Mavericks Realtek ALC AppleHDA Audio

toleda

470 posts in this topic

@toleda, I figured that if I want to have working sound right from the USB Installer, I need to run your script from the root of the actual USB stick. Which is ok. Not sure if this could have been done from my computer's Desktop, for example... Right now, if I do that, it says EFI not found, even though it's mounted (the EFI on the USB, of course). But anyway, I got this sorted out by running the script from the root of the USB stick.

What I didn't quite understand is why doesn't it download realtekALC.kext into EFI>EFI>CLOVER>kexts>10.9 folder unless I'm running the script from an actual Mavericks computer? Is it detecting the running OS version (in my case Yosemite) or the one on the USB stick? Cause it seems to be working alright if I run the script from the USB stick, while I'm booted up into a Mavericks machine. Can this be fixed so that someone can make a USB stick with working sound, using your script, from whichever environment he has available at that moment by taking into account the OS on the stick rather than the one the user is logged in at the time?

it says EFI not found, even though it's mounted (the EFI on the USB)

What I didn't quite understand is why doesn't it download realtekALC.kext into EFI>EFI>CLOVER>kexts>10.9 folder unless I'm running the script from an actual Mavericks computer?

The script uses the EFI that is mounted; ssd, usb, etc.  I use EFI Mounter-v2.  Have never seen the problem you describe with a mounted visible Finder/EFI volume.

The script is designed to install audio on the booted system. The script verifies system version, native AppleHDA.kext and IOReg for HDEF, codec device_id and layout-id to ensure audio works on restart.  IOReg is only available with a booted system.  Script variables can be set for a specific codec on a specific system version to any mounted EFI partition; not tested.  No disrespect intended, my experience shows many users, given 7 codec choices, frequently make the wrong choice. The current script results in near 100% audio installation success.

The script uses the EFI that is mounted; ssd, usb, etc.  I use EFI Mounter-v2.  Have never seen the problem you describe with a mounted visible Finder/EFI volume.

I'll try this again tonight and get back to you on this. I'm not blaming the script for that. The problem might be somewhere else since trying to cd into that location, from a terminal, will output the same result (no such file or directory). Which is weird, since this does not happen when the EFI on the HDD is mounted.

On another note, I've got some weird issues with my EFI partition being always mounted when booting up my PC. Not sure why this is happening. But might be a reason for this... I'll try to test this some more. Again, I'm not blaming the script for it since it doesn't seem to work when trying to manually browse into that partition either. So..yeah...we'll see about this.

IOReg is only available with a booted system. Script variables can be set for a specific codec on a specific system version to any mounted EFI partition; not tested.

Are there any conflicts if let's say someone runs the script on Yosemite, but he wants the script to change/patch things on a USB stick containing Mavericks? I'm not sure why does it work when booted into Mavericks, but not when booted into Yosemite. Is it because of the IOreg being different? And when I say it doesn't work, I mean that, even though the script runs ok and doesn't return any error message (is it's run from the root of the USB stick) it doesn't get realtekALC.kext into the corresponding folder if the booted OS is different than the one for which it needs to get the kext for. Such as a Yosemite machine requesting the kext for a Mavericks USB installation.

I agree that the script works very well. I just thought that maybe we can make it work just as well from a bootable USB stick, since here there seem to be some issues. :)

The always moun

I've got some weird issues with my EFI partition being always mounted when booting up my PC.

just thought that maybe we can make it work just as well from a bootable USB stick,

The mounted ssd/EFI is the problem.  Use Terminal or EFI Mounter-v2 to unmount ssd/EFI and same tool to mount usb/EFI.  cd will not work.

I have never tried to install audio on a OS X usb installer, however, the usb/EFI partition is configured  (ssdts, config.plist, kexts, etc.) to completely support the system being installed.

The script uses SysVers and installs the kext in the EFI/,,/kexts folder for the version running.  I use the same EFI folder for Mavericks and Yosemite partitions. I ran the script once for each system.  Result is audio works on both systems from the same ssd/EFI partition.  As well, booting with the OSX usb installer results in working audio, once the script has been run on the new install.

The always moun

The mounted ssd/EFI is the problem.  Use Terminal or EFI Mounter-v2 to unmount ssd/EFI and same tool to mount usb/EFI.  cd will not work.

I have never tried to install audio on a OS X usb installer, however, the usb/EFI partition is configured  (ssdts, config.plist, kexts, etc.) to completely support the system being installed.

