[Guide] OSX Mavericks 10.9 on MSI Haswell GT70-2oD, GT60-2oD, GT60 2oc Barebone GT70, Barebone GT60 [Updated August 2014]

slayer2333

84 posts in this topic

I will send you some updated files for clover so it may help you.  The only thing that prevented me from booting with 10.9.1 was that i forgot to install FakeSmc.kext.

Did you have a chance to send the updated files yet?  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, There's nothing attached to your post but i know that our lappy doesn't boot with 10.9.2 unless you replace the Nvidia kexts (all of them) with the ones from 10.9.1.  You can extract them from the 10.9.1 package using pacifist then overwrite the ones you have now using any kext installer.

Hello

Did you succeed in updating to 10.9.2? I've stuck on logon screen. Can you give some advice.

I also try to make clean install 10.9.2 - now way to boot installer

Did you have a chance to send the updated files yet?  Thanks!

Check your PM i sent you a link for Clover a while ago, test it and let me know so that i can safely upload it here.

Hello

Did you succeed in updating to 10.9.2? I've stuck on logon screen. Can you give some advice.

I also try to make clean install 10.9.2 - now way to boot installer

For 10.9.2 you need to remove all Nvidia Kexts and replace them with the ones from 10.9.1 to get it work.  Since you already installed it you can remove the nvidia kext from Windows (using a software like Macdrive) or delete them in terminal from your installation screen.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone..This is my first post and I'm preparing my first hachintosh.

I've followed some of your instructions (thank you slayer2333) and others and finally I've installed Mavericks 10.9.4 on my MSI GT70 20D-1212XES (http://es.msi.com/product/nb/GT70_2OD.html#specification). I think is almost the same model as your GT70 20D but with spanish keyboard.

I've not modified my BIOS, because I modified mach_kernel and it worked for me.

But I have some doubts I hope some of you can solve:

1- I understand it's possible to have my Killer e2200 ethernet running (and I have it now) but it's impossible to have my native WIFI running. Am I right?

2- I can't boot OSX installation or Mavericks on my laptop until I use -x maxmem=4096. How can I use my 8GB of RAM? If I don't use "maxmem" param, boot stops when mac logo appears.

3- I can't set a resolution higher than 1024x768 (And I think I'm using intel HD as a main VGA). Why is this happening?

4- It's possible to have Nvidia GTX 780M fully running? According to iMac specs, 780M is used and working on some models(https://www.apple.com/en/imac/specs/)

5- I need to use USB keyboard and mouse because laptop keyboard and mouse are not working on OSX. Is there any kext that solve this issue?

Right now I'm trying to have my sound card running... I'm trying installing your kext.

Once done I'll try to fix my issues if you can help me :)

Thank you.

Hello everyone..This is my first post and I'm preparing my first hachintosh.

I've followed some of your instructions (thank you slayer2333) and others and finally I've installed Mavericks 10.9.4 on my MSI GT70 20D-1212XES (http://es.msi.com/product/nb/GT70_2OD.html#specification). I think is almost the same model as your GT70 20D but with spanish keyboard.

I've not modified my BIOS, because I modified mach_kernel and it worked for me.

But I have some doubts I hope some of you can solve:

1- I understand it's possible to have my Killer e2200 ethernet running (and I have it now) but it's impossible to have my native WIFI running. Am I right?

2- I can't boot OSX installation or Mavericks on my laptop until I use -x maxmem=4096. How can I use my 8GB of RAM? If I don't use "maxmem" param, boot stops when mac logo appears.

3- I can't set a resolution higher than 1024x768 (And I think I'm using intel HD as a main VGA). Why is this happening?

4- It's possible to have Nvidia GTX 780M fully running? According to iMac specs, 780M is used and working on some models(https://www.apple.com/en/imac/specs/)

5- I need to use USB keyboard and mouse because laptop keyboard and mouse are not working on OSX. Is there any kext that solve this issue?

Right now I'm trying to have my sound card running... I'm trying installing your kext.

Once done I'll try to fix my issues if you can help me :)

Thank you.

Hi, to answer your questions (i will update this guide soon to include new solutions for most remaining issues):

1- There is no way to get the native WIFI working, only solution is to get a replacement. 

2-Weird issue that you are having with RAM.  I always perform my Mavericks/Yosemite DPs installations with my 8 Gig of RAM without any issues.  Try to install using clover.

3- Check in your 'About' section for the graphic cards.  Check if there are loaded kexts for your IntelHD 4600.

