Mavericks Realtek ALC AppleHDA Audio

toleda

470 posts in this topic

Hi Toleda,

You helped me once with an HDMI problem that we solved nicely.

I am now hackintoshing a Lenovo Thinkpad Twist which has an ALC 269VC codec. I found this out by running Linux on it.

I am running 10.9.4 which runs very well. I really only have this audio problem to solve to finish the machine.

You have not mentioned this codec anywhere in the guides.

How do I use your guide for an ALC 269VC?

Thanks for the help.

Srini

question does this script work with 10.8.5, and if not can you point me to one as of right now I got an empty audio panel even though the codec exist in system profiler :s

will have to do some more experiments but if your auto patcher will work that would be great

terramir

question does this script work with 10.8.5, and if not can you point me to one as of right now I got an empty audio panel even though the codec exist in system profiler :s

will have to do some more experiments but if your auto patcher will work that would be great

terramir

I think it might just work. Give it a try. If you're using Clover, I would recommend using Clover patching method.

If you're choosing Clover patching method, the script is gonna set Audio Injection (probably to "1"), patch the AppleHDA.kext and add realtekALC.kext in Clover/kexts/10.8.

So, if you're planning on reverting to an earlier stage, you could just make a copy of your Clover config.plist file and make sure you remove the realtekALC.kext in /Clover/kexts/10.8, though leaving it there is probably not gonna affect the system functionality in any way. But again, this is basically what the script does so you know what to revert, in case you will want to revert anything.

So in a nutshell, if you've got Clover and if you've got one of the supported codecs, I would say make a backup and go for it. You've got nothing to loose.

If you wanna be extra careful and extra safe, you could flash Clover on a memory stick so that, if your system becomes somehow unbootable, you will still be able to boot up with the stick and fix it.

Toleda, I have the GA-Ep45-UD3P (ALC 889a) with a DSDT I extracted and then replaced the AZAL with HDEF and applied the HDEF patch (listed below, and attached my DSDT as a text file). I also used your ALC885 patch and now have the audio working, mostly. I have noticed when my PC wakes from sleep the Rear Line out is no longer working and it has switched to "Headphones" (in System Preferences) and the audio now comes out of my front panel audio (and will not work out of the rear Line Out unless I reboot).

Any suggestions?

Device (HDEF)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (Package (0x02)
{
0x0D, 
0x05
})
}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x0A)
{
"built-in", 
Buffer (One)
{
0x00
}, 

"codec-id", 
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
}, 

"layout-id", 
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
}, 

"device-type", 
Buffer (0x11)
{
"ALC889a"
}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
Buffer (One)
{
0x00
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}
}

DSDT.txt

Hi toleda, I hope you can help me getting audio to work.

computer: 10.9.4 / gigabyte ga-x79-up4 rev1.1/ ALC892 / i7-4930k / gtx 770

procedure used: clover install

I believe I've followed the instructions correctly but no device is detected (works on windows) and when I double click the script (v.2), I get this error:

line 167: [: ==: unary operator expected Error: no IOReg/HDEF; BIOS/audio/disabled or ACPI problem No system files were changed

When I search for "HDEF" in the IORegistryExplorer nothing comes up.

I don't have a dsdt.aml or ssdt.aml file

I checked "debug" in Clover configurator but there is no debug log.

please let me know where is the problem. thank you

config and ioreg.zip

I thought there was a sufficient attachment in my first post. 

If you reboot, previous files become useless.  Config.plist shows all dsdt fixes true; not recommended.  Attach native and patched dsdt (first and last): EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin/dsdt....

Hello,

First off. I'm completely fresh to the Hackingtosh scene, albeit with a very long experience with pretty much any other form of computer, apart Apples.

So that means, I'd probably need a little "hand holding" for any of your explanations. My problem is the following:

I have installed an OSX Mavericks (10.9.4)  "guest" in a VirtualBox VM on my Windows 8.1 (x64) "host".

I used the Niresh Distro in order to get started and avoid any potential nightmares for trying to boot.

Everything worked out-of-the-box except Audio. The hardware I'm using is:

Hardware:       ASUS N550JK
Motherboard:    Intel HM86 (Lynx Point)
Processor:      Intel Core i7-4710HQ (Haswell 2014)
Audio Adapter:  Intel Lynx Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [C2]    Vendor:Device/8086:8C20
Audio Codec:    Realtek High Definition Audio (Realtek ALC668)                  Vendor:Device/10EC:0668

As you can see it is using the ALC668 codec, which is not listed in OP. I have not been able to find any Apple Kext or whatever either, matching that codec. 
However, I did find the codec mentioned in ALSA sources, (as linked from Realtek site) in ..\alsa\alsa-kernel\pci\hda\patch_realtek.c:

* ALC662 is almost identical with ALC880 but has cleaner and more flexible
 * configuration.  Each pin widget can choose any input DACs and a mixer.
 * Each ADC is connected from a mixer of all inputs.  This makes possible
 * 6-channel independent captures.
{ .id = 0x10ec0668, .name = "ALC668", .patch = patch_alc662 },

This seem to imply two things:
1. That it is pin compatible with ALC662
2. That it may be codec compatible with ALC880.