The script uses SysVers and installs the kext in the EFI/,,/kexts folder for the version running.  I use the same EFI folder for Mavericks and Yosemite partitions. I ran the script once for each system.  Result is audio works on both systems from the same ssd/EFI partition.  As well, booting with the OSX usb installer results in working audio, once the script has been run on the new install.

Well, EFI Mounter-v2 shows the following errors when trying to unmount the pre-mounted EFI on the HDD.

post-1303722-0-33511100-1415728229_thumb.png

And if selecting "Force"...

post-1303722-0-73062000-1415728269_thumb.png

But the partition actually unmounts (or at least apparently it does, meaning that it's not accessible anymore).

And you know what's funny? You can right click the EFI partition and unmount it (using the Eject "EFI" option in the menu) with absolutely no errors.

I know it's not a script issue or something. It's just that it's getting really annoying to always have to unmount the EFI partition manually every time I boot up my computer.

And since I don't know how to fix this thing, I can't really properly test the script's behavior when patching a USB installation. I'm pretty sure this is something related to Clover. I just can't pin point the cause.

Anyway, the outcome of this "experiment" would be to have a bootable OSX USB stick with sound already patched. Of course that, once installed, you will need to install Clover on the HDD and run the script on the newly installed operating system as well. No question about it. But I thought it would be cool to have a fully working USB stick with sound. And IT IS possible. It DOES work!. I already tested it with Mavericks. The only thing that didn't quite work as expected (still trying to reproduce this), was the downloading of that realtekALC kext into the 10.9 folder when logged into Yosemite. It worked when doing the same thing while logged into Mavericks. But anyway, once I figure out what's causing the EFI mounting/unmounting issues, I'll try again and let you know the result. That's all. Everything else worked beautifully.

And if selecting "Force"...

You can right click the EFI partition and unmount it (using the Eject "EFI" option in the menu) with absolutely no errors.

And since I don't know how to fix this thing, I can't really properly test the script's behavior when patching a USB installation. I'm pretty sure this is something related to Clover. I just can't pin point the cause.

Anyway, the outcome of this "experiment" would be to have a bootable OSX USB stick with sound already patched.

In my experience, EFI mounter v2 always reports the error with Force Quit.  Finder/unmount is fine.

config.plist/RTVariables/MountEFI/NO is now deprecated.  May be a NVRAM issue.

realtekALC,kext must be in 10.9 and 10.10 folders.  The only files missing for the installer are AppleHDA.kext/.../Resources/..zml.zlib files; those files can be installed with Finder. No effect on kernel cache, breaks signing.

You were right. It is a NVRAM Variable issue.

And it can be easily fixed by setting this thing to NO, in Clover config pane.

post-608882-0-08697100-1415817201.png

Also, you were right about the AppleHDA. The script will patch what it can on the actual USB stick. But some things need to be installed for the sound to actually work. And in my tests, it worked because I already had the OS patched for audio, using the same script. But if you don't have Clover installed on the HDD yet (like, for example, right after a fresh install of OS X) the sound won't actually work.

Also, the script downloads realtekALC.kext for the running system. If you run the script in an attempt to patch an OS X Mavericks USB Installer, while you're on Yosemite, it will download realtekALC.kext into the 10.10 folder, according to the booted OS. If you're doing the same from Mavericks, it will download it into the 10.9 folder in Clover. So yeah, you were right again. It will get the file according to the booted volume.

Also, with my EFI issue fixed, I can also confirm that the script runs ok from the Desktop as well, no matter if you want to patch the EFI on the SSD/HDD or the one on the USB stick.

Now, since, for what I had in mind, I would need to have an installed OS X, this little experiment doesn't make much sense anymore.

But anyway, thank you so much for your patience and support. :)

Hi everyone, i patched AppleHDA 2.5.2, from Mavericks GM for Realtek ALC898 on a GA Z77X UP5 TH - Rev.01
Internal speakers out are working. All kexts related to AppleHDA are loaded... i didn't test others outputs and inputs, but seems to be ok.
I use Layout ID 1 via DSDT.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Description of audio problem

1. OS X version/motherboard model/BIOS version/processor/graphics
    -Yosemite 10.10.2 (Problem was also on 10.10.1) MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard - Bios 1.8 - Intel i7-4790K - NVIDIA Asus STRIX GTX 970
  2. Procedure/Guide Used
    -https://github.com/toleda/audio_RealtekALC/blob/master/audio_realtekALC-100.command.zip I used this script, and I successfully have audio.
  3. Copy of IOReg - IOReg_v2.1/File/Save a Copy As…, verify file (no ioreg.txt)
    -All files in zip
  4. Installed S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext or AppleHDAxxx support kext
    -All files in zip.
  5. Chameleon (Not Installed)
  6. Clover (Not Installed)

I'm using Oz bootloader. My sound is great and sounds amazing, good volume and all, but sometimes, randomly, when I go to playback something I have no sound. It doesn't matter what I do, it just comes back randomly. It won't come back in the middle of playback or go away in the middle of playback, only when I go to play something new, sometimes right after playing something previously, like within a few seconds, so the computer did not sit idle at all. I can hit play a million times and it won't come back until I just leave it alone for awhile.

