OSX on DELL Vostro 3450 / Inspiron N4110 / XPS L702x UEFI Clover

TimeWalker75a

1,149 posts in this topic

Same as 3550, the 3350 has completely different BIOS (Insyde H20, I'm not even sure its unlocked and UEFI capable) - so every carefully crafted DSDT patch goes down the drain, completely different audio codec - all audio solutions out of the way as well .. and different keyboard in terms of WMI implementation, so no.. sorry. This guide is valid for 3750 though as its virtually the same machine as 3450 only with 17" and an added secondary HDD feature.

Support added for Inspiron 14R (N4110) AMD Switchable Graphics model, which in hand means support for Vostro AMD model as well.

Posted in the original post is the modified custom BIOS of version A12 that includes:

- Unlocked write access to MSR 0xE2 - credits to RevoGirl;

- Unlocked Advanced Setup options (includes UEFI Boot option) - credits to jkbuha, HairyCube and myself;

- Video BIOS for Intel updated from 2098 to 2158 with GOP protocol support (bring 1366x768 resolution to GUI)

Modified BIOS A12: LINK

The post install files package for 14R includes:

* UEFI Clover USB for OEM Board 03NKW8 (perhaps Vostro AMD model uses same id, someone can confirm?)

- Clover updated to r2260

- No prepatched DSDT here, same as for Vostro, everything done through SSDT and Clover patches

- AMD Switchable Graphics disabled with PEG0._INI method calling for ^PEGP._OFF () in SSDT-2.aml

- HWSensors monitoring supported same as on Vostro - SSDT-1.aml is used for that

- No pre-coded SSDT for CpuPm, enabled Generate P and C states in Clover config.plist

- Dell's MBT device check by _OSI is fixed by DSDT patch, on Vostor this is fixed at BIOS level

- Added @Zeniths's USB3.0 patches for NEC Renesas controller, no additional kexts required

- Config includes custom EDID to fix screen artifacts (thanks to @Zprood).

* Files for /System

- Created custom com.apple.macbookpro-13-unibody icon to install into CoreTypes.bundle for Profiler customization

53Wt8.png

- Added @Zprood's DisplayVendorID-6af:DisplayProductID-183c display override to support more scaled resolution and fix screen panel name in System Profiler

- Extensions with Platform Profile option have been updated to include Inspiron 14R 03NKW8 board

- Network kext has been swapped for one that supports onboard RTL8136 controller. This comes from Realtek official page (RTG NIC 2.0.6) and will probably require you to set Configuration mode to manual. IF you experience sleep/wake issue remove this kext to see if it is the cause of the problem.

UEFI Clover & post install files: LINK

Get the rest of the files for this guide from Vostro package.

Update (11/01/13):

If your 14R has AMD 6470M graphics rename OEM 03NKW8 folder to 0WVPMX.

If your 14R has AMD 6630M graphics then keep the name as is.

Update (01/01/14):

If your 14R is an Intel-only model rename OEM 0YW3P2 folder to 05TM8C.

With this VoodooPS2Controller can not shine through the multimedia key and the function does not disable the touchpad.

you should take a look about rehabman's voodoops2controller github guide. i give some advice about it. if you use TW's kext, add your board-id under Dell's alias, or you take stock one from rehabman.

1. for brightness key work, install TW's IOWMIController from his guide. then mod dsdt like this( DO IT BOTH _Q80 method and _Q81):

before:

If (LEqual (OSYS, 0x07D6))
  {
     //......//
       If (PWRS)
                            {
                                Store (Local0, BRGA)
                            }
                            Else
                            {
                                Store (Local0, BRGD)
                            }

Store (0x03, ^^^^AMW0.INF0)
                            Store (Zero, ^^^^AMW0.INF1)
                            Store (0xE006, ^^^^AMW0.INF2)
                            Store (Local0, ^^^^AMW0.INF3)
                            If (LEqual (DMFG, Zero))
                            {
                                Notify (AMW0, 0xD0)
                            }
           //....//
}

after:

If (LEqual (OSYS, 0x07D6))
   {
      //......//
   }

If (PWRS)
     {
       Store (Local0, BRGA)
      }
        Else
     {
       Store (Local0, BRGD)
       }
        Store (0x03, ^^^^AMW0.INF0)
        Store (Zero, ^^^^AMW0.INF1)
        Store (0xE006, ^^^^AMW0.INF2)
       Store (Local0, ^^^^AMW0.INF3)
       If (LEqual (DMFG, Zero))
      {
            Notify (AMW0, 0xD0)
       }

2. for disable touchpad from TW's voodoops2controller, you can use PrintScr key to do that, because his remap fn+f3 to PrintScr key. one more thing, you can have it back to Fn+F3, just remap it twice in the custom ps2 map, like:

e01e=e037
e037=e01e 

e01e is scan code of Fn+F3, e037 is PrintScr.

@TW, i think i should say great work this time.  ;) 

• Like 1

With this VoodooPS2Controller can not shine through the multimedia key and the function does not disable the touchpad.

Sorry, I think that aliases don't seem to work in VoodooPS2, just copy vostro's custom profile and name it 03NKW8.

Attached is a modified kext that should hopefully work. Brightness keys are commanded through WMI, so you need an extra extension.

VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip

I can use this bios with Vostro 3550 ?

NO! Can't you read? 

BIOS images are meant only for Dell Vostro 3450 and Inspiron 14R (both Intel model and AMD Switchable Graphics models) and no other!

And same question has been answered in this thread already.

@Zprood, no need to modify anything, it should work as is.

Either you have installed an original unmodified driver that won't work for new generation of Dell laptops or you have no DSDT patch applied for this kext to attach. You have to see this in IOReg ..

54Y8h.png

if this is absent then something is clearly wrong. I gave you all the files to have a completely working OSX install, I've even written a manual and yet you ask questions that have answers in this thread.

It's not disabled and this can be the cause of default WMI brightness controls failing for you.

Your IOReg also shows AMD as still being active: http://puu.sh/553Gc.png

Your PtidTabl and Cpu0Ist tables are not dropped, whilst they should have been with the config I have provided for 14R.

And you obviously didn't follow the guide even in a slightest bit, because you have a custom SSDT table loaded for VOSTRO and not 14R, so this table doesn't have AMD graphics disabling code and to add to that it has IGPU injection which can't be used on 14R because SgRef table already has _DSM method for GFX0 (IGPU) and Clover DropOEM_DSM is unable to drop it properly.

I believe that these tables are set up for me 14R. I do not understand why the graphics card not being disabled because the method is already implemented in SSDT-2 Scope (\ _SB.PCI0.PEG0). SSDT-3 I extracted the script Revogirl. Actually I had not put this method before and now put, and now my audio and wifi does not work. One detail that is present now in the ioreg GFX0, Please find attached files.

config.plist.zip

patched.zip

ioreg GFX0.zip

It's not disabled and this can be the cause of default WMI brightness controls failing for you.

Your IOReg also shows AMD as still being active: http://puu.sh/553Gc.png

Your PtidTabl and Cpu0Ist tables are not dropped, whilst they should have been with the config I have provided for 14R.

And you obviously didn't follow the guide even in a slightest bit, because you have a custom SSDT table loaded for VOSTRO and not 14R, so this table doesn't have AMD graphics disabling code and to add to that it has IGPU injection which can't be used on 14R because SgRef table already has _DSM method for GFX0 (IGPU) and Clover DropOEM_DSM is unable to drop it properly.

Can you explain what is the role of PtidTabl? Should we really drop it?