[Guide] [Mavericks & Yosemite] AMD Radeon HD5450

Dr. Hurt

214 posts in this topic

Sorry I have another question.

What needs to be changed on the kext for it to work when osx is updated.

For example what do I have to change in the kext I used for 10.9.3 if I upgrade to 10.9.4.

Thank you

You just have to re-add ID's in AMDRadeon5000Controller.kext and AMDRadeonX3000.kext, repair permission on S/L/E and rebuild the cache (sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions) and reboot.

I just did it for my 5450 after 10.9.4 update and it worked fine. Another solution is to keep a copy of the mods Kexts and install them after every update (in case of the graphics drivers are updated but useless if it's a Security update) but the drawback is that you'll end up with severely depreciated kexts when we'll got 10.9.58 Update :hysterical:

The ultimate fix is to create a DSDT with correct infos for your GFX and you'll never be annoy anymore with .plist edits. Dr Hurt should be able to help you with this as I'm not skilled (or smart enough :rolleyes: to understand these damn DSDT way !)

Thanks. I tried using the 10.9.3 kext once I updated to 10.9.4 but I still did not get the gfx to work correctly.

The process of I followed was:

1. Download the combo update.

2. Run the update and let the pc restart.

3 . Once restarted run kext wizard which run throughout once.

4. Install the gpu kext that worked with 10.9.3 with kext wizard.

5. Check if launcher gfx works correctly, if not reboot and try 4 again.

Thanks

The best solution, beside DSDT; is always to edit the new kexts installed by the update because you're up-to-date with the latest drivers and hopefully, you should benefits their enhancements and optimizations.

So I'd say, :

1/ Run the Combo update or use AppStore to get the latest version of OS X.

2/ Restart and let the update finish

3/ Install every kexts you need such as AppleHDA edited kext  etc. but in case of GFX, try first to edit info.plist of the new Kexts (which in our case are AMDRadeon5000Controller.kext & AMDRadeonX3000.kext)

4/ Run Maintenance tools from Kext Wizard and repair permissions on E/E and S/L/E and the whole disk is also a good option (after System Update, lots of files have incorrect permissions anyway).

5/ Reboot once again and it should be OK.

The best solution, beside DSDT; is always to edit the new kexts installed by the update because you're up-to-date with the latest drivers and hopefully, you should benefits their enhancements and optimizations.

So I'd say, :

1/ Run the Combo update or use AppStore to get the latest version of OS X.

2/ Restart and let the update finish

3/ Install every kexts you need such as AppleHDA edited kext etc. but in case of GFX, try first to edit info.plist of the new Kexts (which in our case are AMDRadeon5000Controller.kext & AMDRadeonX3000.kext)

4/ Run Maintenance tools from Kext Wizard and repair permissions on E/E and S/L/E and the whole disk is also a good option (after System Update, lots of files have incorrect permissions anyway).

5/ Reboot once again and it should be OK.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. It worked. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Good Morning, I really could do with some help on this for my Hackintosh to use my HD5450 correctly, I presume that when I have this done, Preview and other apps with display correctly and not freeze?

Good Morning, I really could do with some help on this for my Hackintosh to use my HD5450 correctly, I presume that when I have this done, Preview and other apps with display correctly and not freeze?

Would it be possible for someone to check my DSDT? Many thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

Sorry to bother you again. I am trying to get the gpu working with 10.10 but not success.

I followed what you have said but the first time I installed the amended kexts I got duplicate screens, but the gpu still did not work correctly.

Do I have to do anything different if I am using clover as the boot loader?

Also which kext wizard should I be using with 10.10?

Thank you

Clover is a different beast than Chameleon ;)

You don't need to edit the kexts with Clover if you choose ATI Injection in the config.plist. If you did, that certainly explains why you're experiencing duplicate screens or other artefacts. Clover is acting like a live DSDT as it injects Fake IDs to kexts without the need to edit the info.plist.

So as long as you use Clover, kexts edits isn't required anymore ;-) hence, you should re-install the originals kexts and let Clover do the job. All you have to do is to set Inject ATI to Yes in config.plist.

