Question about Dual Booting and secondary SATA controller

3 posts in this topic

Hi there,

so I am preparing my boot setup and have a question with booting several OS on separate drives. I will be using either the R4E or one of the WS boards from Asus.

So, especially when I want to have an emergeny partition I am under the impression that it would be better to install OS X and windows 7 on two separate drives. Now, with doing this I would need three SATA III ports (additional data SSD, but no RAID). But of course with the X79 chipset I only have two "native" Intel SATA III ports. Since the windows installation is not that important for me, the plan is to attach both OS X and Data SSDs to the (more performant and reliable?) intel port, and boot Windows from a "non native" SATA III port. (ASMedia or Marvel Controller, depending on the selected board)

Now the question: would this setup cause any problems, with one bootable SSD hooked to the secondary controller?

It is possible that OS X will not be able to "see" the Windows HDD (or any other HDD/ODD attached to the non Intel controller), since the non Intel controller may have no support in OS X (no drivers). Sure it depends on the exact controller model used in the board...

IMO

It is possible that OS X will not be able to "see" the Windows HDD (or any other HDD/ODD attached to the non Intel controller), since the non Intel controller may have no support in OS X (no drivers). Sure it depends on the exact controller model used in the board...

Oh, thanks for the heads up - this would be quite important, since the Windows drive will also double as a paralells VM.

The boards I mentioned have the following 3rd party controllers:

R4E: ASMedia

WS-E: Marvel 9230 and ASMedia

WS: Marvel 9128

Will these all work in OS X?