[Guide] [Mavericks & Yosemite] AMD Radeon HD5450

Dr. Hurt

214 posts in this topic

Introduction:

After seeing a lot of people having trouble getting the Radeon HD5450 working with Mavericks, I decided to make a guide.

The card works perfectly without any graphics enabler as long as the proper device ids are in place.

Guides made for Mountain Lion are obsolete because Apple changed the kext names.

--- The are two ways to get the HD5450 to work properly in Mavericks:

1- Injecting a compatible fake-id (in this case, 68E01002) via DSDT. This has the advantage of using Apple's stock kexts and thus no need to re-patch kexts with every system update. 

2- Adding your specific device-id to the appropriate kexts. This is probably easier, but you'll have to redo it everytime you update the system.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1- Inject a compatible fake-id via DSDT. (Recommended if you have the skills)

All you need is to add the following code in the appropriate location in your DSDT (usually under PEG0, PEGP, or P0P1).

PS. With this method you *must* use the original unmodified kexts.

Device (GFX0)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)
                    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
                        {
                            Return (Buffer (One)
                            {
                                0x03
                            })
                        }
                        Return (Package ()
                        {
                            "device-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0xE0, 0x68, 0x00, 0x00
                            }, 
                            "ATY,DeviceID", 
                            Buffer (0x02)
                            {
                                0xE0, 0x68
                            }, 
                            "vendor-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x02, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
                            }, 
                            "ATY,VendorID", 
                            Buffer (0x02)
                            {
                                0x02, 0x10
                            }, 
                            "AAPL,slot-name", 
                            Buffer (0x07)
                            {
                                "Slot-1"
                            }, 
                            "@0,AAPL,boot-display", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                            }
                        })
                    }
                }
2- Add the device id of your GPU to the appropriate kexts.

Add your device-id to the cedar section of the AMDRadeonX3000.kext and anywhere in the AMD5000Controller.kext

- Go to /System/Library/Extensions/ 
- Copy AMDRadeonX3000.kext and AMD5000Controller.kext to your desktop

- Right click on the AMD5000Controller.kext and click show contents.
- Open the info.plist (using TextEdit or any plist editor)
- Find the IOPCIMatch key and you'll see many device-ids
- Change any of those device-ids with yours (eg. 68981002 -> 68F91002)
- Save (make sure you don't change file extension)

- Right click on the AMDRadeonX3000.kext and click show contents.
- Open info.plist
- Find the AMDCedarGraphicsAccelerator
- Under IOPCIMatch, change 68E01002 to 68F91002
- Save

Use Kext Wizard to reinstall the modified kexts.

===============================================================================================================

Further Considerations:

1- Power Management

a- I use MacPro3,1 smbios to avoid loading AGPM and my temperature and performance are very acceptable.

b- You can experiment with different smbios (mainly iMac11,2 and 11,1) which will load AGPM.

2-  Framebuffers:

a- You can either use the Eulemur or the Generic framebuffer. My tests show no performance difference.

b- Eulemur breaks sleep with DVI and HDMI monitors. VGA works fine though!

c- Clover and Chameleon will automatically set framebuffer to Eulemur so I strongly recommend you disable the graphics injector features. 

3-  VESA modes (aka. boot resolution)

a- Chameleon's resolution module can patch the vbios and give you full resolution during boot.

b- Clover's built-in vbios patcher works perfectly too. 

c- VGA does not work in either case. The bootloader fails to read the EDID to obtain the optimal resolution.

4- Clover:

a- Clover's graphics injector has the ability to inject a fake id

b- As stated before, the injector automatically set framebuffer to Eulemur and thus breaks sleep. 

• Like 9

Hello !

Just to be sure, my ID is 68F91002, where should I modify the value in your exemple ?

And If I follow the DSDT method, wil I have to put back the original values for the Apple's Kexts or I can leave it them and wait for the next update to use my DSDT edit ?

Thanks !

Ok thxs ! That's the way I'm used to.

But I 'd like to try the DSDT method to avoid dointg it at every updates. I can send you a chamerleon's generated DSDT if you want because I'm not really sure where to place my IDs.

