nForce OS X Mavericks (10.9) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

181 posts in this topic

It is a number arrived at by Nick Savage, following extended testing, as explained here......it probably relates to a RAM addressing issue with the nForce chipset and all OS X AppleNForceATA.kexts, as 3.5 GB is the transition from 32 bit to 64 bit memory addressing via Physical Address Extension (PAE) on x86 CPUs.....the exact limit depends on the MOBO and the I/O device configuration, varying between 2.75 to 3.5 GB as explained for Windows here....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi verdant, I have a striker II extreme (nForce 790i I think), Q9550, GTX280 and 4GB of RAM.

I'm trying to install Os x on this setup, but honestly....I'm finding it overwhelming. I need the SO to complete my college assingments on iOS development.

I've managed to create bootable usb of mavericks and install it, retail and niresh, but I cant make the OS boot, I think is due to my MOBO not supporting AHCI. I'm stucked in the "Still waiting for root device" error. I'm trying to use this guide but I'm frustrated since I dont really understand which part applies to my problem or my specific setup, and having problems to understand some of the steps.

There is a way a noobie like me could achieve this? Or Im better thinking of giving up with this?

Thank you anyway and sorry for my english.

Hi verdant, I have a striker II extreme (nForce 790i I think), Q9550, GTX280 and 4GB of RAM.

I'm trying to install Os x on this setup, but honestly....I'm finding it overwhelming. I need the SO to complete my college assingments on iOS development.

I've managed to create bootable usb of mavericks and install it, retail and niresh, but I cant make the OS boot, I think is due to my MOBO not supporting AHCI. I'm stucked in the "Still waiting for root device" error. I'm trying to use this guide but I'm frustrated since I dont really understand which part applies to my problem or my specific setup, and having problems to understand some of the steps.

There is a way a noobie like me could achieve this? Or Im better thinking of giving up with this?

Thank you anyway and sorry for my english.

You need applenforceata.imk64bit.kext in /extra/extensions.

Ok, sorry for the silly question, I've manage to do so and get out of many troubles after that, but now I'm really stuck.

Booting the USB in verbose mode stops at AppleKeyStore starting (Built : Jun...blablabla)

I'm trying with/out nvidia kexts, putting dsdt in extras, put FileNVRAM in Extras/modules and all sort of combinations of steps I have not taken literally from the guide since I didn't find the files or didn't find clear where to put them (a few ones only). No success so far.

with -x it stops at: Kernel-_SYMTAB not a kext

@ Kilowatt

It is generally not a good idea to mix installation methods.

See here for the SYMTAB message....

My advice is to keep your Chameleon boot loader setup as simple as possible:

In Extra: 

nvram.xxxxxxxx.plist
org.chameleon.Boot.plist
smbios.plist

In modules: FileNVRAM.dylib

Kexts:

Non-Apple kexts in /System/Library/Extensions:

FakeSMC.kext
EvOreboot.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext 

AppleRTC.Mavericks.Patched.kext

AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

AD1998b.FIX.kext                           (alternatively use as  I do currently, oldnapalm's AD1988b version VoodooHDA.kext)

nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext

DSDT:

Put DSDT.aml in / or in /Extra

I'm trying other simplier methods to install mavericks, since I've bought a PCIe to SATA III adapter. If I get to successfully install it, Can I place those kexts after installation?

I would have to place them in the HDD instead right? I have to do something more? Would them works just placing them in those directories from the main HDD where mavericks is installed?

Thank You

You need to

(1) Install the Chameleon bootloader onto the hard drive containing your new installed OS X system

(2) Put your DSDT.aml in / or in /Extra of your OS X system on the hard drive

(3) Put these non-Apple kexts in /System/Library/Extensions:

FakeSMC.kext
EvOreboot.kext

AD1998b.FIX.kext                           (alternatively use as  I do currently, oldnapalm's AD1988b version VoodooHDA.kext)
nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext

and then repair kext ownership and permissions for /System/Library/Extensions as follows

ownwership and permissions of /S/L/E/ via Terminal:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
exit

Then go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and delete these files within Startup….

IOKitPersonalities_i386.ioplist.gz
IOKitPersonalities_x86_64.ioplist.gz
kernelcache
KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_i386.plist.gz
KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_x86_64.plist.gz

(4) Reboot the new installed OS X system on your hard drive.

Thank you so much for helping me Verdant. I've managed to install vanilla + UB version of mavericks, then I used kext wizard to install every kext you suggested but nforceATA, since I dont really need the onboard controller to manage my SATA disks anymore. Then I used MB to install MacPro 3 plist and chimera with a theme, and now is booting perfectly by itself, really quick without nforceATA kext.

I have not placed files in modules or the dsdt.aml in root or extra but I like what I have now. Do you think is really necessary to do so? What would I improve? Is there any risk of making my system worst in the process?

Right now I'm struggling with W8-EOS-OSX multiboot, what a nightmare.

