Asus Z87 motherboards - Successful Stories installing Mavericks

mariosk9gr

32 posts in this topic

Hello everyone

Im new to the forum and I would like to thank the people who made this real for PC users.

I had success last years with my 2 pcs running from the version of Snow Leopard until Mountain Lion 10.8.5 using Asus Maximus Formula X38 and Asus P5Q3.

As Im faithful to Asus I do not want to switch to Gigabyte boards which they have better support installing OS X and I thought that would be a good idea to open a

topic about people who have Asus and they need help and support installing Mavericks. As for now I was able to install Mavericks to my P5Q3 and I have already 

post the installation process to OSx86 Wiki.

Last Im building a new system with a 4770k that I have already bought and I don't know which Asus Z87 board to buy as I can't find too much info about successful

stories over the internet. I am between Maximus VI Formula, Z87 Sabertooth and VI Hero and my main reason using this building is video editing (Davinci Resolve, FCPX)

as these programs especially Resolve need a lot of power from Cpu/Gpu. As for the Gpu my budget wasn't big enough and I bought An Asus GTX 760 2GB. Any help choosing

the most compatible boards would be much appreciated and besides that I hope many people find this topic interesting to post their own stories using Asus boards.

Hello everyone

Im new to the forum and I would like to thank the people who made this real for PC users.

I had success last years with my 2 pcs running from the version of Snow Leopard until Mountain Lion 10.8.5 using Asus Maximus Formula X38 and Asus P5Q3.

As Im faithful to Asus I do not want to switch to Gigabyte boards which they have better support installing OS X and I thought that would be a good idea to open a

topic about people who have Asus and they need help and support installing Mavericks. As for now I was able to install Mavericks to my P5Q3 and I have already 

Last Im building a new system with a 4770k that I have already bought and I don't know which Asus Z87 board to buy as I can't find too much info about successful

stories over the internet. I am between Maximus VI Formula, Z87 Sabertooth and VI Hero and my main reason using this building is video editing (Davinci Resolve, FCPX)

as these programs especially Resolve need a lot of power from Cpu/Gpu. As for the Gpu my budget wasn't big enough and I bought An Asus GTX 760 2GB. Any help choosing

the most compatible boards would be much appreciated and besides that I hope many people find this topic interesting to post their own stories using Asus boards.

Same here! planning on 1150 to run on either Maximus VI Formula or Z87 Sabertooth. I heard latest version of Sabertooth requires no DSDT patches, please correct me if I'm wrong before i go all out and buy it lol. 

sure it works after updating the bios:

Link doesn't seem to work.

Edited by iFIRE
TonyCrap link
  • Like 1

sure it works after updating the bios:

I am posting from my Z87 Deluxe and no need to flash bios... just running the latest one from ASUS... using Clover to boot... still learning it all right now so didn't post mine as a success yet... 

Edited by iFIRE
TonyCrap link
  • Like 1

Here are my settings for booting a Z87 Pro using the 12XX bios. So I haven't updated to anything special beyond what I installed when I originally got the motherboard.

rbcskva.png

What I can't find is anyone who has found a way to control the fan speed. The default speed is a bit loud for me, but ethernet, my triple monitors running off of a 6850, and alc1150 audio are all working after a bit of tweaking.

• Like 1

Great so until now Asus Z87 Deluxe and Pro are compatible to run Mavericks!

I would like to remind a guide that I found from the forum which explains step by step how to install clover.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282787-clover-v2-instructions/

About Z87 Sabertooth i think that this board will work just fine as it has for lan controller Intel i217V and for audio Realtek ALC1150... I really don't find any reason why it shouldn't work.

Great so until now Asus Z87 Deluxe and Pro are compatible to run Mavericks!

I would like to remind a guide that I found from the forum which explains step by step how to install clover.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282787-clover-v2-instructions/

About Z87 Sabertooth i think that this board will work just fine as it has for lan controller Intel i217V and for audio Realtek ALC1150... I really don't find any reason why it shouldn't work.

Hopefully so! And is the guide you link updated and works with 10.9?

• Like 1

I'm glad to report that Mavericks also runs on an Asus Z87 Deluxe / Quad.

The following is working:

- Speedstep (I'm using a patched BIOS witch I patched using PMPATCH and flashed using the USB BIOS Flashback)

- Both wired Ethernet controllers (after installing the RealtekRTL8111.kext)

- The wireless Ethernet controller (after installing the bcm4352.kext)

- Audio

- Both SATA controlers (even hotplug)

- iCloud & iMessage (took every trick I could find to get it to work, but it works...)

The following is not working:

- Thunderbolt (can't find a kext)

- Bluetooth (it is recognized by the system, but it just doesn't work, even after making the necessary config.plist modifications)

- Boot from harddrive (I have to boot from a Chameleon USB stick )

• Like 1

I'm glad to report that Mavericks also runs on an Asus Z87 Deluxe / Quad.