It could also fix my sleep issues which never worked for me and for the cosmetic part of this, it could finally display "Radeon HD 5450" in my System profile :-)

DSDT.zip

Hey I managed to upgrade from 10.8.4 to 10.9 without any issues the only thing is the graphics, have got ATI Radeon HD 5450 (device id 68F91002). if I use AMDRadeonX3000 with with edited AMD5000Controller i get kernel panic. If I remove AMDRadeonX3000 it loads up I. My hack recognizes the card. but QC/CI isn't fine (while on the top of it might look fine. but animation flickers.) I have tried to patch the DSDT with your above method, but I am not sure if I am doing it right, can you please check the dsdt and let me know if I have patched it correctly(inserted the code in the right place) Please help me fix this

dsdt.aml 2.zip

@geekyan:

You did two mistakes. First, you added your own id instead of the fake one to the DSDT. And the second is that your DSDT doesn't have a display bridge (PEG0), so I added it for you.

Restore all the original kexts before you use this DSDT.

dsdt.aml.zip

Thanks a lot bro for the edited dsdt. really grateful. 

I restored the original kexts, placed the dsdt in extra and booted up. Now, I am getting original res. with the orig. kext and no kernel panic with AMDRadeonX3000.kext in the S/L/E folder. But still No QE/CI :(

I just can't figure what could possibly being going wrong. I even added GraphicsEnabler=Yes and AtiConfig=Eulemur in org.chameleon.Boot.plist and rebooted but still no luck. There is even device-property key ( which i had used to for <10.8.4 ) in boot.plist. 

Do you think i missing out something. I was really hoping the dsdt.aml patch would fix things.

Thanks for your help

hi dr . one question, im using the dsdt u did to geekgyan, but now i cannot access to my sata hd connected to my hackintosh , before i install the dsdt , no qe/ci but i used to access my other hd, and i try but no use, my hd doesnt appears on desktop, any info willbe appreciated

Thanks a lot bro for the edited dsdt. really grateful. 

I restored the original kexts, placed the dsdt in extra and booted up. Now, I am getting original res. with the orig. kext and no kernel panic with AMDRadeonX3000.kext in the S/L/E folder. But still No QE/CI :(

I just can't figure what could possibly being going wrong. I even added GraphicsEnabler=Yes and AtiConfig=Eulemur in org.chameleon.Boot.plist and rebooted but still no luck. There is even device-property key ( which i had used to for <10.8.4 ) in boot.plist. 

Do you think i missing out something. I was really hoping the dsdt.aml patch would fix things.

Thanks for your help

Remove the Graphics enabler, and ATIConfig option and the efi strings. 

Make sure that the X3000 kext is loaded. Check the extensions section in the system profiler.

hi dr . one question, im using the dsdt u did to geekgyan, but now i cannot access to my sata hd connected to my hackintosh , before i install the dsdt , no qe/ci but i used to access my other hd, and i try but no use, my hd doesnt appears on desktop, any info willbe appreciated

You can't use someone else's DSDT. Its system specific. 

ooooh jeje i didnt know that!! sorry, but i cant modify my amdcontroller5000 cause there is no plist to modify, the conten shows only 2 folders but no plist inside. if u can send me the amd controller modified? thanks for the answers

Hey Dr. Hurt.  Finally Got HD 5450 working with full QE/CI. All thanks to YOU.

After trying (n) number of times with all different options. I had a feeling, I should make sure the AMDRadeonX3000.kext and AMD5000Controller.kext are actually the original ones. I had put these file and temp. folder on the desktop.

Just to be sure I mounted the OSX Mavericks installer and extracted the above two files from the .pkg files and installed them with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]

Rebooted with your suggest steps and edited dsdt.aml and Voila, I have a fully working Mavericks with ATI Radeon HD 5450 with full QE/CI.

(so basically, dint' realize those two kexts must have got replaced by edited ones)

And Plus, with the dsdt patch, I might not have to bother with future updates. Super Awesome.

Thanks Again.

Remove the Graphics enabler, and ATIConfig option and the efi strings. 

Make sure that the X3000 kext is loaded. Check the extensions section in the system profiler.

