toleda

470 posts in this topic

Workaround: 2xxx BIOS downgrade, 7/8 Series upgrade

3xxx phantom codec interferes with AppleHDA, no sound

No solution has been found; the choices are:

Downgrade the BIOS to the last working 2xxxx version

Or upgrading motherboard to 7 series or motherboard/cpu to 8 or 9 series

Description of audio problem, including the following information:

Only the rear line input seems to be supported, not the front microphone jack. And the short device names are DevShortNameOut, DevShortNameLino (x2), and DevShortNameSpdO.

OS X version/motherboard model/BIOS version/processor/graphics:

From my signature, except: 10.9.4 build 13E9, MSI Z77A-GD65, I'll have to reboot anyway to get the pin configs without any injection, so I'll grab the BIOS version then, Core i5 3570K, and both the HD Graphics 4000 and AMD R9 270X 2GB enabled, mainly because I have yet to get a single framebuffer personality edit which supports dual link DVI like I need for my 120Hz monitor.

Procedure/Guide Used/AppleHDA.kext version

I used the guide from your CloverALC repository on Github, using the Clover config patches for 898 and layout 1:

<dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleHDA</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>eG1sLnps</data> <!-- <786d6c2e 7a6c> -->
<key>Replace</key>
<data>em1sLnps</data> <!-- <7a6d6c2e 7a6c> -->
<key>Comment</key>
<string>10.9/AppleHDA/Resources/xml>zml</string>
</dict>

<dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleHDA</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>ixnUEQ==</data> <!-- <8b19d411> -->
<key>Replace</key>
<data>mQjsEA==</data> <!-- <9908ec10> -->
<key>Comment</key>
<string>10.9/AppleHDA/Realtek ALC898</string>
</dict>

Patched S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext

The only patching was the insertion of the .zml files from CloverALC, and I've attached an archive of the otherwise untouched 2.6.2 extension.

dsdt.aml (if installed)

Only default Clover patching, no DSDT.aml.

org.chameleon.Boot.plist or config.plist

config.plist.zip attached.

Copy of IOReg - IOReg/File/Save a Copy As…, verify file (not ioreg.txt), see Tools 3.

Attached.

Console/All Messages/kernel Sound assertions selected/Save Selection As…..

Attached.

Screenshot of System Information/Hardware/Audio/Intel High Definition Audio (not Devices)

Attached.

As per instructions in the topic I replied to by mistake, I also attached the realtekALC.kext I am currently using.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

config.plist.zip

realtekALC.kext.zip

Umaro.ioreg.zip

HDAassert.log.zip

post-836515-0-86768700-1402028418_thumb.png

Only the rear line input seems to be supported, not the front microphone jack. And the short device names are DevShortNameOut, DevShortNameLino (x2), and DevShortNameSpdO.

The AppleHDA.kext is not native and not complete, likely extracted from a Combo Update.  Install the native AppleHDA.kext (only available in 10.9, update to 10.9.3) and run the cloverALC patch.  Reply with new AppleHDA,kext and IOReg.

So you're telling me to reinstall 10.9. The oldest installer I have is 10.9.1, and that ends up skipping straight to 10.9.3 by pulling the combo update, even from the App Store.

And actually, this AppleHDA.kext is from a combo update from 10.9.1 to one of the 10.9.3 betas, as was the listed update in the App Store after freshly installing without reformatting, then progressively upgraded through several more betas, and then to 10.9.3 release, and then to the first 10.9.4 beta last Sunday.

I suppose I could completely blank my "Fusion" drive and restore from my collection of split backups, but I'd have to chuck my VM collection onto my secondary drive as well, as that was getting just too large to include in incremental/differential backups. (System minus Users to internal Time Machine volume, Users minus VMs to internal and off site CrashPlan.)

So you're telling me to reinstall 10.9.

I did not say that. You cannot use the AppleHDA.kext from a Combo Update.  You can extract AppleHDA.kext from any version of Applications/Install OS X Mavericks.

I extracted AppleHDA.kext from a freshly retrieved Install OS X Mavericks.app, which turned out to be 10.9.2, and extension version 2.6.0f1. Even after resetting all of the Clover patches to the 10.9.2 state, I was not able to make that produce sound at all.

