[Guide] OSX Mavericks 10.9 on MSI Haswell GT70-2oD, GT60-2oD, GT60 2oc Barebone GT70, Barebone GT60 [Updated August 2014]

slayer2333

84 posts in this topic

Note: If you own a GT70-2PC or newer GT70 version (with Nvidia GTX 8xx) please consider this thread instead.

The config:

• CPU
    The latest 4th generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processor
  • Chipset
    Intel® HM87
  • Memory
    DDR3L up to 1600MHz, 4 slots, Max: 32GB
  • LCD Size
    17.3" Full HD (1920x1080), Anti-glare
  • Graphics
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 780m 4GB VRAM GDDR5
  • Optical Drive
    BD Writer / BD Combo / DVD Super Multi
  • Audio
    Audio Boost, 2x2W Speakers, 1 subwoofer
  • Webcam
    HD type(30fps@720p)
  • Card Reader
    SD(XC/HC)
  • LAN
    Killer DoubleShot
  • Wireless LAN
    Killer DoubleShot
  • Bluetooth
  • D-Sub (VGA)
  • HDMI
    1(v1.4)
  • USB 2.0 port
  • USB 3.0 port
  • Mic-in/Headphone-out
    1/1
  • Line-in

Step 1 : Address Early Reboot: Without this Step the laptop will reboot a few seconds after we select the installer.

Option 1: mach_kernel Patching:

When creating the USB installer, follow the steps provided by RehabMan in the opening post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293503-haswell-early-reboot-mavericks-locked-msrs-and-hp-envy-15-j063cl-i7-4700mq/

If using Clover as bootloader, simply use KernelPm=true as boot argument.

Option 2: Bios Patching: (long term solution, no more need to patch mach_kernel on overy OSX update):

You have 2 choices here : 1- You can either backup and patch your own Bios using this thread : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285444-pmpatch-uefi-patching-utility/?hl=%20pmpatch

2- Use my patched Bios (this one is only for Barebone GT70 model 1763-001 (780m GTX version) , Do not use it on other versions!)

Once patched just flash it by creating a Dos Bootable USB key using the clear explanation here : http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/printer/user-guide-for-msi-hq-forum-flash-tool .  When succesfully created you will have a USB content like this:

post-946790-0-50504300-1382888880_thumb.png

You will notice that there are 2 large files : E1763IG6.70H (this is the newest Bios attached in this topic) and the E1763SSS.703 (which is the older one that i kept there just in case).  In your case you will only have one of them.  I would suggest to also copy an untouched Bios for your specific Laptop on the USB key to flash it back if anything goes wrong.

In order to boot with this USB key make sure to put your Bios into Legacy Mode (Not UEFI or UEFI + Csm), and make sure to have both Battery and AC plugged.  Once at the boot screen (red text) go to command Line (Shift + F5).

Use the following command : AFUDE238 E1763IG6.70H (in this case we are flashing the latest Bios, if using another Bios replace E1763IG6.70H by your Bios file name).

The flash operation will start (don't freak out if the fans go 100% its normal).  Make sure that all the lines are saying Done or OK ( if not perform the same command but using your previous Bios).

If everything is ok, shut down your PC, unplug the battery and the AC cable and leave it for 30 seconds, turn it on again, go into the Bios and use RESTORE TO DEFAULTS, save and reboot.

The risky Part is done, now the easy stuff.

Step 2 : Mavericks USB Creation:

Simply follow this guide, pretty straight forward :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners-updated-for-mavericks/

If using Clover, install it first on the USB key ( with the option for UEFI Motherboard and the drivers for UEFI64).

The options to check when installing Clover are as shown in this screenshot:

post-946790-0-29517900-1408741558_thumb.png

If Using Chameleon, same thing, install Chameleon on the USB Key and check the following options:

post-946790-0-73746300-1408742625_thumb.png

post-946790-0-53347800-1408742651_thumb.png

Now we are good to go.