The following is working:

- Speedstep (I'm using a patched BIOS witch I patched using PMPATCH and flashed using the USB BIOS Flashback)

- Both wired Ethernet controllers (after installing the RealtekRTL8111.kext)

- Audio

- Both SATA controlers (even hotplug)

- iCloud & iMessage (took every trick I could find to get it to work, but it works...)

- Bluetooth (it is recognized by the system, but it just doesn't work, even after making the necessary config.plist modifications)

That's a shame that the bluetooth doesn't work. I need it, and since OS X recognizes it but it doesn't work, even if I use my working dongle, they might conflict.

What happens when you try to boot from the harddrive?

I'm really thinking about the Asus z87 deluxe... but those last two might make me change my mind.

• Like 1

That's a shame that the bluetooth doesn't work. I need it, and since OS X recognizes it but it doesn't work, even if I use my working dongle, they might conflict.

I'm really thinking about the Asus z87 deluxe... but those last two might make me change my mind.

as far as booting from ssd - i can boot with it on clover no problem...

bluetoth - i just disabled bluetooth in the bios and then inserted my trust dongle and its all good... 

• Like 1

as far as booting from ssd - i can boot with it on clover no problem...

bluetoth - i just disabled bluetooth in the bios and then inserted my trust dongle and its all good... 

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've actually never used clover bootloader--I'll have to research it. Is it specifically for SSDs? My OS X install isn't on a SSD yet (my Windows install is), so it sounds like I'll have a booting issue?

Bluetooth should be no problem then--although it would be nice to free up a USB port since I need every port for music equipment (part of the reason I like the deluxe with its 10 USB ports). I do have a couple PCI express USB cards if needed, though.

• Like 1

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've actually never used clover bootloader--I'll have to research it. Is it specifically for SSDs? My OS X install isn't on a SSD yet (my Windows install is), so it sounds like I'll have a booting issue?

Bluetooth should be no problem then--although it would be nice to free up a USB port since I need every port for music equipment (part of the reason I like the deluxe with its 10 USB ports). I do have a couple PCI express USB cards if needed, though.

i only learnt it 10 days ago... with help of other members here i was up and running pretty fast.. having a few days off then will tinker with my clover setup more.... i still have a lot to learn...

http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Contents

i installed clover to USB first then its now on my test HDD and my normal SSD...

i am sure there will be a fix bluetooth soon enough - it was fine under ML but something in Mavericks is different... 

• Like 1

i only learnt it 10 days ago... with help of other members here i was up and running pretty fast.. having a few days off then will tinker with my clover setup more.... i still have a lot to learn...

http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Contents

i installed clover to USB first then its now on my test HDD and my normal SSD...

i am sure there will be a fix bluetooth soon enough - it was fine under ML but something in Mavericks is different... 

Did you try the bluetooth family kext from ML that worked with it?

• Like 1

IThe following is working:

No need to patch the BIOS.  SpeedStep is not working in Haswell with non native hardware. XCPM is loading; nothing between idle and max non Turbo. Turbo is working.  

BCM4352 BT is not working in 10.9, suggest this native working BT 4.0 dongle, GMYLE Micro USB Bluetooth 4.0 Dongle Dual Mode Wireless Adapter | GMYLE

BCM4352 WiFi, 5GHz is not working

Asus 8 Series BIOS does not support legacy boot on GPT partitions.  Chameleon USB/MBR is a workaround. Clover UEFI is preferred. No difference with hard drive or solid state drives.

• Like 1

No need to patch the BIOS.  SpeedStep is not working in Haswell with non native hardware. XCPM is loading; nothing between idle and max non Turbo. Turbo is working.  

BCM4352 BT is not working in 10.9, suggest this native working BT 4.0 dongle, GMYLE Micro USB Bluetooth 4.0 Dongle Dual Mode Wireless Adapter | GMYLE

BCM4352 WiFi, 5GHz is not working

Asus 8 Series BIOS does not support legacy boot on GPT partitions.  Chameleon USB/MBR is a workaround. Clover UEFI is preferred. No difference with hard drive or solid state drives.

Very informative! Cleared some of my doubts. Anyway I'm confused about this sentence "SpeedStep is not working in Haswell with non native hardware.".

• Like 1

Onboard bluetooth unfortunately as Im searching its not supported yet.. hope a kext comes soon but again as Scott_donald said you should not have problem with a usb one.

Clover is a must to boot from hdd and preferred for Asus boards.Im wondering if this process works with ROG and TUF series also.

Speedstep controls your cpu power management so you can save power when your mac is on idle state just like windows but I think that it doesn't work on Mavericks so your cpu remain at normal speed in idle mode 

but can also use the turbo mode when a program asks for more processing power from cpu.