Except the wrong resolution, do you have full QE/CI  (like translucent top bar) ? If yes, try to add this to your Chameleon boot args

Graphics Mode=1920x1080x32

4- Its not possible (and probably will never be) possible to get fully functional 780m GTX.  Apple uses different switching technology than optimus.

5- What i use for Keyboard/Trackpad is RehabMan's VoodooPS2 piece of software, check here for download and installation tutorial: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller

• Like 1

Updates :)

1- OK, understood. I'll buy an USB solution

2- It was not the "maxmem" param. The solution is using just "-x" in boot options. But I've read that you have the same problem and you need this option too, so it can be considered a "normal" issue.

3&4- Intel HD4600 and 780M are detected in System info, but Intel HD is used in desktop. I don't have translucent top bar but, using Graphics Mode, now I have better resolution. I'll check if kext are loaded or not... I think this problem is because using "-x" during boot, so some kexts are not loaded (I could be wrong, because I'm totally newbie)

5- I have tried to use some old VoodooPS2 old kexts. I'll try using your suggestion this afternoon.

Yesterday I tried to install my sound card but I couldn't. I suppose I'm not using correct kexts so, there is any universal kext for audio? Later I could look for a bettter solution, but first I'd like to have my sound card working.

Thank you for your help.

Updates :)

1- OK, understood. I'll buy an USB solution

2- It was not the "maxmem" param. The solution is using just "-x" in boot options. But I've read that you have the same problem and you need this option too, so it can be considered a "normal" issue.

3&4- Intel HD4600 and 780M are detected in System info, but Intel HD is used in desktop. I don't have translucent top bar but, using Graphics Mode, now I have better resolution. I'll check if kext are loaded or not... I think this problem is because using "-x" during boot, so some kexts are not loaded (I could be wrong, because I'm totally newbie)

5- I have tried to use some old VoodooPS2 old kexts. I'll try using your suggestion this afternoon.

Yesterday I tried to install my sound card but I couldn't. I suppose I'm not using correct kexts so, there is any universal kext for audio? Later I could look for a bettter solution, but first I'd like to have my sound card working.

Thank you for your help.

You're right, that's because of the -x boot parameter that it won't load the kexts necessary to get full graphic acceleration.  What i would suggest is to find the right ig-platform-id for your HD4600 (but according to your laptop description it should be the same).  What you can do is boot from chameleon and use ONLY the following boot arguments: 

GraphicsEnabler=Yes IntelAzulFB=N  

N must be iterated from 1 to 15 until you get display without flickers/artifacts.  

As for universal sound, you can use this mavericks voodoohda version : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/297207-voodoohda-285-for-mavericks-slice-anv-signed/

You will get speaker sound but probably nothing else, give it a shot and let me know, 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your guide, slayer. Following your instructions, I got 10.9.4 up and running on my GT70-2OC.

Your patched BIOS flashed perfectly, as the 2OD and 2OC have the same motherboard (1763-001), the only difference is a GTX 770M instead of a 780M.

However, I haven't been able to achieve graphics acceleration, which might be because I am not using the correct options in Clover's config.plist, so could you reupload your config.plist? It's no longer attached to the OP.

Thanks for your guide, slayer. Following your instructions, I got 10.9.4 up and running on my GT70-2OC.

Your patched BIOS flashed perfectly, as the 2OD and 2OC have the same motherboard (1763-001), the only difference is a GTX 770M instead of a 780M.

However, I haven't been able to achieve graphics acceleration, which might be because I am not using the correct options in Clover's config.plist, so could you reupload your config.plist? It's no longer attached to the OP.

Here's my graphic injection in config.plist:

<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<true/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>ig-platform-id</key>
		<string>0x0a260005</string>
	</dict>

Let me know if it works for you.

That seems to have done the trick, thank you!

Just for others' information, I was unable to get AppleHDA and the default Keyboard/Trackpad kexts to work correctly, but VoodooHDA and VoodooPS2Controller worked perfectly to get my audio and keyboard/trackpad going.

I've ordered a new Wifi+Bluetooth card that should be compatible, so I'll update everyone when that arrives.

Presently, the things that I have found to not work are:

• GTX 770M
  • SD Card Reader
  • Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth (identified by OSX, but sees no other devices and can be seen by no other devices)
  • Qualcomm Atheros Wifi
  • iMessage (I get an error that my Apple ID can't be used "at this time" to set up iMessage)
  • Sleep Mode
  • Built-In Microphone, Line-In, Mic-In

Some of these issues may be fixed if I get a working DSDT. I tried the one attached to the OP, but it prevented OSX from booting. I have gotten most things to work without it.