Step 3 : Installation:

Go back into Bios and ensure the followings:

-Disk Mode : AHCI

-Fast Boot : Disabled ( Enabled works the same but just in case for now).

-If using clover : Boot Mode = UEFI then select your USB key as first boot device

-If Using Chameleon, Boot Legacy and select the USB key as first device to boot.

Do not use any boot arguments as they are already embedded in my Clover or Chameleon files.  (if it doesn't boot, try adding -f )

Once at the OSX Installation, do your stuff the way you want then reboot

Step 4 : First Boot:

Boot again from the USB Key (again if it doesn't boot use -f), then install your bootloader on the HDD this time (and using same options above).  When installing clover the EFI partition will be mounted.  Extract these files DSDT+SSDTs.zip into EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched.

Next use CloverConfigurator to build your config.plist the way you want, i am using the following options for my build, everything is working stable:

post-946790-0-68980500-1408743136_thumb.png

post-946790-0-45283900-1408743153_thumb.png

post-946790-0-20432400-1408743170_thumb.png

post-946790-0-25792500-1408743185_thumb.png

post-946790-0-80101100-1408743198_thumb.png

post-946790-0-39801700-1408743214_thumb.png

post-946790-0-26854200-1408743229_thumb.png

post-946790-0-96039300-1408743243_thumb.png

post-946790-0-85537600-1408743259_thumb.png

post-946790-0-83116600-1408743275_thumb.png

Put FakeSMC.kext in EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.9 just in case you forget to install it on your HDD.

If Installing Chameleon Bootloader, once you use the same installation options above copy the DSDT.aml into /Extra on your HDD root and by using Chameleon Wizard, create your own Smbios.Plist and org.chameleon.boot.plist according to clover's options in the screenshots.  Rebuild caches, again make sure the FakeSMC.kext is installed into your System/Library/Extensions and reboot but this time from your local drive.

The best SMBios to use is Macbook Pro 11,2.  Please note that in order to boot with this Smbios using clover you need to add the followings in /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist:

Under <key>SupportedBoardIds</key> :

<string>Mac-3CBD00234E554E41</string>

and under <key>SupportedModelProperties</key>:

<string>MacBookPro11,2</string>

-If using Chameleon you may have Boot 0 : Error , if so do the following:

Boot again from the USB key to the Installer
Run Disk Utility and unmount the drive you installed OSX on (and take note of its disk number, click on your OSX HDD then Info, you will see DiskXsY, example : disk0s1)
Launch Terminal and execute the following command (replace X and Y by your values):

dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/diskXsY

Exit Terminal
Reboot Normally

-Using Clover is much easier: boot again from your USB key onto clover, then go to Clover Boot Options, there may be 2 of them (one for USB and the other one for HDD, select the HDD one), add your UEFI entry in the boot menu then reboot.  You will find in your Bios Clover X Boot as a UEFI boot option.

Step 5 : Post Install:

Install the attached Kext for Battery and AppleHDA for Audio + EAPD kext to get audio after sleep.

Install the AppleBacklight.kext AppleBacklight.kext.zip to get native brightness control (using Pause/Break for brightness up and Scroll/Lock for Brightness down).  No more need for Blinkscreen.  Warning: The attached kext is for 10.9.4 only (you may test it on older versions at your own risk, i did not test it myself but you may let me know), if you want the same for 10.9.0 up to10.9.3 follow RehabMan's instructions, google : native brightness working without blinkscreen and go to the first link.

Also check you EFI folder, you need to have only the following drivers in EFI/Clover/Drivers64UEFI:

DataHubDxe-64.efi

EmuVariableUefi-64.efi

FSInject-64.efi

HFSPlus-64.efi (in replacement of VBox-64.efi), this one provides faster cache loading.

OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi

OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi

Last Thing:

-If installing 10.9.2 or higher, make sure to install the kexts for IntelHD and Nvidia from 10.9.1 or it won't boot anymore.