PD: I see the quote of the tools I used is forbbiden, sorry for that.

@ Kilowatt

Glad to help......:)

Read post #4 and #5 to see what using a DSDT.aml file can achieve, e.g. OS X power management to enable lower CPU core temperatures etc. Use modules if they help you.....e.g. FileNVRAM.dylib to enable logging into iMessage etc......

Hi verdant, first of all thank's for this great guide. I finally managed to install 10.9.4 (GBR-Partition) on my (old) System. The two problems I have are the following:

1: I can restart the system without any problems, if I shut down the system I have to reset the cmos (jumper or remove battery) in order to start up again. Otherwise the fans go on, but I don't get any BIOS messages or beeps, just a black screen. The Win7 System also installed on a different HD does not have this problem. In a first install I first used the patched appleRTC kext for mavericks and later created a dsdt file - there I completed the first part - changing Device RTC 004 to 002. In a second install I patched the original AppleRTC but it doesn't change anything. My MOBO is a Asus P5N32-e SLI with BIOS Version 1404. Updating the BIOS results in not being able to start from the HD or the USB device - the system halts on "fix applekeystore starting". I tried different boot flags but nothing works.

2: I have a TP-Link Wifi Card (TL WN951N) I managed to patch the IO80211Family.kext (version 21) so my Card is recognized but I can't connect to networks. I do see the network, but I just can't connect. If I swith of WPA2 then I can connect but the system freezes. I tried different combinations also using the AtheroFix.kext without success. The wifi card has the vendor ID pci168c and the device ID 0029 (AR922x).

I had to remove the AppleIntelPowerManagement.kext after the first part of the install via Terminal due to a Kernel Panic (http://www.niresh.co/page/osx86.html/hackintosh/articles/fix-no-hpets-available-kernel-extension-in-backtrace-comappledriverappleintelcpupowermanagement) and had to install the AppleNForceATA.kext because of the still waiting for device error. But besides this I followed your guide up to the creation of the dsdt.aml file.

I really don't know what else I can try. Thank's for your advice and help.

@ Q6600_First_Try

Glad you like the guide...... :)

In reverse order:

2. Try to get your TL WN951N working on WPA2 with this IO80211Family.kext in S/L/E: TP-LINK-WN951N verdant.zip

Repair kext ownership and permissions for /System/Library/Extensions as follows

exit

Then go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and delete these files within Startup….

kernelcache

Reboot the new installed OS X system on your hard drive.

But you need to connect via WiFi rather than Ethernet cable, then get an inexpensive RTL8192CU chipset WiFi 802.11b/g/n USB adapter: e.g. USB2.0 2T2R RTL8192 11n WiFi Wireless 300M 300Mbps Adapter antenna dongle and download these drivers: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=277&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true

Otherwise, to use onboard LAN Ethernet, install nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext in /S/L/E

1. Check that you have the 680i BIOS parameters set for OS X using my template: Pre_Series7_nForce_Chipset_BIOS_SettingsV2.pdf

Have you put these non-Apple kexts in /System/Library/Extensions:

FakeSMC.kext
EvOreboot.kext

AD1998b.FIX.kext                           (alternatively use as  I do currently, oldnapalm's AD1988b version VoodooHDA.kext)
nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext

If not, then do so and repair kext ownership and permissions for /System/Library/Extensions as follows

exit

kernelcache

Reboot the new installed OS X system on your hard drive.

If you still have issues, then you may need to re-flash to an earlier version BIOS - check out Asus Forums for Asus P5N32-e SLI BIOS versions and flashing etc.

See here for what I did with my Asus P5N32-e SLI Plus.

Hi verdant,

i'm using the pc desktop in the signature, i have chipset GeForce 7100 and Southbridge nForce 630i. My Bios has Sata mode locked to Raid and i can't change, but i know that Ahci is supported. But i don't see my hard disk in disk utility, i tried with your guide for create a usb installer, i tried the kexts, but i never see my hdd. Can you help me? Thanks

Hi verdant,

first of all thank's  for your fast reply! 

The IO80211Family.kext allows me now to connect to a wpa2 network, but the system freezes after connecting. I read in a other forum that this could be because of router settings. I will try different settings and post my results here as soon as I figured it out. Just one question. I looked at the patched file. You entered the vendor and device ID at a certain spot. Does this make the difference here? In my not working .kext I just inserted the vendor and device ID at the beginning of the array.

The problem with shutdown still occurs. I couldn't yet downgrade the bios because the asus bios flash tool in the bios doesn't allow me too... I have to get a new USB Stick for this and do it in DOS...

Could it be, that a DSDT file would solve the problem without downgrading the bios? And with a patched DSDT file I would then need to use the vanilla AppleRTC.kext or?

When I upgrade the bios (any newer version) I get the error applekeystore starting. I can't even boot from the USB Device. Is there a workaround I could do to the running system before I upgrade the bios to avoid this error after upgrading?

Thank's again!

