Mavericks Realtek ALC AppleHDA Audio

toleda

470 posts in this topic

Front panel audio problem is rarely a kext problem, likely, a hardware problem.  To troubleshoot, plug in headphones (front panel/green) and verify System Preferences/Sound/Output switches to headphones.  If no, front panel.

I did but nothing happens , actually I think problem in configuring platform , I have found mine headline pathmap are different then yours ,speaker is same ,may be most of codes speaker pathmap is same problem only with headphone and mic

Machine Specs

Gigbyte Z87-UD5H (898 Audio)

Clover 2916

After i upgrade to 10.9.5 i lost sound and have not been able to get it back.  I ran the audio_cloverALC-90_v2 script, but i get the following output.  I tried removing the AppleHDA.kext from my Clover partitiion to see if that was conflicting with the S/L/E version, but no luck. What dumb thing am I missing?

File: audio_cloverALC-90_v2.0.command_v2.0.2

Verify EFI partition mounted, Finder/Devices/EFI

Password:

No audio codec detected

To save a Copy to this Terminal session: Terminal/Shell/Export Text As ...

logout

1. Clover Config

http://pastebin.com/VwdsxTn7

2. Boot Log

http://pastebin.com/ZVu2sBu8

Machine Specs

Clover 2916

After i upgrade to 10.9.5 i lost sound and have not been able to get it back.  I ran the audio_cloverALC-90_v2 script, but i get the following output.  I tried removing the AppleHDA.kext from my Clover partitiion to see if that was conflicting with the S/L/E version, but no luck. What dumb thing am I missing?

1. Clover Config

2. Boot Log

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure you don't need to touch the AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E and you surely don't need to copy it into Clover/kexts/10.9. You only need realtekALC.kext in Clover/kexts/10.9. But that's automatically downloaded when running the script.

So, what I would do is remove realtekALC.kext from Clover/kexts/10.9 (in case you have it there), along with the AppleHDA.kext (in case you copied it there). And then run the script again.

Also, I think you will want to set audio injection to something other than "detect". Try setting it to 1.

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure you don't need to touch the AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E and you surely don't need to copy it into Clover/kexts/10.9. You only need realtekALC.kext in Clover/kexts/10.9. But that's automatically downloaded when running the script.

So, what I would do is remove realtekALC.kext from Clover/kexts/10.9 (in case you have it there), along with the AppleHDA.kext (in case you copied it there). And then run the script again.

Also, I think you will want to set audio injection to something other than "detect". Try setting it to 1.

Alright, so i have the stock AppleHDA.kext installed (just ran the 10.9.5 combo installer).  I removed all the audo drivers from my EFI/Clover/kexts/10.9 folder.  Rebooted, but when i run the clover script (audio_cloverALC-90_v2.command) i get the error saying:

Password:

No audio codec detected
logout

Alright, so i have the stock AppleHDA.kext installed (just ran the 10.9.5 combo installer).  I removed all the audo drivers from my EFI/Clover/kexts/10.9 folder.  Rebooted, but when i run the clover script (audio_cloverALC-90_v2.command) i get the error saying:

Password:

No audio codec detected
logout

For as far as I know, the combo doesn't have the full AppleHDA.kext. It's just a "patch". You need to reinstall the OS using a full installer, not a combo update. That will give you the full AppleHDA.kext, untouched. You can apply the combo and then run the script. It doesn't make any difference.

In case you haven't already, set Audio injection to 1 (yes, the digit).

I did but nothing happens.

See post #1, Problem Reporting.

After i upgrade to 10.9.5 i lost sound and have not been able to get it back. 

OS X does not see your codec; the script notes the problem and exits because audio will not work without a codec.  See post #1, Problem Reporting.

Can confirm, 10.9.5 overwrote my AppleHDA binary with a fresh one, although the kext version didn't change.

You observation is correct.  The issue mentioned is different.  Combo Update does not restore the native kext, it only installs updated files; it does not install any missing files.  The native AppleHDA.kext can only be obtained from a clean install.

Machine Specs

Clover 2916

1. Clover Config

2. Boot Log

See post #1, Problem Reporting.

OS X does not see your codec; the script notes the problem and exits because audio will not work without a codec.  See post #1, Problem Reporting.

You observation is correct.  The issue mentioned is different.  Combo Update does not restore the native kext, it only installs updated files; it does not install any missing files.  The native AppleHDA.kext can only be obtained from a clean install.

Thanks for helping.  Here is my IOReg file

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2987482/William%E2%80%99s%20Mac%20Pro.ioreg

I've been having similar problems with my ALC898 on a Z87X-UD4H. Attached are my IOReg and command line log.