EDIT: I got iMessage to work by changing my Apple ID payment method from PayPal to Credit Card.

That seems to have done the trick, thank you!

Just for others' information, I was unable to get AppleHDA and the default Keyboard/Trackpad kexts to work correctly, but VoodooHDA and VoodooPS2Controller worked perfectly to get my audio and keyboard/trackpad going.

I've ordered a new Wifi+Bluetooth card that should be compatible, so I'll update everyone when that arrives.

Presently, the things that I have found to not work are:

• GTX 770M
  • SD Card Reader
  • Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth (identified by OSX, but sees no other devices and can be seen by no other devices)
  • Qualcomm Atheros Wifi
  • iMessage (I get an error that my Apple ID can't be used "at this time" to set up iMessage)
  • Sleep Mode
  • Built-In Microphone, Line-In, Mic-In

Some of these issues may be fixed if I get a working DSDT. I tried the one attached to the OP, but it prevented OSX from booting. I have gotten most things to work without it.

EDIT: I got iMessage to work by changing my Apple ID payment method from PayPal to Credit Card.

Good thing that it worked for you.  For the stuff that is not working for you:

• GTX 770M : In fact it works when connecting an external screen through HDMI or Display port, that's the only reason preventing me from disabling the Nvidia GFX through DSDT.
  • SD Card Reader : Did not try it as i don't use anyways.
  • Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth/Qualcomm Atheros Wifi  : I suggested a PCI-e WIFI/Bluetooth combo in the OP, works flawlessly and can even be used to connect through AC technology.
  • iMessage (I get an error that my Apple ID can't be used "at this time" to set up iMessage): Usually i fix simply by changing my password, no need to change the credit card information (I'm using the same since 2007 i believe).
  • Sleep Mode: Must be fixed through DSDT edits, but please explain what's happening when you trry to put it sleep (instant wake, reboot, etc.).
  • Built-In Microphone, Line-In, Mic-In: Must be done through DSDT injection (or clover).

Please attach your DSDT.dsl untouched and i will try to fix it.

Good thing that it worked for you.  For the stuff that is not working for you:

• GTX 770M : In fact it works when connecting an external screen through HDMI or Display port, that's the only reason preventing me from disabling the Nvidia GFX through DSDT.
  • SD Card Reader : Did not try it as i don't use anyways.
  • Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth/Qualcomm Atheros Wifi  : I suggested a PCI-e WIFI/Bluetooth combo in the OP, works flawlessly and can even be used to connect through AC technology.
  • iMessage (I get an error that my Apple ID can't be used "at this time" to set up iMessage): Usually i fix simply by changing my password, no need to change the credit card information (I'm using the same since 2007 i believe).
  • Sleep Mode: Must be fixed through DSDT edits, but please explain what's happening when you trry to put it sleep (instant wake, reboot, etc.).
  • Built-In Microphone, Line-In, Mic-In: Must be done through DSDT injection (or clover).

Please attach your DSDT.dsl untouched and i will try to fix it.

I got a Wifi/Bluetooth card that is now working great.

However iMessage is now failing with the error "[Contact name] is not registered with iMessage." when I try to send a message, unless I send a message to myself.

For sleep mode, I can close the lid and it seems to go to sleep (sleep light blinks) but then it wakes up after 3 seconds with a black screen and I have to force a shutdown to get things working again.

I'll attach the DSDT if you think you'll have some luck editing it.

DSDT.DSL.zip

i saw youre guide, can you please share youre ioreg with me so i can verify youre hardware ids etc. Im working on my own gt70 2pc to get it working

Here you go Amar’s MacBook Pro.zip

I got a Wifi/Bluetooth card that is now working great.

However iMessage is now failing with the error "[Contact name] is not registered with iMessage." when I try to send a message, unless I send a message to myself.

For sleep mode, I can close the lid and it seems to go to sleep (sleep light blinks) but then it wakes up after 3 seconds with a black screen and I have to force a shutdown to get things working again.

I'll attach the DSDT if you think you'll have some luck editing it.

attachicon.gifDSDT.DSL.zip

Here is your corrected DSDT.dsl (compile to aml before using), i left the warnings and remarks unsolved (you can solve them easilly with some research on the net).  You can still test it anyways without any problems.  Fixed all the problems including sleep and audio (Audio iD = 1).  Please test:

-Sleep (with power button and LID)/ Wake.