So what works:

-Intel HD 4600 with full acceleration.
-HDMI video out
-All USB ports (2.0 and 3.0) Nativelly working at full speed.
-Blueray working (you may have something different, feel free to check)
-Webcam native.
-Audio using applehda with all pins working (Also Audio working after sleep).
-Bluetooth working.
-Keyboard, Fn Keys, Trackpad with 2 fingers scrolling (both horizontal and vertical + disable) - Use the Keyboard kexts that you want, Check for RehabMan PS2 Controller-> the best.
-Keyboard backlight and control

-Battery (with the kext provided here)

-Ethernet (Killer E2200)

-Sleep

-SpeedStep ( the benchmark scores are a bit slower than Windows, need to check this)

-Brightness control working using Pause/Break for brightness down and Scroll Lock for brightness Up)

What doesn't Work:

-HDMI audio (i'm giving up on this one).

-Nvidia 780m GTX (don't expect it to work-> Optimus), but well i guess we already have windows for Gaming :whistle:

Update November 16th:

-I included a working AppleHDA (with the DSDT), everything is working (Integrated and Line in mics, Speakers, Line outs)-> All credits to Mirone.
-I considered to replace my Wifi Ship (Intel AC 7260 + BT 4) with a working solution (BCM4352) which is a combo AC card as well with BT 4.0 -> Working Flawlessly and takes 5mins to replace, pretty cheap (30$):

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2767-broadcom-80211-ac-wifi-and-bluetooth-combo-card-for-osx/

Drivers for mac and windows included in the above link.

-In order to get iMessage/iCloud/Appstore working use a Macbook Air Smbios (as it doesn't include Ethernet, only WIFI).  If you use an alternative Wifi adapter that works, make sure to have Ethernet as built in and as en0.

Update December 30th:

In order to get brightness control working without need to sleep, you can use the workaround developped by Rehabman here:

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-blinkscreen

What it does is simply turn Off/On screen at boot and you get brightness control working right away.

Updated on July 2014:

-Added updated AppleHDA from 10.9.1 (All Pins Working).

-Added EAPD kext to get audio working after wake from sleep.

-Now Boot with Cache gives working audio!

-Added Updated DSDT.

-Added Updated Battery Kext.

-If installing 10.9.2 or higher, make sure to install the kexts for IntelHD and Nvidia from 10.9.1 or it won't boot anymore.

Updated on August 2014:

-Added AppleBacklight.Kext for native brightness control.

-Added screenshots for easier understanding.

-Updated DSDT and SSDTs

Verdict: Perfect Gaming Hackintosh :thumbsup_anim:

Credits: @RehabMan for brightness control, Battery, PS2 controls, DSDT laptop patches and much more.

@Mirone & Toleda for Audio and DSDT patching.

@CodeRush for Bios patching to enable native CPU power management

post-946790-0-50504300-1382888880_thumb.png

E1763IG6.zip

ACPIBatteryManager.kext.zip

AppleHDA.kext.zip

EAPDFix.kext.zip

• Like 5

Hello and thanks for this guide. I have almost the same hardware in my G750JH. So I can see from your post that Mavericks should be able to run... My problem is to complete the boot from USB installer. I get the Chimera greeting, but I tried a lot of options and never passed the ktext loading... As soon as it passes IOUSB Family it goes on hard reboot... I guess I need some kind of BIOS trick. My Bios is an American Megatrends (version204) quite limited. I confess I am a bit weary to flash the Bios without being sure of what I do. What procedure would you recommend?

• Like 1

Hi Marchack,

The instant reboot happens because of the OSX new kernel.  You will need to patch your bios to get past that problem or wait until someone figures out a less intrusive workaround since the source code for this kernel is released now.

Hi Marchack,

You will need to patch your bios to get past that problem or wait until someone figures out a less intrusive workaround since the source code for this kernel is released now.

OK I get that. But what procedure should I follow to patch this BIOS? I will try that util you pionted to, but I think I should read a bit more before messing around :) BTW I just updated the bios, so I have the brand new file available.

