I got Snow leopard to install and boot but I need some help.

T10NAZ

2 posts in this topic

I got everything to work and boot, mouse/keyboard input (but it takes SL a little bit to detect when booted) and im trying to figure out how to get my dvd drive to work but I have an idea on how to get it running. But over all I am pretty excited that I atleast got it to boot on my FX 6300 lol

So my questions are, how do I upgrade my 10.6.3 to 10.6.8 without breaking my install?I know that i need like the nawcom 10.8 for it so how would I go to installing it? Ive seen some posts saying i can rename the 10.6.8 kernel to whatever one i have now, replace the old one then reboot after installing the combo update

Thats all I need right now, my radeon 6450 has a kext for qe/ci working for 10.6.8 and I think i know how to get my belkin usb wifi stick to work.

• 2 months later...

Where did all the help go around here?

Did you get a working WiFi or Ethernet connection?

If the answer is Yes then boot up into your running 10.6.3 install, download MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8.dmg from Apple and the nawcom 10.8 to your downloads folder ( I used legacy_kernel-10.8.0.v2.pkg.zip, but I do not remember where exactly I got it from. Probably downloads from this site or over at OSx86.net. Works really well for this).

Open the updatecombo dmg and click on the installer package and let it run, following through all the prompts saying Yes to all. When it completes, it wants you to reboot. Don't Do That Yet!

Open the zip package legacy_kernel-10.8.0.v2.pkg.zip or your nawcom 10.8 zip file and click on the installer package and let it run, following the prompts. If it didn't come in an installer package, you have to do a little work.

Drag and Drop the kernel onto the icon for your harddrive there in the upper right corner of your desktop. That will put it in your root directory where you need it. Open up /Extra/ org.chameleon.Boot.plist in text editor if you don't have plist editor available and change the Kernel name arguments from mach_kernel to the name of the kernel you just dropped on the harddrive.

<key>Kernel</key>
    <string>legacy_kernel_v8_r2</string>

This is mine. While you are in there insert your kernel flags :

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>-v -f -F npci=0x2000 arch=i386 -force64 cpus=1 HDAEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=Yes</string>

Now you can reboot.  

If you have an install package for your kernel it should do this all for you.

On bootup, if it blank screens you start again with the bootloader arguments "name of"kernel -v -f -F cpus=1 busratio=20 arch=i386 -force64 GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1.

Should start. If not stick an -x in after the -F and you will come out in Safe Mode which will let you go through the First Time start proceedures and have an operational system.

Good luck! Have fun!