. There is I need for installing new kexts after the package.

I have faced the same problem using the official Yosemite. I managed to instal it using the option Load Video Bios in Clover. Please try and use only the official installer to avoid compatibility issues with our package.

Finally I can do every steps on the op with official installer

But still no luck with wireless card

I tried using AirToggle for enabling wifi, but it said no hardware installed

Finally I can do every steps on the op with official installer

But still no luck with wireless card

I tried using AirToggle for enabling wifi, but it said no hardware installed

make sure you have a compatible wireless card, the card that comes with n4110 isn't supported.

Thanks so much for this thread and your hard work getting these models up and running so easily. I have the L702X and it's running really well with your files. Cheers! :)

Just had a couple of questions;  I noticed that the mute key doesn't work for me, although volume up and down work fine, is this a known issue? Also, I was wondering if you would be able to add support for the Broadcom BCM94352HMB Combo (AzureWave CE123H) to your installer? It would make a nice AC card addition and is capable of supporting hand off etc. I've had limited success getting it up and running fully, although this is probably just a gap in my knowledge. I can get it to see the 5GHz band, but bluetooth (and thus Airdrop and Handoff) aren't working...

More info is here http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2925-bluetooth-firmware-uploader/ and https://github.com/toleda/wireless_half-mini/tree/master/airport_kext_enabler

Has anyone else had luck with this card?

Merry Chrsitmas, everyone. 

Thanks so much for this thread and your hard work getting these models up and running so easily. I have the L702X and it's running really well with your files. Cheers! :)

Just had a couple of questions;  I noticed that the mute key doesn't work for me, although volume up and down work fine, is this a known issue? Also, I was wondering if you would be able to add support for the Broadcom BCM94352HMB Combo (AzureWave CE123H) to your installer? It would make a nice AC card addition and is capable of supporting hand off etc. I've had limited success getting it up and running fully, although this is probably just a gap in my knowledge. I can get it to see the 5GHz band, but bluetooth (and thus Airdrop and Handoff) aren't working...

More info is here http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2925-bluetooth-firmware-uploader/ and https://github.com/toleda/wireless_half-mini/tree/master/airport_kext_enabler

Has anyone else had luck with this card?

Cool, another happy XPS user.

The problem with AW-CE123H card is that it requires firmware uploader for bluetooth to work, which is closed source and doesn't work the same for everyone for reasons unknown.. so I'm not very keen on the idea of including support for this card. On top of that, for 5GHz band to work patches are required which change with every OS release (same as handoff/continuity patches) and this breaks the *update-proof* concept of the package. 

P.S. I have picked up a macbook, which means two things:

1. I may have dedicate less manhours to this project in the future, but I will still be maintaining it because I don't plan to get rid of my Vostro (despite it's many flaws)

2. I will have a descent reference to fine-tune certain things on Tiano platforms as updates progresses. 

Unfortunately, my HDD caddy decided to {censored} up on me when I was reseating the hard drive after transferring data.. and since I'm not willing to dismantle the entire laptop to put the disk as the primary drive, I'm temporary out of business in terms of running OSX on my Vostro. Hopefully new caddy will arrive promptly, though with holidays it might take some time. 

Merry Chrsitmas, everyone. 

Cool, another happy XPS user.

The problem with AW-CE123H card is that it requires firmware uploader for bluetooth to work, which is closed source and doesn't work the same for everyone for reasons unknown.. so I'm not very keen on the idea of including support for this card. On top of that, for 5GHz band to work patches are required which change with every OS release (same as handoff/continuity patches) and this breaks the *update-proof* concept of the package. 

P.S. I have picked up a macbook, which means two things:

1. I may have dedicate less manhours to this project in the future, but I will still be maintaining it because I don't plan to get rid of my Vostro (despite it's many flaws)

2. I will have a descent reference to fine-tune certain things on Tiano platforms as updates progresses. 

Unfortunately, my HDD caddy decided to {censored} up on me when I was reseating the hard drive after transferring data.. and since I'm not willing to dismantle the entire laptop to put the disk as the primary drive, I'm temporary out of business in terms of running OSX on my Vostro. Hopefully new caddy will arrive promptly, though with holidays it might take some time. 

Ahh, I see - makes sense. I've been using an Atheros 5416 that I got out of a MB which was great in my old hack (have just migrated from an Asus G73SW because Asus SUCK A LOT) but now I'm back with good old Dell. For the XPS the WWAN PCIE slot works fine, all I needed to do was extend the antenna cables slightly so they would reach. I found that one of my other laptops had the AW card in it so thought I'd give it a whirl but I'll probably stick with the MB card for now, as it just works OTB then grab a BCM94360CD and adaptor when I get a mo. It needs additional antennas but these are easily added.. might try it without them first.

