[Guide] How to make a bootable OS X 10.9 Mavericks USB install drive on LINUX

tlac

83 posts in this topic

Hello,

I followed the guide in the first post and I encountered a problem. When I boot my computer it show that error:

"EBIOS read error: Controller or device error

Block 0x8ba8 Sectors 0"

I read that this might be happened by too many devices plugged in while booting up the computer, so I disabled all the devices in bios, except my pendrive, but the error still appears. The computer I use is ASUS U36SG, with 8gb of ram and samsung 120gb ssd.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I download "Install OS X Mavericks.app.dmg" and use "7z x" to extract it and then mount it.

But here's an error when I tried to extract InstallESD.dmg:

hou-gentoo SharedSupport # 7z x InstallESD.dmg InstallMacOSX.pkg/InstallESD.dmg

7-Zip [64] 9.20  Copyright (c) 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov  2010-11-18
p7zip Version 9.20 (locale=en_US.utf8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,4 CPUs)

Processing archive: InstallESD.dmg

Extracting  InstallMacOSX.pkg/InstallESD.dmg     Data Error

Sub items Errors: 1

So... What am I supposed to do now?

Did you check the md5?

Btw my hunch is that your 7z build is wrong. Try it on other files.

Unfortunately the md5sum is right...

hou-gentoo SharedSupport # md5sum InstallESD.dmg 
f222952400db8535c03697c3293e168e  InstallESD.dmg

I don't know if it's the way I mounted it. Because I can't mount it directly using dmg or img (dmg2img) file (mount -t hfsplus -o loop always say wrong fs type something), I use 7z x to extract it and mount only the 2.hfs.

Oh, here's another problem: I've tried many "hacked" installation disc images (like http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Run-Mac-OS-X-Inside-Windows-Using-VirtualBo/), but all the iso will say "can't perform kext scan: no kext summary" when I load it.

Screenshot: http://www.zimagez.com/full/eb45d9d29cb9845b329a618ec91320d46b256db6b3d0ffed6924c0fb25bf0a9dcf509056b1d59b0dc826f5dd9bcbb64cb1789ac262d8e35f.php

So I'm afraid I'll still face it even I make a usb install drive.

I can't follow you.

Did you manage to extract the files?

Sorry, I mean, I use the way mentioned above to mount "Install OS X Mavericks.app.dmg" (actually 2.hfs extracted from it). The InstallESD.dmg has the right md5sum, but when I tried to extract InstallESD.dmg, the error happened.

As for another problem I mentioned, that's a totally different thing apart from this topic.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I am a complete noob trying hand at this for the first time. I followed the guide step by step but when I tried to boot my pendrive n got

boot0:test

boot0:done

boot1:error

the dmg i have is 10.9 (13A603).

So what can cause this problem,any idea??

The pc i tried it on currently has windows installed on it, can that be the cause?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi!

Thanks for great guide. I spend few days with other variants without success. Now i have an usb with Mavericks 10.9 bootable from first try.

Now, i installed without any error Mavericks and need to reboot to continue setup.

I make another usb with chameleon+[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-haswell and boot but after kexts are loaded i got black screen. I try'it different flags withous success.

My system specs:

motherboard: asus B85M-E with virtualization disabled

processor: i5-4590

ram: 8Gb

Any suggestion?

I'm glad that you successfully created your installer.

After you installed the osx, you can use the Chameleon bootloader and the same kexts that you used for the installer. I think this should be work.

If you have still problems, I recommend the post installation topics for further help:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/forum/374-osx86-109-mavericks/

• 1 month later...

Hey man!

Thanks a lot for this guide, but I am facing problems and I do not know how to even debug them.

So, I created the bootable flash drive and try to boot in a Dell XPS 13, it passes the Chamaleon bootloader but as soon as it shown the Apple logo in the screen, crashes and reboots the laptop.

I guess there should be some kind of log file in the pendrive that may have valuable information about the crash, but I do not know where... any help is welcome.

Bests!

PS. I tried booting with "mach_kernel -v -x" but the messages pass way too fast and it reboots immediately after crashing, so I can't see in which point it failed exactly.

• 4 months later...

I am getting an error on running the command as below:

$ 7z x -so /media/james/MacOSXYosemite/System/Installation/Packages/BaseSystemBinaries.pkg Payload | bunzip2 | cpio -i

__________________________________________________________________________________________

7-Zip [64] 9.20  Copyright © 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov  2010-11-18
p7zip Version 9.20 (locale=en_US.UTF-8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,8 CPUs)

Processing archive: /media/james/MacOSXYosemite/System/Installation/Packages/BaseSystemBinaries.pkg

Extracting  Payloadbunzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
cpio: premature end of archive

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Any idea what the reason might be?

p.s.: This error is when I am following the same set of instructions for installing Yosemite.