@ Q6600_First_Try

I added the Device ID 29 after Device ID 24 but it should not matter.

But note I inserted the Device ID into the AirPortAtheros40.kext used in Mavericks (not AirPortAtheros21.kext, which I guess you added your Device ID to....?)

Extract your dsdt.dsl file using Windows 7 and give me a download link for it and when I have time I will look at it for you.

@ alboz83

Check that you have the 680i BIOS parameters set for OS X using my template:   Pre_Series7_nForce_Chipset_BIOS_SettingsV2.pdf

Also read NOTA BENE 2: here.....and here....

Edited by verdant

Hello verdant,

I think I found the solution... :thumbsup_anim:  The problem was caused by the patched AppleRTC.kext or AppleRTC.Mavericks.Patched.kext. I replaced it by the original AppleRTC.kext and the system boots perfectly after shutdown. This means that I will have to fix my (create) a dsdt file. I will extract the file tomorrow and post a download link. Please don't worry and take your time. I'm just so glad that I can finally close the case and boot without the need of clearing cmos every time with the jumper on the mainboard  :) .

Thank's again for your help and support! This is really great!

Hi verdant,

I extracted the dsdt.dsl file from my OS X system - sorry for the question, but I can't upload the file. Can you give me a hint on how I can grant you access to the file. After a couple of boot tests I am quite happy that the system boots after shutdown. The only error is a cmos checksum error at the startup. F1 and everything works on as it should. I think this is the error the patched appleRTC.kext should fix. Otherwise everything works except Wifi - but I will figure this out somehow.

Can I upgrade the system with another 4GB RAM or will this cause new problems?

Thank's for your help!

@ Q6600_First_Try

Upload it to sendspace and pm me the download link.....also as Google is your friend for everything, install and run (i) DPCI Manager or lspci for OS X and send me the output text file and (ii) IORegistryExplorer and use "Save a Copy As" to save your IOReg output as a "Username"Mac Pro.ioreg file, then send me a download link for this file, lspci output file, and your DSDT.aml file....

Hi, verdant!

Back to bother you! :) I can't upgrade from 10.9.4 to 10.9.5, my system does update but after the reboot I get a KP with IOHDAFamily.kext, IOGraphicsFamily.kext and IOAudioFamily.kext, so I boot in safe mode, delete then and...no more OSX on my machine, when booting it hangs out with an error message, "support for the server has been deprecated (prep) or a cs_invalid_page googlesoftwareup! Any ideia, my friend? And, as also, thank you in advance!

Hi Fred,

Have you tried booting in safe mode and running OSXUpdCombo10.9.4.dmg, and then repairing permissions before doing a normal system boot......?

Also, had you set up OS X to automatically attempt to connect to a local shared network.....?

Hi Fred,

Have you tried booting in safe mode and running OSXUpdCombo10.9.4.dmg, and then repairing permissions before doing a normal system boot......?

Also, had you set up OS X to automatically attempt to connect to a local shared network.....?

Hi again!

I think you meant OSXUpdCombo10.9.5! :) I've downloaded it but, before trying it out, let me just get this clear: when you say "set up OS X to automatically attempt to connect to a local shared network" you mean that it has DHCP enabled?It is! And I only use ethernet port and it's configured in Network/Hardware as automatic. 

Thanks, you've been the best! And I'm waiting for the 10.10... ;)

Hi Fred,

I did mean OSXUpdCombo10.9.4.dmg, so that you can check if your attempt at updating to 10.9.5 is actually recognized by seeing if OSXUpdCombo10.9.4.dmg says it cannot be run when in Safe Mode......if it can run, then run it in Safe Mode and repair OS X permissions, and then run OSXUpdCombo10.9.5.dmg again in Safe Mode and again repair permissions......

The 'Support for the server SERVER_NAME has been deprecated (PreXP)' message suggests the system was trying to connect to a server while booting but cannot.....hence my question........see for example here.....?

Hi Fred,

I did mean OSXUpdCombo10.9.4.dmg, so that you can check if your attempt at updating to 10.9.5 is actually recognized by seeing if OSXUpdCombo10.9.4.dmg says it cannot be run when in Safe Mode......if it can run, then run it in Safe Mode and repair OS X permissions, and then run OSXUpdCombo10.9.5.dmg again in Safe Mode and again repair permissions......

The 'Support for the server SERVER_NAME has been deprecated (PreXP)' message suggests the system was trying to connect to a server while booting but cannot.....hence my question........see for example here.....?

Ok, my mistake, then, I'll try to do it like that, first 10.9.4, the fix permissions, then 10.9.5! About the server it's an IPTV box that it is not accessible ever, but i'll try it out! Thank you for your patience and time wasted with a learner! :) As soon as I have tried everything out I'll let you know!

Hi Fred,

I would recommend disconnecting the IPTV box when updating OS X from 10.9.4 to 10.9.5, in case it is interfering with a clean OS X update because OS  X is trying to connect to it without success.....