You can't use someone else's DSDT. Its system specific. 

thanks doc, i didnt knew about dsdt, but when i try to edit info.plist appears invisible!! if i send to u mydsdt personal will u edit for me?

thanks doc, i didnt knew about dsdt, but when i try to edit info.plist appears invisible!! if i send to u mydsdt personal will u edit for me?

Sure, just upload it.

selam doctor

hope can attach me here, need support.

Have a Radeon HD 3600 (RV635), which kext files I need to adjust it? also the AMD5000Controller or else?

or can someone help me how do I get this running RV635 with qe / ci on Mavericks?

greeting coban

OSX Mavericks 10.9 (13A603)
SMBIOS iMac 12,2
HP DC7900
Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.66Ghz
ICH10R
Ati Radeon HD 3600 (RV635)

dsdt.zip

post-364056-0-22774400-1382792684_thumb.jpg

hi dr. i finally made it, but i have another issue ,: when i add string to amd5000controller and x3000, then kextutility to repair permissions, when mavericks boots audio its disable!! if i restore original kexts audio its ok but graphics are again laggy, i mean if i edit kexts audio drooped next time i boot, i use voodoo 2.8.2

Dr. Hurt, for some reason my AMD500Controller.kext does't have either an info.plist or a version.plist, otherwise that would be a piece of cake, since i've been adding my device ID (68F91002) to these since 10.7.5. So, could you either upload your edited kexts or at least the package contents for the AMD5000? 

All the best!

• Like 1

I confess i'm having lots of difficulties to enable my HD 5450 Silent (device 0x68F91002) under Mavericks. The procedures i took for granted until now - editing the ATI5000 and the AMDx3000 kexts, adding Toleda's patch to my DSDT so i have HDMI audio and booting with GraphicsEnabler=No - aren't working for me this time: the stock AMD5000Controler.kext (formerly ATI5000) doesn't appear to have either an Info.plist or a Version.plist (it's not simply invisible, since ShowAllFiles doesn't make them to show up) and adding them by pasting Lion's both files didn't help at all. The result is i don't have either QE/Ci or proper resolution for my 40'' screen (connected via HDMI) or audio when I boot with GraphicsEnabler=No, and with GE=Yes i'd be stuck indefinitely with the spinning boot wheel. I'm yet to perform these troubleshooting steps:

- Boot without my current DSDT (thus using GE=Yes): i don't know if something changed from ML to Mavericks in this regard;

- Boot with PCIRootUID=1, both with and without my current DSDT;

- Copy the plists from ML's kext instead of Lion's and apply all above steps.

If this doesn't take me anywhere, i'll really need help and will report here.

All the best!

Yeah, same problem for me except that my IDs are different. I've got an MSI Radeon HD 5450 1 GB with id : 0x68f91002 and another one from Sapphire with id : 0x68e01002.

Like the others, my AMD5000Controller.kext has no info.plist on my both configs. I have restored them from the installer and replace the corrupted ones on my both systems. I've uncheck GraphicsEnabler and ATI Config with Chamelon Wizard but I still have no QE/CI support and even system freezes. With the editing method it's OK but I really want to use the DSDT way because it should solve my sleep issues.

Did I miss something ?

Yeah, same problem for me except that my IDs are different. I've got an MSI Radeon HD 5450 1 GB with id : 0x68f91002 and another one from Sapphire with id : 0x68e01002.

Like the others, my AMD5000Controller.kext has no info.plist on my both configs. I have restored them from the installer and replace the corrupted ones on my both systems. I've uncheck GraphicsEnabler and ATI Config with Chamelon Wizard but I still have no QE/CI support and even system freezes. With the editing method it's OK but I really want to use the DSDT way because it should solve my sleep issues.

Did I miss something ?

Here is the DSDT you uploaded a few post back (patched with the fake id).

Is this the one you wanted to patch?

dsdt.aml.zip

Dr. Hurt, for some reason my AMD500Controller.kext does't have either an info.plist or a version.plist, otherwise that would be a piece of cake, since i've been adding my device ID (68F91002) to these since 10.7.5. So, could you either upload your edited kexts or at least the package contents for the AMD5000? 

All the best!

Thats strange. I have the plists in their place, as usual.

Here are the patched kexts.

(The forum uploader is not working for me).

http://www.speedyshare.com/anQQG/patched-kexts.zip