REALLY confusing....

soundissues.zip

something I have no sound. It doesn't matter what I do, it just comes back randomly. 

10.10.2 is Yosemite, wrong thread.

Occurs on some systems, AU Lab reports audio overload; unknown cause, no known solution.  Workarounds include System Preferences/switching to another audio device and back, changing Audio MIDI Setup/Format/Freq, killing Console/coreaudiod or Terminal/unload AppleHDA.kext and load.

Occurs on some systems, AU Lab reports audio overload; unknown cause, no known solution.  Workarounds include System Preferences/switching to another audio device and back, changing Audio MIDI Setup/Format/Freq, killing Console/coreaudiod or Terminal/unload AppleHDA.kext and load.

Eh apologies, couldn't find your thread for Yosemite... saw another Yosemite post here so figured it was just kind of combined.

Well, crud.

How would I do any of the workarounds?

• 3 months later...

Toleda,

I struggled to get audio working on the Mavericks build of my GA-Z97X-UD7 TH.

Can you officially confirm that series 9 codec device ID patch (audio_alc_9series-hda-93_patch.command)

is NOT incorporated in the audio_realtekALC-100_1.0.4b.command and that BOTH command processes

must be run for a 10.9.5 install on a GA-Z97X-UD7 TH?

The only way I could get audio to work was to add the 9series-hda-93_patch after the realtekALC-100.

It's a Clover install and I am currently choosing to patch kexts instead of modifying config files.

Is there a more efficient way to accomplish this?

Your work is amazing BTW, thank you!

• Like 1

Can you officially confirm that series 9 codec device ID patch (audio_alc_9series-hda-93_patch.command)

is NOT incorporated in the audio_realtekALC-100_1.0.4b.command and that BOTH command processes

must be run for a 10.9.5 install on a GA-Z97X-UD7 TH?

Yes,  9 series device_ids are not present in Mavericks. Until 10.10.3, audio was the only 9 series device_id in Yosemite.  The patch replaces the 8 series device_id with the 9 series device_id to enable audio on 9 series motherboards with Mavericks; unnecessary for most users with supported configurations.  To summarize, your unsupported OS X configuration is supported with a patch.  The existence of the patch is a convenience; its absence would be quite inconvenient.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I used to have a Gigabyte H77-DS3H, alongside my AMD and Atom hackintoshes and my MBP. The Gigabyte motherboard fried, so I decided to go for reasonably hi-end gear for a replacement, since it was my workstation computer. So I bought an i7 4790K and an ASUS Z97-Gryphon, because of the possibility of a future Thunderbolt expansion.

With Yosemite, I had some problems with sound and with making the HD4600 IGPU to work alongside my 9800GT and G210 cards, but I solved both issues with the help of Toleda, Joe75 and others, and the rest was peace of cake - everything works as a charm and my GB scores go north of 17K.

With Mavericks, I'm having a harder time, and only got QE/Ci for the HD4600+nVidia cards a week ago, with the help of Crushers. Now, I'm having difficulties with enabling native AppleHDA for my ALC892 codec, having tried Toleda's script to no avail.

Attached are an IOREG.ioreg and my current config.plist, tweaked by Crushers. I don't use a DSDT, so I attached also my clean vanilla DSDT.aml.

All the best!

P.S.: Nevermind, solved it myself by reading DaveK's post (#464) and Toleda's answer, which both addressed my issue and pointed my to an answer. Now it's working fine. Thank you both!

• 2 months later...
HDEF/Chameleon Installer/Customize/Setting/HDEF Layout/ fail,HDEF/dsdt/layout-id = Audio_ID success,mic finally without noise.Mavericks Realtek ALC AppleHDA Audio works better than a USB Sound Card.

Realtek ALC 885 sound volume is less that Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter, C-Media Chipset, RoHS on Grado iGrado headphone,however it's built in sound card mic can use Internal microphone,so can use ambient noise reduction.

Thank you so much.

• 1 month later...