* * * * * 1 votes OS X 10.9

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

joe75

joe75

Renegade

• Retired
  • 2,277 posts

Mavericks should show improvements on all macs that support it. With 10.6 still being very popular I think they are trying to get everyone to update to help keep a single platform and eliminate more fragmentation.

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Mavericks should show improvements on all macs that support it. With 10.6 still being very popular I think they are trying to get everyone to update to help keep a single platform and eliminate more fragmentation.

I don't think Apple will ever give something away for free because it helps the end users.  They do it to help themselves.  Always have, always will.  Don't expect to see a new version of psystar anytime soon.

Pmakaasrul

Pmakaasrul

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

B)
For me, i think maybe apple want to enhance the development on gaming since everyone will try to use it since it free, then many developer will find the market target on mac osx
the development on gaming based for mac osx is far beyond microsoft that has directx :D

joe75

joe75

Renegade

• Retired
  • 2,277 posts

only if your are taking about small games in general.. any real gamer is going to use windows for better hardware support and superior graphics drivers and any real developer is going to use windows or both just to get higher sales numbers.

iawval

iawval

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

One nasty thing of mavericks: no more quick look preview of FLV files and quicktime won't play them, will propose conversion

redneck

redneck

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

I think they will profit in other ways.

I would guess they get money from app store sales.

What surprised me I had the option to install to my 250g usb.

Hackintosh2000

Hackintosh2000

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

I don't think that Apple really cares about Hackintoshes, their goal is not to sell OSXs because the real profits cames from Hardware sells like iPad, iPhone, iPod & Macs.

True.  Although I would say their profits come only from ipads and iphones... in a meaningful way.  Honestly guys that's all apple is.  It is a manufacturer of ipads and iphones.  10 years from now there will be articles about what went wrong at Apple.  It's simple really.  Smartphones and tablets will be commoditized.  Andriod already dominates iOS particularly when you leave the US.  Heck Windows Phone is solid in countries such as Germany.

Look at Apple's financial statements.  The whole mac pro line of computers could disappear the company would still be wildly profitable.  Selling updates every year was really irritating and didn't really add meaningfully to the bottom line.  And as someone noted it just encouraged fragmentation.  Why fragment your universe just to scrape a few meaningless shillings?

Phil511

Phil511

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
One of the most profitable companies in the world giving free sophisticated OS. Why?
It's a Trojan Horse strategy to me. Mavericks will deactivate programs detected not legitimate contrary to MacRumor report. Apple is corralling all software update through App Store which is also the center of screening. That is my personal opinion. The more money you have, the more money you want to make. It becomes an obsession or addiction. Apple wants to sell iPhoto, iMovie, Apperture, Final Cut Pro,etc.
Free Mavericks OS longer terms bring more sales and thus profit to Apple.

PunkNugget

PunkNugget

InsanelyMac Geek

• Retired
  • 199 posts

As my Grandfather used to say in his thick European accent:

"Nothing for nothing, is... nothing."

PGHammer

PGHammer

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Most of Apple's revenue (for the past several years) comes from two areas - iDevices, and the services back end (the App Stores and iTunes).  Now, the App Stores cover the iDevices *and* the Macs - how much in the way of physical software does Apple actually ship, even for Macs or Windows?  That's how Apple built up that monstrous hoard of cash that is mostly stranded overseas.  Any company with a heavy services back end is going to build up a crapton of cash if that service is in any way successful; it's NOT unique to Apple.  (Google has a similar issue with Google Play and the Chrome App Store - even Microsoft has that issue with their own App Stores for Windows Phone, RT, and even Windows 8/8.1 -  the App Stores are additions to, NOT instead of, current revenue flows for Team Redmond.  Additional streams of revenue never - as in ever - hurt a company of any size, just as they never - again, as in ever - hurt a government of any size; the appetite for revenue never goes away.)

ameris_cyning

ameris_cyning

I don't know what to write here

• Donators
  • 956 posts
  • Interests:OSx86, female anatomy, electronic music, Clover EFI

One nasty thing of mavericks: no more quick look preview of FLV files and quicktime won't play them, will propose conversion

Does Perian work with Mavericks?

If so you can have your FLV quick look back

fantomas1

fantomas1

InsanelyMacaholic

• Supervisors
  • 2,992 posts

Apple indicated in this last week's quarterly earnings conference call that like Mavericks, all future releases of its Mac operating system will be free upgrades through the Mac App Store.

;)

.::Fabio::.

.::Fabio::.

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 8,598 posts

Excellent news

Fabio

lorenzosjb

lorenzosjb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Eventually we will purchase any Apple product

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OS X, 10.9

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy