Need help installing OSX Mavericks :/ (ASUS P8Z68-V/i5 2500/Radeon HD6950)

n6n43hix

19 posts in this topic

Sorry for the doublepost but i'm getting crazy with this :(

i'm having some trouble getting OSX10.9 to work :/ Its my first attempt to install a OSX system on my machine.

First, my hardware specs:

Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V with Intel Z68 Desktop PCI Chipset

BIOS: version 3603 release 4.6 dated 11/09/2012

CPU: Intel Core 2 i5 2500 @ 3.3GHz

RAM: 2x 4Gigs Corsair DDR3 @ 667MHz

GPU: AMD Radeon HD6950 (from Asus)

Displays: 2x Samsung SyncMaster SA300 both connected via DVI

HDD's: Intel SSD 80Gig's (clean for OSX), Corsair Force3 SSD 120Gig's (Win8), Western SATA3 Caviar Green 2TB (Storage)

USB Drive for OSX Install: WD Ext HDD 2TB

If that's not enough - HERE is my full Dr. Hardware report.

Now to what i've done:

I followed this guide, i setted up a VM with OSX ML on my Windows for preparing my USB Drive with the install of mavericks and then done all the steps from the guide except:

2.C. Patching the installer for a PC:
5. Copy your folder of essential software & kexts to the root of your USB stick.

I don't know what software & kexts i need to get this to work :/ So i thinked i just give it a try. Shut down my PC, Booted, pressed F8 for getting the bootmenu, selected my Ext WD USB, and then it showed me this:

boot0: GPT

boot0: test

boot0: GPT

boot0: error

on both my screens..

Then i found the boot file for Chameleon from mendietinha, so i downloaded it and replaced the one on my Ext USB drive with it, but still getting the same error.

So now, can anyone help me getting this OSX installed? :(

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers

Download the latest Chameleon installer pkghttp://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/download/59-chameleon-22-svn/

Run it in your VM and be sure to point it to your USB installer partition.

If that doesn't solve the problem, provide some info to see whether your USB drive is set up properly.  In the VM Applications/Utilities folder, open Terminal and type: diskutil list

Copy the output and post it here.

I updated the Chameleon installer before using it, so its the latest.

Tonis-Mac:~ n6n43hix$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *161.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh               160.2 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk1
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS OS X Base System        2.0 TB     disk1s2
Tonis-Mac:~ n6n43hix$ 

Everything looks fine.  It should be working.

The only thing I can suggest is try making a smaller partition for the installer.  When the instructions say to create 1 partition, instead, create 2 partitions.  The first one about 20 GB for the installer and the second one 1.98 TB and leave it blank.  "Restore" BaseSystem to the 1st partition, add the files needed and install Chameleon.

• Like 1

"the files needed" I was referring to are the ones for creating the installer - the Extra folder with the org.chameleon.Boot.plist and smbios.plist inside as well as copying over the Packages folder to replace the Packages alias.

so, i've tryed it with the 2 partitions now, and it worked. then i booted de osx install with -v and first it showed me a ton of different errors. i cant remember them all, is there a way to get a log of those? now my screen is standig at the position in the screenshot, i can hover trough both screens with my mouse and the rainbow wheel is spinning for about 10 mins, but nothing happens :/Booted with -v -x, now it works..

edit: {censored}, the installer don't shows my intel ssd as destination for the installation.. what i'm gonna do now? i think i must prepare it for the installation, format as mac hd or so?

edit2: found the hd tool in the installer at top. that shows my corsair and the wd drive, but still no intel ssd :/

edit3: restarted the system, taked a screenshot of the last errors with my ipad.

edit4: done a 'diskutil list' in the terminal of the installation.. screen below. one ssd is missing :/ on boot pressing f8 it shows my intel ssd.. maybe there is a problem because on that ssd it has a 200mb partition with bootinfos for win8?

post-1233980-13827377076606_thumb.jpg

post-1233980-1382738279848_thumb.jpg

post-1233980-13827390877509_thumb.jpg

post-1233980-13827393905309_thumb.jpg

post-1233980-13827398935945_thumb.jpg

In BIOS, set SATA to AHCI.

On the motherboard, you have 3 hard disk controllers.  The connectors are blue, grey and red.  Move the Intel SSD to a different color, perhaps the same color as the Corsair.  The red connectors probably won't work until you install another kext.

I don't know what to tell you.  There is something about the Intel SSD that OSX just doesn't like.

If you want to experiment, you can install OSX to the 1.98 TB Free Space partition.  Or if you want to keep some of that 1.98 TB for data, you can resize the 1.98 TB partition and create a new partition.

After trying a little bit, i'm done installing the system :) *yay*

But i can only boot in safe mode and have no ethernet working :/

If i boot without safe mode, a lot of error appear and then the screen turns white..

Anyway, a lot of progress for today. Will try fixing that tommorow, need a bit of sleep, it's 2:32 AM here in Switzerland.

Have a nice day - or night xD

Cheers!

Hey  :)

i managed to install the .kext file for the network, so now i'm writing in this forum from my osx system  :thumbsup_anim:

So, for now, my graphics don't work like i wish, its all very slow and looks like {censored} wenn i open anything. Whats the solution for this problem? I boot in verbose and safe mode, if i don't, it boots so fast and the screen turns white so i never could read the errors getting there. Are they logging anywhere?

Cheers!

Edit: and only one screen is working, the other one is completely white

Edit2: i don't manage to install the boot loader on my hdd, because in finder when i wanna copy the 'extra' folder to my drive, i'm not able to find the hard disk :D

Edit3: solved the finder problem xD

post-1233980-0-68207800-1382805955_thumb.jpg

You do not have a good video solution.  The HD6950 has problems with OSX that have never been solved.  It was hoped that Mavericks would be better, but it doesn't seem so.

There has been a partial solution that works in Mountain Lion but is unknown whether it will work in Mavericks.  It involves substituting some old ML kexts, booting with the onboard graphics and then when booted, switching the HDMI cable from the onboard graphics port to the HD 6950.  This gives full resolution but no hardware acceleration.  You have several problems.  Your onboard graphics are HD 2000 which are not very compatible.  The kexts are old and might not work on Mavericks.  You are driving two monitors rather than one.

You can read about the fix on this page, 4th posting down: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1845.390.html

The link to the kexts: http://www.mediafire.com/download/aachen140zb1acv/ATI_HD_6950.zip

If upgrading the gpu, what about mainboard, cpu rams? could give my pc an upgrade xD its 2 years old xD

what about haswell cpus? should work from what i've read..

Edit:

Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3, LGA1150, CFX

Intel Core i5 4670 BOX, 3.4GHz, LGA 1150, 4C/4T

Corsair Vengeance LP 4x4GB, DDR3-1600, CL8@1.5V

Asus GTX-760 DirectCU II OC 2GB GDDR5, PCI-E x16 3.0, BAO

should work?

Performing major surgery on your computer is up to you.  Haswell is compatible with Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and Mavericks.

Why not install a new GPU and try it out for a while before you decide to redo everything?

If you go with a new mainboard, it is advisable that you check its specifications and be sure that you can identify kexts that are available to support it for ethernet, sound, etc., BEFORE you go to the time and expense of upgrading for OSX.