The bios update on Asus is pretty simple as far as i remember with my previous G75VW (major hackintosh fail).  You just need to copy the Pmpatch util and your new Bios file in the same folder, open CMD in windows (as administrator), navigate to the folder where you put your files and do:

PMPatch YOURBIOSNAME.bin THEDESIREDPATCHEDBIOSNAME.bin              
(.bin is just an example, it can be .70h, .rom, ...).

I would suggest that you do this first manipulation first then take a screenshoot of the output and put it in the related thread to ask them if it is succesful.

• Like 1

I saw your post on the PMPatch topic.  Your output is similar to mine and it worked for me, i think that your patch is succesfull so you can proceed and flash it.

Or you can also consider a patched Kernel released by RehabMan (all credits to him), look on google for:

Haswell early reboot, Mavericks, locked MSRs, and HP Envy 15-J063CL (i7-4700MQ)

Please report how it goes with it.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

Great turtorial - very usefull for MSI gt60 2oc. First I've install Mavericks 10.9.1 with Rehabman kernel - its works but I cannot install audio. Then I've patch bios and install with oryginal kernel - nothing has change. I cannot get dsdt.aml working - when I extract and compile dsdt there are about 70 errors. I can't save the dsdt.aml. I've tried yours dsdt.aml - I've earn brigtnes control but still no audio. Could you give me some advise? Forgive my pure english.

Hello!

Great turtorial - very usefull for MSI gt60 2oc. First I've install Mavericks 10.9.1 with Rehabman kernel - its works but I cannot install audio. Then I've patch bios and install with oryginal kernel - nothing has change. I cannot get dsdt.aml working - when I extract and compile dsdt there are about 70 errors. I can't save the dsdt.aml. I've tried yours dsdt.aml - I've earn brigtnes control but still no audio. Could you give me some advise? Forgive my pure english.

I would advise against using someone else's dsdt, you may run in several problems (also it is a dsdt from another model).  Attach your DSDT here i will take a look and try to fix it (attach the extracted DSDT.dsl).

Hello and thank for your advise. Here is my dsdt.dsl. Please help me, I am a beginner in macos. I have a few questions for you:

Did you use voodoohda 2.8.4 with or without lion  extension?

When you ask Mirone for applehda you send some files . Do I must to have a linux ex. Ubuntu?

How do you manage with low gain microphone?

dsdt.dsl.zip

Hello and thank for your advise. Here is my dsdt.dsl. Please help me, I am a beginner in macos. I have a few questions for you:

Did you use voodoohda 2.8.4 with or without lion  extension?

When you ask Mirone for applehda you send some files . Do I must to have a linux ex. Ubuntu?

How do you manage with low gain microphone?

Fixed your DSDT, i am not sure for your audio what is your Chipset so i left the HDEF section untouched (i also did not add the HDMI audio edits until your fix your other problems), as for your questions:

I used VoodooHDA before but i don't like it at all (bad sound quality and instable), but if you use it, make sure to remove AppleHDA.kext in your /system/library/extensions folder or use HDADisabler.kext.  There is also something weird with my laptop (and probably yours). In order to get audio working (when having the right AppleHDA patches or VoodooHDA installed), you need to boot first in Windows, then reboot on mac.  If not, you will see audio slider working but you won't hear anything.

-In order to get your audio codecs you need to use Linux or Ubuntu, pretty easy, just download Linux CD image from the official website, burn it on a DVD then boot using it (without installing linux), make sure to boot in legacy mode (Not UEFI or UEFI + CSM).  Then you can follow the first steps in this tutorial :

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t465.html

As for your last question with the mic gain, i don't have enough experience in patching AppleHDA, you can ask either Toleda or Mirone, both kind people.

Hope it helps.

dsdt.aml.zip

Thank for fixing my dsdt :) !! I fought this is unfixable. I've tried voodoohda lion and I have sound but I get low volume of recordings from built in mic. There is no issue like yours about need of going into windows to get sound working under mac, but like you said the quality of sound seems to be worse (than windows). Thanks your fix dsdt I have working brignest control - similar to yours - I've noticed that to get it works I must press once power button and next brighnest key. Laptop don't go to sleep state and brigtnes keys are working.