Problem-1: I cannot find any of these codecs mentioned in Apple context. Does anyone know? If there is none, what can I do?

Now on to the next problem. When using a virtual machine, things get worse and more complicated as the Audio Codec presented to the VM is different from what is physically present in HW. In the latest VirtualBox, when set to use the "Intel HD Audio", the OSX finds a completely different Audio device/codec, namely:

On OSX 10.9.4 (Intel HD Audio):

sudo lspci -m -v

Device:   00.05.0
Device:   82801FB (ICH6) High Definition Audio Controller
SVendor:  SigmaTel
SDevice:  Device 7680

sudo lspci -m -n -vvv

Class:    0403
Vendor:   8086
Device:   2668
SVendor:  8384
SDevice:  7680

This we find from PCI ID DB, is another codec called:  "SigmaTel STAC9221 HD Audio Codec"  [8384:7680].

Problem-2: I cannot find anything Apple related to this codec either... Please help!?

Extra Credit Question:
(a.) How does VirtualBox (or any other vitualization platform for that matter) forward and select what codec is used in the VM? (I thought PCI was just passed through?)

(b.) If we find/make and use the "real" driver (in this case ALC668) in the VM guest, will the VM host software be smart enough to forward the "real" HW "signals"?

I think I'm not the only one who have or will have problems with VirtualBox Audio support when using "unsupported" OSX in a VB VM. So resolving my issue, would potentially resolve the same issue for hundreds of other users trying to run OSX in VM on a windows host with new HW.

Hi everyone and thanks for this thread! :D 

I have a problem with the microphone :'(

sometimes while I'm speaking with my friends on skype or teamspeak3 my friends tells me that my voice is like a robot... after a few minutes come back normal or simply I remove for a second my usb microphone and works again...

it's strange

my motherboard: GA-Z77-DS3H, ALC887 Codec. Mavericks 10.9.4 (i have this error also on ML)

thanks

Hi everyone and thanks for this thread! :D

I have a problem with the microphone :'(

sometimes while I'm speaking with my friends on skype or teamspeak3 my friends tells me that my voice is like a robot... after a few minutes come back normal or simply I remove for a second my usb microphone and works again...

it's strange

my motherboard: GA-Z77-DS3H, ALC887 Codec. Mavericks 10.9.4 (i have this error also on ML)

thanks

I guess bad internet connection is out of question? Have you tried switching USBs? Or trying the same scenario on another computer (maybe running Windows or something other than MacOS)? Also, have you tried a different microphone instead, for testing? Have you tried another VOIP or another Skype version? In my humble opinion there can be more variables to this issue other than the codec. I'm not saying it can't be, since I don't have enough experience in that area. I'm just saying it might be worth trying a few other scenarios before concluding it's something wrong with the codec or the patching.

Also, providing the information requested on the first page of this thread might help a lot for debugging.

I guess bad internet connection is out of question? Have you tried switching USBs? Or trying the same scenario on another computer (maybe running Windows or something other than MacOS)? Also, have you tried a different microphone instead, for testing? Have you tried another VOIP or another Skype version? In my humble opinion there can be more variables to this issue other than the codec. I'm not saying it can't be, since I don't have enough experience in that area. I'm just saying it might be worth trying a few other scenarios before concluding it's something wrong with the codec or the patching.

Also, providing the information requested on the first page of this thread might help a lot for debugging.

It's not a bad internet connection and it's not the microphone itselfs. On windows works perfectly and I had this problem also on mountain lion...

I read that there is also a lot of people who have this problem, which affects the USB microphones so... the problem in my opinion can be the usb driver or the audio driver... :'(

It's not a bad internet connection and it's not the microphone itselfs. On windows works perfectly and I had this problem also on mountain lion...

I read that there is also a lot of people who have this problem, which affects the USB microphones so... the problem in my opinion can be the usb driver or the audio driver... :'(

Understood... In case there is no solution for your problem, or simply if you want to try something else that might fix this issue, you could also try using an USB -> 3.5 mm audio adapter and plug the microphone into the analog audio port on your motherboard.
  • Like 1

Well given the name of this thread, I don't see how it can possibly be "OFF Topic".

In addition, it would be more helpful if perhaps you could point to the place it would be "ON Topic"?

Well, it is off-topic for this thread, since that specific codec is not supported here. A little bit of googling revealed this page . See if it helps you. If not, I saw another thread opened on tonymac forum. Unfortunately I can't post the link here. Google it. See if they succeeded anything.

If not, you could also try Hackintosh Vietnam Tool and install VoodooHDA instead.

• Like 1