Processing archive: /media/james/MacOSXYosemite/System/Installation/Packages/BaseSystemBinaries.pkg

Extracting  Payloadbunzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.

cpio: premature end of archive

You cannot use same method to extract kernel file from BaseSystemBinaries.pkg in Yosemite because it uses different format. I tried to google for an hour and still can't find a way to extract it.

Thanks for the guide, tlac! This was exactly what I've been looking for. Just used this to do a clean install on an old iMac because my other computers are both Linux boxes.

Stopped at step 3 and it booted fine, though I did get the "carefully clean disk" error message. Trying to change the permissions (using Linux) didn't work, even with sudo -- a quick google suggests it's because Apple's ACL system supersedes Unix permissions. Rebooted the Mac to see if I could change it from within Terminal and surprisingly this time the installer worked, not sure why!

Currently having problems with the Mac freezing & restarting during setup (picking language, account name, etc.), but if no one else has had these issues it's probably an unrelated hardware problem.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the guide! It worked almost flawlessly.

following installed packages:

hfsplus, hfsprogs, gparted, p7zip

Extracting dmg’s didn’t work for me on the p7zip beta version 9.38.1, though the stable version 9.20 worked fine. It would be nice if you could add that to the OP.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for a great guide! It works well also for 10.10, with a couple modifications:

• mach_kernel has been renamed to System/Library/Kernels/kernel and you have to extract it from Essentials with Pacifist (7z won't work, they changed the file format)
  • copy both BaseSystem.chunklist and BaseSystem.dmg at the root of the USB drive

Thanks for a great guide! It works well also for 10.10, with a couple modifications:

• mach_kernel has been renamed to System/Library/Kernels/kernel and you have to extract it from Essentials with Pacifist (7z won't work, they changed the file format)
  • copy both BaseSystem.chunklist and BaseSystem.dmg at the root of the USB drive

Thanks for your post.

Yeah, I should update the guide but I'm too lazy to do it :)

Problem 1:

Hey guys, first of all thanks tlac for the tutorial, anyway i did everything, usb stick created, I boot from the usb stick, then chameleon ask's me which drive i want to boot, I select the USB stick again, a rotating slash appear( \ --> | ---> / ecc...) for a few seconds then the pc restarts... and i couldn't find anybody with the same problem so i don't know what to do...

I tried to boot in verbose mode and the last line seems to be: Read HFS+ File: ....System/Library/Extensions/NullCpuPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/NullCPUPowerManagement] 33240 bytes

But i'm not sure since the system reboots very fast, i've seen this line recording with the phone...

I hope you know where the problem is :P

Thank you again...

Soon

My system configuration:

Core 2 Duo E8400

Asus P5K-PRO

MSI gtx 470

I have windows 7 installed in two HDD in RAID 0 anyway when booting the installation stick i tried with Sata mode both in RAID or AHCI and it didn't change anything...

PS: during the installation anyway there was an error, but i don't think this is the problem:

2v9psn6.png

PS 2: I tried the same usb stick in another computer and this time it stopped on "Still waiting for root device..."

Config:

Intel i5 3570k

AsRock z77 Extreme 6

PointOfView Gtx 680

Sata mode: AHCI

Solution to problem 1:

Ok i solved the problem in two steps: 

First i deleted the nullcpupowermanagement kext, then the system wasn't rebooting but it got stuck anyway(sorry don't remember which was the error)

To solve then i booted with the following flags: -v -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes

So....OK! Now i got in the installation but here another problem came out.

In my pc I have windows installed on 2 HDD in RAID 0 and I want to install mavericks on a third HDD.

for me it's no a problem to change the sata mode everytime i have to boot but here are the possibilites:

IDE mode: I can get to the installation but no HDD is detected(only usb stick)

RAID mode: I can get to the installation but no HDD is detected(only usb stick)

AHCI mode: When i boot Chameleon Freeze on the rotating slash, before the boot selection, not during the OSX boot but during the chameleon boot.

:(

Yet another update: 

I tried to disconnect the 2 HDD in raid 0(physically, the data cable) and now in AHCI chameleon boots fine as the OSX Installation, and now the HDD is detected, so it works but the need to disconnect sata cable everytimes starts to be frustrating...any idea for a solution?

Also, i managed to install mavericks with the RAID hard disk disconnected in AHCI mode but now when i boot i got stock on:

Waiting for DSMOS... It isn't the last line but probably that's the problem...anyway I have FAKESMC.kext in the extension folder...

Thanks again