I think our laptops are only differ in two things: yours has larger screen and faster gfx card. Could  you add to my dsdt HDEF and HDMI audio support - also have alc892? I know that you help me a lot but modyfing this dsdt is extremly difficult to me.

And If you agree I could upload my patched bios and fixed by you dsdt  for gt60 2oc (if you can add to title "gt60 2oc"). Your turtorial is very usefull for beginers like me.

Great job!!!

Thank for fixing my dsdt :) !! I fought this is unfixable. I've tried voodoohda lion and I have sound but I get low volume of recordings from built in mic. There is no issue like yours about need of going into windows to get sound working under mac, but like you said the quality of sound seems to be worse (than windows). Thanks your fix dsdt I have working brignest control - similar to yours - I've noticed that to get it works I must press once power button and next brighnest key. Laptop don't go to sleep state and brigtnes keys are working.

I think our laptops are only differ in two things: yours has larger screen and faster gfx card. Could  you add to my dsdt HDEF and HDMI audio support - also have alc892? I know that you help me a lot but modyfing this dsdt is extremly difficult to me.

And If you agree I could upload my patched bios and fixed by you dsdt  for gt60 2oc (if you can add to title "gt60 2oc"). Your turtorial is very usefull for beginers like me.

Great job!!!

Check for my last update on my tutorial to get brightness control working without additional actions (sorry forgot to add).  I will add the HDEF and HDMI audio edits probably tomorrow, but i'm not sure it will work as same audio chipsets doesn't mean same codec configuration.

Great job!!!

Attached patched DSDT (i added the patches for HDMI audio and AppleHDA -Layout id = 1).  Now the questions are:

-Which graphic card is handling the HDMI audio ? The Nvidia Card or the Intel one ?

-Do you already have a patched AppleHDA? If your are using the one attached here, it is working with a layout id=3 so what you need to do is eady :

Open the DSDT.aml and search for Device (HDEF) , within this section you will see :

post-946790-0-22148200-1389140244_thumb.png

Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                            0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                        },

replace the 0x01 by 0x03, compile the file and save the .aml over the old one, rebuild caches and reboot.

Let me know how it goes and thank for confirming that it works on GT60-2OC as well.

dsdt.aml.zip

Thank for your support! I've tried this dsdt but I can't get hdmi audio and applehda (yours and frome Mirone topic) to work. Maybe the reason is that I have a VoodoHDA installed before. I also change this hdef in dsdt.aml.

I am very grateful for your work you done for me. Now I give up with applehda because the voodohda 2.8.4 lion is enough for my needs. I need hackintosh for medical purpose (osirix). In windows there is a intel and nvidia hdmi audio but when i connecth hdmi it shows that nvidia is handling the audio.

My problems are also crackles during record from usb webcam microphone (ms hd-6000 and creative livecam hd connect 1080 are afected).

• 2 months later...

I used your patched BIOS and created the install using 10.9.2 install with Chameleon. I boot from the USB drive and the install hangs. I have attached a screen shot. Any idea? Thanks

Hi, There's nothing attached to your post but i know that our lappy doesn't boot with 10.9.2 unless you replace the Nvidia kexts (all of them) with the ones from 10.9.1.  You can extract them from the 10.9.1 package using pacifist then overwrite the ones you have now using any kext installer.

I made a new install USB drive from 10.9.1, used your clover instructions and got the boot to get to the apple screen but it did no go any further. It did take quite a while to get as far as it did and I thought it had stopped when I took the screen shot. 

Please look at these and give me some suggestions. I am using the newest clover and all of the files from your post so I am hoping this will work.

Thanks,

Brad

post-176160-0-56735800-1396909428_thumb.jpg

post-176160-0-60744900-1396909440_thumb.jpg