-Audio with the attached AppleHDA (do not use any audio enabler or injection from Clover/Chameleon).

DSDT.zip

This defiantly works on mdi gt70 2pc, thanks mate. Im patching my own dsdt what have you done for the webcam? And i will create a guide for Clover (EUFI boot) can i link to yours swell and use some info?

thanks

Here is your corrected DSDT.dsl (compile to aml before using), i left the warnings and remarks unsolved (you can solve them easilly with some research on the net).  You can still test it anyways without any problems.  Fixed all the problems including sleep and audio (Audio iD = 1).  Please test:

-Audio with the attached AppleHDA (do not use any audio enabler or injection from Clover/Chameleon).

attachicon.gifDSDT.zip

Thank you very much for your help, both sleep and audio ports / built-in microphone are working now.

Nice guide but this ntoebook works easily on clover UEFI ;) im making a guide to triple boot the gt70 2pc domintor with osx mavericks 10.9.4 (btw you dont need to inject it in kext at all just proper dsdt edit ig-platform-id and you can use vanilla 10.9.4 kext of intel. Anyway osx mavericks, win 8.1 pro and kali linux.

Search google for UEFI Triple boot guide to follow my progress

EDIT: i had everthing working, i updated the bios to 50Y version and need to rebug osx

Btw the lan driver works to :D

EDIT: AppleHDA vanilla kext on clover edits on dsdt an clvoer.config needit, also other patched applefile

EDIT: WIth Clover bootloader you never have to patch mach_kernel, appleintelcpupowermanagement nor boot1h files for some of you users. All patched on the fly

EDIT: With Clover HDMI Audio works, perfect

Nice guide but this ntoebook works easily on clover UEFI ;) im making a guide to triple boot the gt70 2pc domintor with osx mavericks 10.9.4 (btw you dont need to inject it in kext at all just proper dsdt edit ig-platform-id and you can use vanilla 10.9.4 kext of intel. Anyway osx mavericks, win 8.1 pro and kali linux.

Search google for UEFI Triple boot guide to follow my progress

EDIT: i had everthing working, i updated the bios to 50Y version and need to rebug osx

Btw the lan driver works to :D

EDIT: AppleHDA vanilla kext on clover edits on dsdt an clvoer.config needit, also other patched applefile

EDIT: WIth Clover bootloader you never have to patch mach_kernel, appleintelcpupowermanagement nor boot1h files for some of you users. All patched on the fly

EDIT: With Clover HDMI Audio works, perfect

Thank you for your input, actually i am already having Clover as a bootloader for: Ubuntu 14.04, Mavericks, Yosemite (for testing) and windows 8.1.  But i am interrested in getting HDMI audio to work, can you please advise how you did it ? That's the only thing that is not working for me.

Thanks.

Thank you for your input, actually i am already having Clover as a bootloader for: Ubuntu 14.04, Mavericks, Yosemite (for testing) and windows 8.1.  But i am interrested in getting HDMI audio to work, can you please advise how you did it ? That's the only thing that is not working for me.

Thanks.

You have to get some proper dsdt patched, or in clover you need to enable it. Anyway im almost at 100% stable system and then im moving to clover, IF im correct you can use hdmi of youre nvidia, otherwise from intel i need to debug this today. Ask me again in a week and i have the answer. (maybe today already have to see got more stuff to do)

You have to get some proper dsdt patched, or in clover you need to enable it. Anyway im almost at 100% stable system and then im moving to clover, IF im correct you can use hdmi of youre nvidia, otherwise from intel i need to debug this today. Ask me again in a week and i have the answer. (maybe today already have to see got more stuff to do)

Ok,

I already tried DSDT edits and now i am testing through SSDT injection with Toleda.  From another side, if you system is similar to mine in architecture, the HDMI Video/Audio outputs are only handeled by the NVIDIA discrete card (also applicable to the display port).  The intelHD 4600 doesn't handle that as far as i know.

• Like 1

Ok, can you please send me you're whole EFI folder system and you're dsdt.dsl and ioreg? Upload it and we will fix this together, almost sure about it i have a pro dsdt editor with me he also made drivers from voodoops2

PS. whats the status on yosomite? hd4600 qe/ci?

For triple boot you can use this

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293574-beginners-guide-to-uefi-tripledual-boot-os-x-windows-and-linux-kali-on-an-single-true-gpt-ssd/

Here you go attachicon.gifAmar’s MacBook Pro.zip

attachicon.gifDSDT.zip

What did you do to fix sleep by him? You have my dsdt here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=147059