I was able to install the pre-patched 10.9.3 extension without any Clover patches or realtekALC.kext, with Clover simply acting as the layout 1 enabler. That produces sound, but the recording doesn't quite work right. The front jack registers in inputs as Internal Microphone, until I plug my headset into it, then it registers as Line Input. It manages to produce a working recorded signal for about 30 seconds from switching the input to it, then it goes silent until the inputs are switched again.

Even after resetting all of the Clover patches to the 10.9.2 state, I was not able to make that produce sound at all.

There is no such thing as 10.9.2 state Clover patches, one Clover patch works on all 10.9 versions.  Without files attached, no idea what you have done or why it is not working.  By mixing procedures, the probability of success is very low.  Suggest starting over with a complete, native AppleHDA.kext with one procedure or the other.  Reply with the resulting files.

v1.6 - 6/4/2014 - 9 Series Realtek ALC onboard audio on Mavericks

AppleHDA.kext currently does not support 9 Series Intel High Definition Audio.  Patching the 8 series device_id enables 9 series Realtek ALC onboard audio on Mavericks,

Hex Edit: AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDAController binary

find:
20 8C
replace (4X):
A0 8C

Toleda Help! 
AppleHDA version 2.6.5a60 Yosemite DP1 also suffer from it? 

Hex Edit: AppleHDA.kext / Contents / MacOS / AppleHDA binary 
1 - 8508ec10 to 6206ec10 not load AppleHDA 
2nd - 8508ec10 to 6206ec10 and 8408ec10 to 00000000 not load AppleHDA 
3 - yes 6206ec10 ff87ec1a to load AppleHDA 

Should I modify Hex Edit: AppleHDA.kext / Contents / PlugIns / AppleHDAController.kext / Contents / MacOS / AppleHDAController binary?? 
find: 
20 8C 
replace (4X): 

A0 8C

There is no such thing as 10.9.2 state Clover patches, one Clover patch works on all 10.9 versions.  Without files attached, no idea what you have done or why it is not working.  By mixing procedures, the probability of success is very low.  Suggest starting over with a complete, native AppleHDA.kext with one procedure or the other.  Reply with the resulting files.

I wrongly made the assumption that the layout files changed from 10.9.2 to 10.9.3. I also wrongly assumed that the realtekALC.kext changed as well, so I had checked out the version of 898.zip from the 10.9.2 release commit in the repository.

With the latest master, patching the native AppleHDA.kext (attached) with the CloverALC script (result attached as well, as "patched" file), and applying the xml>zml and 898 patches in Clover, I get sound, but the input now shows only one line input, presumably connected to the rear line input jack.

At least now, the DevShortName mess is gone, so that's a good thing.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

AppleHDA.kext.patched.zip

config.plist.zip

realtekALC.kext.zip

1 - 8508ec10 to 6206ec10 not load AppleHDA 

2nd - 8508ec10 to 6206ec10 and 8408ec10 to 00000000 not load AppleHDA 
3 - yes 6206ec10 ff87ec1a to load AppleHDA 

Should I modify Hex Edit: AppleHDA.kext / Contents / PlugIns / AppleHDAController.kext / Contents / MacOS / AppleHDAController binary?? 

I've never tested a 662, don't know.  ff87ec1 does not work with Realtek codecs since 10.7.

No, a 3 series chipset does not qualify as a 9 series chipset.

I get sound, but the input now shows only one line input, presumably connected to the rear line input jack.

Not a native AppleHDA.kext.  Attach screenshot.  IOReg???

What do you mean, not a native AppleHDA.kext? I packed it up directly from the installer.

open /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg

open /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg

cd /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions

ditto -ck --keepParent --sequesterRsrc --zlibCompressionLevel 9 AppleHDA.kext ~/Documents/AppleHDA.kext.zip

And that's precisely what I uploaded in my last post. The patched kext is what I currently have in /S/L/E after running the ~/Downloads/audio_ALC898-master/cloverALC/audio_cloverALC898-90_patch.command from Finder, which merely inserted the modified layout files from 898.zip renamed to .zml.zlib.

I'll attach screen shots and an IOReg from the current state of the system. If you want IOReg and screen shots from when I rebooted without any injection, and with just the native kext, I already attached those to a previous post.

Current IOReg dump exported as Umaro.ioreg, packed to attached Umaro.ioreg.zip.

Screen shot of System Information -> Hardware -> Audio -> Intel High Definition Audio attached.

Bonus screen shot of Audio MIDI Setup thrown in, highlighting the one Line Input that registers, also attached.

