Gigabyte X58A-UD5, running 10.7.5, best approach to Mavericks?

DKMN

10 posts in this topic

Hello All, 

In addition my my newer X79 system (now running on Mavericks thanks to RampageDev), I have an older Gigabyte X58A-UD5 system, still back on 10.7.5.  

(graphics right now is a single Nvidia 9800GT)

I've got a vanilla myHack installation able to boot, but obviously no network support etc without a proper DSDT or kexts.  

I don't see any recent DSDTs for this board and have not yet got the older DSDT to boot under 10.9.  Is anyone running this board with 10.8.5 or 10.9?  

If not, any general thoughts on the best approach for this vintage?  (e.g. DSDT, vanilla + kext-by-kext, etc)?  

I tried some naive approaches with Pandora's Box, but bricked it up pretty fast.  

Happy to synthesize and post what I can learn...

Thanks for any pointers,

David

Your motherboard has a RTL8111E

This is a very popular chipset. Lnx2Mac works perfectly

Yes, working now.  After getting up-and-running with myHack, I just manually copied in Lnx2Mac's kext with KextHelper and it works.  Thanks!  I think a big part of getting things to work 

for me recently has been starting from know basics (e.g. minimal kexts from myHack), rather than using the all in one installers.  

I did keep the DSDT in place so there are hard references to the onboard ethernet, audio, etc... Do I understand correctly that you are saying it should detect correctly without any DSDT at all?

(just curious)

Do you know offhand if power management should work in a straightforward manner as well? (do I need a specific version of AICPM?)  I've been out of the swim with this board for a while, 

so not sure what the expected status would be.  

David

I did keep the DSDT in place so there are hard references to the onboard ethernet, audio, etc... Do I understand correctly that you are saying it should detect correctly without any DSDT at all?

(just curious)

On your X58 system, should you have a fully working DSDT, Mavericks installed with MyHack should work perfectly.

Not all X58 products are created equally. hp/Compaq's X58 product (Z400) won't work on OS X (at least mine would not).

I have Mavericks running on two different X58 systems: a Dell Studio XPS 9100 (Core i7-920) and an MSI X58A-GD45 (Xeon W3520), both using MyHack, with a little help from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] For Mountain Lion (this was before Mavericks was officially released, and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] was updated accordingly) and both are solid as a rock.

While I sometimes resort to a DSDT-less installation of OS X, I always follow it up with a customized DSDT for maximum OS X compatibility.

This can be particularly important on a 7- or 8-Series mobo, where the USB systems are distinct (UHCI and EHCI in one group and xHCI in another group), and you want all USBs, whether 3.0 or 2.0/1.1 to operate seamlessly as is all were in the very same group. This requires a lot of DSDT hacking to provide the "multiplexing" function, but the effort is worth the improved result.

Yes, working now.  After getting up-and-running with myHack, I just manually copied in Lnx2Mac's kext with KextHelper and it works.  Thanks!  I think a big part of getting things to work 

for me recently has been starting from know basics (e.g. minimal kexts from myHack), rather than using the all in one installers.  

(just curious)

Do you know offhand if power management should work in a straightforward manner as well? (do I need a specific version of AICPM?)  I've been out of the swim with this board for a while, 

so not sure what the expected status would be.  

David

You can keep that DSDT if you wish. It won't harm your setup at all. 

Personally I let my boot loader (Clover) patch my DSDT for me. But thats just how I prefer it.

As for the power management working, this is the best way to approach it: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/132-aicpmpatch/

@PeterHaas:

Thank you. That is very helpful.  The only thing that doesn't work right now is power management.  The version of AICPM I have causes a kernel panic at boot (I have generate C and P states = "Yes" in org.chameleon.boot.plist).  Do you have power management running and if so did you have to do any 10.9-specific edits to your DSDT?

David

ETA: ameris_cyning just posted as I wrote the above...

I'll check out that link. I assume this works with 10.8.5 and 10.9?  Thanks!  

@PeterHaas:

Thank you. That is very helpful.  The only thing that doesn't work right now is power management.  The version of AICPM I have causes a kernel panic at boot (I have generate C and P states = "Yes" in org.chameleon.boot.plist).  Do you have power management running and if so did you have to do any 10.9-specific edits to your DSDT?

David

ETA: ameris_cyning just posted as I wrote the above...

I'll check out that link. I assume this works with 10.8.5 and 10.9?  Thanks!  

Yeppers. It works with Mavericks.

I know this because I patched my own not knowing that AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement is no longer loaded for Haswell systems (its handled by the kernel)

• Like 1

Are other edits also required?  E.g. explicitly adding state info in the DSDT, generating an SSDT, etc.?  I have found a lot of "info" about power management but I am unsure what solutions overlap each other.  I used the link you provided to patch the original AICPM from the installer package, and the system boots, but no throttling of CPU freq is noticeable (I am using HWMonitor via FakeSMC to check this... I assume it's valid). 

Thanks again for your help,

David

I don't use a modified DSDT. I do however have my boot loader load P and C states for me.

I have to specify these in order for SpeedStep and Turbo to work

Thanks!  Sorry, I missed your email for a few days due to a spam filter.  

I tried a number of settings (last was DropSSDT=Yes, SSDT=Yes, Generate P and C states, along with a custom SSDT for CPU states).  Turns out I got it working after adjusting the BIOS settings (I think enable C1E).  Still learning about power states so it's a little "empirical" unfortunately.  I have to go back and clean up my configuration (Extra, etc) as I'm sure I've got redundant settings.  

Anyhow, your response helps with this, so thanks!

DK