It just won't boot from the harddrive. Nothing happens. 

I created a dedicated Chameleon boot stick which solved the problem. 

About the Bluetooth... I also disabled it in my BIOS and I've ordered a bluetooth dongle.

• Like 1

Hello everyone

Did you get sound working on your P5Q3.  I have the P5Q3 deluxe with Mavericks installed and running but no sound.

What did you do to get your sound working?

Links would be helpful.

Thanks

Hi snifferpro

Unfortunately Im using x-fi fatality champion series and I have installed a kext with kext wizard which supports only 2ch audio without mic support and I'm ok with it cause I'm using a usb headset.

I haven't even try to see if its working with onboard audio but now I will give it a try tomorrow and I will let you know.

Btw people Maximus VI Gene is already running Mavericks without any issues so far... 

Update:

Onboard audio unfortunately isn't working... if I find a kext I will let you know.

So I got my z87 deluxe and am able to but into Mavericks using chameleon on a usb stick. Sometimes my menu bar goes transparent and it looks ugly... not sure if that is an issue with my GTX 780 or not.  Everything else but bluetooth, sleep, and clover are working.

I really need sleep to work, is the only way to do that by flashing a hacked uefi firmware? I run windows on this machine and like to stay current with my BIOS instead of waiting for the hacked versions to come out. With a good DSDT power management should work properly, right?

It'll be great when we figure bluetooth out. Is it a matter of just adding the device ID to the kext, maybe?

Now, I want to be able to boot off the hard drive instead of usb stick, but I can't get clover to work. It gives me a kernel panic immediately saying something like: Unable to find driver for this platform:\"ACPI\". I'm sure someone else has ran into that. Any idea how to fix that without flashing the uefi (not sure if that would fix it either)?

Thanks and I'm glad we have a thread going for this!

Edit: Oh, I have audio working with VoodooHDA. It doesn't look like it lists all the ports for surround sound. Does anyone have it working with the native drivers?

• Like 1

So I got my z87 deluxe and am able to but into Mavericks using chameleon on a usb stick. Sometimes my menu bar goes transparent and it looks ugly... not sure if that is an issue with my GTX 780 or not.  Everything else but bluetooth, sleep, and clover are working.

I really need sleep to work, is the only way to do that by flashing a hacked uefi firmware? I run windows on this machine and like to stay current with my BIOS instead of waiting for the hacked versions to come out. With a good DSDT power management should work properly, right?

It'll be great when we figure bluetooth out. Is it a matter of just adding the device ID to the kext, maybe?

Now, I want to be able to boot off the hard drive instead of usb stick, but I can't get clover to work. It gives me a kernel panic immediately saying something like: Unable to find driver for this platform:\"ACPI\". I'm sure someone else has ran into that. Any idea how to fix that without flashing the uefi (not sure if that would fix it either)?

Thanks and I'm glad we have a thread going for this!

Edit: Oh, I have audio working with VoodooHDA. It doesn't look like it lists all the ports for surround sound. Does anyone have it working with the native drivers?

sound with help from mirone or toledo works o/b with most folk except me it seems....

no need to flash... mentioned clover in the other thread...

sleep is fine for me... 

Hopefully Toleda or someone has time for the bluetooth but i use a dongle so not a massive deal for me... 

• Like 1

sound with help from mirone or toledo works o/b with most folk except me it seems....

no need to flash... mentioned clover in the other thread...

sleep is fine for me... 

Hopefully Toleda or someone has time for the bluetooth but i use a dongle so not a massive deal for me... 

I'm not sure how you got sleep to work without doing the firmware update. Maybe it's a video card issue? Are you using a DSDT/SSDT at all?

Also, you didn't get any issue with clover, or are you saying you did but this other thread has the fix? I'll look for the thread you're referring to and see if it's discussed. Do you have a link to the post discussing this? If not, I'm sure I'll find it.

I'll check out sound and see if I can get anything going with that as well.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how you got sleep to work without doing the firmware update. Maybe it's a video card issue? Are you using a DSDT/SSDT at all?

Also, you didn't get any issue with clover, or are you saying you did but this other thread has the fix? I'll look for the thread you're referring to and see if it's discussed. Do you have a link to the post discussing this? If not, I'm sure I'll find it.

I'll check out sound and see if I can get anything going with that as well.

no DSDT at all right now... had one and been without now... both worked for me...

my 660GTX works straight out of the box.... hence why i went for that over a better one... 

i did off my USB the other day.... was testing something on my test drive with it... i just booted off my SSD which works fine... so thought nothing of it... was testing audio o/b....

this is the thread i posted in prior to this -

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290187-a-guide-to-mavericks-on-asus-z87-deluxe-4770k/page-7?do=findComment&comment=1963484

also sound -

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293001-mavericks-realtek-alc-applehda-audio/

• Like 1