Umaro.ioreg.zip

post-836515-0-32416500-1402274745_thumb.png

post-836515-0-48611800-1402274752_thumb.png

Can someone please explain this part of 1st port:

Unsupported/Non-working Realtek ALC AppleHDA.kext

5.  AC97 (Front Panel)

1. Workaround: HD Audio

What does 'Workaround' mean here? Could it be solved somehow or won't work with this kext? I have 5 ports (mic, speaker, line in rear / mic and headphone front) ALC892, both front and rear out ports are working with this solution but mic (input) ports are not working.

What do you mean, not a native AppleHDA.kext? 

Current IOReg dump exported as Umaro.ioreg, packed to attached Umaro.ioreg.zip.

The native AppleHDA.kext is 2.9 MB, with the zml files, 3.0 MB.  Your "native" kext is missing files. 

The native pincongigs are loading. Verify EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.9/realtekALC.kext and config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts/YES.

What does 'Workaround' mean here? Could it be solved somehow or won't work with this kext? I have 5 ports (mic, speaker, line in rear / mic and headphone front) ALC892, both front and rear out ports are working with this solution but mic (input) ports are not working.

AC97 front panel does not have pin detect, HD Audio front panel does.  If Headphones are working, you have HD Audio, no workaround required.  For the mic problem, see Problem Reporting, Post #1 and reply with requested files attached.

Right, I changed the InjectKexts option from its default of Detect to Yes, and I will reboot in a moment. For now, here's the output of information on my AppleHDA.kext.

du -h AppleHDA.kext > AppleHDA_du.txt

find AppleHDA.kext -type f -exec ls -l {} \; > AppleHDA_ls.txt

Do note that this is version 2.6.0f1, because Apple hasn't yet updated their Install OS X Mavericks.app past 10.9.2, and I would have to reinstall that and update to 10.9.3 again to get the "proper" 2.6.1 extension.

AppleHDA_du.txt

AppleHDA_ls.txt

Right, I changed the InjectKexts option from its default of Detect to Yes, and I will reboot in a moment.

Do note that this is version 2.6.0f1, because Apple hasn't yet updated their Install OS X Mavericks.app past 10.9.2, 

No IOReg?  Request the latest download; 10.9.3 has been available for download since the release.

No IOReg?  Request the latest download; 10.9.3 has been available for download since the release.

Here, have another IOReg, because I never get tired of redumping and uploading those. Also redownloading all 5.32GB of the Install OS X Mavericks.app, because the one I downloaded last week still had a 2.6.0f1 kext inside, unless I need to actually install it, or at least prepare boot media using myHack, to get at the 10.9.3 version of the AppleHDA.kext bundle.

Umaro.ioreg.zip

No output devices found. I've tried every AppleHDA.kext I've found and Voodoo

OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Intel DH61HO

(BIOS and processor included in .zip)

GeForce GT 610

I used the Realtek ALC AppleHDA.kext Installation guide. Downloaded the kext from the link, no luck.

I use Chameleon instead of Clover. Everything is in the .zip. Thanks in advance.

audio help.zip

AC97 front panel does not have pin detect, HD Audio front panel does.  If Headphones are working, you have HD Audio, no workaround required.  For the mic problem, see Problem Reporting, Post #1 and reply with requested files attached.

Thanks for reply :) problem solved. It was BIOS setting, on board sound was set to legacy, just changed it to HD and now mic is working perfect. Thanks once again.

Reason: no dsdt/HDEF.  Three choices:

1. add HDEF to dsdt

2. install audio kext enabler

3. install audio ssdt enabler

See Post #1, Realtek ALC AppleHDA Audio Injection - Sound - InsanelyMac Forum

when I try to compile my DSDT in the 1st guide (add HDEF to DSDT) I get 1 error like this 

Invalid object type for reserved name (found PACKAGE, requires Buffer)

and 16 errors like this

Invalid object type for reserved name (found BUFFER, requires Package)

Thanks to this thread, i now have working sound on my GA-EP45-UD3P under 10.9.3!

However, I have noticed one odd thing, for my Audio Ports to show up, each time I reboot, I have to unplug and replug the Line Out on the rear of my motherboard, has anyone else had or solved this issue?

Thanks!

However, I have noticed one odd thing, for my Audio Ports to show up, each time I reboot, I have to unplug and replug the Line Out on the rear of my motherboard, has anyone else had or solved this issue?

Does not make sense, no pin detect used on rear motherboard ports.  Repair permissions, rebuild cache and restart.