But if you go back to Chameleon (which works pretty fine with Yosemite now even if there's still issues with kernel cache) you'll have to go back the old way… or try DSDT patching…

For Kext Wizard, it works fine in Yosemite but again, using Clover change a lot of things. If you want to inject kexts, you have to put them in a 10.10 folder in /EFI/Clover/kexts. That's it.

Have a look at the Clover Wiki to understand how it works.

Heuuu… I think I had the same issue with DPs and even Clover failed to fix it without editing the kexts.

So what I have said above SHOULD be the way it works with Clover, but now I remember that it wasn't enough :P

But for the split or duplicated screens, I didn't had this issue so I don't know what's going wrong. Maybe a permissions problems :wacko:

You guys should give a try to DSDT patching ;)

You can send me IOReg & fresh extracted DSDT and I'll have a look at them if you want.

• Like 1

Hi

Sorry to bother you again. I have run ioreg and saved the report from both mavericks and yosemite.

For some reason I cannot run DSDT extract from yosemite, it just does not do anything. Will the files from my mavericks install do?

Thank you

Well I do have the same issue under Yosemite. Use MaciASL to extract DSDT from this OS.

If you have a DSDT extracted from Mavericks, it will be just fine because a DSDT is just a kind of map from your Bios. That's why you can extract it from Windows, OS X or Linux, no matter the OS, it will ever be the same.

Well I do have the same issue under Yosemite. Use MaciASL to extract DSDT from this OS.

If you have a DSDT extracted from Mavericks, it will be just fine because a DSDT is just a kind of map from your Bios. That's why you can extract it from Windows, OS X or Linux, no matter the OS, it will ever be the same.

Thank you sir. I will send across a link in a bit.

Hi @polyzargone ,

I was using HD5450 successfully in Mavericks using the DSDT edit mentioned at  OP, now I’m trying to boot 10.10 USB install media using Clover boot loader with just ATIInject but I’m struck at [iOBLuetoothHCIController]... which Implies it’s not able to load the Graphics Kexts properly. Have I missed anything ? should I remove the edit from the DSDT before using clover ? any pointers would be helpful. Thanks.

Did you put your DSDT in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched folder ? In your config.plist, did you set DSDT.aml (or whatever you named it) in the ACPI section ?

If so, you shouldn't need to check Inject ATI.

But if it's just for the install, you can still remove your DSDT from your USB Install media and check Inject ATI. Not sure if it'll work cause as stated above, I had troubles with Clover and HD 5450 injection and had to finaly edit kexts info.plist to make it works.

But guys, Chameleon is still alive !!! There's a perfectly working USB Install package with Chameleon in the InsanelyMac Yosemite's installation section http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301138-new-usb-installer-os-x-yosemite-chameleon-enoch-r2403/.

I'm using it for all my Hacks (AMD & nVidia) and I've got a bunch of them ;) !

It works perfect with non edited kexts (no QE/CI but who cares, it's just an install media) AND patched DSDTs  !

@d620OSX

There was no loaded DSDT when you extracted IOReg & DSDT ?

Seems there are already some patches applied to the one you send me… like DTGP and GFX

If possible, I would prefer an untouched DSDT from a DSDT free booted setup !

Sorry for the silly question but how do I get a untouched DSDT?

I downloaded the program and ran it on the mavericks install, saved the file.

Do I need a new install or just boot using the usb I created for 10.10 into mavericks and run the extract.

Thank you

No silly questions, ever ;)

I try to understand how you did :

You boot mavericks with Clover or Chameleon ? With mods kexts or originals ?

Have you previously boot with a DSDT at the root of your HDD and/or in Extra ?

By untouched I mean a non patch by any means DSDT. You said you've just installed and ran MaciASL and extract the file. Fine. But in your DSDT there are something callled DTGP and it shouldn't be there because it's a patch applied to "enable" others patches. So I don't know how and why it's there.

But I may be totally wrong, I'm definitely not an DSDT expert, I've just had some success with my own setups :)

So what we can try, is to boot Mavericks with Chameleon and boot-flag DSDT=No to be really sure, then open up Chameleon Wizard, go to DSDT panel, Compile/Extract and click Extract. No more. And at the same time, save a new IOReg.

Don't boot with Clover if possible cause it may interfer with DSDT extraction (really not sure about that but it maybe safier :P )

• Like 1