ED: Looking at what the proper formatting of the patch should be in "config_audioClover_ALC.plist", it seems like the config.plist was getting patch improperly. A new dictionary indexed at 0 is made before the actual patch. So I just copied the proper information from that config file into mine.

<dict>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleHDA</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				ixnUEQ==
				</data>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				mQjsEA==
				</data>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>10.9/AppleHDA/Realtek ALC898</string>
			</dict>

After dropping that in, the config.plist is recognized properly by Clover Configurator. But, still no sound.

eli.zip

Guys, I got it to work. Two things:

It looks like the config.plist is not being properly patched by the script. After manually copying in the following:

<dict>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				eG1sLnps
				</data>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				em1sLnps
				</data>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>10.9/AppleHDA/Resources/xml>zml</string>
			</dict>

in addition to the ALC898-specific stuff in the last post, and then rebooting, all onboard audio became recognized.

Second thing:

I didn't have the virgin, untouched AppleHDA.kext initially. But contrary to what you guys are saying above, installing the 10.9.5 Combo Update DID in fact install a working AppleHDA, or enough of one to matter. Interestingly, extracting the kext from the Combo Update using Pacifist did NOT work and was NOT recognized as a valid AppleHDA.kext by the cloverALC script. So I think there must be something in the installer that detects the presence of the kext and installs it completely if it isn't there at all and just patches it if it IS there.

ED: Added proof.

I just noticed flyinace2000's IOReg doesn't have layout_id set properly btw.

Working_ALC898_screen_log.zip

It looks like the config.plist is not being properly patched by the script. After manually copying in the following:

But contrary to what you guys are saying above, installing the 10.9.5 Combo Update DID in fact install a working AppleHDA, or enough of one to matter. 

Screenshot shows 898 pinconfigs are not injected, log says: FSInjection: skipping kext injection (not requested)

To fix set config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts/YES

plistbuddy adds new dictionaries to an array at dict 0.  Without seeing the config.plist with the problem, it is not possible to confirm there is a problem with the script.  My testing has not shown this problem.  Attach the non working config.plist if available.

Requirements note native AppleHDA.kext because it works every time.  If you apply a Combo Update to an AppleHDA patched with one of my scripts, it will work when patched (same script) after Software Update.  The Clover solution ensures the AppleHDA.kext stays native if it starts native.  Regarding Software Update, it installs new files only, it does not replace missing files that are not changed.

Screenshot shows 898 pinconfigs are not injected, log says: FSInjection: skipping kext injection (not requested)

To fix set config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts/YES

plistbuddy adds new dictionaries to an array at dict 0.  Without seeing the config.plist with the problem, it is not possible to confirm there is a problem with the script.  My testing has not shown this problem.  Attach the non working config.plist if available.

Requirements note native AppleHDA.kext because it works every time.  If you apply a Combo Update to an AppleHDA patched with one of my scripts, it will work when patched (same script) after Software Update.  The Clover solution ensures the AppleHDA.kext stays native if it starts native.  Regarding Software Update, it installs new files only, it does not replace missing files that are not changed.

I had completely removed AppleHDA before applying the Combo Update though. 

Will try to run the script on an older config.plist and see if the error happens again.

As it turns out, running the script again wasn't necessary, since I ran it multiple times, and the last backup of config.plist it made contains the error. It is attached. Also, here are the lines in question:

<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
<dict>
	<key>AppleRTC</key>
	<true/>
	<key>KextsToPatch</key>
	<dict>
		<key>0</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Comment</key>
			<string>t1-10.9/AppleHDA/Resources/xml>zml</string>
			<key>Find</key>
			<data>eG1sLnps</data>
			<key>Name</key>
			<key>Replace</key>
			<data>em1sLnps</data>
		</dict>
	</dict>
</dict>

Nothing else was copied to the config.plist file when the script ran. In fact, there were some error messages in the log that may have clued at this (not sure):

Print: Entry, ":KernelAndKextPatches:KextsToPatch:0 dict", Does Not Exist
Add: ":KernelAndKextPatches:KextsToPatch:0" Entry Already Exists
Add: ":KernelAndKextPatches:KextsToPatch:0:Comment" Entry Already Exists
Add: ":KernelAndKextPatches:KextsToPatch:0:Find" Entry Already Exists
Add: ":KernelAndKextPatches:KextsToPatch:0:Name" Entry Already Exists
Add: ":KernelAndKextPatches:KextsToPatch:0:Replace" Entry Already Exists
Add: ":KernelAndKextPatches:KextsToPatch:0" Entry Already Exists
Add: ":KernelAndKextPatches:KextsToPatch:0:Comment" Entry Already Exists
Add: ":KernelAndKextPatches:KextsToPatch:0:Find" Entry Already Exists
Add: ":KernelAndKextPatches:KextsToPatch:0:Name" Entry Already Exists

Here is what that part of my config.plist looks like now, after manual editing:

<dict>
	<key>AppleRTC</key>
	<true/>
	<key>KextsToPatch</key>
	<array>
		<dict>
			<key>Name</key>
			<key>Find</key>
			<data>
			eG1sLnps
			</data>
			<key>Replace</key>
			<data>
			em1sLnps
			</data>
			<key>Comment</key>
			<string>10.9/AppleHDA/Resources/xml>zml</string>
		</dict>
		<dict>
			<key>Name</key>
			<key>Find</key>
			<data>
			ixnUEQ==
			</data>
			<key>Replace</key>
			<data>
			mQjsEA==
			</data>
			<key>Comment</key>
			<string>10.9/AppleHDA/Realtek ALC898</string>
		</dict>
	</array>
</dict>

Hopefully this turns out to be helpful. Thanks to all the devs (inc you, toleda) who made Clover, ALC, and Clover + ALC possible!

config-backup.plist.zip

As it turns out, running the script again wasn't necessary, since I ran it multiple times, and the last backup of config.plist it made contains the error.

<dict>
	<key>AppleRTC</key>
	<true/>
	<key>KextsToPatch</key>
	<dict>
		<key>0</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Comment</key>
<dict>
	<key>AppleRTC</key>
	<true/>
	<key>KextsToPatch</key>
	<array>
		<dict>
			<key>Name</key>

The problem is a damaged config.plist.  

Fix:

1. Edit the entry under KextsToPatch to array from dict.

2. Remove <key>0</key> line.

The script does not touch the KextsToPatch entry.  An updated script with InjectKexts=Yes is available from the repo.

IOReg shows HDEF and the ALC 898.  Run the script again.  Attach Terminal/Export Test As.. and new IOReg.

Re-ran the clover script

Last login: Sun Oct  5 10:28:21 on ttys000
Williams-Mac-Pro:~ administrator$ /Users/administrator/Downloads/audio_cloverALC-90_v2.command ; exit;

Agreement
The audio_cloverALC-90_v2 script is for personal use only. Do not distribute
the patch, any or all of the files or the resulting patched AppleHDA.kext
for any reason without permission. The audio_cloverALC-90_v2 script is
provided as is and without any kind of warranty.

Password:
S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext is not native
Install native AppleHDA.kext
No system files were changed
logout

[Process completed]

I am re-downloading the Maverick's installer now.  That should give me the native kext back.  Then your script should work, right?

Attached is a recent ioReg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/htsk1gu2m1nfowf/William%E2%80%99s%20Mac%20Pro.ioreg?dl=0

Gigabyte Z87-UD5H

F9 Bios

Clover 2939

Re-installed and re-ran your script.  Still no working audio.

Better.  Need InjectKexts=YES

Fixes, pick one:

1. Download updated script v2.0.3 and run

2. Set config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts/YES

Reply with updated files.

Better.  Need InjectKexts=YES

Fixes, pick one:

1. Download updated script v2.0.3 and run

2. Set config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts/YES

Reply with updated files.

So found a new problem.  At boot i get this error. It remains even if i remove the nvda_drv flag.  What is slide=0?    Anyway, the only way i can boot right now is w/o Kext and Caches.

ZPZMiuk.png

I'm trying to switch to using CloverALC instead of injecting my audio ID directly.  Realtek ALC898 is listed as supported in toleda's repo, but when I run the script:

Blitzwing:audio_CloverALC-master r$ ./audio_cloverALC-90_v2.command

[snip]

File: audio_cloverALC-90_v2.0.command_v2.0.3
Confirm Realtek ALC898 (y/n): y
Audio ID: 898 is not supported, continue (y/n): y
Working dsdt/ssdt HDMI audio? (y/n): n
Use Audio ID: 1? (y/n): y

[snip]

Install finished, restart required.

No audio. Am I doing something wrong?

See Post #1, Problem Reporting

Description of audio problem

I can inject my ALC898 into AppleHDA.kext using Toleda's script, but when I tried to migrate to using CloverALC, it reports that it's not supported, as quoted below.

Audio ID: 898 is not supported, continue (y/n):
After continuing and rebooting, no audio devices are found.

OS X version/motherboard model/BIOS version/processor/graphics

OS X 10.9.5

Asus P9X79 WS

BIOS 3101

Intel Core i7-3930K

EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4 GB

Procedure/Guide Used

Downloading audio_CloverALC-master to ~/Downloads/, unzipping audio_cloverALC-90_v2.command, and running it.  Trying to use audio layout 1, as with toleda's previous injection method. No HDMI audio needed.

Copy of IOReg

See attachment.

Installed S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext or AppleHDAxxx support kext

Stock AppleHDA.kext from 10.9.5 combo update package.

Clover

See attachment.

Troubleshooting.zip