Apple announces OS X Mavericks available today for free

XLR

25 posts in this topic

Apple has done something it hasn’t done before with a major release of OS X, announcing today during its iPad event that it will release OS X Mavericks, the latest version of its desktop OS, later today for free to all users.

Mavericks is available starting today for iMac and MacBook Pros from 2007 or later, 2008 MacBook Air, MacBook, and Mac Pro or later, and the 2009 Mac mini or later.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/22/apple-announces-os-x-mavericks-available-today-for-free/

• Like 4

OS X is now freeware!

Yeah, i'm are downloading now! =D

2,63GB of 5,3GB now! 16:40 BRT (Without Daylight Saving)

4,03GB of 5,3GB now! 16:59 BRT (Without Daylight Saving)

4,76GB of 5,3GB now! 17:09 BRT (Without Daylight Saving)

5,3GB of 5,3GB now! 17:18 BRT (Without Daylight Saving)

Captura_de_Tela_2013_10_22_s_15_59_29.pn

Captura_de_Tela_2013_10_22_s_17_18_38.pn

Edited by kikomaxx

I already have the GM, so it's not appearing as an update for my main machine. The other two hacks i have reported the update, but since they have unsupported hardware, i'll wait for a custom kernel. Two questions:

1) By downloading Mavericks from the App Store, the update proceeds immediately after the download, like other software updates, or can we store the installer and update when see fit?

2) Is it probable Apple makes it available as a "combo" upgrade (just like the combo update) directly from the support site?

All the best!

• Like 1

I already have the GM, so it's not appearing as an update for my main machine. The other two hacks i have reported the update, but since they have unsupported hardware, i'll wait for a custom kernel. Two questions:

1) By downloading Mavericks from the App Store, the update proceeds immediately after the download, like other software updates, or can we store the installer and update when see fit?

2) Is it probable Apple makes it available as a "combo" upgrade (just like the combo update) directly from the support site?

All the best!

i guess it will be only in app store and can be stored as well.

EDIT. yes, it says mavericks is already installed and if i want to download the installer i should press continue...

• Like 1

Yeah, i'm are downloading now! =D

2,63GB of 5,3GB now! 16:40 BRT (Without Daylight Saving)

4,03GB of 5,3GB now! 16:59 BRT (Without Daylight Saving)

4,76GB of 5,3GB now! 17:09 BRT (Without Daylight Saving)

5,3GB of 5,3GB now! 17:18 BRT (Without Daylight Saving)

Captura_de_Tela_2013_10_22_s_15_59_29.pn

Captura_de_Tela_2013_10_22_s_17_18_38.pn

The same last build

Captura_de_Tela_2013_10_22_s_17_24_36.pn

Only App Store.

hi

and what happens if you try to download it via Terminal?

sudo softwareupdate -l --> to see the list of all available updates

sudo softwareupdate -d -r --> to download all available updates

the update(s) will be found here: Volume/Library/Updates

I never really thought Apple would give an operating system for free lol. Great success! B) But what does this mean for the hackintosh community? Apple already supports hackintoshes (the AppleExcludeKext proves everything), and with this free OS, its as if Apple want us to adopt OS X to increase its marketshare. Apple made a good move here.

I never really thought Apple would give an operating system for free lol. Great success! B) But what does this mean for the hackintosh community? Apple already supports hackintoshes (the AppleExcludeKext proves everything), and with this free OS, its as if Apple want us to adopt OS X to increase its marketshare. Apple made a good move here.

The existence of hackintosh kexts in the exclude list" proves nothing. Well, it may prove that they don't care that we use the OS on hacks. But ignoring IS NOT supporting!

i think their focus is to end fragmentation with many people still using 10.6 and hoping they will jump on a free upgrade 

It's pretty much a no brainer for all those that were doubting, even more so considering that Mavericks is extremely good.

• Like 2