Belated Christmas wishes by the way :)

EDIT:

Sorry I know this is off topic, but if anyone in the UK is interested in this:

eBay items:

Adaptor: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mini-PCI-E-Adapter-for-BCM94360CD-BCM94331CD-52-Pin-/281489801627?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_InterfaceCards&hash=item418a19819b

Card (BCM94360CD) is: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Apple-Broadcom-802-11AC-BCM94360CD-Wifi-Bluetooth-4-0-Wireless-Card-FT-/321615567344?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_InterfaceCards&hash=item4ae1c819f0

According to this: http://www.osxwifi.com/apple-broadcom-bcm94360cd-802-11-a-b-g-n-ac-bluetooth-4-0-with-adapter-for-pc-hackintosh the card just works with everything. I wouldn't buy from that site though! :shock:

I have been using the BCM94360CD on my XPS L702X and it works without any patching.

Nice. Have got one ordered. Thanks for confirming :-) Did you already have the WWAN antennas in yours? Mine doesn't have them, presumably because it didn't ship with a cellular card so they didn't bother adding the antenna for it. Only the 2 for the WLAN. I extended these for the Atheros card but the BCM94360CD needs 4. I was thinking of grabbing a WWAN antenna on eBay as it has 3 wires.

EDIT: Also, has anyone had any success with the display port? I've just tried it this morning because I ordered a display port to HDMI adapter which arrived. I've tried it with it plugged in at boot and once the system is booted but I get no output and no recognition of the external display in the pref pane. Am I missing something?

Actually I ordered a new back cover which had 5 antennas. 3 for Wifi, 1 for BT and 1 for WWAN. I also ordered the extension cables to extend 2 of the cables.

As for DP, all the external ports are connected to nVidia Optimus card. The Intel framebuffer only shows 1 port in DPCI manager. 

I tried DP port also.. With editing the connector table and on cold boot, pc saw the monitor as a tv, but there was no connection between then and the graphics were really laggy, maybe just the coinsidence that the tv was shown. The mute button also doesn't work on laptop. It shows that the mute is activated, but the sound stays the same. 

@webcivilian, what adapter are you using with your BCM94360CD? The one I ordered appears to need additional power. In Mac OS it's not shown at all and under windows it's shown in device manager although still not working but there is also a PCI hub which is not working. The adapter came with a supplementary power cable 'if required' I guess it does... Or did you just find a 5v feed and hook it up?

I'm using the same adapter but as far as I remember it didn't came with an cable for power. It should work OOB if this is what you bought as per your post.: Adaptor: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item418a19819b

Check you BIOS settings and make sure the WWAN port is enable. You can also put your current Wifi card in the adapter and see if it works or not. It could be a bad adapter or a bad Wifi card.

Thanks for the info. That's the same adapter by the looks of it.

WWAN slot is on. That's where my current card is installed, I extended the wires to reach.

As you've suggested, it's most likely a faulty adapter, but just wanted to double check before I contact the seller. :-)

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up - I'm alive and well :)

I have decided to clean the dust of off my Dell and update it with the latest revisions of everything. Surprisingly, there wasn't much to update. No kext/acpi patches to rewrite ..

To sum up:

- updated codeccommander just because .. since @darkvoid has helped refactor the code

- updated hwsensors kexts just because, no updates that would affect us.

- spotted a bug in new hwmonitor that would prevent fan sensors from being displayed .. fixed the code & recompiled

- updated clover to rev3167 (cutting out stupid startup text); make sure to remove all unneeded *.aml tables from /patched if you keep backups there

- battery and keyboard kext recompiled with newer sdk, that's it .. no code changes

- added missing ACID key to FakeSMC

- reverted SwapDoubleTriple to NO for touchpad, because I got used to 2 finger right click on Macbook .. 

not enough changes to post an updated package, so just throwing in a zip:

revised_files_tiano_08-02-15.zip

10.10.3 beta - snappy as usual. 

P.S. For some reason had to sudo nvram boot-args="slide=0 kext-dev-mode=1" because slide wasn't setting resulting in screen tearing (artifacts). 

Someone here that can help me? I'm almost done with my boot loader configuration. I have a Dell XPS 15 (L502x) which is almost identical to the non-3D Dell XPS 17 (L702x). Now the only thing not working at the moment is my audio, codec is ALC665 (same as L702x). I've patched my DSDT and applied the given patches provided for Clovers' KextsToPatch method. But then what? I have no clue where to look right now. My audio is still broken. Do I need a patched AppleHDA? Something with my pin-configuration? I don't know where to seek anymore. Could someone explain to me what steps I actually have to do to get my audio working while still keeping my install vanilla? Any help is appreciated! :)

Hey TW - good to hear from you. I was periodically git pulling your hub to see if you had any updates :) 

Yes I had also manually re-patched HWmonitor as on the previous compile I lost fan speed, thought it was specific to my machine. Sounds like you have a new Mac - congrats. I'm personally waiting for the Skylake chipsets to come out on the xps range to make the upgrade, in the meantime am soldiering on with the L511z...

Quick question; have you ever encountered random KPs with the IntelHD3000Graphics kext? I have it occasionally when resuming from sleep and/or blank screen mode. Could be a DSDT thing or else something endemic to the Intel chipset, seems like some Macbook users have the same issue but can't find anything specific...